Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

chitoryu12 posted:

I was talking about Australia. You usually hear statements like "Australia banned almost all guns after Port Arthur and never had a mass shooting again!", but they had multiple mass shootings and still a ton of mass murders through methods like arson, stabbings, and beatings so their post-ban body count is still pretty bad.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. The USA does still have ~5 times the murder rate per capita of Australia though:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate#By_country

You might also find this article interesting:
https://vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/5/11/17345214/australia-mass-shooting-margaret-river-osmington

A tldr is that while Australia's gun ban has not eliminated gun crime and mass shootings, it seems to have helped reduce it a lot. Also, while Australia has a higher rate of violent crime per person than the US, it's much less lethal.

Not in that article, but while the arson murder rate has doubled in Australia in the last 20 years, it's still pretty rare at ~2% of homicides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Edit: Yeah, not derailing this further into gun murder chat.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 21, 2018

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Holy poo poo this is not the thread for murder rate chat, we're here to poo poo on idiots in dumb relationships with other idiots.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Ouhei posted:

I found it on Reddit, she works 2 days a week for her parents. She just graduated from HS (online) late because she had to drop out due to having the baby. Of course her relationship isn't great either she says.

In the comments someone said they looked at her history and she is apparently pregnant again. Talk about burying the lede.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Jesus, I'd be up all night sweating if I had a tenth of their debt. Those poor kids. They must also be hoarders if they can't cook at home.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Now those are some juicy finances. The combo of working 2 hours a day but still paying for human and horsey daycare and not having enough time to make the house food safe is stunning. What does this lady do all day?? They’re lucky they have rich and moronic friends and family willing to give them a total of $30k. What that and their credit card debt could have possibly been spent on is beyond me. Value Meals and Horse grease?

Ebola Roulette posted:

In the comments someone said they looked at her history and she is apparently pregnant again. Talk about burying the lede.

:aaaaa:

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm about 70 pages behind (and have been for awhile) but I'm shocked nobody brought up that Gina was on some low grade sexual assault/abuse/harassment when she walked into a common room completely naked with the intent of intimidating someone.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

And also lets not forget - let's not forget, dude, that keeping wildlife, um... an amphibious rodent, for... um, you know domestic... within the city... that ain't legal either.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LeafHouse posted:

Now those are some juicy finances. The combo of working 2 hours a day but still paying for human and horsey daycare and not having enough time to make the house food safe is stunning. What does this lady do all day?? They’re lucky they have rich and moronic friends and family willing to give them a total of $30k. What that and their credit card debt could have possibly been spent on is beyond me. Value Meals and Horse grease?

if the boyfriend isn't a drug dealer, he god damned well should be

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

blugu64 posted:

And by that she means that Southwest has only 737s. Next you’ll be telling us that she had big hair, loved Selena, or have a favorite chips and queso patio

Part-time nanny & sunglasses hut employee who believed she could "feel" herself "getting stronger" while she worked out if she smoked weed before the gym.

Told me she did juice diets to cleanse herself of "toxins." When I asked her what toxins she thought she was cleansing she blinked hard and said, "you know, TOXINS."

Look it was my first and only red-head.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Why have gun derail when we can have gender derail?

My [26 F] boyfriend [32 M] complimened me by comparing me to my female friends, in a way that was insulting to them. I didn't take it as a compliment.

quote:

I have been dating Tom for 4 months now. We see each other a few times a week after work, and we just had the "relationship talk" a few weeks ago.

I've known my 3 closest friends for years, we met in college. Julia's a self described makeup addict, she's doing market research for a high end cosmetics company. Megan is a writer, and is currently writing the script for a documentary. Tina is currently studying at a great nursing school. They're all really smart motivated people.

Tom met my friends, and a whole bunch more of my social circle, at a party recently. We both had a lot to drink, and at the end of the night, we decided to walk back to my place.

On the walk, Tom was complimenting me, telling me how cool it was that I'm an engineer, how impressive my double major in math and mechanical engineering is, and how what I'm doing is unusual for a girl.

Then he continued on to say how he liked that I wasn't into girly stuff like "makeup, or artsy poo poo" and how I had the coolest interests out of anyone at that party. He said so many women go into easy fields, and he was impressed by my drive.

He didn't call out my friends by name, but I could tell he was comparing me to them.

That whole time he was talking, I was thinking about my friends. They're in careers or fields of study that are more female dominated, but that doesn't make them any less cool.

I didn't feel complimented, I hated how Tom was trying to tear down my friends to compliment me. So I told him that he better not have any less respect for my friends than he does for me.

He started backpedaling, saying he just thought I was special, but I had a weird taste in my mouth from that conversation. I ended up not inviting Tom in that night.

I don't know if it's a red flag, that Tom chose that way to compliment me. It felt so sleazy.

TLDR - My boyfriend complimented me, but his compliments seemed to compare me to my friends in a way that insulted them.

