Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

No quite it's missing Koichi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

If spoink stops bouncing, he dies.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Arkanian posted:

That seems like it would require more programming expertise than the dev team seems to have. This version probably only needs you to change a flag in the code so that all Pokemon are traded but don't get bonus exp.

Unfortunately, the disobedience check has been completely rewritten from the basic one in Essentials, to the point that I couldn't even disable it to run my experiments with grinding against Julia. They definitely have someone capable of copy/pasting shadow pokemon code and linking it to the badge system.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

RyuHimora posted:

Unfortunately, the disobedience check has been completely rewritten from the basic one in Essentials, to the point that I couldn't even disable it to run my experiments with grinding against Julia. They definitely have someone capable of copy/pasting shadow pokemon code and linking it to the badge system.

and you know, the shadow pokemon thing just recontextualizes it so much better. Rather than "All the Pokemon in Reborn are assholes who'll abandon you because you're weak." It frames the Pokemon themselves as being stifled by their region and needing a strong trainer to help them grow to the next step. It, ya know, plays into the themes of friendship and bonds with your Pokemon, an overarching theme of the series. When you grow, the Pokemon grow with you.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It would also make Pulse a genuinely terrifying concept since holy poo poo a Shadow Pokemon Mega Evolution.

Saladin Rising posted:

Confirmed: Amethyst does not know that there are forms of grinding other than level grinding, and that this game is full of them.

I mean it's STILL terrible design because it's trying to cure dandruff by way of decapitation. You don't cure level grinding by punishing grinding, you cure it by giving players additional tools. This game seems to hand them out piecemeal but still expects players to succeed. If a player grinds to beat your challenge, let them do it, why punish it?
It's like you said, look at stage effects. That's totally something you should give players TMs and Move Tutors for, especially since poo poo like Mist is otherwise useless.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 21, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

It would also make Pulse a genuinely terrifying concept since holy poo poo a Shadow Pokemon Mega Evolution.

You don't even need to frame it as Shadow Pokemon, we're just using a system where the EXP gate is getting the next badge. But it does recontextualize Pulse Pokemon as "Pokemon are weaker in Reborn, and they need a strong trainer to be strong. Pulse is a way of making any pokemon stronger, by extreme artificial means."

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Onmi posted:

You don't even need to frame it as Shadow Pokemon, we're just using a system where the EXP gate is getting the next badge. But it does recontextualize Pulse Pokemon as "Pokemon are weaker in Reborn, and they need a strong trainer to be strong. Pulse is a way of making any pokemon stronger, by extreme artificial means."

Ah I get what you mean now. Yeah, fair.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

SSNeoman posted:

I mean it's STILL terrible design because it's trying to cure dandruff by way of decapitation. You don't cure level grinding by punishing grinding, you cure it by giving players additional tools. This game seems to hand them out piecemeal but still expects players to succeed. If a player grinds to beat your challenge, let them do it, why punish it?
And the flip side is that grinding shouldn't be necessary, but it needs to be possible as an escape hatch for people who just can't figure out how to beat the boss.

Ultra Necrozma in USUM is a good example of this. You don't need to grind to beat it, but if you don't know the strategies for doing so(topsy-turvy-ing its aura boosts, FEAR shenanigans, healing item spam to stall it out of PP, etc), grinding is an option.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PoptartsNinja posted:

So.

Odd question: what is this bridge to? What is this bridge over? It seems like a big stone bridge connecting one part of the city to another part of the city by crossing over a third part of the city.

It's probably to bridge over the cracks.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Onmi posted:

Which could give us an interesting theme for Pulse bosses, making them all super-weak pokemon that have been pushed beyond all reasonable limits. Fear the Pulse Feebas!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The real mystery here

Someone threw the rock in between Corey jumping off the bridge and us seeing his body.

hmmmm

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

PoptartsNinja posted:

So.

Odd question: what is this bridge to? What is this bridge over? It seems like a big stone bridge connecting one part of the city to another part of the city by crossing over a third part of the city.

It provides a stepping off point for the plot

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's the bridge that joins the gap between dark edginess and lolrandom humor. The bridge over the river kawaii

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's the bridge that joins the gap between dark edginess and lolrandom humor. The bridge over the river kawaii

:golfclap:

That's... Wow.

