Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The tactics in this show have not been good for many episodes now. You definitely have to ignore all the standing around out in the open to enjoy this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Remember that in-show they're supposed to be not-necessarily-optimal video game tactics, not flawless real life ones.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

even in the suspension of disbelief world of strategy I felt that they did a pretty poor showing, but I guess they had reverse plot armour not to kill anyone so pito could have her john wick moment

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Conot posted:

even in the suspension of disbelief world of strategy I felt that they did a pretty poor showing, but I guess they had reverse plot armour not to kill anyone so pito could have her john wick moment

This has to be the case. Even though the masked dudes were obviously planning to die, for some reason they forgot they had guns and that you can throw grenades instead of holding them when before they were portrayed as very competent. They really just wanted to establish that Pito was still a monster despite her temporary lapse by having her go on a rampage again.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its a perfectly OK strategy when you take into consideration that they are in a game and that you wont die in real life if you get hit. They aren't saying distances for nothing. Hitting a moving target at that distance is a crapshoot, which is why they had to faint to actually hit one of them. Changing your direction of movement every 3 seconds sound like a simple thing that wouldn't work, but again, at that distance and the natural reflexes you'd need to realign a shot to hit them you'll have to re-aim again before you can take a good shot. And finally, all of it was a just a diversion in the first place.

The guy that wrote this is a gun nut. It feels like he's had experiences with shooting things because even down to a weapons effective range sounds fine.

e-Im talking about the field, what happened in the house is something else entirely.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Gotta remember those guys were also hired to be a hype squad for Pito, so they were just stalling rather than putting up real defence. Imagine how pissed she’d be if they’d killed em all.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
"Psycho Llenn" as the next episode title has me hyped.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its a perfectly OK strategy when you take into consideration that they are in a game and that you wont die in real life if you get hit. They aren't saying distances for nothing. Hitting a moving target at that distance is a crapshoot, which is why they had to faint to actually hit one of them. Changing your direction of movement every 3 seconds sound like a simple thing that wouldn't work, but again, at that distance and the natural reflexes you'd need to realign a shot to hit them you'll have to re-aim again before you can take a good shot. And finally, all of it was a just a diversion in the first place.

The guy that wrote this is a gun nut. It feels like he's had experiences with shooting things because even down to a weapons effective range sounds fine.

e-Im talking about the field, what happened in the house is something else entirely.

The field was actually perfectly sensible, yeah.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Obviously those dudes were just sick of the psychodrama and decided to peaceout in a way that technically fulfilled the terms of whatever agreement they had with M.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

The tactics in this show have not been good for many episodes now. You definitely have to ignore all the standing around out in the open to enjoy this.

Mate this is VR counterstrike, my suspension of disbelief is based on the number of trickshots attempted per episode.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

ijyt posted:

Mate this is VR counterstrike, my suspension of disbelief is based on the number of trickshots attempted per episode.

VR Pubg.

I'm still waiting for a guy wearing nothing but boxers to try and bum rush someone with an immortal pan.

Or they realize that there's only one dude left and that he's just been hiding in bushes all game with no gear at all.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I would assume the qualification phase would weed all those people out and leave only the more serious contenders.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

tsob posted:

I would assume the qualification phase would weed all those people out and leave only the more serious contenders.

Machine Gun Lovers and robots on bicycles.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ijyt posted:

Machine Gun Lovers and robots of bicycles.

Neither of them run around in comedy outfits (or lacking an outfit altogether) trying to exploit the rules for laughs and/or to aggravate the other players. The machine gun lovers genuinely act that way because they believe it's a superior methodology and that their weapons are best, not because they're trying to annoy people or cause comedy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ijyt posted:

Machine Gun Lovers and robots on bicycles.

The robots on bicycles seemed pretty competent.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

tsob posted:

Neither of them run around in comedy outfits (or lacking an outfit altogether) trying to exploit the rules for laughs and/or to aggravate the other players. The machine gun lovers genuinely act that way because they believe it's a superior methodology and that their weapons are best, not because they're trying to annoy people or cause comedy.

