Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I start Barista Trainer training on Thursday. Six extra hours this week and all I have to do is computer training :yotj:

Also some teenage boys got in a fight in front of our store and got blood on the patio area. Dudes wearing boat shoes and poo poo. Fratty boys. They left in their lifted trucks before the cops got there, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I noticed a flash drive with a note to give it to a detective. Asked the boss if he caught a shoplifter, his response: "No, they needed the camera cause some guy got shot in the parking lot across the street."

cool...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Crossposting from the comic strips thread.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
SM texted me asking if I could come in early today "any time is fine, even now"

11 hour shift that I won't get overtime for??? The majority of which will be spent on bar?? sign me the gently caress up!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You did say no, right?

You do know the SM is taking advantage of you because they know you don’t like to say no to people, right?

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Eric the Mauve posted:

You did say no, right?

You do know the SM is taking advantage of you because they know you don’t like to say no to people, right?

Oh I absolutely said no

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

:iia:

Now go sit in the corner for being Not A Team Player.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Sometimes I'll bargain with my managers if they want to call me in. I can't say, "I'll come in but I don't want to condition," because that's too blunt, so I'll say, "I can come in for a few hours, but I can't close out the shift."

I used to be willing to volunteer for work on off-days, you know. Pick up a shift. Earn some money. But then I'd come in to pick up an extra day, and the person doing the schedules would then put all my off days at the end of the next week.

My favorite work funtime was when I voluntarily came in to do some work, and was then scheduled a six day week right after, so I had something like twelve days in a row. I didn't volunteer again for about six months.

I would do it a lot more often if I got a little extra money or some kind of incentive for doing it. If I got to pick up eight extra hours at time and a half, I'd be pretty drat content to be there. 15 dollars an hour? Oh baby, it's almost like a real job.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 20, 2018

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Had to look for some baby colic water that came in a 3"x2"x1" box for a 1 hour store pickup. After looking everywhere on the floor and in the back, I was told to "Check the trailer." Can't be that bad, right?

26 full carts of random stuff

:v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Just light it on fire and walk away

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Sometimes I'll bargain with my managers if they want to call me in. I can't say, "I'll come in but I don't want to condition," because that's too blunt, so I'll say, "I can come in for a few hours, but I can't close out the shift."

I used to be willing to volunteer for work on off-days, you know. Pick up a shift. Earn some money. But then I'd come in to pick up an extra day, and the person doing the schedules would then put all my off days at the end of the next week.

My favorite work funtime was when I voluntarily came in to do some work, and was then scheduled a six day week right after, so I had something like twelve days in a row. I didn't volunteer again for about six months.

I would do it a lot more often if I got a little extra money or some kind of incentive for doing it. If I got to pick up eight extra hours at time and a half, I'd be pretty drat content to be there. 15 dollars an hour? Oh baby, it's almost like a real job.

I just flat out ask, "what time do you not have anyone on", and then um and ah and pretend I have to shuffle something else around it before I say yes.

My store is tiny though, most probably wouldn't be that lucky

Volmarias posted:

Just light it on fire and walk away

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

The Aardvark posted:

Had to look for some baby colic water that came in a 3"x2"x1" box for a 1 hour store pickup. After looking everywhere on the floor and in the back, I was told to "Check the trailer." Can't be that bad, right?

26 full carts of random stuff

:v:

Is... is that how your deliveries normally arrive? :ohdear:

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I was in a bad mood and it felt so good to tell a teenage girl in DT that no, I couldn't take her blue slushie and throw it away for her. Its a health code violation to take in trash from the outside (or something). Bet you feel dumb now, huh smurf mouth?

Just what does she think I am? Oh, right. Her slave

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Budgie posted:

Is... is that how your deliveries normally arrive? :ohdear:

No that's whatever leftover stuff the stocking team didn't finish.

Target still hasn't figured out how to deliver pallets so our trucks usually come with ~2400 boxes that have to each be manually removed and sorted.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 21, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

therobit posted:

Even the dumbest, shittiest managers understand that buying done donuts or pizza once in a while help morally and therefore productivity.

You are so loving wrong here I don't know where to start. Oh wait...

The bottom of the management barrel is waaaaaay further down than you have personally experienced.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

mllaneza posted:

You are so loving wrong here I don't know where to start. Oh wait...

The bottom of the management barrel is waaaaaay further down than you have personally experienced.

