Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Tatsuta Age posted:

Mega man 2 is one of the best platforming games of all time you freakin dummies

it is if you grew up with NES, or hell even SNES era platformers

people have better standards now, I adore mega man and want him to mega buster me from all directions 24/7 but the nostalgia is insane when it comes to MM2

I even played and enjoyed the gently caress out of mega man network transmission, trust me on my Mega Qualifications here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tatsuta Age posted:

Mega man 2 is one of the best platforming games of all time you freakin dummies

But it’s old so obviously you only like it for nostalgia.:smug:

Yeah, it holds up well. I only had trouble at the boss rush at the end since I’m terrible at fighting some of the robot masters. Quick Man.:argh:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

KingSlime posted:

people have better standards now, I adore mega man and want him to mega buster me from all directions 24/7 but the nostalgia is insane when it comes to MM2

Well the music, robot masters and levels in this game are what people remember; its relevance in gaming culture was immortalized

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4VtxWRfPOk

So for any of its possibly archaic mechanics, it's still a good starting point

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SeANMcBAY posted:

The other “life bar” is the energy for an equipped weapon.

Why do you keep playing when you clearly don’t like the game? It’s not going to change much if you don’t like Mega Man 2 so I wouldn’t even bother with the rest.

I paid forty dollars for ten games, I'm not just gonna play a couple levels and call the whole thing bad and throw it away. Besides, people say they're good and I usually like anime games

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Spellman posted:

I don't disagree, but GG, who is having a miserable time with the collection would be better served by trying the later entries to figure out if he really hates mega man or just '80s video game jank

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I paid forty dollars for ten games, I'm not just gonna play a couple levels and call the whole thing bad and throw it away. Besides, people say they're good and I usually like anime games

Skip 3 for now then and try 4/5/6. They’re a bit easier and more friendly to people new to the series.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

KingSlime posted:

I even played and enjoyed the gently caress out of mega man network transmission, trust me on my Mega Qualifications here

That's it, I knew I had played Megaman games before, it was the Battle Network series! I liked the Battle Network games a lot.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Last I played Megaman 2 was on the 3ds and it's amazing how well it holds up. I think it beats out 3 just for being the last MM where the rock-paper-scissors made any goddam sense and you could guess at it without a guide.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
oh man I really want another BN game :sigh:

Yeah NT was the weirdest cross between battle network and classic mega man and holy poo poo it was insane, even if the execution could have been much much better. Waiting for the custom gauge to fill up while running around on a 2D plane was insanely cool yet frustrating

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I like Mega Man 3 a lot but I wouldn't say it doesn't have its issues.

-The game has kind of unpolished level design compared to other games in the series including Mega Man 2. For instance, in Top Man's stage you fight two cat robots. The first fight is harder because there's a wall behind you so its projectiles can hit the wall and bounce back in the other direction. The second fight has no such wall so they just go offscreen. The challenge ramp is going in the wrong direction.

- The game is horribly mismanaged with regards to lag. The NES MM games all have their minor issues with this but in MM3 it is a major problem, such as in the Doc robot version of the Needle Man level where you have to use the rushjet and the game just slows to a crawl.

-The Doc robot fights are a neat concept executed horribly. Since they're larger than their original incarnations it is hard to dodge most of their contact damage attacks.

-People like to point out the metal blade being overpowered as a point against MM2 but MM3 was no better with the Shadow Blade, it just isn't as good compared to the Metal Blade, which isn't a fair comparison since they're not in the same game.

-The Wily stages mostly feel unfinished and are strangely short and lack challenge, and the game just rains powerups through most of them.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

KingSlime posted:

I don't disagree, but GG, who is having a miserable time with the collection would be better served by trying the later entries to figure out if he really hates mega man or just '80s video game jank

I'm not having a terrible time, I guess I'm just surprised. I'm going in with zero nostalgia, and Megaman 1 and 2 very clearly show their age to me.

But I don't care how much you enjoyed the game, the background for the Bubbleman stage is inexcusable

I wish I could find a gif, because that's the only way to really get across how horribly headache inducing it is

Spellman
May 31, 2011

drat, a level that looks like your average MySpace page in the early 2000s

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeaaah that background right there has 80sgaming.jpg written all over it. The music for that stage makes up for it imo

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Spellman posted:

Well the music, robot masters and levels in this game are what people remember; its relevance in gaming culture was immortalized

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4VtxWRfPOk

It'd be rad if every mega man song was redone ala SSB4 remixes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO4sbmHFh3o

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
there's a whole world of mega man remixes out there, friendo, and don't even get me started on guitar covers, drum covers, etc

it kicks rear end, mega man has such good music

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

KingSlime posted:

there's a whole world of mega man remixes out there, friendo

it kicks rear end, mega man has such good music

Sorry that was an incomplete thought. Redone and inserted into the game. Imagine playing these games with music like that!

This Mega Man 9 rock medley is one of the all time greatest hits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cA06uWV_-c&t=1s

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Checked My Nintendo for the first time in a while and man does it seem forgotten it besides encouraging mobile cross-pollination for accessories. Everything else is chaff or game coupons, most specific to WiiU or n3DS. I can get a decent deal on Majora's Mask 3D at the very least, but it makes you wonder why they bothered relaunching Club Nintendo in this state instead of just cutting it loose.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

Sorry that was an incomplete thought. Redone and inserted into the game. Imagine playing these games with music like that!

