Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

There were originally (at least) two encoder issues (pre 2017? I stopped paying attention 1.22ish as well).
They were both "clicky/skippy encoder" but I didn't compare too hard beyond that.
- HW and SW. SW could be resloved with a firmware update, I have some posts in this thread talking about how I had given up on mine and looking into doing some soldering but realizing the update resolves. This is with the old version of the encoder, not the new one.
- HW could not, this is I think where the grease speculation came in.

Plavski posted:

they changed encoder providers a while back and released new firmware to accommodate them. encoder troubles have diminished greatly since then

Googling this a bit it looks like this change happened in late 2017

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/8a9pge/new_waldorf_blofeld_firmware_available_to_fix/

quote:

If you do not have a newer unit that needs the later firmware, such as one made after October 2017, stick with version 1.22. The only thing 1.24 did was add support for a newer controller ic in the newer models of the blofeld and it broke how encoders were input.

So there's not even one good working firmware, it depends which hardware rev you got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

JamesKPolk posted:

There were originally (at least) two encoder issues (pre 2017? I stopped paying attention 1.22ish as well).
They were both "clicky/skippy encoder" but I didn't compare too hard beyond that.
- HW and SW. SW could be resloved with a firmware update, I have some posts in this thread talking about how I had given up on mine and looking into doing some soldering but realizing the update resolves. This is with the old version of the encoder, not the new one.
- HW could not, this is I think where the grease speculation came in.

Googling this a bit it looks like this change happened in late 2017

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/8a9pge/new_waldorf_blofeld_firmware_available_to_fix/

So there's not even one good working firmware, it depends which hardware rev you got.

the 1.24 firmware was shipped with the new hardware, it was not made publicly available through official channels. people on previous versions had no reason to upgrade so there was no difference for them

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Plavski posted:

the 1.24 firmware was shipped with the new hardware, it was not made publicly available through official channels. people on previous versions had no reason to upgrade so there was no difference for them

Right, but 1.25 was, which creates the confusion the post I quoted is responding to. I haven't tried it but does the 1.25 fix work on the old ones too? (cause that would be nasty)

Anyway, optimistically, 10 years after the original release (Paul Nagle reviews it in the June 2008 Sound on Sound!), one hardware rev, and two firmware fixes for what really feels to me like the same problem, they've... managed to make the knobs on their synth work the right way?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

According to some stuff on gearslutz the 1.24 firmware would create new encoder problems where there weren't any if you didn't have the new hardware and the 1.25 is supposed to fix that. So 1.25 should be installable on all Blofelds.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
did a free show in clt last nite, went o k

i took a tube amp instead of plugging into the p a so my set didnt get recorded though :negative:

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

hahaha wtf arturia

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
what in the world

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Sexy Randal posted:

hahaha wtf arturia

H2SO4 posted:

what in the world

France, guys

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
That's hosed up

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Startyde posted:

France, guys

And trying to get rid of old stock on the previous model that doesn't fit their new rack system and nobody wants anymore. Or testing the waters to resell their old models, either way.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I’m...interested

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

http://cdm.link/2018/06/behringer-threatens-legal-action-against-a-site-that-called-it-a-copycat/

bad look.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

The best part:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/06/13/behringer-wants-people-to-stop-calling-them-shameless-copycats/ posted:

Here, on behalf of Midifan, I hereby make a very solemn apology to the four principals who have been “seriously hurt":
  1. Apologize for the wording of "plagiarized dogs." The cute dog is a human friend and the dog does not copy it. This is not correct, I'm sorry.
  2. Express apologize for the wording of "Shameless People." Because Behringer is a company, not a person, this is not correct. I'm sorry.
  3. Apologize for the allegation that Behringer's products are plagiarized. The politically correct statement is "reference" or "tribute." These actions are all not plagiarism at all. I am sorry.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Sexy Randal posted:

hahaha wtf arturia

:pwn:

:pwn:

That's hosed up.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3SIS_NGsOU

Looks like Sadowick is on the mend, and Ableton are good people

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Hopefully soft synths aren't verboten here.

I just recently got ahold of Serum for Ableton, guess I'll be spending the next month reverse engineering the most interesting presets it has to figure out what it's doing. Some of them sound absolutely massive, but I also don't want to be one of those people who can't come up with anything decent from scratch.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

DreadCthulhu posted:

Hopefully soft synths aren't verboten here.

