Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I was kind of hoping that there would be a different take on that character's intro story if you show up and recruit them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Has anyone else seen that full world map being posted on reddit and other places? I guess the entire map visible in the demo is a much smaller portion of the whole than I thought.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Incidentally, one of the reasons that random encounters are used is because the developers thought that having enemies visible on screen could have led to confusion about how to interact with them (Path Actions and the like) so random encounters were used instead.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Tae posted:

The recent interview with the developers suggest that the reason why there's little to no conversation at the beginning of the game is because you can straight up not recruit characters and still beat the game.

FF6 pulled it off decades ago with probably the same budget roughly

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh I am so glad I bought this game especially the part about sub stories and dungeons

quote:

In an interview with Dengeki Online, Square Enix producer Masashi Takahashi said that it should take about fifty to sixty hours to complete the main story.

“It took about 80 to 100 hours in testing to play through the other elements, like sub-stories and dungeons that you don’t have to go to as well as get proficient as you like at using special skills as field commands.”

Dengeki Online asked if there were plans to offer DLC.

“We are not thinking about that at all,” said Takahashi. “The release version is a finished product.”

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-rpg-octopath-traveler-wont-have-dlc-bec-1826912412

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

g0lbez posted:

FF6 pulled it off decades ago with probably the same budget roughly
That's not true at all. For the first part of the game, and for large swathes of it afterwards, your party is almost always set, or forces you to bring along characters who then interact. When they don't know who is with you, all the dialogue is "done like this" and it doesn't matter who is in the party.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I always liked Chrono Cross's accent translation thing. You had generic lines, but delivered like that character otherwise talks. I mean, some of them are awful, but still, you bring Poshul, you specifically chose a lithping dog and you get what you paid for.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wouldn't have really noticed the weirdness with characters not interacting if your main character had at least two or three lines. Other characters don't necessarily need them, but it feels odd to have Primrose going like, "I don't know why you'd want to help me, but okay," joining up with Alfyn, and then Alfyn remaining totally silent as they go to witness horrible trauma for Primrose and kill a guy. Just a line like, "I can't see someone in need and not help out" or something would've smoothed it over so much.

Then give each character one or two lines they can say to any main character at the end of their prologue to the effect of, "It looks like we're going the same way, so we might as well stick together for a while." There, done. They don't even need to be voiced.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Echophonic posted:

I always liked Chrono Cross's accent translation thing. You had generic lines, but delivered like that character otherwise talks. I mean, some of them are awful, but still, you bring Poshul, you specifically chose a lithping dog and you get what you paid for.

Chrono Cross had entirely too many characters but I haven't ever seen a game since that does such a good job of disguising the generic lines. I guess it had to be when your party could have any 3 of 45 recruitable characters and the alternative was writing 45 different scripts.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

There are some standouts in here, notably Hunter Tressa :3:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8gUd2cx3GY

As noted in this box art analysis, all of the eight characters are equally important, so whoever is the main character is entirely up to you. :kimchi:

(Also has some cool notes about the placements of the characters on the boxart and so on.)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

FF5 Berserker Tressa. :black101:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
wait a second

does that mean the cross-class stuff gets you new costumes?

Folt The Bolt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8gUd2cx3GY

As noted in this box art analysis, all of the eight characters are equally important, so whoever is the main character is entirely up to you. :kimchi:

(Also has some cool notes about the placements of the characters on the boxart and so on.)
looked at this and enjoyed it, but I don't agree that the characters are represented equally. Primrose is extremely clearly the main focus, not just by being in the centre but also by being the only character with even remotely vibrant colors, and Olberic by towering above the rest (and being in the centre.) In contrast, Tressa and H'aanit almost blends into their adjacent characters.

still not a bad box art, but I wish they'd focus on someone other than Primrose and Olberic

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 19, 2018

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Every class but the dancers is color coded.

This is incredibly annoying.

