Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
MGSV... *exhales cigarette smoke indulgently* is better than MGS3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
metal gunt solid

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

MGS5 is a mess. At times an awesome mess, but it's all over the place.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sebmojo posted:

I spent a lot of time driving in sr4 because it was fun :shobon:

I was fine with the driving in Saints Row 4, but I frequently hated the flying - that poo poo was annoying, especially the timed trials.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Metal Gear Solid V was a victim of trying to push openworld gameplay in a genre that really doesn't need it. If MGSV was essentially one giant Ground Zeroes it would have been the GOAT. Unfortunately, it is filled with two barren wastelands and so-so base design.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Ahem. One of them was a barren jungle.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The worst part about the base design in MGS5 was how awesome the areas themselves were and how little they did with them. “Check our this gorgeous, sprawling military base with interiors and all sorts of stuff to interact with. We have placed 12 enemies there, that you can easily dispatch in 5 minutes with your massively OP arsenal of weapons. No we did not add any cool reasons to revisit them like ground zeroes did, sorry”

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Don't forget broken rear end buddies like quiet and d-dog. The big dawg especially would make certain segments a cakewalk.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

The worst part about the base design in MGS5 was how awesome the areas themselves were and how little they did with them. “Check our this gorgeous, sprawling military base with interiors and all sorts of stuff to interact with. We have placed 12 enemies there, that you can easily dispatch in 5 minutes with your massively OP arsenal of weapons. No we did not add any cool reasons to revisit them like ground zeroes did, sorry”

I agree that the CONCEPT of some areas were cool, but the level design was pretty poor. They just weren't fun to interact with and the strategy was lacking outside of a few areas.

That said I do have some respect for them trying new concepts, Especially with the whole "the story continues after the main story is over" thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They opted to flush any sort of difficulty balance down the toilet in favor of giving you every toy in the world much like the majority of open word games.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

here's my unpopular opinion: bases in mgsv are cool and i obviously need to play ground zeroes if it does the concept but better

but i don't feel that mgsv is particularly lacking until the end which i have admitttedly not reached, it's fun and dudes respawn so you can try different things, and also you have a rocket fist and a cool dog and can make your helicopter play stupid music, and that's enough to make me just load it up and wander around for a while while the stupid f2p style timers click down

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Here's a seemingly unpopular thing

Metal Gear hasn't really interested me since the moment I beat MGS1 way back, up to Metal Gear Rising, after which I returned to disinterest. I still don't give a poo poo about even installing MGS5 even though I got it for free and have it waiting for me on my PS+ account poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MGS5 is definitely worth playing. Like, I have massive issues with it, but if nothing else it's a really nice looking/playing openish world game with some really bonkers cutscenes and more personality than 90% of the poo poo in the genre.

I feel like someone who isn't an MGS fan might actually appreciate it more. I just hate it as an MGS game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Here's an unpopular MGS related game opinion. I prefer near future sci-fi MGS to 1970's/80's MGS.

E: and Gekkos were really cool

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 21, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Here's an unpopular MGS related game opinion. I prefer near future sci-fi MGS to 1970's/80's MGS.

E: and Gekkos were really cool

I also agree with this.

Unfortunately, while MGS2 is great it starts a very annoying couple.

And MGS4 is easily the worst game in the series.

1970s/1980s Metal Gear has a lot of good classic titles like Metal Gear Solid 3 and Metal Gear 2. But near future sci-fi Metal Gear just has MGS2. I don't include MGS1 in it because I don't feel it is as sci-fi as MGS2 and MGS4.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Shovelknight is a bad game.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I like the story and endings of Farcry 5

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I thought MGS1 was a really irritating game with a lot of gimmickry and talking and not that much game. gently caress all the MGS games, they're not that good.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have never played any of the Metal Gear games and do not have any plans to change this.

Unrelated to this, for some reason I always associate MGS with Contra. It's weird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contra_(video_game)

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Binding of Isaac sucks

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

veni veni veni posted:

MGS5 is definitely worth playing. Like, I have massive issues with it, but if nothing else it's a really nice looking/playing openish world game with some really bonkers cutscenes and more personality than 90% of the poo poo in the genre.

I feel like someone who isn't an MGS fan might actually appreciate it more. I just hate it as an MGS game.

