Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

TacticalNecromancy posted:

It might be easier to try a smaller country first? I started with Italy in my very first game and that's great - you've mostly just got the Med to worry about, A/H only has one port and the French are generally not too terrible.

And then just throw poo poo together to see what works, what doesn't and what's funny while trying to avoid having your precious BBs sunk by friendly torpedoes.

This thing hit 30kts in ~1905 and lasted until 1925. I'm still not sure how.

Is that 4" guns in the loving masts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Is Toland's work still mostly well regarded today? I read the Rising Sun a while ago when I was looking for a book on the Pacific campaign with more of a view of the Japanese side of things, and I recall being warned that while it was a good read, a whole bunch of claims in there don't hold up to modern scholarship.

I'm not competent to judge his scholarship, but he does have one hilariously dated section where he spends a few pages going "Well of course misunderstanding was going to happen, you see, Orientals think like this, and Westerners think like this, and never shall the twain meet, it is as if dealing with two different species."

I mean, par for course for the time, but goddamn.

ZombieLenin posted:

Germany was also hindered by war weariness of the troops and lack of discipline (troops so hungry they would stop to gorge themselves on captured allies foodstuffs).

I don't know if I'd call that "lack of discipline" so much as I would "symptom of total logistical breakdown." If your troops are going hungry enough that they'd break ranks during an attack to snatch at food, something has gone terribly wrong with your supply line. Like, say, a few years of blockade plus an offensive that vastly outstrips your ability to bring food to the front.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

How do you employ artillery in p&s? I notice that putting infantry next to it doesn't protect it from charges like in SJ. Do I put it behind the lines?

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Caconym posted:

Yes, yes it is. Giovanni wants to contribute and he can also improve his parallax for rangefinding when the mast is wobbling all over the place.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Stairmaster posted:

How do you employ artillery in p&s? I notice that putting infantry next to it doesn't protect it from charges like in SJ. Do I put it behind the lines?

Do the historically accurate thing and line them up on a hill in the way back and forget about them.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Stairmaster posted:

If you want to use them, just have them shoot as long as you can and then move your guys up to prevent them from being charged. It can sometimes put a couple units into disrupted which can be nice.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Caconym posted:

What I want to know is how people end up with these pretty ships. Every time I try to draw superstructure with the lovely end game tools it looks worse than terrible.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

My last campaign didn't go quite so well. In 1903 an accidental placement of gin, tea and committee chairs caused a space/time rift in the US Navy Office that summoned forth Eikcaj Rehsif himself, who demanded maximum conservatism and armour in designs owing to his maxim 'armour is armour'. This and a punitive naval treaty in 1920 lead to the US starting the Franco/Russo-American war of 1922 with the majority of its capital strength in the form of supermonitors.

Needless to say, this went very well. (Mostly because a 15kt treaty limit makes for some badass heavy cruisers.)

Next plan: Deutschland of the Rising Sun.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Alright you fucks, jesus, I'll buy Rule the Waves

Er, RTW2 isn't anywhere close, right?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've owned RTW for ages but rarely play it. Is there some kinda secret to getting cool ship graphics to show up in the Picture tab in the ship view, because all I see is Picture Not Available.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Someone implied there's a tool to draw them/lay them out?

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Drone posted:

I've owned RTW for ages but rarely play it. Is there some kinda secret to getting cool ship graphics to show up in the Picture tab in the ship view, because all I see is Picture Not Available.

You can find the tool here, then it's up to you.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Your naming convention owns.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It was added in a patch so if you haven't updated it the tool doesn't show up.

Otherwise I think it's right click on empty picture and there's some sort of "create" option. By default it gives you a hull with your turrets places and you have a bunch of stamp tools that let you place superstructure and masts and whatnot.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Squiggle posted:

Your naming convention owns.

I've got a few set up, mostly just for BBs and BCs.

US are Marine copypasta (BB) or the lyrics from Dethklok's Killstardo Abominate (BC).

GB are Culture ship names (BB) or fatalistic Culture ship names (BC) - HMS Flash in the Pan or HMS Ucalegon being favourites.

FR are omlette du fromage (BB) or omlette du fromage (BC)

IT are Latin insults/Assassins of Caesar (BB) or Lamborghinis (BC)

GER are very long german words/phrases (BB) or Commando Comics style german (BC)

RU are Soviet regiments such as 1735th Siberian Naval Battalion or 416th Zheleznogorsk Excursion (BB) or Soviet tank graffiti/names (BC)

JP are normal but with honourifics. Yamato and Mikasa are -sensei, the rest go down from there.

