Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Zerf posted:

Err, no. They don't have thr ally slot icon, so they don't take a slot, so you can take multiple of them.

Ah, my bad. Wrote that without actually confirming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Even if they had the ally icon you could still have multiple as long as you had the slots.

They're only ever worth saving in multiplayer if they spawn in your train car though. Doing extra moves to get them (and getting dinged by the train cars an extra 1 or 2 times) is pretty much never worth it.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Any *general* deckbuilding tips for someone building their first deck?

I've played the game a few times with a friend, have the rules down well--played with precon decks. It's gonna be just the two of us for multiplayer, if that factor matters. No idea who we're playing as (though I'm leaning toward Roland). Not asking for a decklist, I love the deckbuilding experience and want to do it on my own, but also don't want to cobble together a steaming pile of poo poo due to inexperience.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'm relatively new but I just built a deck and saw what worked and what didn't. Maybe play the intro once or twice to see how it plays. If you find yourself wishing you had a specific resource (weapons, healing, etc) switch cards around. I had a few cards in my decks that seemed good but every time I drew them I'd end up wishing it was something else. The nice thing in these situations is even if it's not a card you want to play, you can at least commit them to tests.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TipTow posted:

I've played the game a few times with a friend, have the rules down well--played with precon decks. It's gonna be just the two of us for multiplayer, if that factor matters. No idea who we're playing as (though I'm leaning toward Roland). Not asking for a decklist, I love the deckbuilding experience and want to do it on my own, but also don't want to cobble together a steaming pile of poo poo due to inexperience.

I only really play three or four player games so this may not apply as much to two or one player games, but my #1 rule is to emphasize your strengths instead of trying to shore up your weaknesses.

Rule #2 is to make sure that your group has a reliable way to get clues.

My other rules apply more to gameplay than deckbuilding so I'll leave those out :v:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
In general, unless the investigator or deck gimmick works around it, avoid having too many assets in your deck. A maximum of maybe 10 assets would look good (e.g. 2x Flashlight, 2x Machete, 2x .45 Automatic Pistol, 2x Beat Cop, 2x Magnifying Glass), as that's already 1/3 of your deck, and they take time and a lot of resources to put out. Similarly, don't go too crazy with Skill cards, maybe 6 maximum (and they should really be worth it).

Those tips have generally worked for me, regardless of which investigator I'm playing.

IcePhoenix posted:

my #1 rule is to emphasize your strengths instead of trying to shore up your weaknesses.

This is good advice and should be considered when adding anything to your deck. If your main goal is to get into monsters' faces and pummel them, make sure your assets help you do that, your events help you get those assets out and get into monsters' faces, and your skill cards boost your ability to do so. The same goes for investigating, evading, etc.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I think the biggest hurdle I had to get over was spreading myself too thin rather than playing to the character’s strengths. I looked at the characters and went “ok I gotta try to pump that 2 stat regularly” and more and more I’m finding that’s a bad choice. Most of the time the game seems to be designed around making sure your characters are REALLY good at what they do. But that’s also when playing 2-player or 2-handed where you can easily balance weak areas with another person.

e:fb I suppose haha

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

TipTow posted:

A rule of thumb I use for a 30 card deck is 12 Assets, 10 Events, 8 Skills—somewhere around there should keep an average investigator balanced.

Start with thinking about what you want your deck to do and what cards are essential to that. Don’t get carried away with lots of cute combos that compete for deck space—focus on one thing and try to pick cards that help it along.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

TipTow posted:

The core (and the first) campaign are very combat heavy, so plan accordingly. Evasion may not be the way to go if you're starting.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Thanks for the tips, everyone. This is what I came up with based on what y'all said and looking at a few other things here and there. All of you and anything else I read (with one exception) said to focus on strengths and not on weaknesses, which means pretty much everything is killing poo poo or investigating/getting clues. Tried really hard to keep costs down since it seems like rogue is the only faction that has more consistent access to resources. Any/all critical feedback appreciated.

