Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pendent posted:

Playing an empire campaign to change things up a bit. I took Marienberg very quickly for obvious reasons and that dumb city has been a millstone around my neck. Constant attacks by Norsca, Beastmen, even Brettonians have left me constantly taking and retaking it as my main army is off conquering elsewhere and I can’t afford a second stack yet

Edit: Welp, just got razed by Khazrak One-Eye. God dammit
One thing the Empire campaign benefits from greatly is taking a few turns to consolidate a bit instead of always being conquering. Your territories can build pretty tall, and its worth doing so. Also, its definitely worth skimping a bit on your rear end-kicking stack so a small army of 5-6 guys and a lord of hero or two can act as garrison booster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Man, it’s Marienberg and it was completely undefended after Louen barely failed to take the city.

I definitely am feeling the difficulty for Empire a lot more than during my last playthrough- everybody seems to want a piece of you. Particularly Norsca.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Upon further playing, I don't know what the hell is wrong, but something is seriously up with their autoresolve damage formula, and it goes way beyond their excuses that it's complicated. As I've been standardizing, my armies are generally a frontline of 6 Temple Guard, who in a favorable autoresolve take very little damage. But the 2 Kroxigor units I'm generally using, or the 2 Horned One units I'm gradually introducing, tend to get wrecked - if not outright destroyed. These are all melee units with similar armor, reasonably similar HP, and MD values not terribly far off from each other either - there is no bloody way there should be this much difference in damage taken. Hell, enemy composition doesn't matter to this either, because it has been happening against stacks with precisely 0 Anti-Large units too so it's not a matter of that quality being over-emphasized or something.

In similar dumb news, though fun dumb in this case, I've been remembering the stupid hilarity of the Humble trait for Lizardmen heroes, and now have 6 various skink heroes with the trait all sitting in the same province. Recruitable Rank 15 Scar Veterans (and thus Carnosaurs) for all my armies? Sure, why not.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Lord Koth posted:

Upon further playing, I don't know what the hell is wrong, but something is seriously up with their autoresolve damage formula,

welcome to total war. try bastilidons.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Pendent posted:

Man, it’s Marienberg and it was completely undefended after Louen barely failed to take the city.

I definitely am feeling the difficulty for Empire a lot more than during my last playthrough- everybody seems to want a piece of you. Particularly Norsca.

Quickly invest into walls for marienburg before anything else.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Lord Koth posted:

Upon further playing, I don't know what the hell is wrong, but something is seriously up with their autoresolve damage formula, and it goes way beyond their excuses that it's complicated. As I've been standardizing, my armies are generally a frontline of 6 Temple Guard, who in a favorable autoresolve take very little damage. But the 2 Kroxigor units I'm generally using, or the 2 Horned One units I'm gradually introducing, tend to get wrecked - if not outright destroyed. These are all melee units with similar armor, reasonably similar HP, and MD values not terribly far off from each other either - there is no bloody way there should be this much difference in damage taken. Hell, enemy composition doesn't matter to this either, because it has been happening against stacks with precisely 0 Anti-Large units too so it's not a matter of that quality being over-emphasized or something.

CA have said that auto-resolve assumes you use units like monsters and monstrous infantry to tank most of the damage, so they take a disproportionate amount while your other units take less than if you hadn't fielded them. Apparently it thinks you do the same with cavalry, because they always seem to get wrecked too. Yeah it's dumb. And it's actually been toned down since the first game was released.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

CA have said that auto-resolve assumes you use units like monsters and monstrous infantry to tank most of the damage, so they take a disproportionate amount while your other units take less than if you hadn't fielded them. Apparently it thinks you do the same with cavalry, because they always seem to get wrecked too. Yeah it's dumb. And it's actually been toned down since the first game was released.

Isn't that the exact opposite of what a player does though?

I know I try to use my poo poo tier infantry to tank most of the damage. Monsters and cavalry are for breaking lines and attacking flanks while they're busy slaughtering my scrubs.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

McGavin posted:

Isn't that the exact opposite of what a player does though?

Yup

e: Well actually I do sometimes use a dragon to clear walls in a siege assault and they'll take a bit of damage in the process. I won't loving leave them there til they're dead though. And it's a decision I have control over.

