Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Kai Tave posted:

The attack helicopter meme is basically a way of saying "lol trans people are delusional" and attempting to somehow, I dunno, "reclaim" it by going "no no, this time it's meant in deadly earnest, you can ACTUALLY be [thing which is associated with implying that you're a delusional brokebrain]" is, as Saguaro PI says, exceptionally tone deaf. There's been a great deal of medical and psychological research that's gone into gender identity and dysphoria related to that which is why it's not on the same level as somebody going "lol I'm an attack helicopter" so it isn't actually a great comparison to make even in the context of some made-up transhuman sci-fi setting.

Is there a link to the reddit thread in question? I can't seem to turn up anything.

I'm very aware of the distinct issues facing trans people, and the factors that impact on gender identity and dysphoria, as it personally affects me significantly. However, some trans people are also transhumanists, and I don't necessarily see a fundamental problem with this approach, but I agree that it needs to be handled extremely sensitively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yeah. In theory a posthuman society will also be post-gender (or at least beyond it mattering on anything but an individual, personal level), but if you try and pull it off like KC there you're loving it right up.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Kai Tave posted:

Wait this was something they needed to specify? Is there someone posting on RPGnet who works for ICE and they've been complaining about being unfairly attacked?

Yes.

edit: The Immigration thread in Tangency had an ICE agent complaining that people were saying bad things about the organization because they claimed they hadn't really seen any abuse personally.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

Is there a link to the reddit thread in question? I can't seem to turn up anything.

That's not a thread. It's a screenshot of a Private Message exchange on reddit

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's not a thread. It's a screenshot of a Private Message exchange on reddit

So it's perhaps not terribly well expressed views in a private communication which someone has made public probably without his permission, and therefore unlikely the nuance with which he would express these opinions to a wider audience?

People suck.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Yes.

edit: The Immigration thread in Tangency had an ICE agent complaining that people were saying bad things about the organization because they claimed they hadn't really seen any abuse personally.

Well that sure is a thing. Good on that dude for pushing the mods into action, I guess.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
https://twitter.com/ZweihanderRpg/status/1009650595538653184

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

:perfect:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What’s the point of the trademark? Are they going to litigate? Twitter isn’t going to do poo poo.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Zweihanderguy is one of the few RPG industry people more constantly selfpromoting than Pundit.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

xiw posted:

Zweihanderguy is one of the few RPG industry people more constantly selfpromoting than Pundit.

I'm sure there was some thing about him creating a website listing pundit's address and stuff, though that could just be pundit/nisarg/collosal wanker lying as he normally does.

But yeah, arsehole does something to troll bigger arsehole.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

xiw posted:

He pisses off parts of /tg/ by sending takedowns to file hosts when they pirate his stuff, he's pretty great. Of course, Precis (one of Pundit's publishers) does that too...

has anyone seen them in the same room

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

He pisses off parts of /tg/ by sending takedowns to file hosts when they pirate his stuff, he's pretty great.
Are those of the authors who don't do that less cool for it?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
That is funny but I'm going to be That Guy and say that is a lot of money for a Twitter bit :ssh:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ettin posted:

That is funny but I'm going to be That Guy and say that is a lot of money for a Twitter bit :ssh:

Extremely agreed, but people keep high-fiving the guy for his total epic own of Pundit. :confused:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

This is a tiny bit funny but I'm going to have to agree with everyone saying that this is way too far for a Twitter joke and I largely don't really get it?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I am confused in that he is then (apparently) immediately chummy with D&D's other unnamable consultant.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
I mean, I have no idea on comparative costs for marketing in RPGs (in no small part because most of them likely don't have any marketing budget). But 300 doesn't strike me as that nutty for a one off stunt that nets community goodwill and attention. Zweihander's a cheaper digital book, but even so you're talking maybe 50ish sales to recoup the cost, more or less?

And yeah, its kind of silly and pointless in terms of doing much of anything with the trademark. But Pundit is an unhinged dumbass, so even if its actual legal power to gently caress with him is nil, its fairly likely he'll have some sort of contorted reaction to it that does him no favors in the end. Tarnowski's pretty much incapable of not shooting himself in the foot.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

moths posted:

I am confused in that he is then (apparently) immediately chummy with D&D's other unnamable consultant.

What's confusing about that? Zak and Pundit are pretty much polar opposites: the only thing they have in common is an enjoyment of the OSR and being widely disliked.

I don't know what the origin of the Pundit vs. Zweihander guy thing is, but he managed to get himself banned from Pundit's forum for some sort of e-stalking thing. I can't be arsed to go down the usual rabbit holes to see how it all started, but there's definitely bad blood there.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Xotl posted:

What's confusing about that? Zak and Pundit are pretty much polar opposites: the only thing they have in common is an enjoyment of the OSR and being widely disliked.

