Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

All my plans have fallen apart.

Parenthood.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I had all sorts of IT studying goals for my paternity leave, but I've barely had time to check the forums much less learn anything. All my plans have fallen apart.

P-paternity leave???

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

As far as I know datapipe got bought out by Rackspace.

And you’d probably be starting closer to $45k but you’d learn more on this gig than a small MSP.

but in all honesty not all MSPs are that bad. At my old MSP My customers went from the local government or city of 150k plus to random companies that made whatever widgets with a few to several hundred employees.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Vargatron posted:

P-paternity leave???

We get 2 whole days :smug:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jaegerx posted:

plus remote so you can go live in Detroit and get extremely well paid.

Or anyone where else in Michigan so you don't have to live in Detroit

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

As far as I know datapipe got bought out by Rackspace.

And you’d probably be starting closer to $45k but you’d learn more on this gig than a small MSP.

Datapipe and GoGrid both got bought up by Rackspace if I recall correctly, but they don't have any remote opportunities at the moment that I'm aware of. They do have a few on-site Network Administrator positions open in Texas off the top of my head.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
We get 4 weeks.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I took 4 months off. I'm 7 weeks into it and haven't done a thing.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

i got.. not fired. My PTO was spent going to doctors and dealing with buying/selling a house, so my paternity leave is "congratulations you're just not getting paid for the week you were with your family in the hospital" and also "doesn't matter if you've put 10 days into the 'sick bank' its only there to request from for when YOU'RE sick so gently caress you"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Nerdrock posted:

i got.. not fired. My PTO was spent going to doctors and dealing with buying/selling a house, so my paternity leave is "congratulations you're just not getting paid for the week you were with your family in the hospital" and also "doesn't matter if you've put 10 days into the 'sick bank' its only there to request from for when YOU'RE sick so gently caress you"
That is not, in fact, what sick time is for. And if you are in some locales (California, Seattle), they are in fact legally required to let you use your sick time to care for a family member.

EDIT: I'm just assuming you're in America, because I can't imagine this happening in a civilized country.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I took 4 months off. I'm 7 weeks into it and haven't done a thing.

This improves past month 3.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Remote work is certainly not a bad idea, but my god is finding the right postings a nightmare. Maybe I'm just going about it all the wrong way.

Have also been entertaining the idea of jumping ship to another city. We'll see what I can find.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I will have finished with my IT Degree in December, and will have worked in this place for coming up on eight months by then. I low balled the crap outta myself so I could get a job immediately, due to loosing a grant and walking away from a job that I was fed up with. So I landed this cushy IT job where I pretty much look after a network that really doesn't need much except a tiny bit of attention here and there, and when I graduate I plan on asking for a pretty big raise and bennies, probably another 25% an hour, a week or so PTO, and Insurance. I am pretty much assuming I'm not gonna get that big of a bump and will probably walk away from this job.

So the question I had was does it matter how long I've held this post? By the time I ask for a raise I'll have been working here for eight months, will it look bad on my resume that I only worked a job for that long and peaced out? Will working x amount of months longer make my resume look better? I don't particularly mind working here, it's actually pretty cool sometimes and economically I'm alright, not great, but I'm not gonna starve and I'm decently comfortable so long as I don't have a tragic accident befall me.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 21, 2018

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

I will have finished with my IT Degree in December, and will have worked in this place for coming up on eight months by then. I low balled the crap outta myself so I could get a job immediately, due to loosing a grant and walking away from a job that I was fed up with. So I landed this cushy IT job where I pretty much look after a network that really doesn't need much except a tiny bit of attention here and there, and when I graduate I plan on asking for a pretty big raise and bennies, probably another 25% an hour, a week or so PTO, and Insurance. I am pretty much assuming I'm not gonna get that big of a bump and will probably walk away from this job.

So the question I had was does it matter how long I've held this post? By the time I ask for a raise I'll have been working here for eight months, will it look bad on my resume that I only worked a job for that long and peaced out? Will working x amount of months longer make my resume look better? I don't particularly mind working here, it's actually pretty cool sometimes and economically I'm alright, not great, but I'm not gonna starve and I'm decently comfortable so long as I don't have a tragic accident befall me.

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but getting a degree in IT doesn't automatically mean you get a huge raise at your job.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mattfl posted:

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but getting a degree in IT doesn't automatically mean you get a huge raise at your job.

True fact, but I can probably find something to put me into 35k/year with insurance in Atlanta. :shrug:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

True fact, but I can probably find something to put me into 35k/year with insurance in Atlanta. :shrug:

Depending on what youve accomplished in those 8 months along side your Bachelors you should be swinging for 60.

35 is call center help desk pay. If you’re in any sort of server or network toucher you are worth far far more.

And if you don’t get the raise then stick around until you get a proper job and deuce out.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 21, 2018

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

OH! If you're not even at 35k yet, then yeah, degree should help that. Sorry!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Remote work is certainly not a bad idea, but my god is finding the right postings a nightmare.

Finding a good IT job that doesn’t demand a DevOps AWS Azure Python Rockstar and still pays a living wage without being in subcontracting hell is nearly impossible.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mattfl posted:

OH! If you're not even at 35k yet, then yeah, degree should help that. Sorry!

No worries, I should have put the ball park of what I was making, which is close to 28k. My point was, the raise I'm gonna be asking for is gonna be considerable for me to stick around.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Depending on what youve accomplished in those 8 months along side your Bachelors you should be swinging for 60.