My solution would be to let players designate units as reserves for auto resolve. Units in reserve take 0 damage unless everyone else is dead but also don't contribute to the battle. That and fixing it so monsters and cav don't get owned every auto resolve.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 22, 2018

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Now the steam sale is on I'm thinking of getting Total Hams 2 at last, but I don't own any of the first game's DLC either. Is there anything considered 'essential' DLC for either game?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hungry posted:

Now the steam sale is on I'm thinking of getting Total Hams 2 at last, but I don't own any of the first game's DLC either. Is there anything considered 'essential' DLC for either game?

Not really, only buy the DLC for the races you intend to play in the next two months. All content is used by the AI even if you don't own it. Norsca and Tomb Kings have the best and most unique campaigns of the DLC factions if you want to grab any.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010

Hungry posted:

Nothing is essential, if you don’t buy races they still appear as enemies on the campaign map.

Get any of the race packs if their mechanics or style appeal, and the lord packs e.g Grim and Grave if you like those factions.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lord Koth posted:

Oh, and Khatep declared on me despite being multiple provinces away, and proceeded to march 3 armies past multiple Dark Elf undefended settlements he was at war with in order to beeline to a settlement he couldn't even see and sack it (Chotek's Causeway). Fun and Engaging mechanics indeed, and totally not complete bullshit.

I know im a big mods advocate but if you want you can disable this behaviour with this mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1196729342&searchtext=anti

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
IMO the orcs are a little incomplete without The King and the Warlord. That one also adds some cool new lords with difficult starting positions. The Grim and the Grave is cool, but not essential. Get it if you like playing Empire or Vamps.

The Chaos race pack was bad for ages, eventually got patched. It's now okay, although pretty monotonous. Beastmen are lots of fun. Wood Elves are kind of frustrating, it's really hard to get past the one-army threshold. OP in a fun way later on, though. Norsca is fun as hell, great roster with some really neat mechanics (harvesting the foreign lands for their gods instead of conquering them).
Basically, get the race packs if (or when) you plan on playing them, they make no difference if you're playing as the other factions. Beastmen and Wood Elves also include small standalone campaigns. There's not much to them.

Blood DLC adds gore. Get it if you want.

Also make sure you actually get all the free DLC, the implementation is kind of screwy, you need to tell Steam you want it like five times to make it stick.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Hungry posted:

The caveat is that all of the following recommendations are only if you’re interested in playing the respective factions; if you really don’t care about playing as X, Y,or Z then obviously you don’t need to get the pack

A+ Fun Tier:

King and the Warlord (dwarfs and goblins)
Rise of the Tomb Kings
Norsca

B+ Fun with caveats Tier:

Call of the Beastmen
Queen and the Crone (high elves and dark elves)
Chaos (more of a B- tbh)

C+ Fun for some Tier:

Realm of the Wood Elves
Grim and the Grave (empire and vampire counts)

Scrub-Niggurath fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 22, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Idunno if putting Chaos above anything is the right call there. Maybe it's more fun since the Norsca patch.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Krazyface posted:

IMO the orcs are a little incomplete without The King and the Warlord. That one also adds some cool new lords with difficult starting positions. The Grim and the Grave is cool, but not essential. Get it if you like playing Empire or Vamps.

The Chaos race pack was bad for ages, eventually got patched. It's now okay, although pretty monotonous. Beastmen are lots of fun. Wood Elves are kind of frustrating, it's really hard to get past the one-army threshold. OP in a fun way later on, though. Norsca is fun as hell, great roster with some really neat mechanics (harvesting the foreign lands for their gods instead of conquering them).
Basically, get the race packs if (or when) you plan on playing them, they make no difference if you're playing as the other factions. Beastmen and Wood Elves also include small standalone campaigns. There's not much to them.

Blood DLC adds gore. Get it if you want.

Also make sure you actually get all the free DLC, the implementation is kind of screwy, you need to tell Steam you want it like five times to make it stick.

Also you need to sign up for Total War Access (it's free though) to get the regiments of renown for any of the WH1 DLC races and if you do like the look of them you'll probably want their regiments of renown because some of them are pretty cool.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Idunno if putting Chaos above anything is the right call there. Maybe it's more fun since the Norsca patch.

