Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

dwarf74 posted:

Help I am listening to House of Chains on audiobook and this motherfucker pronounces every name wrong and is overusing this one dumb accent and he's using a dumb growly voice for Dancer

Welcome to the last half of books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mr Hootington posted:

Welcome to the last half of books.
I could swear I had some less-terrible versions a while back. I guess I'll need to see if I can find them.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I mean the guy is pronouncing Tiste as "tisst" and of the possible pronunciations that has to be the wrongest.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Yeah, I had to stop listening at some point in DoD because that second half narrator was so loving bad.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I know there have been several releases so... :filez: time I guess.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

dwarf74 posted:

I mean the guy is pronouncing Tiste as "tisst" and of the possible pronunciations that has to be the wrongest.

Wait, that’s not how it’s supposed to be pronounced? To me, Tis-teh or even Tis-tee, the only other ways I could imagine, sound dumb especially when followed by Andii (An-dee). And Tys-te, that’s like trying to force a non-English word to English conventions and seems horrible.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

I always pronounced Tiste, Tisst in my head.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
More notes as I'm reading.

Does Heboric ever become not so tedious? It feels like a novel's worth of political machination and doomed introspection was packed into his first PoV segment in House of Chains. I've followed none of it. The Whirlwind reminds me of the cult that Paul's sister starts in the second Dune book, and also the islam-inspired Holy War from the Prince of Nothing series.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Toughy posted:

Tees stay

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Toughy posted:

You're a monster.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I mentally pronounce it Tih-stay. Is that wrong?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

quote:

15. The Gunslinger: My question is in regard to the pronunciation of some of the races in your world. I love talking about the books with friends, but I’ve found that nobody pronounces things the same. If you could give phonetic spelling of each (or just words that rhyme), I would be very grateful.

K’Chain Che’Malle (K or kuh, Sheh or Cheh, Mall or Male, as in tamale)

Steven: K, Cheh, and Malle as in Hal.

Tiste (is the “e” silent, have an “eh” sound, or an “e” sound?)

A: silent ‘e’

Edur (is the “e” stressed?)

Steven: yes, and as Eh not Ee

Jaghut (is the “h” pronounced? If so, is hut Hutt as in Jabba, or hoot?)

A: silent ‘h’ and Ja-goot but accent on the Ja: the word should fall off on completion

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

latinotwink1997 posted:

Wait, that’s not how it’s supposed to be pronounced? To me, Tis-teh or even Tis-tee, the only other ways I could imagine, sound dumb especially when followed by Andii (An-dee). And Tys-te, that’s like trying to force a non-English word to English conventions and seems horrible.

Exactly. Tisst all the way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Steven: K, Cheh, and Malle as in Hal.
Cage-em-all? Pokemon much?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wait, so silent "e" means the "I" is long so it's "tighst"? Oh man.

I don't know who the gently caress this "Steven Erikson" thinks he is but...

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Wait, so silent "e" means the "I" is long so it's "tighst"? Oh man.

I don't know who the gently caress this "Steven Erikson" thinks he is but...

Tragically so: https://streamable.com/mgpvm

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

I've always pronounced it Teest in my head and you can't stop me, Steven Erikson

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
tasty

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Featuring your pal and mine, Tasty Andy

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Tist. Rhyming with List.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

cptn_dr posted:

Featuring your pal and mine, Tasty Andy

and his plucky little brother, Tasty EdURRRRRR

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I was initially upset about the second narrator but when I put it on 1.25x speed it was much better. He talks too slow.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Toughy posted:

Me to.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
When the new narrator took over for Deadhouse Gates I think it took me halfway through the book to realize Tavore was Parma’s sister from the first book with how different the pronunciation was.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

When the new narrator took over for Deadhouse Gates I think it took me halfway through the book to realize Tavore was Parma’s sister from the first book with how different the pronunciation was.

Wait until you find out it's actually pronounced Felisin

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

pile of brown posted:

The real pronunciation of Whiskeyjack blew my mind!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'm reading through Malazan with a friend, I'm reading while he primarily listens to audiobooks. Half our conversations are spent settling on pronunciations so we can have the rest of the conversation.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

pile of brown posted:

It’s not pronounced Felisin?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I didn't mind how the narrator said most names in House of Chains/Midnight Tides :shrug:

Although I do remember him saying So-leh-tah-ken in one book and "Soul-Taken" in another which was an interesting switch up. I think I prefer the latter.

Edit: Also I know Steven Erikson pronounces it muh-LAH-zan which is pretty loving weird to me. It's always Mah-luh-zan in my head.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It’s not pronounced Felisin?

tavore is briefly mentioned in deadhouse gates. felisin is the pov character.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Suxpool posted:

tavore is briefly mentioned in deadhouse gates. felisin is the pov character.

