Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

One thing he kept saying was I wasn't patient or detail oriented enough for end-tier architecture (I don't really know what that means besides a general term) but that I did have the focus and attentiveness to do QA work and I could ~lead that team~

edit: God drat my terrible snipes. As a good news updated, I am filing the HIPAA thing right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Shirec posted:

I am filing the HIPAA thing right now

:getin:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Shirec posted:

edit: God drat my terrible snipes. As a good news updated, I am filing the HIPAA thing right now

Yessss :pcgaming:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Shirec posted:

I never realized this was a thing. He's been pushing me to do something like that since maybe November? Blargh, he's such a fuckface. Although right now he's freaking out because the sales team keeps coming to me with new customers/set ups instead of looping him in (naturally this is my fault hahahahaha I give no fucks).
I read about it but never personally saw it for sure.

I am now thinking this guy sees you talking to people with ease and assumes there is some conservation of skill law in effect therefore you must be bad at coding. Well, that would be outside of the time that he is thinking, "I need to treat people like poo poo constantly!"

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Shirec posted:

:perfect:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Shirec posted:

:coolspot:

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Shirec if the RX can be had in a 90 day supply you could do that. If you already filled your current script then you could just talk to your prescribing physician about the circumstance and see if any arrangement can be made to set up the 90 days script (Double dosage that you could half, or half dosage you could take double).

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
re: imposter syndrome: Something I like to remind myself is that if you don't look at your code from six months ago and cringe, you're not learning or growing as a coder. Having higher standards now means you are improving.

As for scrum master / team lead being basically secretary, this has happened to me. I was given the position and very quickly found myself in the position of Team Mom, trying to herd our 20-something male devs and get them to attend meetings, do their work, show up, etc. Basically I discovered that the position was Team Babysitter because none of the management wanted to bother with "dumb stuff" like HR. I was a woman in my late 20s who was a career change into programming so it was assumed my people skills > my coding skills. I had responsibility with no authority (one of the devs who never attended my sprint planning meetings - a new concept for some reason - literally laughed in my face and asked me what I was going to do about it).

I did my best, but ultimately I was in that role simply to prevent the upper management from having to deal with a bunch of manbabies. After I changed jobs I vowed to never be put in management again unless I had hiring/firing power.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Shirec posted:

I'm meeting my therapist today, I was foolish and didn't make arrangements for my health insurance getting cut off. I'm going to refill some medications and resign as soon as I can. I just thought of all this.

Do you have an FSA account with your job? If so, refill all the things, and think of what other expenses you might be able to cram in before your end day.

Under the IRS' FSA rules, the company has to allow you to spend 100% of what you pledged, all year, regardless of what you paid in so far. If you quit mid-year and you've spent more than you paid in at that time, they can't come after you for the difference.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Woodsy Owl posted:

Shirec if the RX can be had in a 90 day supply you could do that. If you already filled your current script then you could just talk to your prescribing physician about the circumstance and see if any arrangement can be made to set up the 90 days script (Double dosage that you could half, or half dosage you could take double).

kitten smoothie posted:

Do you have an FSA account with your job? If so, refill all the things, and think of what other expenses you might be able to cram in before your end day.

Under the IRS' FSA rules, the company has to allow you to spend 100% of what you pledged, all year, regardless of what you paid in so far. If you quit mid-year and you've spent more than you paid in at that time, they can't come after you for the difference.

I actually do get 90 day scripts already and I was going to talk to my doctor and see if I couldn't go even longer than that (they are really really expensive and the one nice thing about the job is good insurance)
However, no FSA! I want to research what the market plans are, but I don't know how to do that if I'm not currently eligible : / I really don't want to stop therapy right now since I'm mid recovery

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I read about it but never personally saw it for sure.

I am now thinking this guy sees you talking to people with ease and assumes there is some conservation of skill law in effect therefore you must be bad at coding. Well, that would be outside of the time that he is thinking, "I need to treat people like poo poo constantly!"

That's fascinating. I would never have thought that happens. For one thing, I don't associate a person having some skills meaning they don't have others. I do however, think that older programming world was more predisposed to rewarding assholes. I'm wondering if this dude always had a scapegoat on his team to dump all his anger on.

vonnegutt posted:

re: imposter syndrome: Something I like to remind myself is that if you don't look at your code from six months ago and cringe, you're not learning or growing as a coder. Having higher standards now means you are improving.