I was going to put it firmly in the C tier but having norsca really makes a big difference

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

idk, Chaos still feels pretty quote unquote incomplete, and probably will continue to feel that way until they fold some of the stuff they're bound to release with Daemons of Chaos, like marked marauder/warrior/chosen variants, some distinguishing note for the undivided versions of each, and possibly some access to the lower tier deamons?

it's going to be pretty interesting if with the release of DoC we come full circle and get a major positive content buff to the very first DLC, which at the time (and since?) has been the worse received.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

KazigluBey posted:

idk, Chaos still feels pretty quote unquote incomplete, and probably will continue to feel that way until they fold some of the stuff they're bound to release with Daemons of Chaos, like marked marauder/warrior/chosen variants, some distinguishing note for the undivided versions of each, and possibly some access to the lower tier deamons?

it's going to be pretty interesting if with the release of DoC we come full circle and get a major positive content buff to the very first DLC, which at the time (and since?) has been the worse received.

SFO actually just had an updated that includes some Chaos campaign changes that let you get access to stuff like Khorne berserkers. It's pretty neat.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I really like Morghur’s innate ability. Exploding a low fleeing unit into chaos spawn is very cool.

Also like how simply they handled it. Apply an insanely high direct damage spell to gib the unit instantly, then spawn the spawn in the same spot. The spawn causing fear and the sudden death of a nearby unit cause a solid leadership hit to nearby units, which makes sense since what’s supposeduly happening is their comrades suddenly morphing into these insane abominations.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I think I'm going to shelve my ongoing Khalida Vortex campaign. One would think that I'd like the #1 monster mashing faction since Lizardmen are by far my favorite faction but nope, I just don't like the feel of the TK roster. Can't explain it.

Another reason is that my next objective is to purge Itza and Xlanhuapec to get to two books of Nagash which I really don't want to do because 1. The lizardmen, especially the skinkies are so cute :3: and 2. Holy gently caress are their armies downright murderous, please send my skeletons help they're crumbling

I think I'll start my first ME campaign since I got to pick up WH1. Kroq-Gar, maybe.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You might want to try Settra or Khatep, Khalida feels a bit underwhelming and besides a passive archer aura doesn't have a "wow" factor to her and also focuses on buffing the tomb kings least interesting serpent units.

Try Settra for a easy time, Khatep for a skarsnik-tier hard start with some great bonuses to climate and replenishment and magic.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I really like Morghur’s innate ability. Exploding a low fleeing unit into chaos spawn is very cool.

Also like how simply they handled it. Apply an insanely high direct damage spell to gib the unit instantly, then spawn the spawn in the same spot. The spawn causing fear and the sudden death of a nearby unit cause a solid leadership hit to nearby units, which makes sense since what’s supposeduly happening is their comrades suddenly morphing into these insane abominations.

Beastmen were some of the most fun I've had in campaign. Hit and run when the enemy ain't looking until you're so powerful you just brazenly challenge their best armies and charge at them from three different directions.

I don't know how to play tomb kings. I've tried a couple times and I just can't get a campaign off the ground. I think I'm relying too much on lovely infantry. Are you supposed to bide your time and build tall in one province to get a doom stack going?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
There are two Swords of Khaine right now. I killed Alarielle and claimed it, then lost the Shrine, the reclaimed the Shrine. Alarielle keeps respawning with the Sword. I just put it back to see if I could re-claim it and keep her from it, but that's annoying as poo poo.

e: Even worse, even though I own the Shrine, I can't claim it because she has it active. So that's cool. And I can't kill her easily because Lothern is loving huge. I'll have to kill her, claim it again, and then...have three? Hell if I know.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Luminous Cow posted:

Beastmen were some of the most fun I've had in campaign. Hit and run when the enemy ain't looking until you're so powerful you just brazenly challenge their best armies and charge at them from three different directions.

I don't know how to play tomb kings. I've tried a couple times and I just can't get a campaign off the ground. I think I'm relying too much on lovely infantry. Are you supposed to bide your time and build tall in one province to get a doom stack going?

As Settra, at least, that cat does so much work I was able to go at a steady pace while slowly adding armies full of lovely skeletons as i researched more dynasties.

Tomb Kings are probably the #1 snowball faction. They're kind of slow and lovely for a while then you hit your second tomb scorpion and ushabti building, level 10 on a necrotect or two, and suddenly have All The Monsters. It's even moreso now that you can get bone giants at level 4 as well.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You might want to try Settra or Khatep, Khalida feels a bit underwhelming and besides a passive archer aura doesn't have a "wow" factor to her and also focuses on buffing the tomb kings least interesting serpent units.

Try Settra for a easy time, Khatep for a skarsnik-tier hard start with some great bonuses to climate and replenishment and magic.