Roland Banks

Assets
1x Roland's .38 Special (Core Set)
1x .45 Automatic (Core Set)
2x Beat Cop (Core Set)
2x Magnifying Glass (Core Set)
1x Knife (Core Set)
1x Blackjack (The Dunwich Legacy)

Events
2x Evidence! (Core Set)
2x Dodge (Core Set)
1x Working a Hunch (Core Set)
2x Emergency Cache (Core Set)
2x Seeking Answers (The Dunwich Legacy)
2x Emergency Aid (The Miskatonic Museum)
2x Prepared for the Worst (Blood on the Altar)
2x "If it bleeds..." (Undimensioned and Unseen)

Skills
2x Vicious Blow (Core Set)
2x Overpower (Core Set)
2x Unexpected Courage (Core Set)
2x Inquiring Mind (Undimensioned and Unseen)

Treacheries
1x Random Basic Weakness (Core Set)
1x Cover Up (Core Set)

My friend only has the core set and the Dunwich Legacy cycle, so none of the more recent cards.

Fat Samurai posted:

The core (and the first) campaign are very combat heavy, so plan accordingly. Evasion may not be the way to go if you're starting.

We've played two campaigns already; they seemed short. Not sure which one we will be playing this time. Nevertheless didn't do much with evasion here; and besides, already a weakness of Roland, so followed the "go with your strengths" mantra.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

TipTow posted:

Roland Banks

Assets
2x Beat Cop (Core Set)
1x Knife (Core Set)
1x Blackjack (The Dunwich Legacy)

Events
2x Evidence! (Core Set)
2x Dodge (Core Set)
2x Seeking Answers (The Dunwich Legacy)

Skills
2x Overpower (Core Set)

Treacheries
1x Cover Up (Core Set)

That deck looks really good! I would recommend the following changes:

-1 Blackjack
-1 Knife
+2 Machete

Blackjack isn't amazing, and is mostly in the game to remind you of the rule about missing attacks on enemies engaged with other investigators. Machete, on the other hand, is a real workhorse when you're playing at lower player counts (which means fewer simultaneous enemies). You'll often be engaged with only one enemy anyway, and it will go a long way towards saving you precious bullets.

-2 Beat Cop
+2 Dr. William T. Maleson

Beat Cop is good, don't get me wrong, but Maleson has a really great interaction with Roland. He lets you ditch treacheries that test your crappy willpower/agility in favor of, ideally, grabbing enemies from the encounter deck. The cost of dropping a clue is almost laughable when Roland is going to pick it right back up after whacking the enemy you drew. This also synergizes well with Inquiring Mind's clue requirement.

-2 Seeking Answers
+2 Shortcut

Shortcut is a little more versatile than Seeking Answers. It's great in a pinch when you need to move, engage, and attack twice in the same turn to rescue your buddy. Without it, you could only move, engage, and attack once. It also lets you move yourself and enemies engaged with you without provoking attacks of opportunity. Consider that, instead of spending 1 for Seeking Answers and investigating a connecting location, you might use Shortcut to move with an enemy engaged with you onto that connecting location with a clue to then whack the enemy and collect the clue, all for a 0 cost fast action.

-2 Emergency Aid
+2 Deduction

Healing is meh (unless it coincides with something you're already doing, like with "If it bleeds..."), your time is better spent doing other actions. Deduction will help strengthen your investigate actions even further.

None of those changes are strictly necessary, it just brings the deck closer to what I've played as Roland in the past, which has worked decently well. If you have any roleplaying/fun/just because reasons for including anything in your deck, though, go for that instead! One of the reasons I love this game so much is that you don't have to build finely-tuned decks, and instead can build thematic or "believable" decks.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
If you want a REALLY comprehensive look at Roland for both solo and co-op, check out DadouXIII's extremely detailed efforts to play a finely-tuned Roland deck over on ArkhamDB.

Here's the most recent version, up to Black Stars Rise, the second-to-last Carcosa cycle pack. He includes suggestions for card substitutions based on what packs you're "missing" compared to him.

Alternatively, here is a previous version of his guide, which was written after Lost in Time and Space, the last pack in the Dunwich Cycle, was released. This is a nice snapshot based on just owning the Core Sets and the full Dunwich Cycle.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

drat dude, thanks for the very specific feedback!

I went with most of your suggestions. I took out the blackjack in favor of a machete; kept the one knife since it has the (admittedly one use) big attack and is cheaper.