I just recently got ahold of Serum for Ableton, guess I'll be spending the next month reverse engineering the most interesting presets it has to figure out what it's doing. Some of them sound absolutely massive, but I also don't want to be one of those people who can't come up with anything decent from scratch.

They’re not. I wish we talked more about them.

:siren: Also, SynthThread: I haven’t forgotten my promise to you. My life has been a horse’s toilet of mental/physical health crises, relationship explosions, and grad school hell over the last several months but I will get that mixtape out to you. I swear it. :siren:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Probably no one in this thread still uses this ancient app but I found out I had the Korg iMS-20 analog synth app the other day (I don't remember buying it lol but it would have been many years ago on my old lovely iPad Mini) and maybe it could still be useful in someone's setup without too much hassle.

Officially Korg says it will only connect to devices using an 'Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit' whatever the gently caress kind of stupid sounding bullshit that is - gently caress that I ain't buyin' no single use cable. There are also paid MIDI routing apps on the app store but gently caress that as well. MIDI Wrench is free, lean, ad-free, and basically perfect, and facilitates BT or network MIDI connections super reliably thru some CoreMIDI magic: https://crudebyte.com/mobile/midi_wrench/

You can add the computer as a BT MIDI connection from that app, or set up a network MIDI connection from the computer in Audio MIDI Setup and pair the iPad that way. Either way, the connection will now show up as a real MIDI sink/source in whatever app and reliably persists. Since I already had an inexpensive LPD8 USB controller and a Max/MSP patch from ages ago that mapped its inputs for something else, I just mapped them according to Korg's guide, and added the function to record the MIDI signals out to the app, play MIDI files in general through the app, use the pads for the app's drum machine, and remap the knobs on the fly well enough to play around with. Obviously you could use real DAW software too. The whole point tho was to have it connect to any data source to make gross crunchy sounds without using some wack rear end cable. Basically this post is a PSA for Midi Wrench.

https://my.mixtape.moe/oyyicm.mp4

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

emoji posted:

Probably no one in this thread still uses this ancient app but I found out I had the Korg iMS-20 analog synth app the other day (I don't remember buying it lol but it would have been many years ago on my old lovely iPad Mini) and maybe it could still be useful in someone's setup without too much hassle.

Officially Korg says it will only connect to devices using an 'Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit' whatever the gently caress kind of stupid sounding bullshit that is - gently caress that I ain't buyin' no single use cable. There are also paid MIDI routing apps on the app store but gently caress that as well. MIDI Wrench is free, lean, ad-free, and basically perfect, and facilitates BT or network MIDI connections super reliably thru some CoreMIDI magic: https://crudebyte.com/mobile/midi_wrench/

You can add the computer as a BT MIDI connection from that app, or set up a network MIDI connection from the computer in Audio MIDI Setup and pair the iPad that way. Either way, the connection will now show up as a real MIDI sink/source in whatever app and reliably persists. Since I already had an inexpensive LPD8 USB controller and a Max/MSP patch from ages ago that mapped its inputs for something else, I just mapped them according to Korg's guide, and added the function to record the MIDI signals out to the app, play MIDI files in general through the app, use the pads for the app's drum machine, and remap the knobs on the fly well enough to play around with. Obviously you could use real DAW software too. The whole point tho was to have it connect to any data source to make gross crunchy sounds without using some wack rear end cable. Basically this post is a PSA for Midi Wrench.

I just use the camera connection kit to plug one of my synths with a USB port into my ipad :shrug:

Also lets me play Sunrizer and Animoog and poo poo with a real kb without having to involve a whole computer in the middle.

But you do you. :ocelot:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’ve accumulated like $200 in various iPad apps over the years that are great so dropping $30 on a dongle seemed like a necessity at a certain point. It helps that I pretty much only buy software during sales (Black Friday/Christmas/launches/etc) when everything’s 40-50% off.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

emoji posted:

Yo thank you for this. I've got an Akai LPD8 wireless that should be arriving any minute now and now I've got something to use it with on the go.

Edit:
It should be noted that Midi over BT does not work on Windows 10. IDK if it works on Android but I don't know if there are even any apps like Midi Wrench for android anyway. If I find anything good I'll post my findings.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 21, 2018

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

HotCanadianChick posted:

I just use the camera connection kit to plug one of my synths with a USB port into my ipad :shrug:

Also lets me play Sunrizer and Animoog and poo poo with a real kb without having to involve a whole computer in the middle.

