Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just finished The Hollow. The plot is full of holes, the animation is kind of janky, the dialog is often cringe-inducing and some of the direction/editing is just baffling (particularly the last 60 seconds where they have a twist, then flash back to before the show started to reveal... unrelated information we already kind of knew?). That said it kept my attention and had a fun ending which basically makes it the best cartoon ever to come out of Canada. Good job Canada!

Also, Kai does in fact become bearable as he becomes more useful/empathetic but you never completely stop wanting to kick him in the dick for being a dumbass. Seriously, who thought "guy who always makes the worst possible decision" was a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

readingatwork posted:

That said it kept my attention and had a fun ending which basically makes it the best cartoon ever to come out of Canada. Good job Canada!

I think Reboot would disagree with you my dude.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Ed Edd and & Eddy fits that if you include the TV movie. :colbert:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What's with you not remembering Clone High?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

What's with you not remembering Clone High?

God dammit I totally forgot about that one.

:negative:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/status/1006609527733661696?s=19

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
A lot of former Steven Universe names are popping up on the Owl House crew, including Steven Sugar himself

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

A lot of former Steven Universe names are popping up on the Owl House crew, including Steven Sugar himself

Few people from Star vs. as well, including director Sabrina Cotugno and boarder Zach Marcus. Show definitely looks like it has a good amount of talent behind it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Man, I wish the first verse of "Ready as I'll Ever Be" wasn't a super spoiler for Tangled, because it's super good and I'd totally show it to people to convince them that Tangled the Series is worth watching.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

I'm kinda entertained by (based on what little we've seen) how DeviantArt this kinda seems. Normal-come-magical girl type story, Goth-y setting and characters, fuzzy side character that acts inappropriate to its size. The only thing it's missing is a super overt, story derailing romances (with a 50/50 chance of them being hetero or queer), and Invader Zim inspired 'Random' humor.

No judgement against it, it's just kinda funny as this looks like the first show coming from someone born out of a 'very' distinct online culture.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I thought it just looked like Gravity Falls plus... I dunno, there's something very high-end 90s cartoon about it. And what looks like a Pokemon.

I'm reminded of how Phineas and Ferb's concept is like when you remember a bunch of cartoons from your childhood and they all get mashed together.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought it just looked like Gravity Falls plus... I dunno, there's something very high-end 90s cartoon about it. And what looks like a Pokemon.

I'm reminded of how Phineas and Ferb's concept is like when you remember a bunch of cartoons from your childhood and they all get mashed together.

Part of that feeling is because of the fact that the creators first came up with the concept back in the 90's when they were still working on Rocko's Modern Life and then proceeded to spend the better part of 15 years trying to get a network to pick it up

Also why a lot of the main characters have such weird designs(especially compared to a lot of the background characters and characters introduced later in development, or to the style of Milo Murphy)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Does Disney even acknowledge P&F's existence anymore? That show got Teen Titans Go levels of airplay for a few years straight, then as soon as it ended it's like everything related to it went up in a puff of smoke.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I couldn't bear to watch after their terrible crossovers.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Does Disney even acknowledge P&F's existence anymore? That show got Teen Titans Go levels of airplay for a few years straight, then as soon as it ended it's like everything related to it went up in a puff of smoke.

Milo Murphy’s Law is still a thing so technically yes?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I thought the newest Miraculous was cute. Love Jagged Stone he's a real nice guy. :3:

Edit: Started watching Ultimate Muscle for the first time in years - love the opening narration "A giant stone fist travelling at the speed of fight!" That's a great pun.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 17, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BioEnchanted posted:

Edit: Started watching Ultimate Muscle for the first time in years - love the opening narration "A giant stone fist travelling at the speed of fight!" That's a great pun.

While to my understanding they didn't gently caress with Kinnikuman Nisei nearly as hard as usual, it'd be cool to have a release of it that isn't 4kids-ized.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

BioEnchanted posted:

I thought the newest Miraculous was cute. Love Jagged Stone he's a real nice guy. :3:
It's sweet how he's gone from an arrogant, demanding cock of a rock star in his early appearances to Marinette's "dorky uncle", as someone described it.

Fun episode; weirdly not as cringeworthy for the audience on Marinette's behalf as the Comicon table read, which shows just how much a live audience adds to sitcom situations. (It'd be a strain on the animators' mice to do it that way, though. :haw: ) But dammit, girl, he was totally asking you on a date at the end there. At least she didn't completely blow it like in 'Gigantitan'.

Edit: also love that the show is now so comfortable with its shorthands that we only need two bars of the Miraculous Romance Theme to know that Penny's in love with Jagged. :3:

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 17, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

While to my understanding they didn't gently caress with Kinnikuman Nisei nearly as hard as usual, it'd be cool to have a release of it that isn't 4kids-ized.

Apparently there's rumors of a MUSCLE movie being in the works, so could be a possibility

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Beachcomber posted:

I couldn't bear to watch after their terrible crossovers.

The Marvel one was terrible, but I loved the Star Wars one that's like 80% injokes and doesn't actually break canon. (Kinda)

That's pretty standard for Disney cartoons though, when they bother to acknowledge them. Huge while they're on TV, then straight in the vault.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

4kids saved that show, so I'm not gonna fight their treatment of it too badly.

Also, take out all the weird 80s anime racism and original was way better than Nisei.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Payndz posted:

It's sweet how he's gone from an arrogant, demanding cock of a rock star in his early appearances to Marinette's "dorky uncle", as someone described it.