I never really played a MGS game outside of demos or first levels on a display kiosk in a store until I bought MGSV for the 360 and I have to admit I liked it. But there's something about stuff at the home base and hiring soldiers that just instantly takes me right out of the game for some reason. It just feels like at most turns in the game there's just one too many systems going on.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

That said I do have some respect for them trying new concepts, Especially with the whole "the story continues after the main story is over" thing.

Thing is, they already did that in Peace Walker, so MGSV was just sorta retreading that ground, but in HD and with an even more abrupt ending.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
the worst thing about mgs is that its popular and people with bad taste play it, making horrible opinions about it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
If a game is telling its "story" to you, they should have just made a movie. If the contents of the next cutscene are entirely out of your control, they should have just made a movie. If your character is constantly saying and doing things you'd never choose to say or do as that character, they should have just made a movie.

Doom got it right. Half-Life got it right. GTA has yet to get it right - the closest they've gotten is Trevor.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 21, 2018

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Dark Souls/Bloodborne have very good storytelling for a video game, since its done through the environments you explore and the items you collect and not through cutscenes

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BaconCopter posted:

Binding of Isaac sucks

there are people who do nothing but stream binding of isaac every day, like a job, that people pay them for

these people should be ground into a finely textured nutritional paste and worked into public school lunches so they contribute something of value to society on some level

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

ROCKET LEAGUE is easily the best sports video game on the market ATM.

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I thought MGS1 was a really irritating game with a lot of gimmickry and talking and not that much game. gently caress all the MGS games, they're not that good.

It's always struck me as odd, that in all the years that Kojima's been active and not once has anyone called him out on his perversity in his some of his games. The only one that was called out was Quiet's retarded design. I mean, his earlier games had you molesting women (and underage girls), in MGS1 a plot point was Meryl's rear end and in MGS4, for absolutely no loving reason you can jiggle Rose's tits with motion controls.

Japan's "masturbating behind the curtains" peeping tom approach to sexuality compared to say, Duke Nukem's blatant unapologetic tits and rear end.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

If your character is constantly saying and doing things you'd never choose to say or do as that character, they should have just made a movie.

This is all video games where you play as a character

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Japan is just generally a bad and hosed up country

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Zzulu posted:

Japan is just generally a bad and hosed up country

As is every country.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

If your character is constantly saying and doing things you'd never choose to say or do as that character, they should have just made a movie.

This part I disagree with, if only on principle. There are obviously a ton of cases where a player character's actions conflict in a bad way with what the player would do, but I think in a lot of cases that same feeling would happen in a movie, too. How many times have you watched a movie or TV series and stopped giving a poo poo about the characters because of how unbelievable and/or irrational their actions were?

I think it's possible to make a game where you don't make any story-related choices, and might not personally agree with the player character's choices or actions, but the way a game makes you identify with the player character still works to improve the story. Mother 3 is kind of an obscure example, but it's one of my favorite ones. You never make any story choices in the game and might not have chosen to do the things Lucas does--especially at the end--but it's still a good story, and it still uses the fact that the player's going to identify with Lucas to great effect.

Like most things with video game storytelling, though, I think the problem is less that creators break some sort of arbitrary rules that divide different forms of media from one another, and more that they just don't execute things well. There aren't many actually good writers working in games, because why would they? Even if they were paid a reasonable amount for their work--and they wouldn't be--the way the industry works basically ensures that writers don't have much say in what the story actually is or how it's told at most studios. Often a writer just has to go with what the level designers have already made and find some way to stitch it together, or a reasonably-written story ends up chopped up and scrambled as development goes on and fucks up the pacing. There are studios that are more writer-driven (Obsidian and Supergiant Games come to mind) but they're a rarity.

I really don't think that video games are inherently a bad storytelling medium. I just think that the overwhelming majority of development studios don't have any idea how to use them well, and even the ones that try tend to fall into "what if we make a movie but sometimes you play the action scenes"

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Harrow posted:

This part I disagree with, if only on principle. There are obviously a ton of cases where a player character's actions conflict in a bad way with what the player would do, but I think in a lot of cases that same feeling would happen in a movie, too. How many times have you watched a movie or TV series and stopped giving a poo poo about the characters because of how unbelievable and/or irrational their actions were?