But you do you. :ocelot:
yeah the camera connectin kit is jst a usb port for your iphone or whatever, kinda wish i aint lost mine but oh well 💩 happans :shrug:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hello synth thread long time no see, I'm selling some synths if anyone cares.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860846

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Should I buy a Korg Minilogue like right now lol. I've never had any actual hardware before and I went to the synth store a couple hours ago bc it was near an appt. and played with all the synths. And I'm thinking about going back there right now. They also have an Ultranova, and there's also a couple Microbrutes on Craigslist. I want a good keyboard with good action that I can use to put data in a computer that also stands alone sounding good and capable of making a complete idea

The Elektrons were my fav but lol

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

is "a complete idea" like, a melody line with dynamic and timbral changes or a full track with backing rhtthm and such? becuase the formers all you can do with a monosynth without overdubs

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Yea not expecting a complete finished track besides I like assembling stuff and sperging in Max. But yea substantial melodies and such

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Mini log us doesn't have aftertouch if you care about such things but it's a loving great synth for 500 bucks.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
if I were getting a first synth today i would get a grandmother since holy poo poo that thing sounds amazing

also you can use it as a modular controller when you finally come over to the dark side :getin:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Gringostar posted:

if I were getting a first synth today i would get a grandmother since holy poo poo that thing sounds amazing

also you can use it as a modular controller when you finally come over to the dark side :getin:

yeah if youre made of fiat money maybe

it seems like a great synth but id recommend it as a 2nd one cuz dropping a grand to figure out if u wanna synth is steep

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

iMS-20 works 100% with the USB Korg Legacy controller, patchbay and all, which is why they went from $dece to $lolfuck, fyi

im the RM1x

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
Get the minilogue. It's a great synth for the price.

Unrelated, have a lot of people had problems getting stuff from Roland? I ordered a TR-8S at my local store (probably a bad move there) like two months ago and it's still backordered. Are they still building the second batch at the factory or something?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
who

the gently caress

uses

aftertouch

ever

???

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
and I'll want loving examples thank you

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

who

the gently caress

uses

aftertouch

ever

???

Vangelis.

Full per-voice channel Aftertouch is part of the appeal of the CS-80.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Gorewar posted:

Get the minilogue. It's a great synth for the price.

Unrelated, have a lot of people had problems getting stuff from Roland? I ordered a TR-8S at my local store (probably a bad move there) like two months ago and it's still backordered. Are they still building the second batch at the factory or something?

Probably. When I made the super smart decision to order a TR-08 last fall it took like three months for them to get a second batch to American Musical.

Whatever, it’s kawaii as hell. For real tho, I still do 95% of my drum programming in Patterning on iOS. That app, Gadget, Borderlands, and Animoog/Model 15 are worth the price of the iPad.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I do :(
I'm not good enough of a keyboardist to care about polyAT but I need my AT for modulation either direct or opening LFOs.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

HotCanadianChick posted:

Vangelis.

got an SQ-80 and use poly aftertouch allllll the time and it owns

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

emoji posted:

Should I buy a Korg Minilogue like right now lol. I've never had any actual hardware before and I went to the synth store a couple hours ago bc it was near an appt. and played with all the synths. And I'm thinking about going back there right now. They also have an Ultranova, and there's also a couple Microbrutes on Craigslist. I want a good keyboard with good action that I can use to put data in a computer that also stands alone sounding good and capable of making a complete idea

The Elektrons were my fav but lol

If you can find one they're probably cheap now since Mark 1 is history: https://www.elektron.se/products/analog-keys/

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

stillvisions posted:

If you can find one they're probably cheap now since Mark 1 is history: https://www.elektron.se/products/analog-keys/

troof, used A4k are WACKY cheap right now, like half retail. I'm tempted to grab a second just because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

HotCanadianChick posted:

Vangelis.

channel aftertouch is midi and the opposite of polyphonic aftertouch (all notes on this midi channel get AT on/off):eng101:

the keyboard ribbon was pinched on my dx7 so i had to unscrew the top panel to get aftertouch to work but when i did, god drat it made that thing even more amazing

too bad i couldnt afford the half of weed and half a day of programming time to get a patch how i wanted, thank god for they wysiwyg of old school knobby poo poo