Fun episode; weirdly not as cringeworthy for the audience on Marinette's behalf as the Comicon table read, which shows just how much a live audience adds to sitcom situations. (It'd be a strain on the animators' mice to do it that way, though. :haw: ) But dammit, girl, he was totally asking you on a date at the end there. At least she didn't completely blow it like in 'Gigantitan'.

Edit: also love that the show is now so comfortable with its shorthands that we only need two bars of the Miraculous Romance Theme to know that Penny's in love with Jagged. :3:

So do you think Adrian knows? I think between the way he acted at the end (“are you lying?” tease, mention about the pics in odd places that she confirms were under the bed during the akuma fight in her room) and the offhand ‘didn’t think we’d find out like this’ as they were leaving as Chat Noir I think he at least suspects and is aok with it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Butch Hartman's kickstarting a kid-friendly streaming platform.

quote:

Our goal is to raise $250,000 for our first phase of start-up costs. These include: developing our streaming video platform, hiring creative staff and producers to create original content and to acquire completed projects that fit our family-focused entertainment model.

I'm no expert but that sounds like a woefully inadequate estimate of what that would cost.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Pakled posted:

Butch Hartman's kickstarting a kid-friendly streaming platform.

I'm no expert but that sounds like a woefully inadequate estimate of what that would cost.

If the first phase was to create ads and presentations to interest real investors and creative staff, that might be enough, but I think the MST3k reboot needed more than that per episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Doesn't seem like a bad idea in theory, given how much a disaster YouTube Kids is.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Oracle posted:

So do you think Adrian knows? I think between the way he acted at the end (“are you lying?” tease, mention about the pics in odd places that she confirms were under the bed during the akuma fight in her room) and the offhand ‘didn’t think we’d find out like this’ as they were leaving as Chat Noir I think he at least suspects and is aok with it.
Per rumour, Adrien will be the first to have suspicions about Marinette this season, but I think if he did right now they would have made more of it. This is not a subtle show.

EDIT: the show's creator said straight-up on Twitter that nope, he doesn't know. Question answered, I guess!

Although in hindsight, Gabriel wanting Marinette to play Ladybug in 'Frightningale' has become a bit more meaningful. He's met her several times, he knows she's read the book from his safe, she's always around whenever someone gets turned into a villain, and Ladybug turned up about ten seconds after his failed attempt to akumatise her in 'Zombiezou'. Dude's got to have suspicions of his own by now!

New episode in Canada this weekend, by the way.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 20, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Well, this is a ride:

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1009494377264136192?s=19

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
God I miss Gravity Falls.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I'm hoping we get more Craig of the Creek soon. It's been a long while since new episodes showed up. Considering how they just kinda dumped out a whole poo poo ton of OKKO in what seems like a short time.

I too miss Gravity Falls.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Craig is now my daughter’s favorite show, she demands it pretty much all the time.

So yes, CN needs to release new episodes, because I’m pretty sure I can recite all of the ones they’ve put out so far from memory.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

If the first phase was to create ads and presentations to interest real investors and creative staff, that might be enough, but I think the MST3k reboot needed more than that per episode.

How could an episode of MST3K possibly cost anywhere near that?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

raditts posted:

How could an episode of MST3K possibly cost anywhere near that?

I have to assume it's 98% cast/crew salaries, and then whatever is left goes on whatever wacky props and costumes they need that week.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Craig and the Creek is rather endearing. Has it been renewed by CN or is it too early to tell?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Craig and the Creek is rather endearing. Has it been renewed by CN or is it too early to tell?

It's ostensibly never too early given something like the new PPG, but typically for first seasons, it's later in the order that they'll announce a renewal or not

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I have to assume it's 98% cast/crew salaries, and then whatever is left goes on whatever wacky props and costumes they need that week.

Getting the right kind of rights to the movies is probably a huge part of it, especially now that there are so many platforms to consider. Some of that legal work probably counts as archaeology.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
yeah a lot of Summers CN gets kinda gimmicky with how it premiers new episodes: next batch of Craig is premiering in July, the week after a week of new OK KOs and SUs

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

business hammocks posted:

Getting the right kind of rights to the movies is probably a huge part of it, especially now that there are so many platforms to consider. Some of that legal work probably counts as archaeology.

Joel also had to account for all the goodies given to each new backer.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh you’re talking about the MST3K reboot, not the original! I keep forgetting that exists...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
http://holisticvolunteer.tumblr.com/post/175135580640/holisticvolunteer-a-mysterious-three-caballeros

An unannounced Three Caballeros show has appeared on an Asian(?) Disney app. No news about this being released elsewhere and there doesn't seem to be any info online about it before this tumblr post.

e: The tumblr post says Disneylife is an Asian app but Disney's site says Disneylife is only available in the UK and Ireland so I dunno what's going on

actually now that I think about it, this might be a weird hoax?

Pakled fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Pakled posted:

http://holisticvolunteer.tumblr.com/post/175135580640/holisticvolunteer-a-mysterious-three-caballeros

An unannounced Three Caballeros show has appeared on an Asian(?) Disney app. No news about this being released elsewhere and there doesn't seem to be any info online about it before this tumblr post.

e: The tumblr post says Disneylife is an Asian app but Disney's site says Disneylife is only available in the UK and Ireland so I dunno what's going on

actually now that I think about it, this might be a weird hoax?

Apparently there is a website for it, it was made for the Philippines and released last month?

https://disneylife.ph/ph

So maybe it's real, but its fair to take it with a grain of salt.

Edit: Here’s something that might make it real.

Those three ducks on the side look like April, May and June, Daisy’s nieces who only appeared in the comics. That feels like a really obscure pull for a hoax, but who knows?

cartoons123 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 22, 2018