Swapped out both beat cops for the Docs. Your hypothetical of turning a lovely encounter card into a monster to beat up was very convincing. Also much cheaper.

Swapped out the seeking answers for shortcuts. I'm a little skeptical here; I remember a few times in the two campaigns my friend and I played where we had to bail from a location with one clue on it. However, neither of us were super-primed for either fighting or evasion (we both tried to "balance," which I guess really isn't a thing to do in this game), so I'm gonna try out the shortcuts instead. If there's a clue left on a location, shortcut in, kill the bad guy(s(?)) and take the clue.

Left in both emergency aids. I'm already at 8 skill cards and really like them, and I do have some clue-getting mojo already. Plus I can still swap out for the level 2 ones later if I feel like the investigating does in fact need another boost.

Here's the revised list:

Roland Banks

Assets
1x Machete (Core Set)
1x Knife (Core Set)
2x Dr. William T. Maleson:Working on Something Big (Lost in Time and Space)

Events
2x Evidence! (Core Set)
2x Dodge (Core Set)
2x Shortcut (The Dunwich Legacy)

Skills
2x Overpower (Core Set)

Treacheries
1x Cover Up (Core Set)

And thanks for the links. I kinda sorta want to discover *some* of this stuff myself (that's part of the fun of gaming, right?), but I will definitely give a listen as soon as this deck starts to see some play, which should be this week.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My girlfriend stumbled upon this game while I was at a game store trying to hunt down Netrunner packs lately-- the theme super appeals to her, and I like that it is co-op.

How are the initial campaigns at just 2 player? Do you miss out not playing with more?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

jeeves posted:

My girlfriend stumbled upon this game while I was at a game store trying to hunt down Netrunner packs lately-- the theme super appeals to her, and I like that it is co-op.

How are the initial campaigns at just 2 player? Do you miss out not playing with more?

The game is best at 2 for sure. Dive in and have a blast.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bottom Liner posted:

The game is best at 2 for sure. Dive in and have a blast.

ehhh...I've played 3 and 4 and 4 was so much better than 3 that I can't imagine 2 being better

that being said the game is very well balanced for lowering or raising your playercount as needed so it's not like playing with just 2 is going to be not fun.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

IcePhoenix posted:

ehhh...I've played 3 and 4 and 4 was so much better than 3 that I can't imagine 2 being better

that being said the game is very well balanced for lowering or raising your playercount as needed so it's not like playing with just 2 is going to be not fun.

I think the devs are on record as saying the game balance is designed around 2 as far as mythos deck, etc. 4 is fun but it can also be a trainwreck in a hurry.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
RttNotZ player cards:

The new Hot Streak is particularly interesting, it's actually worse than default Hot Streak but costs less XP, which opens it up for anyone who's limited in level on what Rogue cards they can take. At a quick skim I think that opens it up for Wendy, Finn, Lola, and Leo as an option.

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 25, 2018

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I really dig barricade doing what has been promised. I gladly await the era of Hacker Minh that simply parks on some nice spot and plays the entire scenario remotely.

Also, I really want to see mind wipe actually played, blanking is cool.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Soothing Vapors posted:

RttNotZ player cards:

The new Hot Streak is particularly interesting, it's actually worse than default Hot Streak but costs less XP, which opens it up for anyone who's limited in level on what Rogue cards they can take. At a quick skim I think that opens it up for Wendy, Finn, Lola, and Leo as an option.

I like the idea of adding lower level versions of cards, since they've added higher level versions already more than a few times. The resource sponge card upgrades are pretty neat as well.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Lichtenstein posted:

I really dig barricade doing what has been promised. I gladly await the era of Hacker Minh that simply parks on some nice spot and plays the entire scenario remotely.

Also, I really want to see mind wipe actually played, blanking is cool.

Mind Wipe is hilarious in Undimensioned and Unseen.

Not really worth the xp, but hilarious.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Mind Wipe has become worth a second look due to Vengeance though.

Hot Streak (2) is a really interesting card. It can be worse than Emergency Cache but then when it's not it's just such a great stepping stone to Hot Streak (4).

Is Rabbit's Foot good in like, Calvin maybe?

