Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

evilweasel posted:

no he legit does not get it. he keeps throwing a fit on twitter about the proposal to double the number of IJs (which would allow him to deport people faster) not realizing it's something his own administration keeps pushing for.

Exactly. Trump could pretty much just say "hey jeff hire 200 more IJs" and he can do it (minus potential budgetary issues) because they're not real judges. The caveat to that, is if you take one of those ALJ spots and don't deport as many people as fast as the keebler klansman commands he can yank your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Discendo Vox posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1009608105804656640

I swear one of you (and I don't think it was AR, despite her av) was a JAG and could shed light on how the heck this'd work.

No. You are correct. I was in fact a JAG. There is some precedent for JAGs becoming SAUSAs. But generally it’s to prosecute poo poo that happens on bases that aren’t covered by the UCMJ. (Civilian defendant for example.) I honestly have no idea how/why you’d use a JAG for immigration.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Pook Good Mook posted:

Got an offer for the prosecutor job. Pretty pumped.

Hail Satan.

Joinnnnnnn ussssssss....

Seriously though. You’ll probably find the work really fulfilling. If your office is like mine you’ll get along well with the PDs and most of the private defense firms and most of your cases will deal out if you are reasonable and not a douche. Best advice I can offer is learn early on which cases are people who are dumb but probably rehabilitation candidates and put them in programs if you can. And accept that the ones who are truly evil will sometimes get away with it and it has nothing to do with you or your ability as a lawyer. Your job is to be fair, put all the admissible evidence in. Present it clearly. And then it’s out of your hands.

Oh. And accept that some people will be complete assholes because apparently wanting murderers off the streets makes you a fascist.

If you ever need advice or have questions you’d feel dumb asking your boss, feel free to hit me up.

Welcome to the dark side.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ActusRhesus posted:

No. You are correct. I was in fact a JAG. There is some precedent for JAGs becoming SAUSAs. But generally it’s to prosecute poo poo that happens on bases that aren’t covered by the UCMJ. (Civilian defendant for example.) I honestly have no idea how/why you’d use a JAG for immigration.

Because they can't get attorneys willing to go work for them, and they're busy trying to prosecute thousands of people as harshly as possible for misdemeanors.

Did you guys see that a shitload of SEC decisions are probably getting flipped in the near future because SEC ALJs are "officers of the US" and none were appointed by the right people as a result? Also stock options are no longer monetary compensation!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Because they can't get attorneys willing to go work for them, and they're busy trying to prosecute thousands of people as harshly as possible for misdemeanors.

Did you guys see that a shitload of SEC decisions are probably getting flipped in the near future because SEC ALJs are "officers of the US" and none were appointed by the right people as a result? Also stock options are no longer monetary compensation!

Oh I get *why* they want to. I just don’t get how, procedurally, they would do it. Granted. It’s not a topic I’ve really delved into. But it seems a big leap from the way JAGs have served as SAUSAs in the past. I am trying to avoid weighing in on the immigration question in general because I spent three years trying (unsuccessfully) to get SIV visas for people I worked with in Iraq and it’s admittedly a huge open wound for me. I recognize I can’t be objective or rational about the topic of immigration/asylum. However. This procedural question... yeah. Shaking my head. I have no idea how you’d do that legally. There are specific regs in place that get us out of “practicing law without a license” Bc we aren’t licensed in that state. And yeah. This is federal practice which is a little less strict. But still... this is not a DoD issue. A homeland security issue maybe. Really state department/Usao/ag problem. But again... not DoD. So I’m just very confused as to what authority they’re relying on other than “because I said so” which... I don’t think cuts it.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Can't wait to be arrested by MPs for wearing an "abolish ICE" shirt.