Ay mama, that's a spicy amount of dollars.

I haven't really done all that much, I think. I basically ran help desk for this company, printers, computers/software/network/server acting up, implemented a backup system with Azure, and did a bunch of compliance stuff so that my company's trade body doesn't yell at them.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 21, 2018

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

No worries, I should have put the ball park of what I was making, which is close to 28k. My point was, the raise I'm gonna be asking for is gonna be considerable for me to stick around.

I haven't really done all that much, I think. I basically ran help desk for this company, printers, computers/software/network/server acting up, implemented a backup system with Azure, and did a bunch of compliance stuff so that my company's trade body doesn't yell at them.

Lmao dude you are getting fuuuuuucked hard.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

George H.W. oval office posted:

Lmao dude that is poo poo I do and I make 78 and still feel underpaid. You are getting fuuuuuucked hard.

I do even less than that and make 85k, but I have to deal with doctors and nurses so I feel there's a trade-off there lol

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mattfl posted:

I do even less than that and make 85k, but I have to deal with doctors and nurses so I feel there's a trade-off there lol

Well, that's good to know I can get paid more for doing this cake job, just need to get my foot in the door somewhere else.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Most employers want to find someone who will stay around long term. The entry level job market is a little different though. Many entry level jobs are looking for 3 years of experience but it is not a strict requirement. Employers will not care about 8 months vs a year or longer if you have a reason. Like graduating and looking for full time, moving to a new city.

Look at what other companies in your area are looking for and what it takes to get there. Often that means implementing new things where you work now because there is no other way to get the experience. Also ask everyone you know if they know anyone who is hiring. Many jobs aren't even advertised and it is about who you know.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

Maybe you don't know anything. Maybe you're super-super junior, which seems likely from your posts in this thread (and I think the small business thread.) But good lord, 28k in a major city like Atlanta sounds low.

On Glassdoor.com, the lowest salary on the bar for "Helpdesk Technician," which is about as low of a title as I can think of these days, is 31k.
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/atlanta-helpdesk-technician-salary-SRCH_IL.0,7_IM52_KO8,27.htm

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

Well, that's good to know I can get paid more for doing this cake job, just need to get my foot in the door somewhere else.

That’s definitely the hard part. If you can play up all those responsibilities in that amount of time on your resume you shouldn’t have any trouble finding a new gig. Good luck!

If you haven’t already take a gander at the Negotiation thread in BFC for advice on even asking for a raise at your current job.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah $28k in ATL is super loving low. I couldn't imagine living off that, especially considering the $1500 a month studio apartments in places like Buckhead.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Defenestrategy posted:

I got hired in with no degree and only home lab experience as a server janitor for $58k, you're getting robbed dude.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How the hell are you finding server janitor jobs for $58k?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm basically a server janitor and I'm making around $75k. But I also email people to fix printers, so I'm extremely valuable to the company.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Yeah $28k in ATL is super loving low. I couldn't imagine living off that, especially considering the $1500 a month studio apartments in places like Buckhead.

lol, I don't live in Buckhead. I just have no problem living in the Barrio, and as such rent is super low.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Defenestrategy posted:

are you loving kidding me

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

How the hell are you finding server janitor jobs for $58k?

I work four 10s over the weekend, they apparently had to pay a premium to find people willing to work thurs-sun :shrug: . We're getting ready to open a posting for $60-80k, but it's Thurs-Sun overnights. I expect us to spend 3-5 months finding someone willing to work that shift.

e: Also, having to pay a premium to get people to come to Detroit.

xsf421 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 21, 2018

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Welp, I am hiring 3 sys admins to be my direct reports. I am also taking over all of devops. I was ambushed with this the first day coming back from long, PTO extended fathers day weekend. The CIO explained to me that CEO noticed my salary numbers and he told them he won't continue to pay someone that kind of money without them being part of the leadership team in some capacity.

Its now Director Sickening to all of you. I am no longer allowed to lock my office door. Sad loving times.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sickening posted:

Welp, I am hiring 3 sys admins to be my direct reports. I am also taking over all of devops. I was ambushed with this the first day coming back from long, PTO extended fathers day weekend. The CIO explained to me that CEO noticed my salary numbers and he told them he won't continue to pay someone that kind of money without them being part of the leadership team in some capacity.

Its now Director Sickening to all of you. I am no longer allowed to lock my office door. Sad loving times.

Now you can take that experience and go elsewhere!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

Sup reluctant Director buddy. :hfive:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

Able to hire as remote positions?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kashuno posted:

What? Is this not entry level crap?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

What? Is this not entry level crap?

Not generally, no. On anything relating to compliance, you generally want someone with experience so you don't make a mistake and get sued/fined into oblivion. Backups are a bit more common to give to junior sysadmins, but that's a step above helpdesk work. Backups are obviously important and you want to make sure they work properly, that you have your correct RTO/RPO, and in something like backing up to the cloud you want to make sure that you're not saturating your pipe and stepping on production traffic. That type of stuff is generally set up by someone with a bit more experience while a junior guy babysits it after that to make sure things keep working properly.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

Welcome to solo-IT for a small shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

Welcome to solo-IT for a small shop.

That's true, but you're generally not paying your solo-IT guy for a small shop 28k a year. And they generally have a little more experience. Otherwise you're basically playing roulette with your business. No offense, Defenestrategy.