Just because they're deluded doesn't mean they're not basically those people though.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Crain posted:

I'm still waiting for a guy wearing nothing but boxers to try and bum rush someone with an immortal pan.

Those teams that all ganged up on Pito should have gathered up all their immortal object scanners and taped them all onto a single dude as makeshift invincible armor, imo

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Bohemian Nights posted:

Those teams that all ganged up on Pito should have gathered up all their immortal object scanners and taped them all onto a single dude as makeshift invincible armor, imo

Scanners weren't immortal objects in SJ2 sadly.

Now strapping dead bodies on a dude...

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Crain posted:

Scanners weren't immortal objects in SJ2 sadly.

Now strapping dead bodies on a dude...

Lasts only 10 minutes and you'd need a strength build to move.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ChronoReverse posted:

Lasts only 10 minutes and you'd need a strength build to move.

Going by the fact Pitohui displays extraordinary strength, agility and the ability to use every gun in the game over the last few episodes I don't think such builds are all that hard or that they negatively effect your own personal traits much, if at all. Being tiny seems to be necessary to grant super-speed like Llenn has, but other than that body type doesn't seem to have much bearing on what you can and can't do.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tsob posted:

Going by the fact Pitohui displays extraordinary strength, agility and the ability to use every gun in the game over the last few episodes I don't think such builds are all that hard or that they negatively effect your own personal traits much, if at all. Being tiny seems to be necessary to grant super-speed like Llenn has, but other than that body type doesn't seem to have much bearing on what you can and can't do.

My reading of the information presented is that you don't make or work towards a build, your build is largely decided for you at character creation. Fuka basically spawned in with super high strength, she didn't train or allocate for it. Similarly, Llenn's speed is treated as extremely unusual, rather than something that any high level player with a smallish or slenderish build has access to. Body type doesn't seem to have much bearing on anything, considering that Fuka is just as tiny as Llenn but the two have dramatically different stat layouts. Similarly, gun skill doesn't seem to be a function of the game giving you stats, but rather how well you the player can fire the gun. When Llenn is in the tutorial mode at the start of the show she sucks terribly with sniper rifles but is instantly comfortable with SMGs, which informs her choices.

Pito hasn't actually really displayed any superhuman attributes like Llenn has. She's very strong and fast, but she's human-strong and human-fast; all of her close combat strikes were blows to vulnerable parts of the human body(bridge of the nose, primarily) that can kill or harm you seriously rather than super strength, and while she ran circles around a bunch of surprised and panicking guys she didn't show off anything like Llenn's weird near-teleportation movement speed. The thing that makes her ridiculously dangerous is that she's very, very skilled and is also actively seeking death so she has absolutely no fear or hesitation when it comes to rushing down a bunch of guys with guns and cracking their heads open.

vvv Well, drat. I didn't know this stuff was gone into in the other SAO show. :shobon: vvv

Kanos fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 21, 2018

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

tsob posted:

Pitohui has a strength build, it's the reason why she can apparently use all weapons whereas LLENN can only use light stuff like knives, pistols and submachine guns. However, she hasn't demonstrated superhuman speed like LLENN so far. She's just ridiculously skilled, lucky and has that crazy Charge! factor that occasionally yields amazing results.

Also, we know you can choose where you go with your stats. That's part of the whole angst in the SAO:GGO story. Speed builds were meta until guns like Sinon's Hecate arrived which required a certain level of strength (not necessarily superhuman strength) to use and the speed types that put everything into agility were screwed.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 21, 2018

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
If she's like Kirito, she's probably Str/Agi to make better use of lightsaber photon sword. Then again she did survive getting shot in the face with what was probably some sort of 7.62 mm sniper rifle.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 21, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Also Fuka spawned in with a strength build since she seems to be a 2-hander/lance wielder in Alfheim which requires lots of strength. It's established that your build carries over between VRMMO games.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Makes sense given that she beat a guy to death. I guess that's also another point on Pito having a decent amount of Str since she one hit killed a guy by smashing his head into a rock.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

You have to remember that Reki Kawahara came up with most of the GGO "system" and that he's never been horribly consistent, and the author of GGO:Alt is probably trying not/not allowed to retcon it too hard, so it's never going to make 100% sense.

