Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

I can't believe Jameis Winston's defense of "No it was the OTHER black guy" didn't hold up.

The real bitch of it is that he wouldn't be getting suspended because of the incident, but because he failed to report it to the players union:

https://www.pewterreport.com/making-sense-winstons-potential-suspension/

There's a lot more in the article but:

quote:

The recent news of Winston being suspended isn’t even a matter of Winston being guilty of the accusations. At this point, it could be about technicalities of protecting the NFL’s brand instead of whether or not he did or didn’t do it or was even in the car.

That is something that exists in the language of the new NFL Personal Conduct Policy that was passed in December of 2016.

Clubs and players are obligated to promptly report any matter that comes to their attention (through, for example, victim or witness reports, law enforcement, or media reports) that may constitute a violation of this Policy. Clubs are expected to educate their employees on this obligation to report. Club reports should be made to NFL Security or Adolpho Birch of the Management Council legal staff. Questions about whether an incident triggers a reporting obligation should be directed to Adolpho Birch or Lisa Friel of the league office.

So, according to the current Conduct Policy, which is still in place today, Winston could potentially be held accountable for not reporting this instance when it happened. We know that because there is a voicemail from Uber contacting Winston “recently” after the incident occurred in March of 2016, which suspended Winston’s Uber account.

“Hi Jameis, this is Chris calling from the Uber office. I’m following up on a report we had from one of your recent trips where you or someone in the vehicle with you had some inappropriate behavior. I just want to follow up and get some more information on that. Your Uber account is on temporary hold while we investigate the situation. I’ll follow up with e-mail and hopefully we can find a better time to connect.”

Now, this is where things get a little tricky and where the NFL’s investigative measures that we do not know of, at this time, come into play.

Winston getting a voicemail like that where all it says is “inappropriate behavior” is very vague. That could be anything from using foul language or jumping all over the car or spilling food or drinks; anything like that. Of course, it could also be more serious, something such as the allegation that was brought before him. If Uber, in fact, emailed Winston and gave him the details of what allegations were presented to them after that voicemail, then the NFL may have the power to act on a failing to report. But, if Winston never received an email with the details of what the inappropriate behavior was or if they did not call him again and do so over the phone, then Winston could have a case to fight the NFL suspending him over a failure to report when Winston didn’t even know what he was supposed to report. Vague “inappropriate behavior” likely isn’t enough, especially if the league was not able to find any evidence of validity to the allegations against him, which we are not certain of either yet.

And there’s another element to this.

The incident occurred in March of 2016. The NFL’s current Personal Conduct Policy did not begin until late 2016. So, when this alleged incident occurred, that was not the exact language that was in the Conduct Policy, at that time. That, in theory, could give Winston some leverage to fight a suspension since he couldn’t violate a policy that didn’t exist yet.

However, the Conduct Policy that was in place, at the time – which went live in 2014 – did have language in it that, again, could be enough for the league to act the way it sees fit.

Clubs are obligated to promptly report any matter that comes to their attention (through, for example, victim or witness reports, law enforcement, media reports) that may constitute a violation of this Policy. Clubs are expected to educate their employees on this obligation to report. League employees who are aware of an incident that may violate this Personal Conduct Policy have a similar obligation to report the matter. Reports should be made to any of Robert Gulliver or Tara Wood of Human Resources, Jeffrey Miller of NFL Security or Adolpho Birch of the Management Council legal staff.

If you’ll notice, the word “players” was not present at the beginning of the 2014 Conduct Policy like it is in the current one from 2016. However, the sentence “clubs are expected to educate their employees on this obligation to report” likely takes all the power out of Winston’s hands again if, in fact, he was made known of the details of the “inappropriate behavior” that Uber first notified him of. Under that Conduct Policy, the NFL could actually be able to legally blame the Buccaneers franchise for not knowing this (via the responsibility to tell their players to report any incident) and not reporting it to the NFL themselves. That also could be enough grounds for them to suspend however they see fit – in this case, the player involved.

But, all of this stems from whether or not Winston was told the details of the incident soon after they actually happened and not over a year and a half later when Buzzfeed came out with their breaking news report.

