Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
They really would pair nicely as a pair to the Maiden's Sisterhood. It would give some good variety, but I think it might end up part Abbey, part Sisterhood, part Animal House, and part military monster hunting fraternity from Buffy. Not that any of that would be a problem, but it's certainly hanging out in a similar space as some other compacts already. It could be plenty of fun to play.

Loomer posted:

Does an aggressive elder Brujah from Lacedaemon supervising a training camp for Anarch militants count?

That's pretty close.

Chicago/GTA setting would definitely raise completely different issues to use an existing setting versus a new one. There's really probably about a similar amount of work either way. The benefit to using the existing Chicago oWoD info is that you have a giant file full of vampires who already live there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Loomer posted:

Does an aggressive elder Brujah from Lacedaemon supervising a training camp for Anarch militants count?

Are they all really gay? If not then no deal :colbert:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

hangedman1984 posted:

Are they all really gay? If not then no deal :colbert:

They're as gay as any pre-modern man can be.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Loomer posted:

They're as gay as any pre-modern man can be.

So quite gay?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

hangedman1984 posted:

So quite gay?

Either quite gay or not gay at all, depending on if one believes that the categories of gay/homosexual can be meaningfully mapped to pre-modern sexualities or whether they are too fundamentally infected with the developments of early modern Western philosophy and the Western (Abrahamic) religious tradition or not.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Lupercalcalcal posted:

At the start of each session I give each player five beats, and take five for myself, in the form of poker chips.

Anytime someone does something you think is cool, flavourful, improves the game or drives the story in an interesting direction, give them a beat from that pile.

Any you get awarded, you keep. Any you didn't hand out at the end of the game are lost. As GM I make sure to reward players that others aren't focusing on.

this is a fantastic idea & i really love it, thank you

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

this is a fantastic idea & i really love it, thank you

No problem. There's something tangibly awesome about physical tossing someone xp when they do something great and it's improved the tone and mood of games tremendously. People take time to buy in more to each other, push their choices towards things that are cool or dramatic far more, and are less worried about gaming the system.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Currently in the process of making an AA mage whose concept can basically be summed up as "scandalous philanthropist/retired monster/lion in winter" - general idea is that he's past middle age and has squandered a fortune on things like what both The Hunt Club and Ashwood Abbey would find juuuust on the line of acceptable. Basically after a life of casual cruelty and debauchery he zigged instead of zagged and ended up not, you know, being the Abyssal sacrifice that he was being groomed for.

The one problem that I'm running in to is that I don't want to play him as yet another high Resources character - whatever money he had in his youth has been spent on either sybaritic pleasures or has publicly donated to a charitable trust in an effort to redeem his reputation. Any tips on Merits and the like to focus on instead? Where he's more about looking some wealthy person in the eye and going "I know what you really get up to at your private hunting lodge" to make them sign a fat check.

His Path (Mastigos) is figured out and I'm leaning towards Spirit/Life instead of Fate like my last character. Just hitting a stumbling point on the initial mundane stuff.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I've just wrapped up a fairly basic way to represent the classic WoD dice mechanic, botches and all. It was way easier than I thought it was going to be.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Want to play some Vampire over the internets? In my wildest dreams, this will be the tabletop equivalent of the kind of sandbox Vampire game we all want Paradox to make.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

kaynorr posted:

Want to play some Vampire over the internets? In my wildest dreams, this will be the tabletop equivalent of the kind of sandbox Vampire game we all want Paradox to make.
Got me all excited and then

kaynorr posted:

Sessions will be Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday starting at 7 PM PST.
Do this friday or saturday (or bump the time up like 3 hours) and I am so in.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Beast gives you shitloads of beats for playing your character in the dumbest, most sociopathic fashion and the BPG basically encourages you to do so.

Beasts are simultaneously perpetually offended soccer moms, and murderous incels, endlessly vacillating between those two extremes.

I can't believe Holden Shearer wrote Beast, and also raped people, as stated by many of our friends here!

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 20, 2018

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

I can't believe Holden Shearer wrote Beast, and also raped people, as stated by many of our friends here!

Matthew McFarland. Holden's written some dumb stuff, but there's no reason to believe he ever raped a sixteen-year-old girl.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

LatwPIAT posted:

Matthew McFarland. Holden's written some dumb stuff, but there's no reason to believe he ever raped a sixteen-year-old girl.