CSA are Fox News anchors (BB) or ranks that sound awesome until you realise what they are (BC)

Not sure about A/H yet - possibly variations of entropy or collapse.

e- and Spain clearly needs to be very long Spanish names.

e2- Alright, A/H BBs are now types of Viennese sausage. Not sure about the BC though.

TacticalNecromancy fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 20, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah you have to build the side view pics yourself.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It was added in a patch so if you haven't updated it the tool doesn't show up.

Otherwise I think it's right click on empty picture and there's some sort of "create" option. By default it gives you a hull with your turrets places and you have a bunch of stamp tools that let you place superstructure and masts and whatnot.

Is there a way to put poo poo "behind" the guns on the right-clicking placement area thingie? It kinda sucks that placing my superstructure/etc. just covers up my sweet, sweet turrets.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

TacticalNecromancy posted:

CSA are Fox News anchors (BB) or ranks that sound awesome until you realise what they are (BC)

Fair and Balanced shipbuilding

15" batteries, no armor

Just like Fox News

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 20, 2018

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
this thread is going to melt down when RTW2 is released

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Good.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I cannot wait to see the goon monstrosities and things that shouldn't work but do. I'm reminded of the Blohm und Voss Berlin-class protected cruiser. :allears:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

TehKeen posted:

I cannot wait to see the goon monstrosities and things that shouldn't work but do. I'm reminded of the Blohm und Voss Berlin-class protected cruiser. :allears:

I miss that LP. Anyone know why it got dropped?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

dublish posted:

I think TriggerHappy's life just got busier. I know the holidays is what distracted me from my LP of it.

Maybe when RtW2 comes out I'll do another one.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

dublish posted:

I got back into RTW recently and was reading that LP to get some tips on how to make better botes, and am now only 3 pages from the end. Sad to know it'll kind of fade away but who am I to talk about mysteriously dropped LPs?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

bgreman posted:

I got back into RTW recently and was reading that LP to get some tips on how to make better botes, and am now only 3 pages from the end. Sad to know it'll kind of fade away but who am I to talk about mysteriously dropped LPs?

:un: REMEMBER MARS

Ah just joshing you, it was fun to be able to experience that glorious monument to Goon administrative incompetence and strategic planning so over complicated the Japanese Naval Command of WW2 said "whoa, slow your roll guys". I'm happy to have been apart of it! :)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think RTW2 is my most anticipated game of the year

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It’s supposed to be out this year.

I’ve never figured out how to draw superstructures but the game doesn’t make me so :effort:

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Because nothing says "Roll Tide" like dragging up the good 'ol CSS Virginia for one last joy ride against Beatty's Steel Hordes.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Jimmy4400nav posted:

:un: REMEMBER MARS

Ah just joshing you, it was fun to be able to experience that glorious monument to Goon administrative incompetence and strategic planning so over complicated the Japanese Naval Command of WW2 said "whoa, slow your roll guys". I'm happy to have been apart of it! :)

I consider it on hiatus. It sits there. Taunting me.

"Come, bgreman. Update! What's the Mind up to? Just run one day. What can it hurt?"

*Some time later*

"Fourteen hours pass and I've only done six hours of in-game time?!"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
finest LP ever imo

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Way to link to it you nerds.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Anyone recommend any grognard-adjacent games from the Steam sale?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
WitE is $24 I might finally get that.

I can't see what other prices are because Steam is still making GBS threads itself

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm going to pick up Cold Waters and FOG 2.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is FOG2 worth $20?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Popete posted:

Way to link to it you nerds.

Here you go, but requires archives.

Also, I think all the image links might be broken because SA now only allows image embeds from SSL-enabled sources and my website is anything but.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

Is FOG2 worth $20?

I think so, yes. The campaign mode isn't much, but the battles are fun and there's lots of replayability from the different factions.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Getting Children of a Dead Earth, can't wait to get my rear end blasted with railguns and missiles.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I've decided to do a play through of rtw rather than buying more games I won't play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Getting Children of a Dead Earth, can't wait to get my rear end blasted with railguns and missiles.

How's that shaping up?