Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aesop Poprock posted:

Hey fellow Lancaster person. My dads best friends twin daughters were friends with this kid, who murdered his girlfriends parents and tried to flee the state and has the most 2005 Lancaster teenager haircut possible

https://lancasteronline.com/news/ludwig-gets-life/article_04a1e298-3255-56aa-a312-7b990f4717b1.html

Hello friend,

My HS buddy was neighbors with the parents of the girl that was kidnapped and they were killed. I feel like we've been over this in some thread before and you went to either warwick or township, or lived there and went to country day or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it was Warwick. That last case gives me a big Nebraska from Bruce Springsteen vibe for whatever reason

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Unnerving, but also a miraculous stroke of cinematic luck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Black_(serial_killer)

Robert Black was a nasty little man nicknamed "Smelly Bobby Tulip" by his classmates. He showed antisocial tendencies from a young age and quickly graduated to child molestation, followed by child kidnapping and murdering. He's believed to have killed at least 4 young girls and attempted to abduct at least one teenage girl, who squeezed his testicles and bit his arm to escape from his van.

On July 14th 1990, Black was seen grabbing a child out of her yard. David Herkes, the retired postmaster mowing his yard across the street, quickly memorized the number plate of the van and called the police to report the abduction. 20 minutes later, as he was describing the van to the officers, he suddenly pointed behind them. "That's him! That's the same van!"

Not only had Black decided to backtrack to the scene of the crime after sexually assaulting the girl, one of the police officers he was driving toward just so happened to be her father. They leaped in front of the van and forced Black out, and the father got to personally save his daughter's life.

quote:

On a summer evening in 1963, Black encountered a seven-year-old girl playing alone in a park; he lured the child to a deserted air-raid shelter on the pretext of showing her some kittens. There he held the girl by the throat until she lost consciousness, then masturbated over her body.[13] The following day, Black was arrested and charged with lewd and libidinous behaviour.[14] A psychiatric examination suggested the incident was an isolated one, and that Black was not in need of treatment;[15] as a result he was admonished for the offence.

Uhhhh what the gently caress 1960s Scotland and/or Ireland

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Maaaan I've got a depressing day in work. Got a serial child rapist in the dock and I'm currently collating victim impact statements from the 7 and 8-year-olds he abused, all which are totally traumatised. The cherry on top is that the defence dug out medical reports from the mid-1970s explaining how the defendant was himself brutally sexually abused in a children's home and was catatonic and mute until his early teens.

What the hell is WITH Britain anyway?!

:negative:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'll :toxx: it. I bet there won't be a large scale violent uprising in the US in the next 8 years. If there is I owe you one box of 5.56mm and a case of canned soup.

Large scale violent uprising? You still can't get most people to even bother to vote in anything other than a Presidential election. And even then it's still not the entire population.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Aesop Poprock posted:

Uhhhh what the gently caress 1960s Scotland and/or Ireland

Everyone just got one free rape or murder. Isolated incident? Nah, you're fine! Everyone makes mistakes!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The-most-dangerous-game emulating Alaskan guy was considered not a suspect for raping and killing women, because he hadn’t been convicted of raping a woman in like eight years!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pick posted:

The-most-dangerous-game emulating Alaskan guy was considered not a suspect for raping and killing women, because he hadn’t been convicted of raping a woman in like eight years!

Man, the movie about him is terrible.

The episode of the FBI Files about him is good, though.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

chitoryu12 posted:

David Herkes, the retired postmaster mowing his yard across the street, quickly memorized the number plate of the van and called the police to report the abduction.
This guy is awesome.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

glad she is dead posted:

Maaaan I've got a depressing day in work. Got a serial child rapist in the dock and I'm currently collating victim impact statements from the 7 and 8-year-olds he abused, all which are totally traumatised. The cherry on top is that the defence dug out medical reports from the mid-1970s explaining how the defendant was himself brutally sexually abused in a children's home and was catatonic and mute until his early teens.