Oooh yeah, that'd be dope. I had a roommate who injected full blown rock cover versions of MMX songs into a rom, which he played on a WiiU. It was absolutely glorious! He also had a symphonic version of alttp

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4632ulEnNc
Smash Ultimate is getting a cool Wood Man remix. Hopefully we get a bunch more.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

my advice is to trade in Megaman Collection and wait until the X Legacy. Megaman X was actually created by humans who had experience with what a videogame is and how it could be good as opposed to some of the NES games where making a Good Game was like still a runic mystery we had to figure out

I'm kidding but there are def parts in Megaman 1+2 wherein even if they weren't that hard those parts are still extremely annoying. Also I recommend Mighty Gunvolt Burst or the Gunvolt collection which are tweaked at a more acceptable difficulty level.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

DLC Inc posted:

my advice is to trade in Megaman Collection and wait until the X Legacy. Megaman X was actually created by humans who had experience with what a videogame is and how it could be good as opposed to some of the NES games where making a Good Game was like still a runic mystery we had to figure out

I'm kidding but there are def parts in Megaman 1+2 wherein even if they weren't that hard those parts are still extremely annoying. Also I recommend Mighty Gunvolt Burst or the Gunvolt collection which are tweaked at a more acceptable difficulty level.

This is fine but stick to X collection 1. The back half of the franchise is a mess.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4632ulEnNc
Smash Ultimate is getting a cool Wood Man remix. Hopefully we get a bunch more.

huh, apparently perfect shields generate the yellow eye effect.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The X series after X4 is worse than anything in the entire classic series.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

DLC Inc posted:

Seconding the Mighty Gunvolt Burst recommendation. I bought that randomly before traveling a few months ago and it was great.

Nep-Nep posted:

This is fine but stick to X collection 1. The back half of the franchise is a mess.

Does having both X collection 1 & 2 unlock anything or did I imagine that?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
OK, now I know that people who talk about how great Megaman 2 is and how it holds up are deluded. The ladder maze is genuinely the worst designed section of any game I've played on the Switch. That is loving awful.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuxfQjJ-3DM

Extremely Good

Guy Goodbody posted:

OK, now I know that people who talk about how great Megaman 2 is and how it holds up are deluded. The ladder maze is genuinely the worst designed section of any game I've played on the Switch. That is loving awful.

well it's no Troll & I that's for sure

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Has anyone seen this regarding per-owned games?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/8sjwhg/warning_nintendo_are_banning_game_cards/

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
yeah, I'm sure modders will find a way around it nearly instantly while random consumers will end up with a cart that needs to be refunded/simply can't go online

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Motto posted:

Checked My Nintendo for the first time in a while and man does it seem forgotten it besides encouraging mobile cross-pollination for accessories. Everything else is chaff or game coupons, most specific to WiiU or n3DS. I can get a decent deal on Majora's Mask 3D at the very least, but it makes you wonder why they bothered relaunching Club Nintendo in this state instead of just cutting it loose.

You can apply Gold Coins towards Switch purchases now.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Only things I will concede that are bad from MM2 are the disappearing blocks from Heat Man, and a boss from one of the Wily stages.

Yes, Item-2 trivializes the blocks, but using it almost feels like a necessity.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/sound/index.html
theres blasted Splatoon music remixs?!?! Gah!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
drat my hype for Mario tennis has been crushed. I was hoping for a long single player experience. Guess I’ll wait for reactions and stick to hollow knight in the meantime.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kazy posted:

You can apply Gold Coins towards Switch purchases now.

Just noticed that, but the 100 points to $1 rate makes me doubt that they're ever gonna do switch coupons.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Nep-Nep posted:

I was briefly expecting that story to end in "and I accidentally left my Switch in the pot and the joycons don't taste very good slowcooked."

You fool! Instant pots are pressure cookers! You mean to say they don't taste very good fast cooked.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

The X series after X4 is worse than anything in the entire classic series.

totally agree, the first half of the x legacy collection is the Good Half. The one with Axel is some repugnant poo poo

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

jetpackhewy posted:

Only things I will concede that are bad from MM2 are the disappearing blocks from Heat Man, and a boss from one of the Wily stages.

Yes, Item-2 trivializes the blocks, but using it almost feels like a necessity.

Boobeam Trap (yes that's the name) is a nightmare if you dont conserve crash bombs throughout the level, and Mega Man 2 doesn't have W tanks.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Even with save states that whole level is miserable

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I always used to just die for that one. Refill the tank on the way back.

I got through Metal Man's stage & boss fight without a death. Much better than my shot at MM3.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Motto posted:

Funny thing about this is that whoever is running My Nintendo forgot or didn't care about accounting for the shift in gold coin value. So before, when a $60 game rewarded 60 gold coins, a retail Wii U game required around 150 gold coins for a $20 discount or so. Spend $150, get a $20 discount... whatever.

Now that $60 games reward 300 coins? Spend just $30, get 150 gold coins, redeem for a $20 discount on a $60 retail title.

The selection is still too sparse and I prefer the way other companies just, you know, have sales... but if there's a game you DO want there, gold coins now go a lot farther on those discounts than the $0.30 to $1.50 they save on a switch game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Reality Loser posted:

Boobeam Trap (yes that's the name) is a nightmare if you dont conserve crash bombs throughout the level, and Mega Man 2 doesn't have W tanks.

That's the one. Even with full weapon energy, the player can only miss 2-3 shots of Crash Bomb.

• Locked thread