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm both impressed and ashamed for you. Good show.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

PoptartsNinja posted:

So.

It's over the train tunnel. North of the city is that desert from the intro.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I kinda have to wonder; where does it go from here? This has to be peak awfulness. Everything terrible that is to come can only be a pale ghost of having a character commit suicide due to his real life inspiration doing the same, and having the Token Jerk walk up and mock him.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I kinda have to wonder; where does it go from here? This has to be peak awfulness. Everything terrible that is to come can only be a pale ghost of having a character commit suicide due to his real life inspiration doing the same, and having the Token Jerk walk up and mock him.

I mean there probably are completely bonkers gameplay decisions, so there's that to mock.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What are the protagonist's motives?

Are they a super serious sportsperson trying to win all of pokemon?

Are they an idealistic person trying to do something about the deprivation around them?

Are they looking for their stolen fishy?

It's like the narrative has all these hooks but instead of dragging us toward progress they drag us through a world of boring edgy characters. We become a witness to their uninteresting stories and not a participant in the character's own.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Azza Bamboo posted:

...I don't know how I feel about this.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

What are the protagonist's motives?

Are they a super serious sportsperson trying to win all of pokemon?

Are they an idealistic person trying to do something about the deprivation around them?

Are they looking for their stolen fishy?

It's like the narrative has all these hooks but instead of dragging us toward progress they drag us through a world of boring edgy characters. We become a witness to their uninteresting stories and not a participant in the character's own.

I think we're supposed to put our own motives onto the protagonist. In the interview, Amethyst talks about disliking the whole "Silent Protagonist" bit and not knowing how you're supposed to characterize one. So your backstory is "Whatever you want it to be." And your motivations the same.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Onmi posted:

So your backstory is "Whatever you want it to be." And your motivations the same.

So theoretically Raven's motivation could be as simple as

Or something close to that, at any rate. We're certainly not laughing now if we ever were.

Fern on the other hand is definitely still laughing. What a horrible jerk he is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh don't get so down buddy. We still haven't contended with Reborn's very odd strange uncomfortable ideas of religion!

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Oh don't get so down buddy. We still haven't contended with Reborn's very odd strange uncomfortable ideas of religion!

I can see it now!

"In this moment I am euphoric, not because of any phony Arceus' blessing..."

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Oh god, Terra. It's Julia but even worse.

I can't wait to see just how bad it ends up being :stare:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Pieuvre posted:

I can see it now!

"In this moment I am euphoric, not because of any phony Arceus' blessing..."

I’m thinking it’s going to be a Heaven’s Gate analogue, instead.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Nah, it'll be an SMT-style killing god plot. :v:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

FoolyCharged posted:

It provides a stepping jumping off point for the plot

Fixed, because I couldn't stand to see that joke go unsaid.

Yes I am going to hell, why do you ask?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Azza Bamboo posted:

The real mystery here

Someone threw the rock in between Corey jumping off the bridge and us seeing his body.

hmmmm

Oh no. No no no. Hey OFS, did Fern leave the bridge before the player does? Or was he still there when you leave?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm pretty sure the rock is just part of the city tileset and not thrown off the bridge and that they were just making a joke observation.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Or maybe a geodude was tired of living

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

I’m thinking it’s going to be a Heaven’s Gate analogue, instead.

I'm expecting sacrificing unwilling people to please the gods and man isn't this just so stupid and backwards? Religion sure is garbage, as a man is shot through the heart and put on a spit to be eaten by all the weird religious-y types.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Haifisch posted:

I doubt it, if only because Pokemon has already done that with Conquest. Though that game, for all its flaws, was actually good, unlike this one, so if it does reuse that particular plot it'll be much more blatant and terrible.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Haifisch posted:

Nah. God won't be the villain. That's the cultists pretending to follow him.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You guys...

God's a gym leader.

And not even the last one.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
I would be okay with the Demi-fiend coming through Reborn and cleaning house.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What does God need with a master ball?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sindai posted:

What does God need with a master ball?
What is a God to a nonbattler?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Arceus is dead. Arceus remains dead. And we have killed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

If you meet Arceus on the road, kill him.