What the hell is WITH Britain anyway?!

:negative:

loving hell. Britain is just a Russian nesting doll of pedophilia. Well, I guess it would be more like a reverse Russian nesting doll, but you get my point.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
So I bit the bullet. I'm talking to a state EMS director soon about the Hennepin thing. If anyone has some questions they'd like to pose, feel free to PM me.

The national EMS officer organization hasn't yet issued a statement on Hennepin County's actions, so this director may be a little more reserved right now, but I think it'll be interesting.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm not made out of soup!
No, you're made of poop.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but this thread is along the right lines. Any good suggestions of unsolved crime/creepy poo poo like numbers stations etc podcasts that are good? I only started getting into listening to them, and a lot of them I've tried at random are kind of crap.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Tendai posted:

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but this thread is along the right lines. Any good suggestions of unsolved crime/creepy poo poo like numbers stations etc podcasts that are good? I only started getting into listening to them, and a lot of them I've tried at random are kind of crap.

Casefile is a fantastic podcast, and about a third of its episodes focus on unsolved murders/disappearances.

A recent example: http://casefilepodcast.com/case-83-chantelle-leela-mcdougall-tony-popic/

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

So I bit the bullet. I'm talking to a state EMS director soon about the Hennepin thing. If anyone has some questions they'd like to pose, feel free to PM me.

The national EMS officer organization hasn't yet issued a statement on Hennepin County's actions, so this director may be a little more reserved right now, but I think it'll be interesting.

thanks for doing this

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

china bot posted:

Casefile is a fantastic podcast, and about a third of its episodes focus on unsolved murders/disappearances.

A recent example: http://casefilepodcast.com/case-83-chantelle-leela-mcdougall-tony-popic/

I absolutely LOVE Casefiles, I've been binging my way through it, although I get a bit peeved when the murders/disappearances remain unsolved.

I just read this article, holy gently caress what a lovely, sad and dumb way to die. Poor woman.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/20/tributes-woman-died-trying-scratch-way-airing-cupboard-7646924/

quote:

The family of a woman who died after getting trapped in a hotel airing cupboard have paid tribute, saying her death ‘has left a huge hole in our lives’. Elizabeth Mary Isherwood scratched at the door and hammered through plaster work to try to escape after getting trapped in the space. The 60-year-old former policewoman was trapped naked in the room, unable to open the door after the lock disintegrated in her hand. Using the pipe, she attempted to break down a wall to free herself – but died from hypothermia after getting covered in water.

According to her family, Elizabeth was heard trying to free herself for more than 24 hours – however other hotel guests thought the banging coming from her room was maintenance work. The mum, who was known as Mary, from Wolverhampton, West Midlands, even managed to break down a pipe from the airing cupboard while trapped inside.

Using the pipe, she attempted to break down a wall to free herself – but died from hypothermia after getting covered in water. Her son, Craig, said: ‘She hadn’t even unpacked as when they found her body a week later her clothes and case were still in the room untouched.

‘We are all absolutely devastated to find out what happened. Mum was so sporty, fit, healthy, and loved playing golf. ‘If anyone could have got out of that cupboard it would have been Mum. ‘The inquest has brought it all back to us; it’s been a tough nine months and losing her has left a huge hole in our lives.’ Craig, 32, and ex-husband Clive, revealed that Mary had been staying at the timeshare, which the family co-owned, by herself, for a week.

Mary’s devastated family said that they are now considering taking legal action against Plas Talgarth. She was not found until a week later when water started to leak from the cupboard and staff went inside to investigate.

Craig, 32, and ex-husband Clive, revealed that Mary had been staying at the timeshare, which the family co-owned, by herself, for a week. She had gone for a drink with her ex-husband on Friday evening, before going to stay at the property. The couple had met in the police force, but split almost 30 years ago when Mary came out as a lesbian, but had always remained on good terms. Her family believe after going to bed that evening, without unpacking, the keen sports enthusiast woke in the middle of the night to use the en-suite bathroom.