We've never gotten much detail on GGO's leveling process but builds are 100% a choice for everyone except convert characters, who basically get their characters translated over.

My impression of LLENN's super speed has always been that she basically minmaxed agility and that combined with her smaller character model is what makes her go from "fast" to "supersonic", but other players wouldn't easily be able to copy her build since they'd be unable to use sniper rifles/assault rifles/machineguns/etc, so her build is somewhat enabled by the existence of the P90, which presumably falls just within her weight capacity

One presumes back when she was using dual skorpions that she needed to land a lot of hits to get a kill and that only her pink devil ambush tactics allowed her to get away with this.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Or worse, imagine her having to use a Klobb.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Or worse, imagine her having to use a Klobb.

The Klobb is the Skorpion. Or was that the joke? :thejoke:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is pretty funny how the sao arc was essentially about some guy getting really mad about the meta ditching agi builds

and now the reigning pvp champion is using an agi build anyway

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Conot posted:

You have to remember that Reki Kawahara came up with most of the GGO "system" and that he's never been horribly consistent, and the author of GGO:Alt is probably trying not/not allowed to retcon it too hard, so it's never going to make 100% sense.

We've never gotten much detail on GGO's leveling process but builds are 100% a choice for everyone except convert characters, who basically get their characters translated over.

I honestly just kind of assumed leveling and builds played no real part in GGO and that it was more of an action RPG, with no real improvements in skill beyond what you improved yourself physically or mentally. Maybe some better gear, but that's about it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Conot posted:

My impression of LLENN's super speed has always been that she basically minmaxed agility and that combined with her smaller character model is what makes her go from "fast" to "supersonic", but other players wouldn't easily be able to copy her build since they'd be unable to use sniper rifles/assault rifles/machineguns/etc, so her build is somewhat enabled by the existence of the P90, which presumably falls just within her weight capacity

One presumes back when she was using dual skorpions that she needed to land a lot of hits to get a kill and that only her pink devil ambush tactics allowed her to get away with this.

Hell, even with the P90 she needs to land a shitload of hits to kill people. During the smoke ambush in the most recent ep she churned through hundreds of rounds killing 16 people, and that was from complete ambush with all of them not having the ability to react.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kanos posted:

Hell, even with the P90 she needs to land a shitload of hits to kill people. During the smoke ambush in the most recent ep she churned through hundreds of rounds killing 16 people, and that was from complete ambush with all of them not having the ability to react.

On in SJ1, she dumps a mag onto the last MMTM guy before he dies. Based on the LN translation, it took 30 rounds to kill him even after getting blasted out of the water by a deca-nade.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
In the anime she took three magazines in what looked like major overkill.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ChronoReverse posted:

In the anime she took three magazines in what looked like major overkill.

I'm attributing that mostly to replaying the same action.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it is pretty funny how the sao arc was essentially about some guy getting really mad about the meta ditching agi builds

and now the reigning pvp champion is using an agi build anyway

Turns out he only needed to wait a bit more for the meta to shift. If only he hadn't jumped the gun and went insane, we could've avoided an entire bad SAO arc.

Then again, if we had avoided it, we wouldn't have this, so I guess it was a good thing in the end.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Kanos posted:

The P90 was one of my favorite weapons back in my CounterStrike: Source days and this is pretty accurate from my experience with it. When you have a gun capable of shooting someone 10-20 times before they can shoot you once, that's how you win. By doing that (and maybe a few extra shots for insurance.)

Even if it's fairly accurate it's still a bullet hose.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The_White_Crane posted:

The Klobb is the Skorpion. Or was that the joke? :thejoke:

It's based on the Skorpion, but I presume the real gun wasn't quite so uniquely awful.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hate how the Amazons had to go out like the faceless guys last episode, but other than that this episode is awesome.

Fuka is the best.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah that was weird and disappointing. Luckily Fuka makes up for it in spades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That was fun, but now I wish Fuka had been in from the start.

• Locked thread