Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Wrar posted:

Unfortunately this largely depends on where you live. I know in Seattle most small buildings some have ac and fixing it isn't important like it would be in Texas or Florida.

My lease (in TX) specifically states "HVAC failure is not considered an emergency" and not to bother them with it after hours. (not word for word, but paraphrased...). It took 3 days for them to fix mine last summer... and I'm on the top floor. They gave me a giant portable in that time, but it only kept the bedroom somewhat comfortable.

.... the city has something else to say about that (can't be above 80 inside if it's below 100 outside; if it's above 100, the AC must get it at least 20 degrees cooler inside - IF a/c is provided by the landlord), but the state itself doesn't. Landlords aren't required to provide any form of HVAC by the state.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

STR posted:

My lease (in TX) specifically states "HVAC failure is not considered an emergency" and not to bother them with it after hours. (not word for word, but paraphrased...). It took 3 days for them to fix mine last summer... and I'm on the top floor. They gave me a giant portable in that time, but it only kept the bedroom somewhat comfortable.

.... the city has something else to say about that (can't be above 80 inside if it's below 100 outside; if it's above 100, the AC must get it at least 20 degrees cooler inside - IF a/c is provided by the landlord), but the state itself doesn't. Landlords aren't required to provide any form of HVAC by the state.

I sent in the the request after hours last night and the guy called me back within about an hour (around 10 pm or so) he just showed up and I guess the compressor coils were dirty or something, did something with a hose and it's running again and seems to be blowing colder he said he'll be back in about an hour to check it again and make sure it can get back down to temp. Seems odd because it's been able to maintain about 68 with no problem all summer, but this is the first real heat we've gotten here all year.

We shall see if it fixed it. Down to 80 now from an average of 85-86 all yesterday.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I had one apartment where the AC really sucked. My apartment was always mid 70s and it was annoying. I put in a thing for them to check it out and they replaced something and it was sort of better. Then I moved to a better apartment and it was always 68 degrees in my apartment and it was amazing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Y’all need spades, not shovels.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
But we've already got shovels in spades :v:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Dagen H posted:

But we've already got shovels in twain

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, a "proper quality" spade to me is one with a forged head.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

It’s me I put a pipe on the end

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dunno. I only weigh 210, not particularly huge.

At least Fiskars will send me a new shovel.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Are you levering off of the end of the handle? No shovel can do that. Maybe take smaller bites?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Anyone ask Windows98 his advice?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Don't use a shovel to pry up a palm tree, I think I got it now.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

Nah, but a lot of problems that a shovel alone can't tackle can be solved by adding a bit of rope and leverage :science:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FogHelmut posted:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Nah, but a lot of problems that a shovel alone can't tackle can be solved by adding a bit of rope and leverage :science:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAgsjJaCjC0&t=63s

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Holy poo poo, why did they think that was a good idea?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
You need a spade if you're gonna dig a pit, David!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

I had some lovely bushes to remove and my neighbor lent me his Lance of Longinus, a 5lb splitting wedge welded to the end of 6 feet of 3/4" steel bar.

Slam that fucker down into a root and it goes through it like it's not there, and doesn't give a gently caress about levering your whole body off the ground prying stuff up.

A++ would lance again.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Nuevo posted:

I had some lovely bushes to remove and my neighbor lent me his Lance of Longinus, a 5lb splitting wedge welded to the end of 6 feet of 3/4" steel bar.

Slam that fucker down into a root and it goes through it like it's not there, and doesn't give a gently caress about levering your whole body off the ground prying stuff up.

A++ would lance again.

You know how sometimes you didn't know you needed a tool until you saw somebody else with one? Yeah.

:perfect:

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Nuevo posted:

A++ would lance again.

Gotta get me one of those root-killers.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nah, but a lot of problems that a shovel alone can't tackle can be solved by adding a bit of rope and leverage explosives :science:

Particularly applicable to palm snags.

Also, never cut into a palm snag. If you absolutely HAVE TO, stand upwind. Trust me on this one.

:barf:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

ausgezeichnet posted:

Gotta get me one of those root-killers.

You can pick up a post hole digging bar from home depot for like $50 which is basically the same thing. I've bent mine like once. It bends right back.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Brigdh posted:

You can pick up a post hole digging bar from home depot for like $50 which is basically the same thing. I've bent mine like once. It bends right back.

We called those "rock bars" when I was in high school, because you had to use one when you ran into a rock that your auger wouldn't pull out. The one I was using was made form a wagon axle, and was probably 50 years older than I was. I got pretty good at using it when dad and I refenced my great-uncle's property adjacent to ours.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Nuevo posted:

A++ would lance again.

