Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Did anyone else find it funny that David ever needed Lenny to intercept Syd's bullet being shot at him... when at the end of the episode he blocks a few dozen bullets from Section 3 soldiers trying to shoot at him and Lenny? Like, he's always had the power to just stop bullets... you'd think Syd would know that by now? I'm dumb.

Also, add this to the list of things I'm still bothered by: At the beginning of the season, Syd is able to use telepathy and they seem to strongly want you to know that she likes switching places with a cat. None of this ever means anything for the rest of the season.

... unless the show is trying to say that she is a cat and Farouk is a mouse?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
he'd been depowered by the tuning fork when syd was shooting at him

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Syd experimenting with her powers is in contrast to her doing everything possible to avoid them in the first season and basically treating her condition like a curse.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Sio posted:

he'd been depowered by the tuning fork when syd was shooting at him
gently caress me for forgetting this poo poo literally 1 week later. I admit, I am a terrible TV watcher! (And I need to binge this poo poo instead.)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DaveKap posted:

gently caress me for forgetting this poo poo literally 1 week later. I admit, I am a terrible TV watcher! (And I need to binge this poo poo instead.)

Ehh, I wasn't even really clear what the tuning fork was doing on first watch. It shows Lenny shooting it, bullet hits, then David breaks out of the ropes that were wrapping him up. I thought the bullet hitting the thing instantly weakened Farouk allowing David to escape the binds but then the wave hit them and they both got knocked down.

So David just broke free on his own and the tuning fork didnt really have anything to do with that part but it confused me a bit

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bring back old gbs posted:

Ehh, I wasn't even really clear what the tuning fork was doing on first watch. It shows Lenny shooting it, bullet hits, then David breaks out of the ropes that were wrapping him up. I thought the bullet hitting the thing instantly weakened Farouk allowing David to escape the binds but then the wave hit them and they both got knocked down.

So David just broke free on his own and the tuning fork didnt really have anything to do with that part but it confused me a bit

Yeah, it was a weird editing decision for sure. I thought the same thing until they explicitly made it clear when the sound wave hit them both.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If they had a tuning fork that can disable people like Farouk and David I'm not sure why Division 3 was so scared of them

Just hit the fork man

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Fork him real good.

Serf
May 5, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

He managed to break partly free, not all the way. Without the fork he'd probably just have ended up still struggling against Farouk.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The scene def. was confusing but I read it as David seeing his plan come together and that knowledge giving him a strength/confidence boost, which allowed him to break free. Then the soundwave actually hits and both of their powers are disabled.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

If they had a tuning fork that can disable people like Farouk and David I'm not sure why Division 3 was so scared of them

Just hit the fork man
Forget about the fork, if they are destined to invent Legion-entrapping pokeballs in the near future, why don't they just use those? Why is future Syd so afraid of David if they have the technology to trap him at any time?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
don't think too hard about this

The whole show is just an excuse to show wacky and weird scenes

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SimonChris posted:

Forget about the fork, if they are destined to invent Legion-entrapping pokeballs in the near future, why don't they just use those? Why is future Syd so afraid of David if they have the technology to trap him at any time?

They did use one, in fact they outright tell you that the cage they hold him in in the final episode is based on the same tech.

Then he busted out of it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

SimonChris posted:

Maybe he was weaker then and it could work on past David. But now that he's gone full Legion on them, there's no way it would work.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
They literally showed us and told us what the choke did in the penultimate episode when the moustache bots carried it into position.

The show: "This tuning fork thing is called the choke and it nullifies powers"

Next week, goons: "Why were they so unclear in what the tuning fork thing does?"

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
Good show, good season but I feel the 11th episode was necessary. I would have been all "...what!?" without it.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Next week, goons: "Why were they so unclear in what the tuning fork thing does?"

Followed by: "And why are they so afraid of David? Does he have superpowers or some poo poo?"

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Megillah Gorilla posted:

They literally showed us and told us what the choke did in the penultimate episode when the moustache bots carried it into position.

The show: "This tuning fork thing is called the choke and it nullifies powers"

we were discussing an editing decision during the scene not the function of the device. maybe direct some of your unique refined tv watching skills to the thread??

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Zzulu posted:

The whole show is just an excuse to show wacky and weird scenes
i think this is the most practical take re: the show

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

dogboy posted:

Good show, good season but I feel the 11th episode was necessary. I would have been all "...what!?" without it.

An 11th episode wasn't needed; what was needed was cutting huge swaths of "Farouk and Oliver drive in silence through the desert", or, "Two characters stare at each other for awhile".

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

stepping back for a second, this is really funny despite the premise:

Aubrey Plaza and Dan Stevens Hijack a Stranger's Tinder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACHZrvF6mTA

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Laterite posted:

An 11th episode wasn't needed; what was needed was cutting huge swaths of "Farouk and Oliver drive in silence through the desert", or, "Two characters stare at each other for awhile".

