Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Huh, I read that completely backwards but your way makes sense in regards to the no recourse thing.

Neat idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The whole point of the taxi squad is to stash future prospects. Your taxi squad players aren't affecting your cap, so they're "free" stashes. If you have someone who is startable today on your taxi squad, then you are taking advantage of the taxi squad just to create cap space, so someone else is going to get to make use of that player (and pay their cap hit) instead of you. If you wanted to prevent that, all you had to do was roster the player and pay their dang cap. It's only fair.

That said, you had to spend a draft pick to get that player, so you deserve some kind of chance. Compensation, or a way to block a steal (that costs you something).

In our league, what we did up till now was you could block a steal, by not only promoting to your roster but you also had to start that player that week. Which would make the player permanently ineligible for taxi squad ever again. I think that worked OK, but what happened in practice was that almost every steal attempt got blocked by starting the player, because in dynasty it's better to maybe lost this game and have to cope with the addition to your cap, then to lose a long-term good prospect who could be helping you for many seasons to come.

For example, I started Trubisky one week to avoid him getting stolen off my taxi squad. He was definitely not the QB I wanted to start that week, or really at all that season, but he's also too valuable to just lose off my roster, particularly since I've been struggling at QB for a couple years. I had to deal with his salary in my cap the rest of the season since starting him made him taxi-squad ineligible.

So now we've basically voted to do as Spermy says: we're putting draft picks compensation in instead. (Did we agree to get rid of the blocking mechanism too? I forget.)

We want to leverage rookie salaries, taxi squad space, and taxi squad theft to accomplish these goals:
  • Encourage owners to look at each other's rosters and plot and scheme against the other owners
  • Encourage trading
  • Allow owners to stash long-term prospects who aren't startable today, without blowing up their salary cap
  • Discourage owners from overstacking at a valuable position by putting startable players on their taxi squads while several other teams are severely lacking at that position, a situation which could otherwise persist for years once it's gotten going

All of these factors are aimed at keeping owners engaged and involved all season, even if they're losing a lot of matches this year. Keeping the league healthy and teams having a shot at being competitive, if not this year, then probably next year. Ensuring that if an owner leaves, their team is still attractive to bring in a new owner to the league. Being balanced and fair and fun.

It's been interesting seeing what tweaks get suggested, which things wind up being argued over and which everyone is in favor of or nobody really cares about.

One other thing to keep in mind: in our league, we do IDP. Nobody can stash 14 goddamn WRs on their roster, like RCarr has. You get 24 regular roster slots, 2 IR slots, 3 taxi squad slots, and you need to fill positions at QB, RB, WR, TE, LB, DL, and DB, for a total of 13 starters each week. This year I believe we're expanding the roster by 1, the IDP starters by 1, and maybe the taxi squad by 1, if I remember correctly.

If our salary cap is the same as RCarr's league, but more positions to fill, then there are fewer players at any given position that are viable to put on a roster, and by extension, the rookie draft has to be more selective even with taxi squads. Which means a second round salary that might seem high in RCarr's league may seem less high in our league? Maybe? Although it does seem like we don't draft very many IDP rookies in the rookie draft. And we're pretty sure we need to adjust the rookie salaries. And we're still not totally sure whether we like having the free agent draft before vs. after the rookie draft. (You have to drop players to free agency to make room for your rookie draft, so it makes sense to do the free agent draft after the rookie draft, but... maybe it's very important to know whether you'll get that one high-priced free agent by bid before you decide whether to use or trade away your expensive 1st round pick...?)

The whole subject of figuring out the rules for a dynasty league is kind of fascinating, really. We have three commissioners and by rule, the commissioners get to make the rules, but by custom we poll the whole league about everything important and discuss anything where there's disagreement, because the goal is a fun league that everyone wants to play in.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 14, 2018

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

The other big difference is instead of 2RB 2WR 3 flex, it's 2RB 2WR 1 flex.

Pretty big for needing to have a ridiculous number of WR stashed. Even so, most people don't have any extra IDP players, so they have 6 IDP and 18 offense (of which 7 start).