Maybe my prison job will be prosecuting refugees for unauthorized entry.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 13, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
If the judges rubber stamp you it's not like you actually need to know the subject matter. Plus I don't think toddlers are very eloqurnt when defending themselves

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

If the judges rubber stamp you it's not like you actually need to know the subject matter. Plus I don't think toddlers are very eloqurnt when defending themselves

a judge can't rubber stamp you if you don't even know the right forms to give them and a note where on the form the stamp goes

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

evilweasel posted:

a judge can't rubber stamp you if you don't even know the right forms to give them and a note where on the form the stamp goes

That's what paralegals are for , get those forms organized and the lawyers job is to hand them silently to the judge

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

It will probably look an awful lot like the JAGs in CCCI and OMC. I’m pretty much a prosecutorial honey badger but even I had some major concerns about those forums. OMC especially. Sadly a lot of JAGs (especially navy “criminal justice career track” types) are being trained to have too much of a “win at all costs, adversary = enemy” mind set. One of the (many) reasons I got out. Loved the Navy. Hated the JAG Corps leadership.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, ok, AR confirmed my exact confusion with the subject. No clue how they get from A to B on the scope and nature of practice. And that's setting aside training and familiarity with the subject matter...

Legally, section (d)

Jurisdictionally, fed circuit bar admission is trivial if you're already admitted to a state bar.

Practically, with a half week of handover from the withered husk of an AUSA

E: I'll bet $20 there's a script for prosecutors to do these hearings. If there isn't, I'll bet $1000 there will be one within a week.
JAs/JAGs are used to really quickly picking stuff up and running with it. Deep knowledge and experience, not so much. Some of these cases are literally fighting babies, and the logistics, procedure, law and lack of oversight favors the prosecution at every step.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 21, 2018

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

joat mon posted:

Legally, section (d)

Jurisdictionally, fed circuit bar admission is trivial if you're already admitted to a state bar.

Practically, with a half week of handover from the withered husk of an AU

Read it. I still don’t think it gets you there. Especially since it still left promulgating authority to the DoD. I could be wrong. But this really seems a stretch of that statute. Possibly also a posse commitatus issue? I dunno. It feels really off.

Although suddenly those long awaited (paid) vacancies at the USAO have opened up. I had wondered about that.... and the cryptic description of the job duties. no thanks. I’m good here with the state.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 21, 2018

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Sounds like this lets them to go from the military
An officer to whom this subsection applies [AD, retired in AD, reserve on AD] may hold or exercise the functions of a civil office in the Government of the United States that is not described in subparagraph (A) [elective, requires advise and consent, SES] when assigned or detailed to that office or to perform those functions.

and this lets them go into DoJ
The Attorney General may appoint attorneys to assist United States attorneys when the public interest so requires

Unless these constitute an express authorization, SAUSAs have been violating the Posse Comitatus Act since at least the 1940s.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Nice! posted:

Did you guys see that a shitload of SEC decisions are probably getting flipped in the near future because SEC ALJs are "officers of the US" and none were appointed by the right people as a result?

Just to get this in this thread as well:

quote:

This Court has also held that the “appropriate” remedy for an adjudication tainted with an appointments violation is a new “hearing before a properly appointed” official.

And they've properly appointed the ALJ in question, so it can't be that tough (inferior officer).

quote:

The Securities and Exchange Commission has now itself appointed the Administrative Law Judge in question, and I see no reason why he could not rehear the case.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also stock options are no longer monetary compensation!

Only for Railroad Retirement purposes.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Ehhhhhhhhhh.... I guess? It still feels really off to me. One thing letting JAGs prosecute cases that happen on military installations but aren’t covered by UCMJ authority. This really seems to be an overreach.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhh.... I guess? It still feels really off to me. One thing letting JAGs prosecute cases that happen on military installations but aren’t covered by UCMJ authority. This really seems to be an overreach.

When they amended section 973 (the from the military one) in the mid 80s to allow SAUSAs, they probably didn't see this as one of the consequences, perhaps relying on the military to take care of its own.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Poor special master...nose to the grindstone pulling 15-17 hour days doing doc review...