I was once roped into helping tear down a pigeon coop. Dude whose property it was had acquired a slightly-larger-than-a-can-of-coke solid steel cylinder (coaxially) welded to the end of two metres of steel pipe. No one knew where it originated but it was clearly both much older and more experienced than any of us.

That fucker made short work of the demo. For wooden, nailed-together stuff it was a godsend.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Nuevo posted:

A++ would lance again.

Is this what it looked like? I haven't used it for anything yet but now I want to find things to apply it to.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

shy boy from chess club posted:

Is this what it looked like? I haven't used it for anything yet but now I want to find things to apply it to.

I'd call something like that the "destructo bar of DEATH".

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Darchangel posted:

We called those "rock bars" when I was in high school, because you had to use one when you ran into a rock that your auger wouldn't pull out. The one I was using was made form a wagon axle, and was probably 50 years older than I was. I got pretty good at using it when dad and I refenced my great-uncle's property adjacent to ours.

Cool, I just looked them up here and they're called fencing bars locally. Might come in handy for my brother as he wants to pull up a palm tree.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So when a halberd and a railroad spike fall in love with each other...

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

So when a halberd and a railroad spike fall in love with each other...

I got a hitch pin out of some piece of heavy equipment (like a grader or a bulldozer or something) that I always wanted a real handle on. It was a hardened steel cylinder the size of a 24-oz beer can with a 1" hole in one end for a crosspin. Just hand-held, I used it for flattening and hammering all manner of things. I decided to use it to drive a hatchet when splitting wood and it shattered the back end of the hatchet. I always wanted to make it into a 12-lb sledge and ruin delicates with it, like an engine block or something.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Herv posted:

This should do it for those fence posts.

tiddly little thing like that would be fine for occasional fencing work, but you really want to go bigger if your project is more than 2-3 spans.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

IPCRESS posted:

tiddly little thing like that would be fine for occasional fencing work, but you really want to go bigger if your project is more than 2-3 spans.

Agreed.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

What do you call a machine like that? I wanna read about it :allears:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A bucket-wheel excavator. Specifically, that's the Bagger 288.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lego makes one that might actually be the right scale for fence posts.

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Bucket-Wheel-Excavator-42055

Though I guess the design makes more of a trench than a hole. But if you dig the trench deep enough, then use another machine to fill in around the fence posts, it could work!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Warhammer 40k come to life.

This qualifies as a horrible mechanical failure

quote:

"When the original BORAX reactor was retired, the engineers decided to blow the control rods out of the core with compressed air just to see what would happen. It's not often you get the chance to do something like that. What happened was not so much an excursion as a fizzle."11:53 AM"Lichtenberger hit the EJECT CONTROLS button. KABOOM! Up she went with the force equivalent of 70 pounds of high explosive in the reactor vessel. A total energy release of 80 megajoules had been expected. They got 135 megajoules instead, and this inaccurate prediction instantly qualified the test as a nuclear accident. The little reactor that usually shed energy at the rate of 1 watt ramped up to 19 billion watts with a minimum period of 2.6 milliseconds. In all other tests of explosive steaming, the thing would send up a geyser of water droplets, sparkling in the western sun. This time the core melted instantly and homogenized into a vertical column of black smoke. A shock wave rippled through the floor of the control trailer.Walter Zinn, standing in the control trailer, shouted “Harold, you’d better put the rods back in!”“I don’t think it will do any good,” Lichtenberger shouted back. “There’s one flying through the air!”"

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 21, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Nuevo posted:

A++ would lance again.

My parents have one that my grandfather made. I think it started life as a truck axle. It's an inch and a half in diameter and five feet long, with one end ground to a point and a piece of half-inch plate the size of your palm weled to the other end.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I see your bagger and raise you The Captain.

Heaviest machine ever to move on land. Yes, that's a wheel loader underneath it.

Eat your heart out, Jawas.

Horrible mechanical failure is it burned in 1991.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 21, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Heaviest machine ever to move on land. Yes, that's a wheel loader underneath it.

Eat your heart out, Jawas.

Horrible mechanical failure is it burned in 1991.

Bagger 288 regularly moves and was moved 14 miles under it own power. Bager 293 is the Guiness World Record Holder at 14,200 tonnes

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Aww, reminds me of these guys:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Aww, wookit the cute little baby. As has been said, the Bagger 288 is heavier, and The Captain ain't even the biggest (may be heavier, but that just means you're inefficient next to a lighter machine with a third more bucket) single-bucket digger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcmGKsHZXZ8

Big Muskie, a dragline. 220--cubic-yard bucket, compared to The Captain's 180 yards. My cousin works at a coal mine, one of the lakes I fish is near a coal mine, I've seen slightly smaller examples in action.

To get back on topic, here's one of the slightly smaller ones having its cables replaced, and one of the cranes holding the boom up fails:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrn6ellbtpc