I think it's possible to make a game where you don't make any story-related choices, and might not personally agree with the player character's choices or actions, but the way a game makes you identify with the player character still works to improve the story. Mother 3 is kind of an obscure example, but it's one of my favorite ones. You never make any story choices in the game and might not have chosen to do the things Lucas does--especially at the end--but it's still a good story, and it still uses the fact that the player's going to identify with Lucas to great effect.

Like most things with video game storytelling, though, I think the problem is less that creators break some sort of arbitrary rules that divide different forms of media from one another, and more that they just don't execute things well. There aren't many actually good writers working in games, because why would they? Even if they were paid a reasonable amount for their work--and they wouldn't be--the way the industry works basically ensures that writers don't have much say in what the story actually is or how it's told at most studios. Often a writer just has to go with what the level designers have already made and find some way to stitch it together, or a reasonably-written story ends up chopped up and scrambled as development goes on and fucks up the pacing. There are studios that are more writer-driven (Obsidian and Supergiant Games come to mind) but they're a rarity.

I really don't think that video games are inherently a bad storytelling medium. I just think that the overwhelming majority of development studios don't have any idea how to use them well, and even the ones that try tend to fall into "what if we make a movie but sometimes you play the action scenes"

Movies don't traffic in the notion that you are the protagonist, though. Games do. A movie character - even a designated "audience surrogate" like Paul Walker in The Fast and the Furious - isn't tasked with being a vessel embodying the audience itself nearly as directly as a game character is. The writing also tends to be less good in games, but having Shane Black or someone write a game's cutscenes won't solve that fundamental issue, it'll just improve the quality of the puppet show between shooting segments.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

Movies don't traffic in the notion that you are the protagonist, though. Games do.

I don't think I'm Geralt of Rivia

If I was it wouldn't be monsters I'd spend all my time slaying, if you know what I mean

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

MGS5 is bad because it takes MMO style gameplay and makes it a single player game

Go to quest hub and get quest to save/infiltrate, return to quest hub

Maybe you'll get a cutscene as a reward for doing the mission

Made the game feel too much like a game rather than an interactive story

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I guess I should go back and try to play MGS5 again. It just didn't grab me at all. First MGS title I played so there wasn't any soft landing of a series I grew up and was familiar with. I hate the autistic Japanese schtick of rating how well I play levels by grading me, which kind of puts me off. Also I have to say that the MADE BY HIDEO KOJIMA fullscreen every sixty seconds is one of the most cringeworthy and narcissistic touches I have ever seen in a game. I do like rocketing things into the sky by balloon though.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Quote-Unquote posted:

I don't think I'm Geralt of Rivia

If I was it wouldn't be monsters I'd spend all my time slaying, if you know what I mean

When you're playing The Witcher 3, you are, and the fact that you'd rather be bangin' than fighting but the game makes you fight is a strike against the game from a "story" perspective. also the combat in that game suuuuuuuucks

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

When you're playing The Witcher 3, you are.

No I'm still me but I'm pushing buttons to make a man on my TV move about and fight stuff

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

Movies don't traffic in the notion that you are the protagonist, though. Games do. A movie character - even a designated "audience surrogate" like Paul Walker in The Fast and the Furious - isn't tasked with being a vessel embodying the audience itself nearly as directly as a game character is. The writing also tends to be less good in games, but having Shane Black or someone write a game's cutscenes won't solve that fundamental issue, it'll just improve the quality of the puppet show between shooting segments.

That's true, but I don't think it's necessarily true that, to play a video game, you need to feel like you personally are the player character. You can identify with a character without necessarily identifying as them, in other words.

For example, in The Witcher 3, I'm not Geralt of Rivia. Geralt is a pre-established character with a personality that I probably wouldn't create if I was making him from scratch like a Fallout character or something. Yes, I can make some choices in my time playing as Geralt, but those choices are always within the boundaries of what Geralt would do--there are never any choices available that would be wildly out-of-character for Geralt, even if I, as a player, might rather pick something like that. But I do identify with Geralt. I don't feel like I am Geralt, but I'm there with him and guiding him.

You're very right that video games can create a closer connection between the player and protagonist than a movie can between a viewer and protagonist, and I think that's exactly where the potential strength of games as a storytelling medium lies. I just don't think that the assumption needs to be that the player is the character for that to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I sometimes wonder if I'm a psycho because I never get sucked into a story to the extent that I lose contact with the real world or get really into pretending I'm the main character in a video game but from the way people talk that's the primary mode of engagement with the things