I mean they also have the common element of organizing harassment campaigns against people who criticize them. Which is why they are both widely disliked.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Serf posted:

I mean they also have the common element of organizing harassment campaigns against people who criticize them. Which is why they are both widely disliked.

Yes, but what does that have to do with the idea that you could be friends of one and not the other?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Xotl posted:

Yes, but what does that have to do with the idea that you could be friends of one and not the other?

Generally you shouldn't be friends with people who run harassment campaigns.

Regardless, the two are not "polar opposites" unless you're a real smoothbrain.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Serf posted:

Generally you shouldn't be friends with people who run harassment campaigns.

Nobody said otherwise. What are you on about?

quote:

Regardless, the two are not "polar opposites" unless you're a real smoothbrain.

One is a culture warrior who constantly rails about the dangers of SJWs and cultural leftism, and the other is anything but. This isn't complicated. Nor does it have any bearing on whether or not they're good people.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The problem of appeasement of those used to being petty and abusive is that you're only their friend as long as you're actually appeasing them. As soon as you give up the lickspittle routine, you're essentially their enemy again.

This may be relevant to contemporary world politics as well.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Xotl posted:

One is a culture warrior who constantly rails about the dangers of SJWs and cultural leftism, and the other is anything but. This isn't complicated. Nor does it have any bearing on whether or not they're good people.

They're both garbage because they do the exact same poo poo. Zak S is the living embodiment of performative wokeness.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Xotl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

"anything but"

Yeah tell me more about how the guy who harasses trans designers out of the industry is a polar opposite to the guy who wants minorities out of the industry.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Fuego Fish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

"anything but"

Yeah tell me more about how the guy who harasses trans designers out of the industry is a polar opposite to the guy who wants minorities out of the industry.

Yeah, this

Much like how Desborough insistes he's extreme left wing but happens to support gamergate and thinks rape literature is cool ohh and women don't deserve rights, but he's totally a lefty down with the man type.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Xotl, is your point that they're both terrible people with different outward personas and self-justifications for their awfulness, and those inherently put them at odds even though the outcome of their behaviors is the same?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
not all bad people are bad in the same way...that shouldn't really be controversial

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

not all bad people are bad in the same way...that shouldn't really be controversial

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xotl posted:

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'm still laughing at the idea that being an insane reactionary has no bearing on whether you're a good person.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Xotl, is your point that they're both terrible people with different outward personas and self-justifications for their awfulness, and those inherently put them at odds even though the outcome of their behaviors is the same?

Mostly. All it was was an idle part of a post commenting on one poster's bafflement that you could be friends with one but not the other. They obviously have different lifestyles and concerns and a lot of other things, even if they're both toxic people with similar brigading behaviours; you can be broken in a lot of different ways, yet still use the same tools to achieve your ends. Or:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Serf posted:

I'm still laughing at the idea that being an insane reactionary has no bearing on whether you're a good person.

That's not what I meant. I was trying to say that pointing out that they're two different kinds of bad person doesn't mean that I'm arguing that they're good people.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 21, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Serf posted:

I usually see this sentiment coming in the opposite direction -- that is, "before it was just a difference of political opinion, but now it's a moral issue" -- but it's still just as absurd.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It seems self-defeating to drop $300USD on triviality inconveniencing one industry tumor, then chat with an equally egregious shitbird in the very next tweet.

My assumption in his buying the copyright was that maybe he's trying to clean up the community, followed by a hard LOL, no he isn't.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Xotl posted:

Mostly. All it was was an idle part of a post commenting on one poster's bafflement that you could be friends with one but not the other. They obviously have different lifestyles and concerns and a lot of other things, even if they're both toxic people with similar brigading behaviours; you can be broken in a lot of different ways, yet still use the same tools to achieve your ends. Or:

Was it tiring to move those goalposts that far?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

moths posted:

It seems self-defeating to drop $300USD on triviality inconveniencing one industry tumor, then chat with an equally egregious shitbird in the very next tweet.

My assumption in his buying the copyright was that maybe he's trying to clean up the community, followed by a hard LOL, no he isn't.
yeah he paid $300 to make a PWNED!!!! tweet, pretty sad/awkward

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
People are getting weirdly angry about the fairly obvious notion that Zak S and Pundit have nothing in common aside from doing more or less the same crimes.

Like, two different murderers or two different bank robbers don't necessarily get along, either.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

If I could pay $300 to somehow have blocked "comicsgate" or whatever the thing with incels hating TLJ is called I would strongly consider it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

alg posted:

If I could pay $300 to somehow have blocked "comicsgate" or whatever the thing with incels hating TLJ is called I would strongly consider it

I wouldn't bother. Not unless you feel like buying up all the ghazi's as well.