I feel like the stat boosters might've been enticing for 1XP. But for 2? Eh.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Orange Devil posted:

Mind Wipe has become worth a second look due to Vengeance though.

Hot Streak (2) is a really interesting card. It can be worse than Emergency Cache but then when it's not it's just such a great stepping stone to Hot Streak (4).

Is Rabbit's Foot good in like, Calvin maybe?

I feel like the stat boosters might've been enticing for 1XP. But for 2? Eh.

I think costing 0 resources instead of 2 makes sense to make it a level 2

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I can see how they have 2xp worth of improvements compared to the 0xp versions.

The problem is that the default cards were terrible.

At 1 xp they'd overlap the fast skill booster's design space too much.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

KPC_Mammon posted:

I can see how they have 2xp worth of improvements compared to the 0xp versions.

The problem is that the default cards were terrible.

At 1 xp they'd overlap the fast skill booster's design space too much.

They were decent for Rogues since they're rich typically. Problem is rogues already have 10 million things they need to spend xp on, so upgrades to the boosters are a llow priority.

Also Hot Streak I see really only being useful as an upgrade on the way to the upgrade. As is it's not really much better than emergency cache xp2 or xp3, since you have to have 5 resources to start with. Still powerful, but seems a low priority for the people who the new card enables.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I've been enjoying playing Watch This! for resources. It has one of each skill minus INT. So I usually use it on a evade check with rogues. With Finn you can evade as a bonus action so it combos well.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

alansmithee posted:

Also Hot Streak I see really only being useful as an upgrade on the way to the upgrade. As is it's not really much better than emergency cache xp2 or xp3, since you have to have 5 resources to start with. Still powerful, but seems a low priority for the people who the new card enables.

Well yeah that and maybe some of the people who have access to max lvl 2 Rogue cards.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

alansmithee posted:

I disagree. People keep comparing it to EC upgrades, but that's not what it's for - it's there to run alongside EC! Take Leo with some expensive allies, for example. You want Beat Cop, Venturer, Treasure Hunter and Hired Muscle. You run 2xEC, 2xHS(2), 2xLone Wolf. Now your economy should be set.

Maybe Leo isn't the best example, I've yet to run him, but the point still stands - if you need more econ cards, HS(2) is solid, if you don't need more cards but just slightly better cost curve, then upgrade EC.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Zerf posted:

I disagree. People keep comparing it to EC upgrades, but that's not what it's for - it's there to run alongside EC! Take Leo with some expensive allies, for example. You want Beat Cop, Venturer, Treasure Hunter and Hired Muscle. You run 2xEC, 2xHS(2), 2xLone Wolf. Now your economy should be set.

Maybe Leo isn't the best example, I've yet to run him, but the point still stands - if you need more econ cards, HS(2) is solid, if you don't need more cards but just slightly better cost curve, then upgrade EC.

The problem is the times you have 5 money and need more are gonna be rare. Basically it's a great card to have initially, but decreases rapidly in value. If it were 3->8 instead of 5->10 I'd be all over it.

Also as an aside treasure hunter's really underperformed in my Leo deck. I've also not added hired muscle for much the same reason. There's more than enough other allies that I want to put into play that you actually run into issues with slots I'm finding. They're also really underwhelming with stuff like calling in favors. I'm actually finding Leo to be kinda tricky to build because he's got a lot to balance. I'm actually moving toward all guns with him, but your xp is stretched really thin.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The new 2xp Talents have some value in a few decks just for their commit icons even if you can't afford to take advantage of pump.

I'm playing a Finn deck right now and I'm having trouble getting enough fist icons to take advantage of the weapons in the deck. I'm also close to fully upgraded otherwise so the Hard Knocks make alot of sense.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I think skill icons is an aspect of card valuation that has been under the radar for a while. Mostly because cards released in core and most of Dunwich had either:
1. Good effect + good icons
2. Meh effect + meh icons

Lately though, they've been printing a bunch of cards with double icons (or icon + wild) that have effects that are not spectacular but are not outright bad. I think the proper evaluation of these cards requires comparing them to the neutral skill cards. The question then isn't "is the ability on this card good?", but more concretely "is the ability on this card better than 1 conditional and potential card draw?".