That being said, I am glad the men get a belly shirt in their dancer costume.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It's interesting that the characters are organized in a way clockwise around the map to perfectly spell Octopath. I mean, I knew the title was made up from the names, but they really laid it out that way from the character select screen.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Good on Primrose adamantly refusing to wear clothes regardless of class.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/appbank/status/1008660628637007873

There will be a livestream this Friday, by producer Masashi Takahashi.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Just because I haven’t seen it posted anywhere: the demo kind of lasts longer than three hours. I should have gotten cut off in the middle of Cyrus’ scenario, but it let me continue all the way through and out to the world map. Easily 4+ hours.

I recorded myself playing the demo, would anyone be interested in me posting the videos? It was a twitch steam, so you’d have to deal with me fiddling with technology and whatever.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so can you just keep wandering through areas til you hit the characters you want to get in the demo? Starting as Therion and I wondered if that meant I could only get Alfyn or H'annit next since they were the ones next to me.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Is there any indication that they reviewed any of the feedback received from the demo and implemented it in any fashion? I know probably not because of how far along in development it was when the first demo came out but I'm wondering why even bother having a survey like that then.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

g0lbez posted:

Is there any indication that they reviewed any of the feedback received from the demo and implemented it in any fashion? I know probably not because of how far along in development it was when the first demo came out but I'm wondering why even bother having a survey like that then.

You mean the first demo? They added a ton of QoL after the initial demo.

Also any feedback they receive from this demo will probably be patched in the future. Xenoblade 2 got a poo poo ton of QoL patches months after release.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
That's good to hear then! Guess I should probably play the demo first before assuming things

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
This is specifically what they changed from the initial demo to the current one:
-Running is automatic when you tilt the stick all the way.
-You can run even faster by pressing B while running, but it increases encounter rate
-Fast travel
-Visual changes to make moving in the environment easier
-Radar that points to entrances, exits, and important areas
-Filter settings on the brightness and on the HD-2D
-Reworked the save UI so you're less likely to overwrite a save; also you'll have 10 save slots total (One is auto-save)
-Reworked Text UI
-Added Skip function to cutscenes; replay feature to rewatch scenes
-Made Text faster, added option to adjust speed

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

g0lbez posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohd4Mz-sr18

This was uploaded in January

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Well gently caress my cynical rear end then, good on the dev team

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Your Computer posted:

wait a second

Yep. It was mentioned in a previous direct, as you cross-class your character's appearance will change based on the changes you make.

Tae posted:

This is specifically what they changed from the initial demo to the current one:
-You can run even faster by pressing B while running, but it increases encounter rate

I wonder how many people upset by the encounter rate are holding B and forgot this is a thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

wait a second

Hell yes it does.

Though I'm curious if you're always going to wear the costume of your subclass, which is sort of how it was depicted in the trailer that showed off the class system, or whether you can still wear your default costume if you want.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I wonder how many people upset by the encounter rate are holding B and forgot this is a thing.

I don't love that as a mechanic, but I can see how they would get there. If they've balanced things around there being X number of encounters over Y distance traveled, then traveling that distance faster means you're going to hit those encounters with less time between. I wonder if you'll hit roughly the same number of encounters crossing a map no matter whether you sprint or not.

That said, I also didn't know ahead of time that sprinting increased the encounter rate, but the radar turning red as I ran made it immediately apparent. Good UI design! :eng101:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I may have picked up the two boss themes and the battle theme from the preview soundtrack for my iPhone. I feel like a junkie trying anything get that Octopath high.

In all seriousness, I’ve been tempted to pick up Romancing Saga 2 to help tide me over for Octopath. Is it something worth picking up or should I just skip over? I’m having a JRPG itch that needs to be scratched.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

jimmydalad posted:

So I may have picked up the two boss themes and the battle theme from the preview soundtrack for my iPhone. I feel like a junkie trying anything get that Octopath high.

In all seriousness, I’ve been tempted to pick up Romancing Saga 2 to help tide me over for Octopath. Is it something worth picking up or should I just skip over? I’m having a JRPG itch that needs to be scratched.

Romancing SaGa 2 is really good. The way you build up your empire over generations with a bunch of nonlinear quests is pretty cool and helps the game hold up even by modern standards. Just a heads up though that the actual content is more or less completely unchanged from the SNES original, meaning there's basically no tutorials and quests can sometimes involve trying to find the right npc to talk to trigger the next step.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
As someone in the same boat but further along, I would pick Battle Chasers.