I have two QBs rostered, 7 RB, 7 WR, 2 TE, and 6 IDP. Plus 1 WR and RB on IR, and 3 on my TS.

I actually also have an interesting cap hit situation coming up -- I'm $19 over cap after removing my two from IR (after I IR hunter henry), with no real picks to worry about.

My cap is a bit awkward -- I have a few very expensive players and then everyone else is super cheap. AB is $75, AJG $45, Gurley $34, Davis $22. So those 4 are $176 of the $250 cap. I don't believe I started Davis last year, so I could arguably TS him, but then I'd lose him or have to promote him anyway.

Behind them, I have Aaron Jones at $18 -- the most obvious candidate to drop or trade (if he wins the starting role) as he is not TS eligibile, and Howard at $10. Everyone else is $5 or less. I could also try to move one of the bigger names, though it's unlikely.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah a dynasty league is definitely a league where you will need to tweak the rules each year until you find that perfect balance. I'm quickly learning that.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 14, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zauper posted:

Even so, most people don't have any extra IDP players, so they have 6 IDP and 18 offense (of which 7 start).
That's one way to go, but it's not been the majority, particularly mid-season.

I think a few of us tended to keep more than 6 IDP during the season but then dropped one or two towards the end of the season/last game or two. I have 7 IDP now, BALLS has 8, the Whalers has 9, Lego has 7, Ash only has five(!), Brick has 8, Garbage has 9, Homey has 8, and the remaining 5 teams including you have 6. I didn't count IDPs on taxi squads/IR but there are a handful around. Essentially if you only carry 6 IDP guys, none of them can be Qs or you're at risk of not having a full roster on Sunday morning. It's often impossible to get up to date info on questionable defensive players because the major sites are much less diligent about reporting whether they practiced on Saturday or looking into whether they're really likely to play or not.

So I think most teams wind up dedicating at least 7 and often 8 or 9 slots to IDP guys, in terms of not being able to roster 18 or even 17 non-IDP uninjured non-taxi guys that you intend to keep through the season.

RCarr posted:

Yeah a dynasty league is definitely a league where you will need to tweak the rules each year until you find that perfect balance. I'm quickly learning that.

Mostly there's just no universally-used format or set of common formats for dynasty, the way there is for regular redraft leagues. So you can't just copy a rules set that has been broadly tested and results from thousands of trials across thousands of leagues for a decade, you have to reinvent the wheel.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

89 posted:

*stumbles into thread*

Hey guys sorry I'm late! Where's the Slow Draft and Fish Bowl??

TWO MONTHS AWAYYYY

I’ll make the fish bowl next week. Going to migrate it to flea flicker, as mfl sucks and charges me like $150

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How do most salary cap dynasty leagues handle the Injured Reserve? Do players on the IR count against the cap? Partially?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
One more slot left in the next slow draft:

https://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/leagues/215539?invite=true

Tell me if you have a particular slot/area you want.

Also, you must write three goals for this draft. Try to make one of them funny. We're sharpening up our writing skills so we can OWN shitposting

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
What the gently caress did I just join

3 goals?

1) Pick my punny team name based on some players last name before the draft begins. Never actually draft that player, complain about having to change my team name.

2) All RB All Day.

3) Take Bortles in the 12th. That's a goal/punishment combo.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 17, 2018

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Spermy Smurf posted:

3) Take Bortles in the 12th. That's a goal/punishment combo.
One lesson we learned from the first slow draft is that QB is so deep this year, you don't have to punish yourself like this. There are actual good QBs available in the 12th!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
What if my team name is Raise your Bortles and goal #1 and goal #3 conflict

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spermy Smurf posted:

Roll out the Bortle, we'll have a Bortle of fun

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spermy Smurf posted:

Galaxy mind blown.