That is likely all of what the NFL has been investigating, and could likely be why we hear that people like Winston’s former Florida State teammate Ronald Darby (who might have been in the vehicle) and even Winston had not been interviewed yet. The case of story itself might already be closed by the NFL, but the investigation to see if Winston and the Buccaneers fully complied with the league’s reporting policy could still be on going and, according to Cameron’s recent report, not going well for those hoping Winston gets out of this without a scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Let's talk about Jameis Winston while there's video of Troy Polamalu elbow-dropping a gator to save Stevie from Malcolm in the Middle from certain death

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Let's talk about Jameis Winston while there's video of Troy Polamalu elbow-dropping a gator to save Stevie from Malcolm in the Middle from certain death

If it was Malcolm, he should have let the gator eat him.

I.....like.....Stevie.. ....though......

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's not Troy and it's a fake gator (look at how it moves with the water).

YEAH IM THAT GUY DO SOMETHING

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

It's not Troy and it's a fake gator (look at how it moves with the water).

YEAH IM THAT GUY DO SOMETHING

You're uninvited from my fireworks party.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

You're uninvited from my fireworks party.

aw man I didn't think someone would actually do something

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I think it might be time to retire this avatar

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/PirateLifeFF/status/1007738110766211073

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Yeah let's talk about the guy that plays football currently

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Pssh. City boy talking about elbow dropping gators like its a special event.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

a neat cape posted:

Yeah let's talk about the guy that plays football currently

That certainly doesn't stop you from talking about Seau or LdT my dude

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

lmao oh snap

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Ryan Leaf

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Why the gently caress does a shield need protecting

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Wasn't Big Bob a Cowboys fan?

Never got why he had an existential crisis over some bad Raiders game

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

It's how I cope with having Melvin Gordon on my team

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

a neat cape posted:

It's how I cope with having Melvin Gordon on my team

Oh my god

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Never got why he had an existential crisis over some bad Raiders game

It was a really bad Raiders game ok?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

It was a really bad Raiders game ok?

It was a late night MNF double header between Oakland and pre-Peyton Denver. It was miraculously bad

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

He was a pretty straightforward poster before that game.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Why the gently caress does a shield need protecting

right?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

nerve posted:

Oh my god

He's got an incurable disease.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

pubic works project posted:

He's got an incurable disease.

Sign me up for that sexy 3.9 ypc

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007
Did the articles from that goon-run football website get saved anywhere? I think it was called Football and Rational Thoughts (GET IT?). Big Bob had some hilarious articles he had written on there I think.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jivesauce posted:

Did the articles from that goon-run football website get saved anywhere? I think it was called Football and Rational Thoughts (GET IT?). Big Bob had some hilarious articles he had written on there I think.

EHUD DROPPED THE BALL!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I think I still hav all that stuff but I’m jus so tired right now

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
BBP had the greatest game previews every week.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

a neat cape posted:

It was a late night MNF double header between Oakland and pre-Peyton Denver. It was miraculously bad
Denver's QB that game? Kyle Orton

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

piss tape israel posted:

Denver's QB that game? Kyle Orton

Poor Sophia, doomed to love the unattainable drunk.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/21/streaker-hit-by-player-at-cfl-game-hires-lawyer-says-he-was-injured/

The streaker that got decked by a player at last weekend's CFL game is suing for injury lol. Times sure have changed.

I think the funniest part, though is that the streaker was fined . . . 115 dollars. That seems slightly low. In the US they'd probably still be in jail with an NFL lawsuit pending

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Jameis "Famous Rapist" Winston

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
omg Baker Mayfield roasting Colin Cowherd is extremely my thing

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

weird Asian candy posted:

I can't wait to watch it when I get off work.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

weird Asian candy posted:

Verbal or literal?

(Please say literal)

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

whypick1 posted:

Verbal or literal?

(Please say literal)

I wish it were literal...

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Play posted:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/21/streaker-hit-by-player-at-cfl-game-hires-lawyer-says-he-was-injured/

The streaker that got decked by a player at last weekend's CFL game is suing for injury lol. Times sure have changed.

I think the funniest part, though is that the streaker was fined . . . 115 dollars. That seems slightly low. In the US they'd probably still be in jail with an NFL lawsuit pending

You can try and sue anybody, but a fan on the field isn't gonna win poo poo. Monica Seles kinda ended any chance of that.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://twitter.com/camdasilva/status/1009845342198812672

Imagine listening to Colin Cowherd on purpose.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chargers and Saints will have joint practices again this August in LA before their preseason game.

Woo more QB challenges between Brees and Rivers like last year

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

whypick1 posted:

BAKER MAYFIELD FOR HALL OF FAME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

whypick1 posted:

rekt

• Locked thread