I mean, I imagine most people, nevermind just managers, know that being treated to food can increase morale. It's just that managers view it as a carrot on a stick for employees to work toward, rather than something to maybe make your employees like working with you.

e: Any time I've been asked to meet some sort of quota in retail, the offered reward has always been a pizza party. Sometimes even just a pizza party for the winning store, not every store that meets a quota. It's a reward for children being offered to working adults, and it's sort of insane.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 21, 2018

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
It is a really dumb approach. Offer food just to be nice amd boost morale, if you want to reward or incentivize a particular action of behavior money and paid time off are the way to do it. Unfortunately in order to understand that you need to view your employees as human so good luck getting retail managers to understand.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

SpacePig posted:

I mean, I imagine most people, nevermind just managers, know that being treated to food can increase morale.
As a retail peon you do not deserve morale, and in fact should be worshiping your corporate overlords and their chosen minions, the managers, for allowing you the honor of working for them.

You'd hope I'm joking but I bet 90% of the people in this thread have met at least one manager/shift lead who thinks and/or says these exact words daily.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Shift leads and ASMs have really lovely jobs, probably even shittier than most lowly peons, and make not that much more money (i.e., still not a living wage). The only benefits you get from moving "up" into those jobs are

1. guaranteed full time hours (good for paying bills but very bad for your general mood), and
2. opportunity to get off on being a petty tyrant to the peons.

That second thing isn't a meaningful benefit if you're not the kind of person who enjoys power tripping; therefore the kind of people who don't enjoy power tripping generally don't bother to become shift leads or ASMs; Q.E.D., most shift leads/ASMs are sociopaths who seek and take those positions specifically because they enjoy being petty tyrants. And then their overall quality of life plummets because they're spending more time than ever before at their lovely retail job, and soon their only pleasure in life is going out of their way to be a dick to the peons who work for them.

And of course store managers are drawn mostly from a pool of ASMs, and so the cycle continues.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

However did some of our data entry for item names was a childish genius I swear

CHARMS SUPER BLOW POP rear end

I can't stop giggling

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

SaberToothedPie posted:

Hi I'm an SM and just got told my the area VP, division VP, area head of HR, area head of LP are all coming to my store on 2 days notice and they're expecting a dog and pony show

how many kolaches and donuts do i have to buy to have all my employees work like methheads for the next 36 hours?

it's ok though, my DM is sending me 2 store managers for 5 hours each to help prepare, surely that will be enough to prepare for people who don't work in stores and have unrealistic expectations for store and stockroom conditions :stonklol:

i am getting very drunk tonight

update: i worked my butt off and then they didnt show up also it was supposed to be my off day

gently caress that

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I got a job offer doing consultation for setting up Clover POS systems because I managed to plug together clearly labeled cords and didn't lose my temper at the help desk grunt for being mostly useless.

Edit: why are vendors such complete idiots.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

SaberToothedPie posted:

update: i worked my butt off and then they didnt show up also it was supposed to be my off day

gently caress that

Thaaaaat's retail! *canned laughter*

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
our SM bought us a tray of chick-fil-a nuggets once

right as my shift ended :argh:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SaberToothedPie posted:

gently caress that

NerdyMcNerdNerd alt spotted?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
For those keeping track, this is the SECOND time I've been offered a consultancy gig by a vendor because they have no idea how the gently caress to implement their own systems.

Oh and I get to go in on a day off when we're closed to do the actual finalized install. I doubt I'm getting paid, so I'm making sure to bring tacos and it's gonna be a working party with irish coffee and little bitty scotch shooters.

It's going to be right before the 4th of July. I am expecting fireworks

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 22, 2018

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

MC Hawking posted:

For those keeping track, this is the SECOND time I've been offered a consultancy gig by a vendor because they have no idea how the gently caress to implement their own systems.

Oh and I get to go in on a day off when we're closed to do the actual finalized install. I doubt I'm getting paid, so I'm making sure to bring tacos and it's gonna be a working party with irish coffee and little bitty scotch shooters.

It's going to be right before the 4th of July. I am expecting fireworks. :getin:

Have you considered taking them up on their offer of employment?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I'm considering it, honestly. No idea what rates to charge. Considering how much time I spent on the phone getting Clover POS Support to give me good answers to basic questions and guiding people-who-don't-technology-good through extremely simple tasks I think somewhere in the range of $150/hr would be reasonable but then I'd be dealing with some extremely loving stupid people.

I'd be more inclined to work with this guy than the first job offer months back. This dude is actually reasonable for a credit card processor shark and doesn't seem to be in it just to gently caress people over. That being said my schedule is pretty packed right now and it's not like I can just take off from work to go do installs at random without some very pointed questions. Still would be worth checking it out.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 22, 2018

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.

