Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

The ps3 has copies of PSX ports which look and sound great but have really bad loading times.

ugh. I was thinking of those when I was playing Chrono Trigger. I never finished the original PSX port because that pause before they draw their weapons was so annoying, I actually hooked up our SNES instead. also I think it had the same problem Chrono Trigger does with emulation, which is that all the sound effects are vaguely wrong?

I wish Square-Enix would adopt the nintendo model of doing a port with a single save state, I'd pay at least Nintendo prices for DQ1-4 and FF6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

ugh. I was thinking of those when I was playing Chrono Trigger. I never finished the original PSX port because that pause before they draw their weapons was so annoying, I actually hooked up our SNES instead. also I think it had the same problem Chrono Trigger does with emulation, which is that all the sound effects are vaguely wrong?

I wish Square-Enix would adopt the nintendo model of doing a port with a single save state, I'd pay at least Nintendo prices for DQ1-4 and FF6

DQ4 at least has an excellent port on DS

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

DQ4 at least has an excellent port on DS

The only Zelda game I haven't 100 percented is Triforce Heroes because playing handhelds do bad things to my back. :(

I'm really hoping the Chrono Trigger with a little extra content and new translation hits consoles at some point. I'd play the hell out of DQ games with with quality of life additions like Pacheesi, weapon price adjustments, etc. Does the DQ4 port let you actually play as all the characters in Chapter 5?

Playing DQ6 & 7 would be cool too, I dunno.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

Does the DQ4 port let you actually play as all the characters in Chapter 5?

Yeah

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

all the DQ games past 3 are available on DS and 3DS

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

drat, this owns. I might even play for a Steam version.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The mobile versions of Dragon Quests 1-6 are all good, which is surprising because they're for phones, but no, it's true. I would go so far as to say they're the best versions available, but there is some disagreement about 1-3 specifically, and of course if you really hate touch controls you're going to prefer the DS versions of 4-6.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i can't stand the look of phonegame text and modern UI elements in a retro game like that. tried to play DQ1 but couldn't get past it. DQ on DS is really good drat good

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

The mobile versions of Dragon Quests 1-6 are all good, which is surprising because they're for phones, but no, it's true. I would go so far as to say they're the best versions available, but there is some disagreement about 1-3 specifically, and of course if you really hate touch controls you're going to prefer the DS versions of 4-6.

I played 1-6 this way and yeah they're great ports. It's also awesome that they are all playable vertically, for one handed gaming on the go.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Is there anything besides the cartoon Steam versions available for purchase for 1-6? I'll emulated it if I have to, but I'd love to be able to play an actually decent port on the PS4 or Switch controllers. Ditto for Dragon Quest.

bsnes, snes 9x, retroarch with a good snes cores, and any other snes emu that has been updated in like the last decade will recognize a dual shock 4 for final fantasy 4-6. the best version of 4 is imo the super famicom one which you need a fan patch for anyway. the snes version cut a bunch of stuff and has a terrible translation and all the remakes are weird. ff6 has a gba port that's good but the music is terrible [on original hardware, not just emulators] but you can patch it to have the snes music. idr if ff5 had a gba port or not. ff2 and 3 aren't really worth playing imo. there's a billion ff1 ports. all the psx ports are trash as other ppl have said

mysterious loyall X fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 3, 2018

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
emulators are usually better at supporting controllers than actual pc games

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

elf help book posted:

emulators are usually better at supporting controllers than actual pc games

tekken 7 is the only pc game i've played that will recognize when a controller is plugged in after you start the game. thank you harada

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

bsnes, snes 9x, retroarch with a good snes cores, and any other snes emu that has been updated in like the last decade will recognize a dual shock 4 for final fantasy 4-6. the best version of 4 is imo the super famicom one which you need a fan patch for anyway. the snes version cut a bunch of stuff and has a terrible translation and all the remakes are weird. ff6 has a gba port that's good but the music is terrible [on original hardware, not just emulators] but you can patch it to have the snes music. idr if ff5 had a gba port or not. ff2 and 3 aren't really worth playing imo. there's a billion ff1 ports. all the psx ports are trash as other ppl have said

FF5 had a really good GBA port with a whole new translation and a few extra jobs but somebody made a patch to port the new translation back to the SNES version so that’s fine to play

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

FF5 had a really good GBA port with a whole new translation and a few extra jobs but somebody made a patch to port the new translation back to the SNES version so that’s fine to play

drat i'll have to check that out

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the new content isnt great but the translation's a lot of fun. the new jobs come in at the tail end of the game and arent incredible and you dont get one until you beat the new ultra superboss so it's like whats the point

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

the new content isnt great but the translation's a lot of fun. the new jobs come in at the tail end of the game and arent incredible and you dont get one until you beat the new ultra superboss so it's like whats the point

yeah, i kind of like the GBA translation but the new jobs basically show up when even the world's biggest completionist would be done with the game.

yeah, ff4 is weird because the "hardtype" version is only officially available on the wonky ports. does a dual shock 4 actually get picked up by a laptop if you just use micro-USB to USB or w/e? i guess i never thought to try.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

yeah, i kind of like the GBA translation but the new jobs basically show up when even the world's biggest completionist would be done with the game.