And I'm finding more and more often that the answer to that question is yes, even (sometimes especially) for situational cards. I think this has 2 reasons:
1. More options are released to get the required card draw or tutoring or redundancy to the point where the incidental card draw afforded by the neutral skills is no longer as necessary.
2. There's real value in having extra options your deck doesn't otherwise have access to on a card which primarily functions as a skill card.

So Logical Reasoning for example is functionally a Guts most of the time. But every now and then it'll save your life. Is that better than a card draw? Well, in a faction already loaded with draw and tutoring, yes. Oops! on the other hand is functionally an Overpower, but the effect is even more marginal and Survivors are still really clamoring for cards, so Oops! is still valued poorly.

So long story short, whenever you have decided to put a neutral skill card in your deck, make sure you check if there aren't any cards with the same icons available to you whose effect is better than the draw.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 27, 2018

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

A good way to really value skills and icons is to play Dark Horse/Fire Axe Silas :v:

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I understand intellectually that I shouldn't hear Katy Perry in my head every drat time I read the card name Dark Horse, but that is the world I'm living in and there seems to be no exit.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Just wait until you play a Mystic with Time Warp in your deck.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
My store's Labyrinths of Lunacy event is this Sunday. I'll be building two decks and lending out some cards, so I wanted to build a deck that was, a) a challenge, and b) didn't use a lot of the oft-used cards in case my friends (or the other, easier deck I'll be making) needed them. So, I settled on Skids for some reason :psyduck: :

Skids - Labyrinths of Lunacy 07/01/2018 posted:

"Skids" O'Toole (up to 19 xp, currently 16xp)

Assets
1x .45 Automatic
2x Switchblade
2x Lupara [3]
2x Lockpicks [1]
1x The Gold Pocket Watch [4]
2x Lucky Cigarette Case

Events
1x On the Lam
2x Backstab
2x Cheap Shot
2x Emergency Cache
2x Sleight of Hand
2x Daring Maneuver
2x "Let me handle this!"
2x "You handle this one!"
1x Taunt
1x "I'll see you in hell!"

Skills
2x Quick Thinking
2x "Watch this!"

Treacheries
1x Hospital Debts
2x Random Basic Weakness

We can build up to 29xp, but I want to keep it at 19xp or below, preferably. The only things I'm dead-set on are Lupara, Gold Pocketwatch, "Let me handle this!"/"You handle this one!", and Sleight of Hand. Taunt and "I'll see you in hell..." are emergency, last-ditch options specifically for the scenario because there are so many things that outright kill you, I may as well go out in a blaze of glory.

Any suggestions? Skids is really hard.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 28, 2018

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I have a stupid question - how do people print out things like these - https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/143040/arkhamesque-vertical-dividers ? Do you just print out the PDFs and paste them onto vertical dividers like these https://smile.amazon.com/BCW-Trading-Card-Dividers-Quantity/dp/B001PHZGJC?sa-no-redirect=1 ?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I just printed it on regular printer paper (always steal your work's paper and ink if you can,) cut it out by hand and put the cutouts in top loaders. It works really well unless you're me and you lose several of them and are too lazy to do it again.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I have a stupid question - how do people print out things like these - https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/143040/arkhamesque-vertical-dividers ? Do you just print out the PDFs and paste them onto vertical dividers like these https://smile.amazon.com/BCW-Trading-Card-Dividers-Quantity/dp/B001PHZGJC?sa-no-redirect=1 ?

I use those plastic dividers for larger, important blocks of cards, like scenarios or groupings of encounter sets (usually per cycle: Dunwich, Carcosa, Forgotten Age). I just print the fancy dividers on thicker cardstock and they hold up well enough on their own without attaching them to plastic.

Sometimes I use both printed cardstock and plastic because I'm indecisive, and I usually just put them next to each other and don't worry about it much.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Ah, so the dividers posted on BGG are taller than cards. I don't know why I didn't assume that they would be. :downs:

Both suggestions sound like they'll work fine. I have that artists' case from Hobby Lobby with the Broken Token insert and I really really need the dividers. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
RttNotZ just came in the mail from Team Covenant today

like, I knew what I was getting I willingly agreed to be ripped off by FFG, but there's something very stark about opening that big box and seeing the contents