MC Hawking posted:

It's going to be right before the 4th of July. I am expecting fireworks

DO NOT DO WORK YOU WILL NOT GET PAID FOR. Tell whoever is asking you to work unpaid, "gently caress you pay me."
EDIT: If they insist get it in writing they want you to work and not get paid. Thank take him to court.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MC Hawking posted:

it's not like I can just take off from work to go do installs at random without some very pointed questions. Still would be worth checking it out.

Work out a consultancy deal that would make you good money if you could do it full time, and that doesn't obligate you to do it full time. Make sure a day as a consultant is less annoying and more remunerative than what you're doing now.

Look your boss in they eye and tell them you'll be taking some days off to pursue this, unpaid if necessary, completely at your discretion and with less notice than they'd like, but enough to be reasonable. Call out when you get an emergency call for triple your usual rate.

Make more money and have whole days away from your idiot boss.

Line up enough work to be able to quit your day job.

Quit your day job. Savor the look on your ex-boss' face when you quote them a consulting rate more expensive than having you on payroll, benefits and payroll tax included.

Raise your consulting rates juuuuust enough to buy a boat out of petty cash.

Let us know what it's like in your pod.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Why do they keep rolling out these tedious, laborious, and downright nauseating sounding drinks

Sunrise/sunset drinks with pineapple infusion and a passion tea and nonfat milk cold foam??? I made the first one and it looked like pee with traces of blood in the foam

No ones gonna buy this poo poo

Edit: and its got lemonade in it! lemonade and dairy dont go together!! :barf:

Pentaghastly fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 22, 2018

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Pentaghastly posted:

Why do they keep rolling out these tedious, laborious, and downright nauseating sounding drinks

Sunrise/sunset drinks with pineapple infusion and a passion tea and nonfat milk cold foam??? I made the first one and it looked like pee with traces of blood in the foam

No ones gonna buy this poo poo

Yuck. The only blended drinks that should exist are milkshakes, fruit smoothies, and drinks with alcohol in them.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

hipsters.txt

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
So I missed most of the last two weeks due to pneumonia, which sucked. Upside, I have nearly 90 hours of PTO accrued, and my first day out I called my boss from my hospital bed to make sure I could use it. Sure, he says.

Came back Monday, complete with paperwork from my doc ok'ing it, and checked again: you covered my sick time with PTO, right? Bills don't care that I was hospitalized, y'know.

Of course, he says. Don't worry, he says.

Got paid today. Checked my bank account expecting enough to cover rent and first of month bills with a comfortable cushion, like normal...

Andy check was less than $200, because my boss missed the Monday cutoff for adding PTO! But don't worry, it'll be on my next check. Which I get on July 6th. After rent and ally start/end of month bills are due. Thanks boss. :downs:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
This coming week I have a weird schedule where instead of having 3 long shifts and 2 shorter ones, I just have 4 long shifts.

This is actually cool and good because I lose no hours at all, I gain a day off, and I'll have "extra" time every day. This might mean I have more time for surge, or more time to do backstock for my department ( or dairy ) after I complete my truck.

I'm a 100% sure it is a fluke or an error and it will never happen again, or there's some sort of catch that'll make it a miserable slog.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Kickshaw posted:

So I missed most of the last two weeks due to pneumonia, which sucked. Upside, I have nearly 90 hours of PTO accrued, and my first day out I called my boss from my hospital bed to make sure I could use it. Sure, he says.

Came back Monday, complete with paperwork from my doc ok'ing it, and checked again: you covered my sick time with PTO, right? Bills don't care that I was hospitalized, y'know.

Of course, he says. Don't worry, he says.

Got paid today. Checked my bank account expecting enough to cover rent and first of month bills with a comfortable cushion, like normal...

Andy check was less than $200, because my boss missed the Monday cutoff for adding PTO! But don't worry, it'll be on my next check. Which I get on July 6th. After rent and ally start/end of month bills are due. Thanks boss. :downs:

In a corporate environment I would be lighting up HR to get a check cut.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i cant ever seem to catch up with this thread but i just want to say i appreciate you all.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

baquerd posted:

NerdyMcNerdNerd alt spotted?

Nah I’m salary level so I’m obligated, not just a sucker

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if you are on salary you are a sucker.

i dont work for free.

e: i mean i suppose if its a baller salary fine..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

therobit posted:

In a corporate environment I would be lighting up HR to get a check cut.

For sure. My store's not put in vacation time for me on a few occasions before. When it finally mattered, I asked the assistant store manager and the store manager what they could do. They just stared at me and tried to say my pharmacy manager hadn't given them on time. So I called HR who said either manager needs to call HR and get an off-cycle check issued. It wasn't anything over complicated.