Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

boop the snoot posted:

You’re guilty by association.

I automatically someone who spends 20+ in the military will try to apply that poo poo lifestyle to a civilian workplace. Maybe I’m wrong but if my experience with retirees has taught me anything....

I'm deprogramming myself here at my last duty station.

Which is pretty easy because I work for an AF general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I work with a lot of higher ranking medical and SF types that have since retired (LTC/COL mostly with a few CPT/MAJ). They're all mostly chill dudes. You get a few military-isms that never really go away but they're generally a pleasure to work with. The problem children are mostly the CPT/MAJs with like, 8-10 years or so in before the left the service. Maybe they're just bitter, or maybe they're just pricks and I'm a lucky winner to have them in my office.

Either that or they're control freaks that simply cannot get past the idea that certain people are hired to do a specific thing, and they're masters of that domain, and are not to be tasked with doing anything else but that. No, GS14 goober, my epidemiologists are not going to take loving meeting minutes for you. We're here to help, we're not THE help.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Army was still the best job I ever had. Regardless of the bullshit that happened. That's for real. I worked bullshit dead end jobs and would still be in that dead end loving town wondering why my life sucks so goddamn bad.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you can't find anything on clearancejobs.gov or whatever, I'll give you a heads up if a training job opens up here. I'll ask the site manager if there's an opening for a prior S4, or you can apply in a week or month for a few dozen job openings once the govt finally pulls it's head out of its rear end and figures out who won the new contract.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Look, if you grow up poor and live in an area like West Virginia that doesn’t have many opportunities, especially in more modern industries, military service ain’t a bad idea.

What you do with it, well...

Goofus did 2 tours, got fat, couldn’t go to school, got QMPed, and now bitches daily about the KMart he works at.

Gallant did almost thirty years and got medically retired. He’s still in great shape, tends his crops and cattle, makes more retired than he did working, and has no regrets.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Retardog posted:

Look, if you grow up poor and live in an area like West Virginia that doesn’t have many opportunities, especially in more modern industries, military service ain’t a bad idea.

Goofus did 2 tours, got fat, couldn’t go to school, got QMPed, and now bitches daily about the KMart he works at.

Gallant did almost thirty years and got medically retired. He’s still in great shape, tends his crops and cattle, makes more retired than he did working, and has no regrets.

Username/post combo

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
so where do the timbertoes fit into this?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Retardog posted:

Uhhh....

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

He developed type 1 beetus, and his A1C levels were too high. So other than having to be more mindful of what he eats, and dealing with an insulin pump he’s still able to move and work out like a normal person

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 21, 2018

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Retardog posted:

He developed type 1 beetus, and his A1C levels were too high

Okay, so you're talking about the extreme outlier situation instead of a situation that anybody else will recognize as reality.

In that case, let me tell you about the person who won the lottery and then lived a full life of wealth because they didn't piss it all away and instead used responsible financial planning.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

McNally posted:

Okay, so you're talking about the extreme outlier situation instead of a situation that anybody else will recognize as reality.

In that case, let me tell you about the person who won the lottery and then lived a full life of wealth because they didn't piss it all away and instead used responsible financial planning.

I bought my momma a car. Spent the rest on PCP.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Vahakyla posted:

Living in Italy in amazing house with poo poo ton of pay, lots of time off, with awesome unit. Racing motorcycles with the wife on alpine roads with all the loving time off we get all the time.

Hmmm sure is hell this Army life.

Wait until you PCS to Fort Polk.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

DoktorLoken posted:

Wait until you PCS to Fort Jackson

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

DoktorLoken posted:

Wait until you PCS to Fort Polk.

Nah he is gonna just decide to never PCS cause he’s probably ignorant enough to think that’s how it works.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

But really, I'd wager most of this thread at some point thought they were going to do 20. Then they didn't. Make a plan to get out.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Army medicine worked out in my favor for once. My surgeon had an opening Monday, so I'm getting my leg surgery done. Then 30 days of convalescent leave that would end 5 days before my ETS date, that is if I weren't going to sign out on ETS leave before it runs out. So tomorrow is my last day of working for the army :toot:

Edit: I'm waiting to wake up and be missing a leg, and my balls because it is still army medicine after all.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DoktorLoken posted:

Wait until you PCS to Fort Knox.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

DoktorLoken posted:

Wait until you PCS

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

DoktorLoken posted:

But really, I'd wager most of this thread at some point thought they were going to do 20. Then they didn't. Make a plan to get out.

Never a day. Do my initial contract and get the gently caress out for that sweet GI Bill was my plan from the jump.

Then we invaded Iraq 4 months before I shipped for basic.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I was never strongly one way or the other until I deployed to Afghanistan. That whole deployment convinced me to get out.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Best part about the Army is that you yourself don't even have to move for things to turn to poo poo. That cool squad leader? Yeah, he got orders for the trail. Your buddy? Yeah, they needed to fill a spot in BDE so he's going. Your rad XO? He got transferred to staff because they need a deputy assistant S2 for maps.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

A Bad Poster posted:

Army medicine worked out in my favor for once. My surgeon had an opening Monday, so I'm getting my leg surgery done. Then 30 days of convalescent leave that would end 5 days before my ETS date, that is if I weren't going to sign out on ETS leave before it runs out. So tomorrow is my last day of working for the army :toot:

Edit: I'm waiting to wake up and be missing a leg, and my balls because it is still army medicine after all.