Men and women both do this, and you'd think it would stop once you got out of your teens, maybe early 20s. The guy is 32 for gently caress's sake.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

maybe they're annoying

I mean, one of them is a nurse

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Tom is probably a software “engineer”

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Whorelord posted:

I have no idea what the Tri state area is but it sounds boring.

lol, oh you do :allears:

quote:

I mean, that's more than the percentage of Jews in America but you can't argue that they haven't had a big influence on American culture?

And you adorably think that even if this is true to some mattering extent, that it gives random extremely online Trainspotting extras the grounds to lecture Americans on Italian food.
Because Italians? in America? That's a thing?? I never heard of it out here in Bumpkin upon Clydesforth.

quote:

Anyway they own a lot of italian restaurants or make biting political satire before making an inferior American version or they become Doctor Who.

If only America could imagine such massive Italian cultural impact as food, jokes, and a actor.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

zakharov posted:

From personal finance

https://twitter.com/JucheMane/status/1009840350029078529?s=19

Someone just post the dril tweet

Jesus, $1000 a month eating out because they don't want to clean or cook...that's more than my rent, renter's insurance, water and electric combined for a month :stare:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Jesus, $1000 a month eating out because they don't want to clean or cook...that's more than my rent, renter's insurance, water and electric combined for a month :stare:

What in the Hell are they even eating?!

Just to see how much eating nothing but trash food could add up, I looked up price for Hot Pockets. A 12-pack is $9.98. If they were absolutely in dire financial straits, which they certainly are, eating three a day each, (Hell even if they were eating six a day each) would be $150 a month($300 if they could crush a 12-pack in a day).

Even if you’re blowing $25 a day on ordering pizza it doesn’t add up to that.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 21, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the thought of someone living on three Hot Pockets a day is a whole different kind of disquieting but I think it's safe to assume the people acting like the dirty dishes piled up in the kitchen are some kind of divine punishment they have nothing to do with and no power to do anything about aren't budgeting their expenses in any way

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

LadyPictureShow posted:

Just to see how much eating nothing but trash food could add up, I looked up price for Hot Pockets. A 12-pack is $9.98. If they were absolutely in dire financial straits, which they certainly are, eating three a day each, (Hell even if they were eating six a day each) would be $150 a month($300 if they could crush a 12-pack in a day).

Having dinner at a restaurant for two people even at a counter service place will usually tally $30 out the door, if they do that every night that's probably in the right ballpark

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

My beloved yet dumb 18 (now 19) year old child has demonstrated to me that one person can spend $900 in a month on food if you pay uber eats or door dash to bring you slightly pricy fast casual like chipotle or nicer burger joint stuff every single day. She paid $32 for a burger and fries and a shake because of the delivery and service fees at one point.

At least she has the excuse of being a teen living on her own for the first time and getting her first financial aid refund. And even she only did that once before figuring out she hosed herself. What the gently caress do those people have to defend themselves with?

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

Mocking Bird posted:

My beloved yet dumb 18 (now 19) year old child has demonstrated to me that one person can spend $900 in a month on food if you pay uber eats or door dash to bring you slightly pricy fast casual like chipotle or nicer burger joint stuff every single day. She paid $32 for a burger and fries and a shake because of the delivery and service fees at one point.

It does get pretty ridiculous. I made fun of my girlfriend for spending $23 on Subway from Skip the Dishes because she was hungover.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I [31 M] have just gotten a tattoo of Taylor Swift, and my girlfriend [24 F] is upset about it

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Grape posted:

lol, oh you do :allears:

I didn't. I thought it was a made up place where toy story was set.

quote:

And you adorably think that even if this is true to some mattering extent, that it gives random extremely online Trainspotting extras the grounds to lecture Americans on Italian food.
Because Italians? in America? That's a thing?? I never heard of it out here in Bumpkin upon Clydesforth.

I mean yeah it does when you're getting so incredibly mad about someone laughing at the apparently mediocre Italian food you have in America.

quote:

If only America could imagine such massive Italian cultural impact as food, jokes, and a actor.

I mean The Godfather might've gotten Sicily some tourist money but a lot of them seem to want to get away from being associated with the Mafia.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I just can't imagine $546/mo IN INTEREST That's 1.5X her monthly salary! Can you imagine that in real people money?!?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

They're paying 3x her salary in takeout because they won't clean a loving kitchen!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i just noticed the third credit card with a mere $285 on it so far - this is definitely how they are affording their expenses and it too will bloat and fester

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I think it's their naivete that really does it for me. Friends and family bailing them out to the tune of thousands and not cooking food because their apartment (which they pay 1k per month for) is a "nightmare." They truly have no clue (yet) how devastating consumer debt like that will be to their lives. Thinking about the sacrifices I had to make just to get a handle on 8k of credit card debt, if I was looking at 25k or whatever on cards that haven't been paid off for years and an ever increasing ~600 dollar monthly interest payment I'd probably just end it all or at least flee the country

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's basically like an average student loan debt load they could actually get out of by declaring bankruptcy, except that they're too stupid to live

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
oh my god it just hit me

that motherfucker runs a vape shop

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's basically like an average student loan debt load they could actually get out of by declaring bankruptcy, except that they're too stupid to live

I'm pretty sure most of the debt went to paying for custom in ear speakers that just repeats the word "breathe" over and over again.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mocking Bird posted:

At least she has the excuse of being a teen living on her own for the first time and getting her first financial aid refund. And even she only did that once before figuring out she hosed herself. What the gently caress do those people have to defend themselves with?