Excuse me, but I trust my buddy MonsieurChoc.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Working on implementing Garou now, to try and cut my teeth on moon cycles and timer events like that. Does anyone have alternatives for Metis? I'm not going to put it in the game because it's just plain hosed and I get to exercise some creative control here. I'm currently thinking of just calling them the Disgrace or the Pariah breed.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Bedlamdan posted:

Excuse me, but I trust my buddy MonsieurChoc.

Hey!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Loomer posted:

Working on implementing Garou now, to try and cut my teeth on moon cycles and timer events like that. Does anyone have alternatives for Metis? I'm not going to put it in the game because it's just plain hosed and I get to exercise some creative control here. I'm currently thinking of just calling them the Disgrace or the Pariah breed.

Honestly, I sort of like the fact that there's a "Third breed" of "purebred werewolves" as that's something unique that W:TA Has, but the fact that they're a miscengenation metaphor and named after a real life group of people is what makes it bad, the fact that they use it to slutshame is worse. If anything I would just have them be there, give them a different name, they can stay sterile, maybe deformed, probably not, but not have them be outcasts. People who grow up in the sept their entire life and never have to deal with the veil would make the best loremasters, ritemasters, defenders, etc, since they can start training from childhood like normal apprentaces rather than waiting until their teenage years or later.

Just use W:TF's 2nd's interpretation of that rule of the litany.
Every so often two packmates bump uglies and pop out a !Metis, whoopity do, are they still having human/wolf kids otherwise? Fine, stop rubbing their noses in it.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Oh yeah, the basic concept is definitely staying. I just don't want to label it Metis cause, well, yeah. I do like that idea so I might take that slant with it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Just use W:TF's 2nd's interpretation of that rule of the litany.
Every so often two packmates bump uglies and pop out a !Metis, whoopity do, are they still having human/wolf kids otherwise? Fine, stop rubbing their noses in it.

Ah, they went away from the demonic ghost children thing?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. They kept the tenet as "the uratha shall cleave to the human", but they re-interpreted it as meaning "you have to maintain your human connections" rather than "no fuckin' each other".

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Loomer posted:

Abomination if it wasn’t already a thing. Monstrosity. Monstrum if you want the dog Latin of Homid and Lupus.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Yes, Unihar are gone and The "Uratha must cleave to the human" is now interpreted as "Stop being so loving wolfy and alpha predator." since Harmony is now a balancing act between your wolf and human sides rather than "BE WOLF! BE MORE WOLF! BE ALL WOLF!" So if you have a particularly successful string of hunts and eat a bunch of Essence you might need to balance that out with some fast food and a binge anime session with your best buds if you don't want to go insane and go into the death rage because someone 3 blocks away stubbed their toe.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
so the only things I know about this setting are from an old podcast called Massively Online Gamer where one of the hosts started working on the MMO with CCP Games. Recommend me a book, article, or video so I can learn good and play.

Thanks in advance.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Herr Tog posted:

so the only things I know about this setting are from an old podcast called Massively Online Gamer where one of the hosts started working on the MMO with CCP Games. Recommend me a book, article, or video so I can learn good and play.

Thanks in advance.

Before I was committed enough to buy a bunch of PDFs for games I might not get to play for months or years, I wasted enjoyed spending a lot of time just reading the wiki: http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Chronicles_of_Darkness

Look for anything marked "Chronicles of Darkness" or "New World of Darkness"; anything just marked WoD or "Old World of Darkness" is a different setting with its own large and very mixed baggage.

The core rulebook (Chronicles of Darkness 2nd Edition) has a pretty good overview of the basics from a regular human perspective, but since the game is divided into a lot of different lines (or "splats") for different kinds of monsters / PCs a lot of them emphasize very different aspects than the core book.

The three major splats are Vampire: The Requiem, Werewolf: The Forsaken, and Mage: The Awakening. (The subtitles are important because Vampire: The Masquerade is a completely different game in a different setting, etc.) These get a ton of ongoing support and are generally the easiest to find players or GMs for.