yeah, ff4 is weird because the "hardtype" version is only officially available on the wonky ports. does a dual shock 4 actually get picked up by a laptop if you just use micro-USB to USB or w/e? i guess i never thought to try.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3687/ Here's the GBA-to-SNES translation

Yeah it will get picked up though certain games may or may not support it. You can use DS4Windows which basically emulates it as a 360 controller too

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I think it had sound issues like 6 so make sure you get the patched version

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

yes. for snes 9x, mednafen/retroarch, and bsnes/higan you don't even need a 3rd party mapper like ds4windows

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

yes. for snes 9x, mednafen/retroarch, and bsnes/higan you don't even need a 3rd party mapper like ds4windows

i've been playing this with the j2e fan patch, thanks. Hardtype is harder than i remember, that section where Golbez kills your entire party in a cut scene and then you have to beat him with just Rydia and Cecil was insane, plus from like Tower of Zot on, most of your party gets two-hit killed even in the back row.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The Octopath Prologue demo has me in the mood to finally give FF a try, should I start with 6? I have a SNES Classic so I'd be trying that version. Are there any bigass swords in it?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I mean, if you like Octopath you should probably give Bravely Default a go since it's essentially BD3.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Will Bravely Default go on sale before Octopath releases?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Will Bravely Default go on sale before Octopath releases?

i don't know

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The original? Probably not. I paid full $40 for it after I already bought the sequel for $15 on nintendos ebay account lol. hosed up but true

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

NienNunb posted:

The Octopath Prologue demo has me in the mood to finally give FF a try, should I start with 6? I have a SNES Classic so I'd be trying that version. Are there any bigass swords in it?

If you want to try a classic FF, 6 is pretty accessible IMO. it holds your hand as it teaches you all of the basic concepts and the art style looks like a lot of indie 2D games now. 1 and 4 might turn you away for difficulty and i love 5 but the most fun part of it is just making the numbers go up.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I’m playing FFX for the first time and it’s very enjoyable. Nothing stands out as being particularly amazing about it for me but everything feels solid which is enough to ask for from a game that’s 16 years old at this point. I also find the setting perfect for summer weather so far

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

X is so good. I love the turn-based system, love the sphere grid, love the story, love the music. The voice acting is rough in places, and I’m sure a lot of it is nostalgia, but it’s so good.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I just replayed X this year and it holds up very well

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

tao of lmao posted:

X is so good. I love the turn-based system, love the sphere grid, love the story, love the music. The voice acting is rough in places, and I’m sure a lot of it is nostalgia, but it’s so good.

I’m worried I will screw up the sphere grid tbh. It’s a little overwhelming at first glance.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

my morning jackass posted:

I’m worried I will screw up the sphere grid tbh. It’s a little overwhelming at first glance.

it's on rails until you can learn what you're doing. they won't give you the unlocking and teleport spheres that put people into each other's grids until later, when you can use the don tonberry trick to just march people around the grid.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's very linear, relax. X is a great beginner FF. I wouldn't call it a standout, but there's nothing about it I dislike and it refines the basic turn-based gameplay nicely.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Nah you really can't mess up the sphere grid. I played X last year and loved it, very chill rear end game.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Okay that’s good to hear, thanks all. Just a couple of weeks until I’m on vacation and I’ll be able to really get into it.

The battle music is really good

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Okay that’s good to hear, thanks all. Just a couple of weeks until I’m on vacation and I’ll be able to really get into it.

The battle music is really good

nobuo uematsu is probably the best composer in video games, it's kind of a shame he moved and doesn't do it anymore.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Hi all, Op here. I finally got the plat for ffxv. Still need to do episode prompto and i need to buy ignis still. but this game owned

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Final Fantasy 13-3 Lightning Returns is on sale on steam for $10... I really liked 13 and 13-2, but when 13-3 came out I never got it cause i read there is a timer that discourages chilling out/exploration, which is the whole point of jrpgs for me. Some ppl have told me the timer doesnt really matter though? I see these posts on google..

quote:

You want to take your time and see everything? You can, trust me, at whatever pace you want. Just because you're tasked with saving the world doesn't mean you have to. If you run out of time, you get to keep everything for your next run. All those stats, items, weapons, armor, money, you obtained? They're yours forever. The timer is just counting down to New Game+, which gives you even more days to sightsee to your heart's content. There's no need to cheat to get more days when the game will happily give them to you.

quote:

The time limit is no issue at all. If you, like me, fail to beat the boss at the end of the game you can just restart the whole thing and keep leveling your character (you keep items, your level etc)

You can also freeze time during the game, and the more quests you finish the more time you get.

Can any1 confirm? im super interested i just HATE being timed...

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

That's how I felt about it too so any info regarding that would be nice. It's the only 13 game I haven't platted.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
The steam page says theres lots of character customization so im so tempted to buy it right now!! I get so into that. But i'd really like some assurance that the timer doesnt really matter... Im not trying to be stressed while I game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I casually explored my way through it and had so much extra in game time that I had to sleep a hotel for 6 in game days (out of 13) to start the final dungeon. It's a very open game with lots of things to do at any time, and you're probably gonna miss side quests, but you will enjoy your time with Lightning, who has returned. It's also got an awesome combat system and a really unique take on XP/Jobs/skill progression and I would highly recommend it