West of Loathing is great cheap simple turned based adventure game as well.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anybody know if they've been sending out surveys for this demo? If so, do we know the questions?

I didn't get one but my primary complaint would still be Let Us Turn Down HD-SD (or whatever they're calling it) If We Want.

And also I don't think I quite understood how hidden items were supposed to work. The radar feels a wee bit wonky to me, though I'm glad it's there.

Harrow posted:

I don't love that as a mechanic, but I can see how they would get there. If they've balanced things around there being X number of encounters over Y distance traveled, then traveling that distance faster means you're going to hit those encounters with less time between. I wonder if you'll hit roughly the same number of encounters crossing a map no matter whether you sprint or not.

That said, I also didn't know ahead of time that sprinting increased the encounter rate, but the radar turning red as I ran made it immediately apparent. Good UI design! :eng101:

Those statements seem contradictory. I also am not sure if running means that you will have the same average number of encounters per distance traveled and the UI just turns red to be deceptive or if the encounter rate is jacked up while running, which is what I think a red UI ought to imply.

But every now and then it leads to me walking when I don't really want to get to more encounters because I want to get on with the game faster. They force, or even worse maybe trick, you into going slower if you want things to go faster.

Bad mechanical design if you ask me. The sliders in Bravely Default were way better: less confusing and more effective.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Maybe this is a bit obvious, but the bosses seem to scale up difficulty with the amount of party members or levels, right? I just went through Tressa -> Olberic -> Primrose and I have a hard time believing that Primroses boss could be beaten solo at the starting levels. It seemed more difficult than the previous demo

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ventana posted:

Maybe this is a bit obvious, but the bosses seem to scale up difficulty with the amount of party members or levels, right? I just went through Tressa -> Olberic -> Primrose and I have a hard time believing that Primroses boss could be beaten solo at the starting levels. It seemed more difficult than the previous demo

I did my run with Primrose as my starter and the boss + minions absolutely loving destroyed me and I haven't bothered to pick it back up and try anyone else yet, so it's nice to hear I apparently wasn't missing something obvious.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, the first three bosses you fight when recruiting characters get progressively stronger, since your team size is increasing. It stops after that since the size limit of your team is 4.

But the neat thing is that it's not just an increase in stats, but the actual complexity of the fights. If you do Ophilia later, for example, the boss actually summons several mobs instead of one, that all start counting down at the same time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So just to be clear - starting character doesn't really mean anything at all and I'll get to experience 100% of every character's story on one save file, right?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I don't own a Switch and make it a policy not to buy systems for a single game but man is this one pushing me to my breaking point.

Also, I'm glad they stuck with Octopath Traveler as the name. It's got that Bravely Default charm about it, though hopefully this game wraps up a little neater.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

So just to be clear - starting character doesn't really mean anything at all and I'll get to experience 100% of every character's story on one save file, right?

I believe you can't remove your starting character from the active party, so that might matter to you. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least some part where your starting character has some special lines or something.

Beyond that, they've said that you can do every character's story in a single playthrough, and nothing seems to contradict that. So pick someone for your starting character who you're happy to always have in the party and who you think is particularly cool, but that's about all you need to think about.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Harrow posted:

I believe you can't remove your starting character from the active party, so that might matter to you. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least some part where your starting character has some special lines or something.

Beyond that, they've said that you can do every character's story in a single playthrough, and nothing seems to contradict that. So pick someone for your starting character who you're happy to always have in the party and who you think is particularly cool, but that's about all you need to think about.

How do they introduce additional characters to the party? Do you join them at the start of their story? Or find them and then play their origin story as a flashback or something?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

How do they introduce additional characters to the party? Do you join them at the start of their story? Or find them and then play their origin story as a flashback or something?

You meet them in their town (they are just standing around) they ask to join you or whatever and then you play their origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Skeezy posted:

You meet them in their town (they are just standing around) they ask to join you or whatever and then you play their origin.

Oh! Cool. That sounds great.