Vampire is a game about being an immortal parasite and figuring out how to live with yourself. Werewolf is a game about being an insanely powerful engine of violence facing problems that violence can't actually solve, and Mage is about a resistance movement against the living, incarnate concepts of Tyranny if your GM is fun, and about the arrogance of trying to actually do anything about it your GM is a weenie. (Really it's both, I'm just wearing my biases on my sleeve. :v: )

The minor splats include Demon, Promethean, Changeling, Geist, Hunter, Mummy, and Beast, plus the not-yet-released Deviant.

Demon: The Descent is a mash-up of "you play as a rogue program in The Matrix" and Cold War-style spy thrillers. It's incredibly unique and a lot more sci-fi focused than most nWoD content and my personal favorite of any of the nWoD games. If you've ever seen Person of Interest, that show is very close to the tone of Demon, although Demon is more explicitly supernatural.

Promethean: The Created is a game about being Pinocchio / Frankenstein's monster and trying to become human by experiencing every aspect of humanity -- despite the fact that everything in the world instinctively hates you and staying in one place for too long will cause supernatural firestorms. It is the best game that nobody plays and I'm incredibly happy to have recently found a GM to run it for me.

Changeling: The Lost is about regular people who were kidnapped by fairies, abused, tortured, and transformed into something new. It's a game of tonal extremes -- it's totally plausible and even expected that you'd have one scene where your troop of Changeling swashbucklers have daring duels with heinous villains in one scene, and conversely people support each other through their shared trauma and try to regain some semblance of human normalcy in another. It has a second edition coming out very soon so a lot of the old books may soon be outdated or revised.

Geist: The Sin-Eaters is sort of a mess. It's about people who died, agreed to share their body with a specific type of powerful ghost, and came back to life for a second chance (and to help other ghosts resolve their problems.) The first edition of the game has runaway power inflation, needlessly complicated abilities, and doesn't really do a great job of emphasizing why you would want to help other ghosts or ever interact with the Underworld. Luckily, it also has a second edition coming out in the not-too-distant future, which looks fantastic; it's the upcoming release I'm most excited for.

Hunter: The Vigil is a game about assorted weirdoes and obsessives who hunt monsters, and usually are the worse off for it. I personally don't know much about it because that's not my cup of tea, but by most reports it's a pretty good game and it might give you some more insight into the "regular human" perspective, or at the least the "human" perspective.

Mummy: The Curse is a really bizarre game with a lot of throwbacks to the oWoD in terms of mechanics and fluff that, near as I can tell, is almost completely disconnected from all the other nWoD fluff. Again, I don't know it that well, if the game actually has one whole fan on these forums maybe they can offer a more positive pitch.

Deviant: The Renegades we don't know much about yet, and it's a ways off still, but the pitch is basically "play as Tetsuo or Carrie or Eleven and seek revenge against the people who made you."

Beast: The Primordial is an nasty, confused game about being an abuse elemental and justifying it to yourself, which was bad enough by itself, and then it came out that the lead designer raped a minor years ago which puts the whole thing in even worse light. (In the interest of full disclosure: he also worked on Demon and Promethean, but wasn't lead design on either of those projects, and I've never found anything remotely as offensive in them.) I recommend avoiding it as hard as you can.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 20, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Mummy is a really bizarre game with a lot of throwbacks to the oWoD in terms of mechanics and fluff that, near as I can tell, is almost completely disconnected from all the other nWoD fluff. Again, I don't know it that well, if the game actually has one whole fan on these forums maybe they can offer a more positive pitch.

Nah, Daeren's always admitted Mummy's not a great game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mummy's cult rules are pretty good and stand to be ripped out and put in something else.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

You (and a few others) repeatedly claimed that Holden committed Matt McFarland's crimes, i.e. rape, and even worse, writing Beast, because you were upset that Holden got people to retweet a joke about Elon Musk!

I don't know what precisely was so upsetting about that, maybe jokes themselves are foul or Elon Musk is our hero, but you guys were really set on making sure people confused a probable rapist and child molester for some nerd who wrote an upsetting kickstarter post half a decade ago. I doubt it was because you were genuinely confused, you certainly were mad enough at McFarland himself after he banned you from rpg.net for not being sufficiently thrilled about Beast.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Mummy: The Curse is a really bizarre game with a lot of throwbacks to the oWoD in terms of mechanics and fluff that, near as I can tell, is almost completely disconnected from all the other nWoD fluff. Again, I don't know it that well, if the game actually has one whole fan on these forums maybe they can offer a more positive pitch.