On her way back to bed, her family believe Mary mistook the door to an airing cupboard as the door back into her bedroom and entered without realising where she was going. When the door closed behind her, Mary then attempted to leave the cupboard but the door handle fell off, trapping her inside. Her ex-husband, Clive Isherwood, 65, said: ‘Mary and I met for a drink on the Friday before she went to the time share. ‘It was our time share that we’d bought together when we were married but we’d recently sold it. Mary’s devastated family said that they are now considering taking legal action against Plas Talgarth.

‘The staff at the complex had given Mary some vouchers to use for a final stay. She would’ve usually gone with friends but nobody could make it during that week so she went alone. ‘We think she arrived there early on the Saturday, had gone for a swim and then gone back to the room after she’d checked in.

‘She’d gone to bed, then woke in the night to use the bathroom and had somehow managed to get trapped in the airing cupboard which is inside the en-suite bathroom. ‘The broken pipe sprayed water throughout the airing cupboard, leaving her drenched.’ The cold water and the fact she was naked brought on hypothermia which was given as the cause of death at an inquest held at Caernarfon earlier this week. Clive added: ‘We heard at the inquest that witnesses from the complex had heard banging on the Saturday night.

‘They didn’t report anything though as they thought it was maintenance work. ‘They’d said that the banging stopped at around 5pm on Sunday night and they thought nothing more of it. ‘Her body wasn’t found until the day she was due to check out which was a week later; so this happened right at the start of her trip. ‘Maintenance had been sent to investigate some leaking water and had found Mary’s body trapped in the cupboard.

‘It must have been awful for her, to be trapped in there. ‘She’d tried to use a broken pipe to claw her way out, and had made one hole in a wall, and another hole which we later found out, if she’d carried on banging, she probably could’ve escaped through. ‘She must’ve been exhausted which is why she stopped banging.’

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What the gently caress is an airing cupboard

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Basically a closet. Might have a boiler inside.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Gaius Marius posted:

Many people in the UK don't have clothes dryers. An airing cupboard is an independently-heated and -ventilated closet where you hang your washing instead of just sticking it on a drying rack, so the evaporating moisture doesn't cause mold and fungus to grow in the rest of your house.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

But how many refrigerators do your poor people have? Don't wanna brag, but 99.6% of American "poor" have them. :smug:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Besesoth posted:

Many people in the UK don't have clothes dryers. An airing cupboard is an independently-heated and -ventilated closet where you hang your washing instead of just sticking it on a drying rack, so the evaporating moisture doesn't cause mold and fungus to grow in the rest of your house.

Man if I was rich and british I'd import some loving clothes dryers jesus christ.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Milo and POTUS posted:

Man if I was rich and british I'd import some loving clothes dryers jesus christ.

god save the village green airing cupboard society

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I believe Green Sleeves is about airing cupboards, correct?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

china bot posted:

This made me laugh (happy day before Ray Davies's birthday).

Airing cupboards are fab -- we keep our towels and linens in the one in the bedroom. But I would not want to be trapped in there trying to fight my way out; that poor woman.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A lot of uk houses have big boilers that need some space to hide them away. Because the boiler is generally warm it is a nice space to keep towels and bedding in. Our current 1900ish house doesn't have one...but for reference this is what a typical airing cupboard looks like. I suspect the one this woman got trapped in was a little bigger.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

china bot posted:

:britain:

Also, that thing in the airing cupboard pic is the hot water tank, the boiler will be elsewhere.

How you get stuck in an airing cupboard is beyond me.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the recommendations, casefile is awesome. Everyone kept recommending sword and scale, but something about the guy kind of just annoyed me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

monkeytennis posted:

Also, that thing in the airing cupboard pic is the hot water tank, the boiler will be elsewhere.

I can't tell scale, but that looks small for a hot water tank. How the hell is someone gonna take a two hour long 110 degree shower while finishing two ice cold beers and leaning forehead first against the wall wondering how the hell their life moved by so fast?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

For those who recall the Georgia teen who died in a rolled up wrestling mat a few years ago, the family has received permission to exhume the body. This will be the third autopsy.