As for scrum master / team lead being basically secretary, this has happened to me. I was given the position and very quickly found myself in the position of Team Mom, trying to herd our 20-something male devs and get them to attend meetings, do their work, show up, etc. Basically I discovered that the position was Team Babysitter because none of the management wanted to bother with "dumb stuff" like HR. I was a woman in my late 20s who was a career change into programming so it was assumed my people skills > my coding skills. I had responsibility with no authority (one of the devs who never attended my sprint planning meetings - a new concept for some reason - literally laughed in my face and asked me what I was going to do about it).

I did my best, but ultimately I was in that role simply to prevent the upper management from having to deal with a bunch of manbabies. After I changed jobs I vowed to never be put in management again unless I had hiring/firing power.

Haha, I def do the whole "developer I hate the most is me 6 months ago." A lot of my current fear comes from doing a thing, getting a pass saying it's fine, and then getting reamed for it a month later.

It's super interesting that this shove to a faux leadership/admin role happens to women, and I'm really glad you were able to get out! I will try and take this to heart so I don't have to learn another lesson the hard way.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I feel bad to complain about my lovely boss and job (for just 1 more week) in this thread because it sounds like your boss does all the awful poo poo my boss does except amplifies it to 11.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I feel bad to complain about my lovely boss and job (for just 1 more week) in this thread because it sounds like your boss does all the awful poo poo my boss does except amplifies it to 11.

Oh! Please don't feel that way on my account. Everyone can have bad experiences, and those are worth venting and sharing about. I'd prefer my story to fade into a scary camp story we can tell so new devs can learn from my experiences

:ghost: Some say you can still hear Shirec's boss asking to meet in his office if it's a moonless night and you write bad commits :ghost:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Shirec posted:

Haha, I def do the whole "developer I hate the most is me 6 months ago." A lot of my current fear comes from doing a thing, getting a pass saying it's fine, and then getting reamed for it a month later.
Man. I hate this guy.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Shirec posted:

Oh! Please don't feel that way on my account. Everyone can have bad experiences, and those are worth venting and sharing about. I'd prefer my story to fade into a scary camp story we can tell so new devs can learn from my experiences

:ghost: Some say you can still hear Shirec's boss asking to meet in his office if it's a moonless night and you write bad commits :ghost:

Do you think you'll ever be at a point where you can name and shame this company to help keep people from working there?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

Do you think you'll ever be at a point where you can name and shame this company to help keep people from working there?

I do plan on it but Im also worried about people perhaps taking it too far? I cant recall, does this subforum ever become publicly accessible?

Im also drafting up a vicious glass door review to post after my last day

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shirec posted:

I do plan on it but Im also worried about people perhaps taking it too far? I cant recall, does this subforum ever become publicly accessible?

The reason project.log exists is because CoC is public

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

vonnegutt posted:

literally laughed in my face and asked me what I was going to do about it).
"Did you know it's a lot easier to lift somebody by their neck when I push them against a wall first?"

Shirec posted:

That's fascinating. I would never have thought that happens. For one thing, I don't associate a person having some skills meaning they don't have others. I do however, think that older programming world was more predisposed to rewarding assholes. I'm wondering if this dude always had a scapegoat on his team to dump all his anger on.
I'd totally see somebody in this industry treating somebody else with contempt over the simple fact that person can carry normal conversations. It looks like your boss certainly can't carry normal conversations. I can see this guy getting pissed about not being able to explain himself and turning that around to being your own fault, combined with a complex that what he even wants to say is probably stupid in the first place. Then he gets a situation where he has somebody that is clearly perfectly capable of understanding other human beings apparently not being able to understand him. Somehow that's your fault lol.

TBH I think I saw this "carries conversations=dumbass at tech" often in college and probably contributed to the gender ratio immediately taking a nose dive midway through the year. What saddens me is a buddy in Norway was a local university event there where they lamented that the ratio has gotten worse. I speculate that it's no longer a secret how lovely women can be treated going into tech and most just don't even want to bother. At least before they'd flop into it and maybe they'd fight back and maybe they'd just leave.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'd totally see somebody in this industry treating somebody else with contempt over the simple fact that person can carry normal conversations. It looks like your boss certainly can't carry normal conversations. I can see this guy getting pissed about not being able to explain himself and turning that around to being your own fault, combined with a complex that what he even wants to say is probably stupid in the first place. Then he gets a situation where he has somebody that is clearly perfectly capable of understanding other human beings apparently not being able to understand him. Somehow that's your fault lol.