That, too.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Laterite posted:

I'm fairly certain they needed like 10-20 more minutes of something in the final 3-4 episodes and when they realized they needed filler, you got that bullshit.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 26, 2018

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Man I really liked that finale. That fight was amazing. And I like that David and Farouk are basically a pair of incredibly powerful assholes and it's a balance between who is more dangerous at any time.

Oliver and Melanie trying to remember things was great too. Science McGlassesface or whatever, "the girl who kicked everyone"

e:Glasses McLabcoat, that was it

Anyway, quite liked that season but it felt like it was just kicking its heels at times and there's definitely some filler feeling bits. The good bits were brilliant though

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I haven't seen season 1 but I still really enjoyed this season and I'm looking forward to season 3, I thought the finale was very good. Is Farouk calling himself the Shadow King or is the Shadow King calling himself Farouk?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

bessantj posted:

I haven't seen season 1 but I still really enjoyed this season and I'm looking forward to season 3, I thought the finale was very good. Is Farouk calling himself the Shadow King or is the Shadow King calling himself Farouk?

That's actually a pretty good question. If we're speculating based on comics lore, then it might be the latter. Based solely on what the show has told us, the former.

(But on the other hand he's also been established as someone who lives and breathes false identities, so...)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's actually a pretty good question. If we're speculating based on comics lore, then it might be the latter. Based solely on what the show has told us, the former.

(But on the other hand he's also been established as someone who lives and breathes false identities, so...)

I did wonder if it had been answered in season 1. I like his character.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I. Uh.

I think I rewatched the season finale intro like fourteen times. It might just be the greatest piece of television ever.

Season two was good. I'm glad I waited until I could binge the whole thing though or I would've been annoyed at the slow pace.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Affi posted:

I. Uh.

I think I rewatched the season finale intro like fourteen times. It might just be the greatest piece of television ever.

Season two was good. I'm glad I waited until I could binge the whole thing though or I would've been annoyed at the slow pace.

I've re-watched the beginning of the finale a few times as well, it's fantastic.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, I was planning to do that but I haven't yet. They should put out a blu ray of just that scene

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

McDragon posted:

Ha, I was planning to do that but I haven't yet. They should put out a blu ray of just that scene

it's on youtube, because everything is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP13Vd4fIoY

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
It’s probably not to everyone’s liking. But I’ve followed David and Farouk for two whole seasons and it’s just amazing that I had chills from the start to the finish when they had their first real confrontation. And the callback to the sword in the stone (?) is great since that is something I still go back and watch for its brilliance.

Ahh. I’m gushing. But I just don’t have anyone to watch these shows with so you’ll have to bear it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm torn. On the one hand the combat scene is a great one to show my friends how awesome legion can be, while at the same time it'd set unrealistic expectations.

What'd make a good tastemaker scene to show the uninitiated? One of the Hamm monologues maybe ("this will make you vomit")?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Just have them watch the first episode.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Yeah it comes out the gate really strong, you don't really need to cherry-pick.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Definitely this. Quite often a series premiere will have a "feeling it out" sense to it, where the writers, showrunner, and actors are in the process of figuring out just what the show is.

Legion has the most confident premiere I've ever seen. It feels like a show that been around for years, completely certain in what it's about and how it goes about its business.

Anyone watching the first episode will know 100% if they'll like the rest of the series.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Gosh there's a ton of great stills from the fight. And it all flows together in a way you can follow.

And it's not all dinosaurs and sharks and planes. David bringing out a Cthulhu and then Farouk busting out a Syd might not be the most flashy bit but it's definitely effective. Then actual Syd throws him off the second time

Thanks for that video, think I might have to screen grab a few things

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

regulargonzalez posted:

Anyone watching the first episode will know 100% if they'll like the rest of the series.

Not necessarily. I thought the first episode was genuinely awful and only ended up sticking with it long enough for Aubrey Plaza and Jermaine Clement to eventually win me over because all my friends told me it got better later on. That was actually the consensus among my TV-watching circle, that the show has a terrible pilot but finds its feet quickly afterwards.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

double nine posted:

I'm torn. On the one hand the combat scene is a great one to show my friends how awesome legion can be, while at the same time it'd set unrealistic expectations.

What'd make a good tastemaker scene to show the uninitiated? One of the Hamm monologues maybe ("this will make you vomit")?

uhhh maybe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AfE3TDJwHs

It doesn't really spoil anything except Lenny is still around, which after the pilot they'd know anyway.

e: Or Bolero if you don't care showing some spoilers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V89QyxIPxD4

I'm sure people know tons of others

e: maybe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3fmppeSAYQ?

Barreft fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014

McDragon posted:

And it's not all dinosaurs and sharks and planes. David bringing out a Cthulhu and then Farouk busting out a Syd might not be the most flashy bit but it's definitely effective.

I thought it was cool that he got aggressive and brought out the creepy monster and finally started winning, then got sidetracked by the clever distraction a second later. "It's a muscle, the big grey meat. You gotta work it out, get it stronger." It's such a cool way to portray mind battles.