Okay I’m going to fire this one up, let’s this sassy-rear end discussion to the sloe draft thread

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Someone want to link me that thread?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Someone want to link me that thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854617&pagenumber=11&perpage=40

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm almost done switching my salary cap dynasty league over to MFL, but there's one thing I can't figure out. I've manually set the draft order for the upcoming 2018 draft, to reflect all the draft picks that were included in trades. However, I can't figure out how to change draft picks for 2019. Is there a way to do this? We had two trades last season including 2019 draft picks.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

RCarr posted:

I'm almost done switching my salary cap dynasty league over to MFL, but there's one thing I can't figure out. I've manually set the draft order for the upcoming 2018 draft, to reflect all the draft picks that were included in trades. However, I can't figure out how to change draft picks for 2019. Is there a way to do this? We had two trades last season including 2019 draft picks.

I think it's a trades setting where you can see how many years out folks can move picks.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Zauper posted:

I think it's a trades setting where you can see how many years out folks can move picks.

I have it set to "allow trades for up to 5 years in the future." To clarify, I'm not trying to make a trade, I already manually imported all the rosters/players for each team. I'm just trying to manually adjust the 2019 draft picks that were traded during last season.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RCarr posted:

In the trades setup you will need to set how far in the future picks can be traded.

As far as I know there isnt a page that will show that draft list, just the current years, but it still tracks it all so you shouldnt have to worry about someone trading a 2019 2nd round pick twice.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ok so I guess I will have to put the players who were traded back on their original teams, then approve the trade as it went down last season. It's weird that there isn't just a list of picks by year that I can mess with though. It wouldn't be MFL if it was easy though! :)

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

RCarr posted:

Ok so I guess I will have to put the players who were traded back on their original teams, then approve the trade as it went down last season. It's weird that there isn't just a list of picks by year that I can mess with though. It wouldn't be MFL if it was easy though! :)

Why not just trade the picks?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Zauper posted:

God drat it how did I not think of this. :aaaaa:

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
Here's a hot take I can't withhold any longer: I would rather have Eric Ebron for free than Trey Burton at his 8th round ADP. I kept thinking his price would go down at some point but nope, it's holding in the 8th round. There are actual good players still available at that point in draft. What kind of crack are people smoking?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Tiptoes posted:

Here's a hot take I can't withhold any longer: I would rather have Eric Ebron for free than Trey Burton at his 8th round ADP. I kept thinking his price would go down at some point but nope, it's holding in the 8th round. There are actual good players still available at that point in draft. What kind of crack are people smoking?

Why wouldn't you want as many shares of the Chicago Bears high octane offense that will inexplicably be put into a diesel engine making the entire thing unusable?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Zauper posted:

Update on this: It still won't let me trade picks because everyone's roster is currently over the salary cap (due to the yearly salary increase), so I guess I won't be able to settle everything until the deadline to cut players and get under the cap. Oh well.

Anyways, my Kelce for a first round lottery pick ended up being pick #5 overall. The guy who got #1 overall is a huge Giants fan, and has already let us know not to bother offering him anything for that pick, since he is taking Barkley. My question is, should I trade up, or stick with #5 overall? The owner of the #2 pick is open to trading, and I have a lot of trade bait. I actually WANT to move my two 4th round picks, my 5th round pick, and my 7th round pick. Plus I am probably cutting Kelvin Benjamin, so I could throw him in there as well.

It's worth it to offer some or all of that to move up to #2, where I can have my choice of Michel or Guice, right? Rather than be stuck with whoever is left at #5? Thoughts?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
If he'll take random garbage like that, definitely do it. But I wouldn't give up anything of real value. There's a big tier after Barkley that's hard to separate. Penny or Ronald Jones or Chubb are all good prospects too.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

sourdough posted:

If he'll take random garbage like that, definitely do it. But I wouldn't give up anything of real value. There's a big tier after Barkley that's hard to separate. Penny or Ronald Jones or Chubb are all good prospects too.

Yeah, that's my thinking. I don't mind dumping stuff that I literally cannot use, but I'm not going to offer anything of real value to move up 3 spots. Thanks.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RCarr posted:

Update on this: It still won't let me trade picks because everyone's roster is currently over the salary cap (due to the yearly salary increase), so I guess I won't be able to settle everything until the deadline to cut players and get under the cap. Oh well.