At least she can bill $700/hr though otherwise can you imagine?

https://twitter.com/big_cases/status/1009862477943894016

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Big day for the special master, May 6 was

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Chartered flight over the international date line, $8,300.00

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

24.5 hours!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

We should all pound out $350,000 months

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Finally a break for the little guys at Bracewell!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

joat mon posted:

When they amended section 973 (the from the military one) in the mid 80s to allow SAUSAs, they probably didn't see this as one of the consequences, perhaps relying on the military to take care of its own.

And once upon a time we had officers who would say “hahahahahahaha. gently caress off. Not sending my guys. This is dumb and it’s my discretion.” Current jag leaders (who would be the ones with the ability to send someone on temporary order iirc) are all politician yes men and have been for quite some time. I’m kind of surprised Mattis is ok with it but it could be one of two things (I hope. I like Mattis) 1) it’s considered an operational issue that is not within the purview of civilian leadership or 2) “gently caress it. I don’t care what the lawyers do.”

In any event. Legally sound or not can we agree it’s poo poo?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Though the fact we can cough up billets so easily makes a compelling case for downsizing the Miljus types who were pretty much useless in my experience. They used to whine at me when I was an SJA because I almost always recommended administrative separation over court-martial. “The junior JAGs need courtroom experience!” Sounds like a big pile of “not my problem.”

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I assume that some of that time entry isn't her but it is odd that the other partner or associate bills at exactly the same rate.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I assume that some of that time entry isn't her but it is odd that the other partner or associate bills at exactly the same rate.

Not necessarily. During my personal vision of hell that was biglaw, most of our associates billed the same rate. Guess it depends who the other lawyer was.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

It says “me and my firm,” so obviously it’s more than one lawyer. But the special master obviously bills at $700 an hour, and you would think that the minions doing the grunt work document review would not bill at the same rate as the senior partner special master. You would think that.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Nice work if you can get it, and get the government and a corrupt millionaire to pay for it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

Concentration camps probably generate a lot of paperwork, or something.

NARA is approving deletion of those records.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Poor special master...nose to the grindstone pulling 15-17 hour days doing doc review...

At least she can bill $700/hr though otherwise can you imagine?

https://twitter.com/big_cases/status/1009862477943894016

Haha, this account is good poo poo.
https://twitter.com/big_cases/status/1009773905555476482

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It says “me and my firm,” so obviously it’s more than one lawyer. But the special master obviously bills at $700 an hour, and you would think that the minions doing the grunt work document review would not bill at the same rate as the senior partner special master. You would think that.

It's probably a blended rate arrangement.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It could be an averaged rate.

E: beat to it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Kalman posted:

It's probably a blended rate arrangement.

Yeah hadn’t thought of that.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

And once upon a time we had officers who would say “hahahahahahaha. gently caress off. Not sending my guys. This is dumb and it’s my discretion.” Current jag leaders (who would be the ones with the ability to send someone on temporary order iirc) are all politician yes men and have been for quite some time. I’m kind of surprised Mattis is ok with it but it could be one of two things (I hope. I like Mattis) 1) it’s considered an operational issue that is not within the purview of civilian leadership or 2) “gently caress it. I don’t care what the lawyers do.”

In any event. Legally sound or not can we agree it’s poo poo?

Total poo poo. Probably won't even get a participation NAM for doing it because no CO wants his/her name on an award for being a trumpist bully-boy.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

How long do you have to grind it out in Biglaw before you get the title Senior Partner Special Master

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Recommending The Magicians trilogy by Lev Grossman for a good fantasy read.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Abugadu posted:

Recommending The Magicians trilogy by Lev Grossman for a good fantasy read.

The TV show got really good this last season. Plus it doesn't hurt the cast is insanely attractive across the board

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

ActusRhesus posted:

Oh. And accept that some people will be complete assholes because apparently wanting murderers off the streets makes you a fascist.

:allears:

It's cute that you think "putting murderers away" is why people call prosecutors "fascists"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Pook Good Mook posted:

In conclusion, Japan is a land of contrasts.

Furthermore, I am of the opinion Carthage must be destroyed.