I wouldn't recommend Mummy to anyone unconditionally, but I really like it. I think it could really benefit from a 2nd Edition to clean up some of the thematic and mechanic mess it is, but the core idea is one playing with memories, one of my favorite themes. It's a game that's really designed to be run non-chronologically, with going from one time period to the next, sometimes within the same scene. If the focus on timelines and memory were more a core mechanic rather than just theme, it'd be a lot more compelling.

But the basic pitch is that you are Arisen, a magical construct created from the soul of an artisan in an ancient city of legend, where sorcerer-priests embalmed all of their servants to serve them for eternity and the city was destroyed in some uncertain cataclysm, and pieces of that original ur-culture (Relics) arise both in the works of people influenced by ancestral memory or uncovering old shards. Mummies were not kings or aristocrats but essentially servants and craftsmen, but have forgotten how to create, only remembering how to use the items. The best metaphor I've heard with how to deal with Relics is treating them like how post-apocalyptic settings treat high-tech, and its a fitting metaphor for how the Mummies and their Guilds view the world and try to keep the lore alive.

Mummies have a different structure for advancement. They start at 10 in their power stat and "Descend" from there over time. They essentially have a time limit based on the purpose they were summoned by their Cult, which through the mummy usually worship and serve a Judge, a strange god-like being in the Underworld. The Cult occupies a place where they are both obedient to the mummy, but also have power over it, and are just as much a character. They often suggest that people play members of the cult (including the "half-mummy" sadikh template, ghosts, and sorcerers or even other supernaturals) and one person play the Mummy. I've done this with troupe style play and it works pretty OK, but the game mechanics really aren't built for that in mind and it'd be a lot more interesting if Mummy powers were based around this concept instead of just making them individually powerful. Utterances work great: They are basically the big setting-changing magics that are interesting for a mummy to have (for the most part), but Affinities suck thematically for making Mummies interesting, a lot of the time.

The game works really really well for that kind of pulp horror feel, but you gotta really embrace it and go really gonzo. I tend to make Irem, the ur-culture, very Stargate/Ancient Aliens like and add some sci-fi elements, and expand its cultural milieu to a little beyond the purely Not-Egypt stuff, but much like with all the First Tongue stuff with Forsaken, it's kind of a matter of taste. I love all that Egyptology poo poo so I don't throw it out completely and it really ties things together thematically, I just make allowances more for different influences.

If you are interested in trying it, I recommend having each character come up with a mummy, and then together creating either a single cult that ties all of them, or a few related ones (but still collaboratively), and then cycle through highlighting each mummy, with the occasional session that has more than one (or all) active, and don't be afraid to just throw ideas of linear time out the window and jump around all the time, using whatever waking mummies as the subjective observer for the timeline. I also generally basically abandon the concept of Memory as the morality equivalent. It might be worth taking more like Harmony, if I took a second crack at converting it I might try that. I have a half-finished 2e conversion for the game I ran, which tried to simplify a lot of things.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Promethean: The Created is a game about being Pinocchio / Frankenstein's monster and trying to become human by experiencing every aspect of humanity -- despite the fact that everything in the world instinctively hates you and staying in one place for too long will cause supernatural firestorms. It is the best game that nobody plays and I'm incredibly happy to have recently found a GM to run it for me.

Beast: The Primordial is an nasty, confused game about being an abuse elemental and justifying it to yourself, which was bad enough by itself, and then it came out that the lead designer raped a minor years ago which puts the whole thing in even worse light. (In the interest of full disclosure: he also worked on Demon and Promethean, but wasn't lead design on either of those projects, and I've never found anything remotely as offensive in them.) I recommend avoiding it as hard as you can.

An interesting comparison arose between the two as I've been reading the former. Both games ostensibly encourage the PC to do morally bad things, like Frankenstein's Monster throwing the little girl into the lake because they were throwing flowers. In Promethean it's an example of what not to do. These are things that make you less than human and lead to Torment and all sorts of nasty stuff, and keep Prometheans on their path to becoming real live people. In Beast you do nasty stuff to innocent people because... well, you're an abuse elemental and anybody you do it to has it coming because you need to abuse them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

You (and a few others) repeatedly claimed that Holden committed Matt McFarland's crimes, i.e. rape, and even worse, writing Beast, because you were upset that Holden got people to retweet a joke about Elon Musk!