Increase the cap, make the trades, lower the cap

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Increase the cap, make the trades, lower the cap

Duh! :lol: Thank you.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What do people consider Tyler Eifert's value in dynasty to be? 16 team 1ppr, start one TE, no special scoring for TEs

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Are we talking ADP?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RCarr posted:

Are we talking ADP?

Trade value/etc. Someone offered me a trade for him that I'm just going to ignore for a while so he can think about what he did (it involved eifert and a backup linebacker for rashad penny), but it made me curious what the general feeling was as to his value

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Azhais posted:

What do people consider Tyler Eifert's value in dynasty to be? 16 team 1ppr, start one TE, no special scoring for TEs

I’m not paying more than a 3rd for him in dynasty. But I would happily pay a 3rd for him and hope he stays healthy.

I’d offer a rotational sophomore who is going to score points but never be the #1 on their team.

In a TE Premium league I’d offer a 3rd plus a guy like that or 2 players.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

sourdough posted:

He ended up accepting. So I send picks 1.05, 4.03, 4.08, 5.08, 7.01 and Kelvin Benjamin, and I receive pick 1.02.

For me, it's basically just straight up swapping my 1.05, for his 1.02, since I was planning on cutting Benjamin, and not using any of my picks past round 3, because the players on my roster I would have to cut to make room to use the picks are more valuable than anyone I would draft with them.

Now the question is who do I take at #2. Michel seems to be the consensus, no?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

RCarr posted:

He ended up accepting. So I send picks 1.05, 4.03, 4.08, 5.08, 7.01 and Kelvin Benjamin, and I receive pick 1.02.

For me, it's basically just straight up swapping my 1.05, for his 1.02, since I was planning on cutting Benjamin, and not using any of my picks past round 3, because the players on my roster I would have to cut to make room to use the picks are more valuable than anyone I would draft with them.

I don't think there is a consensus.

I've seen:
Guice, Penny, Michel all reasonably go second.

They all have risks. Penny is most likely to walk straight into a 3 down back role, but the worst oline. Michel has the best offense but may lose RZ carries and has a lot of competition. CThompson will take the third down work from Guice.

Guice is probably the most talented, and Penny has the best situation. I probably wouldn't take Michel second.

Zauper fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 21, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah I guess I'll play it by ear and pay attention to how training camp goes.

One thing I noticed while messing around the the MFL website.

The commissioner can see all trade offers, and waiver claims, etc that every team makes. That seems like a huge advantage. How do other leagues handle that? Obviously I could just not mention it to anyone, but that doesn't seem right.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

Yeah I guess I'll play it by ear and pay attention to how training camp goes.

One thing I noticed while messing around the the MFL website.

The commissioner can see all trade offers, and waiver claims, etc that every team makes. That seems like a huge advantage. How do other leagues handle that? Obviously I could just not mention it to anyone, but that doesn't seem right.

Just don't look?

You'll probably have to wait until training camp to get a good feel, but at the moment, I really like Penny. Michel fumbles and plays for Belichick.
Plus, there are some injury concerns with him long term. Penny has no real competition.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RCarr posted:

Commissioner/Franchise Setup -> Abilities -> Commissioner Lockout

Set to yes.

Sataere posted:

Just don't look?

You'll probably have to wait until training camp to get a good feel, but at the moment, I really like Penny. Michel fumbles and plays for Belichick.
Plus, there are some injury concerns with him long term. Penny has no real competition.

Yeah I think Penny is the better No. 2 pick.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

It's clearly win-win for both of you, but I would have tried to keep a 4th and used it elsewhere to get a bit more value (maybe a 3rd and 4th for another 2nd, etc). Either way good job playing smart and focusing on clearing out stuff you don't need.

For #2, I say Guice. He's the #2 in consensus rankings, Washington will definitely make use of him, and he's an awesome person who takes fans out to the movies. I don't like Penny because of Seattle's offensive line, and I don't like Michel because LOL New England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Commissioner/Franchise Setup -> Abilities -> Commissioner Lockout

Set to yes.

This is the right answer, and owners can all see when the lockout is enabled and get a notification when it's disabled, so the commish can't engage in shenanigans.