Oh I thought he was just making a “Actually its pronounced ‘swords’” joke.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
I always get a little frusterated with the timelines of the Empire. I understand that magics make you live longer and everything, but the Malazan empire is what... like 100 years old? Laseen is 10 years Empress.

When did the Bridgeburners show up? I always thought that Whiskeyjack and Dujek were there at the begining of the Empire, and the Bridgeburners had been around for a lot of the early conquering.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The BBs were the scraps of whatever armies conquered the 7 cities sent on a mission to kill mages, this was after Kel was already emperor but I don't know the specific year

I feel Wiskeyjack and Dujek were hollow mary sue characters for the grunts to progress to over the course of the series i.e. omg WJ was killed but he was also as good of a swordsman as traveler

I haven't read the supplemental books, recall, or gotten far enough for WJ/Dujek's actual origin, if it exists.

/e- I guess you get some of WJ's origin with his sister but I cannot recall details off the top of my head, or if I'm confusing with QB

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I figure you can look at it one of two ways, either Erickson accidentally contradicts himself because he forget he mentioned something offhandedly. I.e. Dudjek being mentioned to be part of the founding of the Empire but also born 20 years after it was founded.

Or, since the whole series is meant to be presented as a historical retelling of the events from several different authors, the in-universe writers are going off stories that have started to acquire legendary status and are already stretching truth.

There’s enough mentions of bards and historians distorting the truth to tell better stories in the military parts of the series to make the second idea plausible.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
It's honestly safer to consider the Malazan timeline as malleable at best. Between the unreliable narration and a good amount of Gardens being retconned, I don't think there is any way to reconcile it. Erickson has basically said that himself, and that most of it is intentional.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

CoolHandMat posted:

I always get a little frusterated with the timelines of the Empire. I understand that magics make you live longer and everything, but the Malazan empire is what... like 100 years old? Laseen is 10 years Empress.

When did the Bridgeburners show up? I always thought that Whiskeyjack and Dujek were there at the begining of the Empire, and the Bridgeburners had been around for a lot of the early conquering.

It’s been awhile since I read the series, so I may be making this up, but I’m pretty sure all of the original gang(Surly, Crusts, whiskeyjack, dujek, etc) all stayed in the deadhouse for a period of time, and live longer because of it.

At the beginning of gotm young Paran sees a young Fiddler on the roof (I’m sorry) and even notes that Fiddler isn’t much older than himself. The conquering of 7 cities probably didn’t happen more than a couple years before the events in the prologue of gotm, and the prologue happens I think 10 years before the series starts.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
In Deadhouse Landing you meet all of the original crew before the end. Kellanved, Dancer, Daseem, Surly, Tayschrenn, Tattersail, the Crusts, Opal, Dujek, and Whiskeyjack etc. are all there. Though Whiskeyjack is just called Jack at that point and someone mentions that they need to get him a better name.

Dujek and Whiskeyjack are the commanders of the company that becomes the Bridgeburners after chasing Quick Ben and some other mages across a desert in Seven Cities. The rest of the Bridgeburners are unremarkable before this.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

CoolHandMat posted:

Esslemont's Path of Ascendency series is covering the founding of the empire. You see some early suggestions of things that eventually become groups like the Bridgeburners (as well as the Claw and the Talon, etc).

Spoilers for the second and most recent book, Deadhouse Landing:
In this book Kellenved and Dancer are establishing themselves as pirates/crime bosses on Malaz Island, and getting several recognisable people on their crew. Dujek and Whiskeyjack (called Jack, who is basically Dujek's sidekick) are marines who befriend one of the Crust brothers. They don't immediately join up with Kellenved, but do support him in the climactic fight at the end, and I think they are pretty much on board by the end of the book.

There's a scene that specifically foreshadows the Bridgeburners.

I drive a BBW posted:

It’s been awhile since I read the series, so I may be making this up, but I’m pretty sure all of the original gang(Surly, Crusts, whiskeyjack, dujek, etc) all stayed in the deadhouse for a period of time, and live longer because of it.

I think it's also mentioned that they use High Denul magic to extend their lives, though I can't remember which book. And of course it could be both of these things, or neither, with unreliable narrators and all that.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
its less of a question of how old the Bridgeburners are more of a question of the age of the Empire. When did the Seven Cities conquest start, and how long did it take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I drive a BBW posted:

Nah, most of the original gang were already potential Ascendants, or became so before Gardens of the Moon happened. Also the Malaz empire is maybe 20 years old, tops.
Ascendanthood in the Malazan universe seems to grant super slow aging, and the chance to come back from death if you are worshiped or superlucky Trake in both cases.

The thing that made the Bridgeburners, as a group, potential Ascendants was their ultra-endurance march through the SuperDuperMagicDeath Desert of Rakuru while chasing down anti-Malazan terrorists as per the backstory of DeadHouse Gates. The thing that made the Bridgeburners, as group, full blown Ascendants was the low-key thing Fiddler did while he was travelling back to Malaz City in the DeadHouse Gates.