I want to shake the person(s) giving them advice. It was an awful tragedy, but someone keeps fueling the parents into thinking there is some vast conspiracy that involves the school, law enforcement and a ton of other people. They accused a classmate of murder, despite there being zero evidence.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RC and Moon Pie posted:

For those who recall the Georgia teen who died in a rolled up wrestling mat a few years ago, the family has received permission to exhume the body. This will be the third autopsy.

I want to shake the person(s) giving them advice. It was an awful tragedy, but someone keeps fueling the parents into thinking there is some vast conspiracy that involves the school, law enforcement and a ton of other people. They accused a classmate of murder, despite there being zero evidence.

I don’t know, I can see how a black family in the South could come to the conclusion that the police did a half asses investigation to protect someone else. There’s also just enough weird poo poo around this case that you kind of have to think “ maybe”.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Solice Kirsk posted:

loving hell. Britain is just a Russian nesting doll of pedophilia. Well, I guess it would be more like a reverse Russian nesting doll, but you get my point.

well it's been known for almost 20 years that you can't think of the British Isles without Paedoph in front of them

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I don’t know, I can see how a black family in the South could come to the conclusion that the police did a half asses investigation to protect someone else. There’s also just enough weird poo poo around this case that you kind of have to think “ maybe”.
Yeah, the sad thing is that accidental deaths can get very weird. I just hope the autopsy gives the family some closure.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I AM curious as to what they think they’ll find in an autopsy the third time around, from what I recall the funeral home lost all his organs and stuffed his cavity with newspaper.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I AM curious as to what they think they’ll find in an autopsy the third time around, from what I recall the funeral home lost all his organs and stuffed his cavity with newspaper.

maybe they think this excavation will reveal the side passage where they interred his canopic jars

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

RC and Moon Pie posted:

How is it possible to even perform an autopsy on a body thats been buried for like 3 years? I assume that the body wouldn't completely be decomposed but what additional information could be gained from examining the body at this point?

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Bath Tubs posted:

How is it possible to even perform an autopsy on a body thats been buried for like 3 years? I assume that the body wouldn't completely be decomposed but what additional information could be gained from examining the body at this point?

Well, if you're some sort of aggrandizing quack I bet you could just point to a random spot on some moldy remains and yell "HERE! Right here, proof of foul play, proof that no one but me could have found! Just kinda squint, and hold it in the light just so and you'll see it too! This OBVIOUSLY proves the conspiracy!". Then you just string the family along with false hope of closure, telling them someone specifically took their child from them, someone they could blame, not just some weird accident. I bet you could make a lot of money that way...................

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Bath Tubs posted:

Sometimes you can tell if certain drugs were present in the body even after significant decomposition has taken place, and bones can tell you some stuff, but any tissues tests are going to be pretty extremely skewed once embalming and stuff has taken place, so presumably any useful information would be in the bones and maybe the hair?

I really don't know.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
For One More Breath

If you didn't read the article, I'll summarize; in 1902, down in Tennessee's Fraterville Coal Mine, there was an explosion. There were 242 men down there; all but 26 were instantly killed. However, these 26 suffocated before rescuers could reach them, and below is a letter found with a body, one of many such letters. The man who wrote it, Jacob Vowell, had his 14 year old son with him.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leave has a new favorite as of 06:28 on Jun 21, 2018

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

monkeytennis posted:

Yeah my bad, I got that wrong. Still that actually makes more sense about it being warm in there all the time. Our family cat loved to sleep in the airing cupboard. :3:

The article says that the handle 'disintegrated in her hand ' which makes it sound like it crumbled to dust, like some cursed artefact.

Also that miner's letter. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

I remember some miners suffocated more recently, I believe in the US within the last 15 years, that also involved a goodbye note. It said something like "don't worry, it didn't hurt, I just fell asleep" :(