Yeah, that’s what I mean. Those services can add more than $10 to the actual order, depending on service & delivery fees.

This couple is in crippling debt. Even if their kitchen is a smoking crater, there’s always bread and peanut butter, and you don’t need to cook fruit and a fair amount of veggies.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yeah, that’s what I mean. Those services can add more than $10 to the actual order, depending on service & delivery fees.

This couple is in crippling debt. Even if their kitchen is a smoking crater, there’s always bread and peanut butter, and you don’t need to cook fruit and a fair amount of veggies.

Yeah but like what if the kitchen being a mess is a great excuse to not do anything with it and just eat at restaurants and let the debt pile up while you post on reddit for advice about debt that isn't yours yet and seems less appealing the higher it goes

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a ton of baby boomers who never taught their kids to cook and they live on restaurants, delivery, or pre-packaged foods. Cooking is hard and confusing and they don't even want to try.
There's also the market for those over-priced services that deliver ingredients to your door to make specific balanced meals along with simple instructions on how to put it together. People love it because it "takes the stress out of shopping and cooking". Like, there's whole swaths of young adults that just don't know how to grocery shop or cook. They'll go out and spend $100 at the grocery store and half of it will go bad because they don't know what to meal plan or what dishes to make. Instead of spending maybe a month watching some cooking youtubes and learning some basic recipies and getting a good grocery shopping habit down, they'll pay $10 a meal to have a quarter chicken breast, mashed potato, and sauce packet delivered to their house along with cooking instructions (ie warming instructions). This is a huge upgrade for them because it beats paying $15-20 a meal eating out or getting delivery and the website says it's healthy food too!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

There's a ton of baby boomers who never taught their kids to cook and they live on restaurants, delivery, or pre-packaged foods. Cooking is hard and confusing and they don't even want to try.
There's also the market for those over-priced services that deliver ingredients to your door to make specific balanced meals along with simple instructions on how to put it together. People love it because it "takes the stress out of shopping and cooking". Like, there's whole swaths of young adults that just don't know how to grocery shop or cook. They'll go out and spend $100 at the grocery store and half of it will go bad because they don't know what to meal plan or what dishes to make. Instead of spending maybe a month watching some cooking youtubes and learning some basic recipies and getting a good grocery shopping habit down, they'll pay $10 a meal to have a quarter chicken breast, mashed potato, and sauce packet delivered to their house along with cooking instructions (ie warming instructions). This is a huge upgrade for them because it beats paying $15-20 a meal eating out or getting delivery and the website says it's healthy food too!

yeah there's an appalling number of people out there who somehow make it through their whole lives just shutting down any time they have to handle... literally any aspect of self-maintenance or being an adult themselves. Most of them are in better shape than this couple but man. It's a feeling having a 40-year-old man react like you're some kind of mad scientist genius for replacing a bad outlet.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
She only says the kitchen is "a nightmare," does she ever expand on that? It could just be a mess, but like, at that level of dysfunctional, the appliances could be broken or missing or, hell, the floor could be caving in.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Anne Whateley posted:

She only says the kitchen is "a nightmare," does she ever expand on that? It could just be a mess, but like, at that level of dysfunctional, the appliances could be broken or missing or, hell, the floor could be caving in.

Yeah the phrasing implies that scenario but what kind of housing situation is both long term livable (they rent so it can't be that unacceptable) and also not fixable with a $50 hotplate or a $60 microwave. Or if you want to get super ultra fancy with it, a microwave / convection oven for the counter at like $300. It reads exactly like one of those "Oh well one of the burners doesn't work and the floor was being remodeled and at least a dozen pans were in the sink so for the last 6 months nobody has cooked anything"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

for a good couple years the outside wall of my family kitchen was a tarp and we cooked delicious meals in it every single day. A functional person could make do perfectly adequately (if inefficiently) with a fuckin camp stove if the real one's rusted through, but these aren't functional people.

10:1 she means it's completely fine but full of mountains of dirty dishes and takeout containers cause they just toss stuff there and never, ever clean it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You could bootstrap your way to a peanut butter sandwich regardless of kitchen condition, I am just interested in learning more about their living conditions because they sound like the kind of people who would be renting a falling-down trailer.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah but like what if the kitchen being a mess is a great excuse to not do anything with it and just eat at restaurants and let the debt pile up while you post on reddit for advice about debt that isn't yours yet and seems less appealing the higher it goes

‘This debt piling up is so depressing...’
‘I know what’ll cheer you up... dinner at Applebee’s!’

I’m guessing the comments are drowning in ‘holy poo poo, buy ready-to-eat stuff’

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Falling-down trailers don't usually cost $950/mo but hey maybe they're in the Bay area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Whorelord posted:

I didn't. I thought it was a made up place where toy story was set.

That's the Tri-County Area. Tri-State Area is Phineas and Ferb.