TBH I think I saw this "carries conversations=dumbass at tech" often in college and probably contributed to the gender ratio immediately taking a nose dive midway through the year. What saddens me is a buddy in Norway was a local university event there where they lamented that the ratio has gotten worse. I speculate that it's no longer a secret how lovely women can be treated going into tech and most just don't even want to bother. At least before they'd flop into it and maybe they'd fight back and maybe they'd just leave.

He actually rags on me constantly for not being concise enough, and not "knowing enough of the technical terms." So no, it is me that is the bad communicator (except no, I'm so good at it when it comes to these other scenarios but not coding).

Munkeymon posted:

The reason project.log exists is because CoC is public

Hmmm should I make a new thread there then? Haha that might be weird, or we could start a new name and shame thread for bad companies, so it's not just "Shirec's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Boss"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Post a url shortened link to your glassdoor review when you do it, then delete it after a few days.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

The Fool posted:

Post a url shortened link to your glassdoor review when you do it, then delete it after a few days.

Don't do this.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

I can probably just do a coded message then and hope y'all aren't dicks about this. I'll probably do one where every first letter in a sentence will spell the company's name. Would that work for those of you wanting to avoid it? As I've said in the past as well, I can also just tell you if you PM me.

edit: also I didnt do it yet haha

Shirec fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 22, 2018

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Shirec posted:

I can probably just do a coded message then and hope y'all aren't dicks about this. I'll probably do one where every first letter in a sentence will spell the company's name. Would that work for those of you wanting to avoid it? As I've said in the past as well, I can also just tell you if you PM me.

I think avoiding a public post about it would be your wisest course of action. Also, I have PMs :v:

Glad you are moving on from that hellhole, and hope the rest of your career is nothing but awesomeness. Life is too short for lovely bosses.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

:10bux: isn't enough of a firewall to prevent any one of us could be your boss, a friend of your boss, a coworker, or a massive jerk. We all get the gist of how the review is going to be, and you wouldn't want to potentially spoil your newfound freedom with self-doxxing related liabilities.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I think if you PM people who have reg date that aren't from this month you'll likely be fine. I would definitely like to know the name of this hellhole!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Dark Wind posted:

I think if you PM people who have reg date that aren't from this month you'll likely be fine. I would definitely like to know the name of this hellhole!

I would even limit the pool to people that have a post history in this and/or the newbie thread.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Shirec posted:

As much as I'd like to see this guy named and shamed, especially to protect other people, my advice on this is to get done with all your reviews and violation report filings and stuff, and then just move the gently caress on. Don't go out of your way to create a situation that you might worry about, just celebrate the fact that you're out.

I wish I could say that your time at this company won't affect your life after you leave, but the truth is that it's probably going to affect you emotionally for some time to come. I speak from experience, as someone who had a boss similar to yours but was abused to a much lesser degree. It took me a while to fully recover mentally from what it did to me, but now he's just a bunch of horror stories I can tell my co-workers, and a very, very low bar for evaluating new managers. "Are you an emotionally manipulative, lying, narcissistic sociopath? Yes/No"

I will say that the day I put in my notice was one of the most liberating experiences I've had. What a glorious day; even knowing I was coming in for another couple weeks, my boss no longer had any power over me at all and we both knew it. Congratulations.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

As much as I'd like to see this guy named and shamed, especially to protect other people, my advice on this is to get done with all your reviews and violation report filings and stuff, and then just move the gently caress on. Don't go out of your way to create a situation that you might worry about, just celebrate the fact that you're out.

I wish I could say that your time at this company won't affect your life after you leave, but the truth is that it's probably going to affect you emotionally for some time to come. I speak from experience, as someone who had a boss similar to yours but was abused to a much lesser degree. It took me a while to fully recover mentally from what it did to me, but now he's just a bunch of horror stories I can tell my co-workers, and a very, very low bar for evaluating new managers. "Are you an emotionally manipulative, lying, narcissistic sociopath? Yes/No"

I will say that the day I put in my notice was one of the most liberating experiences I've had. What a glorious day; even knowing I was coming in for another couple weeks, my boss no longer had any power over me at all and we both knew it. Congratulations.

IRL thats my current plan. My best friend is pushing me to go full forest fire burn it down and then not show up ever again, but Im not really like that ever? I feel great but Ive got an edge of anxiety. I emailed my notice to him and our HR person and hes not acknowledged it all, its been a few hours.