I don't know what precisely was so upsetting about that, maybe jokes themselves are foul or Elon Musk is our hero, but you guys were really set on making sure people confused a probable rapist and child molester for some nerd who wrote an upsetting kickstarter post half a decade ago. I doubt it was because you were genuinely confused, you certainly were mad enough at McFarland himself after he banned you from rpg.net for not being sufficiently thrilled about Beast.

This is some rather impressive hyperbole on your part there.

Dawgstar posted:

An interesting comparison arose between the two as I've been reading the former. Both games ostensibly encourage the PC to do morally bad things, like Frankenstein's Monster throwing the little girl into the lake because they were throwing flowers. In Promethean it's an example of what not to do. These are things that make you less than human and lead to Torment and all sorts of nasty stuff, and keep Prometheans on their path to becoming real live people. In Beast you do nasty stuff to innocent people because... well, you're an abuse elemental and anybody you do it to has it coming because you need to abuse them.

The parts of the BPG written by people who aren't BHM do a 180 on the players guide, more or less. You are born a Beast and you need to feed. But this makes you a monster, it also probably makes you evil. Any excuses about teaching lessons and punishing the guilty are figleafs made by Beasts(and probably the beasts played by human beings) to make themselves feel human and justified.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kurieg posted:

This is some rather impressive hyperbole on your part there.

Well, just as long as we remember to remain relaxed and chill should I ever decide to get confused and conflate Aatrek with Ettin to throw shade on the forums, or something else equally hosed up yet also petty.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bedlamdan posted:

Well, just as long as we remember to remain relaxed and chill should I ever decide to get confused and conflate Aatrek with Ettin to throw shade on the forums, or something else equally hosed up yet also petty.

Man I appreciate your perspective on RPG stuff sometimes but right now you're being really weird about something that was almost certainly an honest mistake.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Loomer posted:

Oh yeah, the basic concept is definitely staying. I just don't want to label it Metis cause, well, yeah. I do like that idea so I might take that slant with it.

Rename them to something that reflects they're more tied to the spirit aspect of their nature over wolf or man. Something like Blessed, Favored or some such. It's too much ghost monster and not enough flesh monster in the end.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Man I appreciate your perspective on RPG stuff sometimes but right now you're being really weird about something that was almost certainly an honest mistake.

If it was, then I’m genuinely sorry!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Bedlamdan posted:

Beasts are simultaneously perpetually offended soccer moms, and murderous incels, endlessly vacillating between those two extremes.

I, too, find that very difficult to believe, Bedlamdan.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Deviant sounds like it's going to own.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Deviant sounds like it's going to own.

yeah with the current focus on Deplorable BabyJail I can see the horror of institutional violence as some RIPE motherfucking fodder for stories. curious how much of a prison industrial complex the antagonists are going to have.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

yeah with the current focus on Deplorable BabyJail I can see the horror of institutional violence as some RIPE motherfucking fodder for stories. curious how much of a prison industrial complex the antagonists are going to have.

I don't know if it will work out in the end, but right now I'm thinking of using it to resurrect Pentex for CofD.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Bedlamdan posted:

If I ever made a post mistaking Holden for Matt, I'm sorry about it because they are different people. Also I don't know if McFarland was the one who banned me from rpg.net: I got perma-banned after a meltdown over getting bullshit temp-banned over disliking Beast.

I do believe in making of Elon Musk who is a complete moron though. For that I will not apologize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

MonsieurChoc posted:

If I ever made a post mistaking Holden for Matt, I'm sorry about it because they are different people. Also I don't know if McFarland was the one who banned me from rpg.net: I got perma-banned after a meltdown over getting bullshit temp-banned over disliking Beast.

I do believe in making of Elon Musk who is a complete moron though. For that I will not apologize.
He makes a great Promethean antagonist though.

Hey everyone, totally a Demiurge here, please ignore all the Pandorans. They are the results of sabotage. The Qashmallim think I'm great.