I did this. Had surgery, got a month of con leave, came back for a month (half-day afternoon shift work for the first two weeks, clearing for the last two weeks) and sign out. It was glorious.

Congrats and I hope you don't wake up with a green weenie inside your chest cavity.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Carteret posted:

Never a day. Do my initial contract and get the gently caress out for that sweet GI Bill was my plan from the jump.

Then we invaded Iraq 4 months before I shipped for basic.

Iraq invaded Kuwait 5 days before before I went to basic.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

We invaded Iraq the second to last week I was in basic

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I forgot we were in Iraq and Afghanistan during the goddamn surge. Major was giving us the "so brave to sign up during war" speech and I looked over at the guy next to me and said "what? War?" And he just thought I was the dumbest person ever. Video games. WoW. Didn't pay attention to the news.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vasudus posted:

Best part about the Army is that you yourself don't even have to move for things to turn to poo poo. That cool squad leader? Yeah, he got orders for the trail. Your buddy? Yeah, they needed to fill a spot in BDE so he's going. Your rad XO? He got transferred to staff because they need a deputy assistant S2 for maps.

I go to the dumb officer conferences because that's the only way I get to see my old buddies anymore.

Soulex posted:

I forgot we were in Iraq and Afghanistan during the goddamn surge. Major was giving us the "so brave to sign up during war" speech and I looked over at the guy next to me and said "what? War?" And he just thought I was the dumbest person ever. Video games. WoW. Didn't pay attention to the news.

That was me. I was the dumb major giving that speech to you.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

That was me. I was the dumb major giving that speech to you.

How many times did you behoove yourself and caveat off of that

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

caveat off this dick bitch

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

boop the snoot posted:

I'm going to do that to some poor Soldiers tomorrow just because you said that. :colbert:

I'm just kidding. I'm leaving early from my two hour lunch to take my kids to see the new dinosaur movie.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Carteret posted:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

lol

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

You’re guilty by association.

I automatically someone who spends 20+ in the military will try to apply that poo poo lifestyle to a civilian workplace. Maybe I’m wrong but if my experience with retirees has taught me anything....

As a hiring manager I’ve found military retirees on the whole have a good work ethic, but no practical or leadership skills that translate into the real world, mix this with the “Well when I was in the army we did unrelated bullshit that wouldn’t help out at all in this particular situation AT 5AM blah blah blah” *jacking off motion*.

All of this poo poo adds up to me generally just hiring college kids for much cheaper who are eager to learn and don’t try to relate to me how flying a refueling boom totally relates to configuring a SCCM server hoooah.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Civilians I know hiring 20+ year plus vets have had mixed experiences, like so many hires.

Retired 1SG who insists on still acting like one: bad. Retired SSG bitter as hell he never made SFC: bad. Retired O-5 who is too busy trying to gently caress with junior people because he used to be an O-5: bad.

Retired chief of staff who knows how to schedule meetings and track every deadline for every project very well: awesome.

Retired O-6 who said outright that his goal was to take jobs all over the country: shockingly good rather than checked out.

So yeah, it varies a lot.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Since everyone is making fun of spaceforce on my FB feed I made a thing.

https://tubedubber.com/?q=_Xxk8LYX0SQ:ec0XKhAHR5I:0:100:0:0:1

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah I've done 12 years and some of my experiences get used in interviews for good effect, but I'm not very rah rah, and I'm a computer toucher, not a high level manager.

The funniest poo poo is that there are plenty of older people in our unit that are completely unsuccessful at the industry that the army paid for them to learn, while the E4 Mafia is making ~$60-70k doing basic network poo poo.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It's hosed up when a junior soldier and a Commander are investigated in a FLIPL together but only the CO is found liable and then for an unrelated article 15 the CO takes the soldiers rank out of spite.

He's only being found liable for a few hundred dollars. What a whiny, spiteful little bitch.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

We got a recently retired 1SG at my job. He was hired before me (over Skype) but I had seniority on him for actually working. To me, we were on the same level, neothet higher ranking.
He tried to order me around like a 1SG on his first day, and then complained to higher when I laughed at him and walked away. There are one or two other former .mil guys who think rank matters, calling each other by former ranks, and get made fun of by everyone else.
Your rank don't matter, outside of the military, so gently caress off, fat man.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Mummy and daddy, the mean man didn't stand at parade rest when I put on my big boy voice!

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Mustang posted:

It's hosed up when a junior soldier and a Commander are investigated in a FLIPL together but only the CO is found liable and then for an unrelated article 15 the CO takes the soldiers rank out of spite.

He's only being found liable for a few hundred dollars. What a whiny, spiteful little bitch.

Taking notes ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

We got a recently retired 1SG at my job. He was hired before me (over Skype) but I had seniority on him for actually working. To me, we were on the same level, neothet higher ranking.
He tried to order me around like a 1SG on his first day, and then complained to higher when I laughed at him and walked away. There are one or two other former .mil guys who think rank matters, calling each other by former ranks, and get made fun of by everyone else.
Your rank don't matter, outside of the military, so gently caress off, fat man.

What kind of work is this? He sounds loving stupid