I honestly dont know what the long term ramifications are of this. I was updating my mom about an event a few weeks ago and unprompted she says Wow he sounds just like your father to give you an idea of how familiar and often this has happened to me.

edit: hahahaha hahahaha they are planning vacations (all the same weekend/surrounding days that I had wanted because it was my birthday but Im forbidden vacations) and now they cant all take off! Im dying of joy. And I wont be there motherfuckers, Ill be drunk and flipping off the sky in your direction. One coworker is sounding super steamed, the one that always told me I was exaggerating

edit: now Im concerned because hes talking about me not being able to get in the office??? This is the end of July, and my last day is the 6th if he doesnt piss me off. I think hes just ignoring Im quitting?

Shirec fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 22, 2018

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

If he somehow manages to make your last 2 weeks even worse you are under no obligation to finish it out. You can quit immediately at any time

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Also if HR does an exit interview feel free to be as open and honest as you want, it could result in consequences for this fucker - has led to positive outcomes for me before.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Shirec posted:

edit: now Im concerned because hes talking about me not being able to get in the office??? This is the end of July, and my last day is the 6th if he doesnt piss me off. I think hes just ignoring Im quitting?

"She'll come crawling back"

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Shirec posted:

edit: hahahaha hahahaha they are planning vacations (all the same weekend/surrounding days that I had wanted because it was my birthday but Im forbidden vacations) and now they cant all take off! Im dying of joy. And I wont be there motherfuckers, Ill be drunk and flipping off the sky in your direction. One coworker is sounding super steamed, the one that always told me I was exaggerating

LOL.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Shirec posted:

I honestly don’t know what the long term ramifications are of this.

Worst case, you miss out on a reference you were never going to get.

Had you stayed, you'd have wasted away months or years you could have spent developing your career being battered around and pigeonholed in a position that did not interest you, until you get so burned out that your productivity actually does fall to a point the boss notices and motivates you with more battering. Thankfully, when my bad boss experience happened, I caught on and quit before too much lasting damage occurred...but I wish I did sooner.

It can seem strange, especially if you're like me and grew up rural or in a small town where quitting jobs is near unheard of, but in this field, especially the cities and hubs, a mercenary attitude will take you much farther than loyalty and trying to stick out a situation.

Speaking of mercenary attitude, I just got the walk! Here's hoping new job is every bit as awesome as I hope (or at least, continues to pay competitively).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shirec posted:

IRL that’s my current plan. My best friend is pushing me to go full forest fire burn it down and then not show up ever again, but I’m not really like that ever? I feel great but I’ve got an edge of anxiety. I emailed my notice to him and our HR person and he’s not acknowledged it all, it’s been a few hours.

I honestly don’t know what the long term ramifications are of this. I was updating my mom about an event a few weeks ago and unprompted she says “Wow he sounds just like your father” to give you an idea of how familiar and often this has happened to me.

edit: hahahaha hahahaha they are planning vacations (all the same weekend/surrounding days that I had wanted because it was my birthday but I’m forbidden vacations) and now they can’t all take off! I’m dying of joy. And I won’t be there motherfuckers, I’ll be drunk and flipping off the sky in your direction. One coworker is sounding super steamed, the one that always told me I was exaggerating

edit: now I’m concerned because he’s talking about me not being able to get in the office??? This is the end of July, and my last day is the 6th if he doesn’t piss me off. I think he’s just ignoring I’m quitting?

Enjoy the denial and him trying to pretend that he's been your biggest friend and booster

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Spun up a Jenkins server with NginX redirect today.
The Jenkins server fires off AWS AMI nodes as slaves for each run and its loving awesome. Took all of 8 hours because I had never set up AMI instances or Jenkins before. I dont think thats too bad.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well you can call everyone in to celebrate your birthday with a cake that has "I quit" written on it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Che Delilas posted:

Jose Valasquez posted:

If he somehow manages to make your last 2 weeks even worse you are under no obligation to finish it out. You can quit immediately at any time

Truth spoken here.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ratbert90 posted:

Spun up a Jenkins server with NginX redirect today.
The Jenkins server fires off AWS AMI nodes as slaves for each run and it’s loving awesome. Took all of 8 hours because I had never set up AMI instances or Jenkins before. I don’t think that’s too bad.

Do you have a ton invested in the Jenkins ecosystem? If not Id look at using something else. Jenkins is a nightmare.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

freeasinbeer posted:

Do you have a ton invested in the Jenkins ecosystem? If not I’d look at using something else. Jenkins is a nightmare.

But my beer and coder meme plugins!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

This a million times over. Just bounce if it's still lovely. You have zero responsibility to this guy and his lovely company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

freeasinbeer posted:

Do you have a ton invested in the Jenkins ecosystem? If not I’d look at using something else. Jenkins is a nightmare.

So far it seems to work fine?