Yup, the horse line troops especially didn't really impress me. Sepulchral Stalkers were decent for anti-large work but Necropolis Knights have such lame charging animations that they just can't send enemies flying. They do this tiny dash when they charge after which their momentum is entirely killed.

I also am not really a fan of the undead morale mechanic, I have to admit. Saurus have the good sense to leave just before they get wiped so I can just replenish instead of needing to recruit them again :v:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Ravenfood posted:

There are two Swords of Khaine right now. I killed Alarielle and claimed it, then lost the Shrine, the reclaimed the Shrine. Alarielle keeps respawning with the Sword. I just put it back to see if I could re-claim it and keep her from it, but that's annoying as poo poo.

e: Even worse, even though I own the Shrine, I can't claim it because she has it active. So that's cool. And I can't kill her easily because Lothern is loving huge. I'll have to kill her, claim it again, and then...have three? Hell if I know.

I'll be honest this sounds hilarious, like Khaine decided there wasn't enough murder going on so he just figured "Hey let's add more sword"

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I'll be honest this sounds hilarious, like Khaine decided there wasn't enough murder going on so he just figured "Hey let's add more sword"
According to ~*lore*~ there were like forty or so of them after all.

I must ask for advice on starting a Clan Morr ME campaign. It seems really rough putting you up against a greenskin faction from the get-go when you don’t really have the infrastructure for the big hammers you need to take advantage of all those fodder skavenslaves. I’m able to secure the starting province because it’s only 2 regions and I’m not totally inept, but Mt Arachnos directly to the south seems my next logical step and it’s the home of a full stack of orcs who tear apart my lines in open battle.

What’s my best move? Do I just turtle and try to tech up to plagueclaws/globadiers while hoping they don’t grow too powerful? Seems I’m letting them outpace me if I do that since at this point we both just have basic infantry and skirmishers, and theirs fair outclass mine. Do I recruit a second stack, cram it with skavenslaves, and try to choke them on a siege? help-help

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Scandalous posted:

What’s my best move? Do I just turtle and try to tech up to plagueclaws/globadiers while hoping they don’t grow too powerful? Seems I’m letting them outpace me if I do that since at this point we both just have basic infantry and skirmishers, and theirs fair outclass mine. Do I recruit a second stack, cram it with skavenslaves, and try to choke them on a siege? help-help

These are the standard plays for early game (OK, also mid-game) Skaven. Also try to recruit and nurture a Ruin Grey Seer: Warp Lightning is one of the best spells in the game, and using rats to force enemies into tight balls that you drop lightning on is a strategy that never fails to be effective.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Scandalous posted:

According to ~*lore*~ there were like forty or so of them after all.

I must ask for advice on starting a Clan Morr ME campaign. It seems really rough putting you up against a greenskin faction from the get-go when you don’t really have the infrastructure for the big hammers you need to take advantage of all those fodder skavenslaves. I’m able to secure the starting province because it’s only 2 regions and I’m not totally inept, but Mt Arachnos directly to the south seems my next logical step and it’s the home of a full stack of orcs who tear apart my lines in open battle.

Use up your food on the first settlement you take to get an instant level 3 town, build the infantry building there, save Queeks skillpoints and when you hit level 6 choose the skills that give you +recruit ranks to stormvermin, then when the building is done, start recruiting cheap and silver chevron stormvermin halberds as your core, which will outclass anything the orcs can throw at you.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Thank you. That’s how my Vortex campaign started - a second reinforcement of slaves led by a Grey Seer - but it seemed like I had way more breathing room than in ME.

AD090 - you'd recommend the Stormvermin path over Clanrats in Queek’s unique tree? I went the former in Vortex but occasionally felt I should have chosen the latter

Edit: to clarify, I wondered if the bonuses to armour and faction-wide upkeep in addition to experience were better than equivalent experience for Stormvermin, but I see now that it also reduces SV recruitment time all provinces so yeah gently caress it we’re stormin’

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 22, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I absolutely love taking down chaos invasions with hordes of goblins. Two full stacks of mostly fanatics and a few creatures with their waaghs got attacked by the first two armies of the chaos invasion and despite their units being 2x stronger than even sorta buffed goblins I managed to take them down in an epic Pyrrhic victory.

I can't want to take on archaon with my main armies, all composed of black orks, top experience Goblin units wit banners, and giants/arachnaroks and led the greenskin LLs.

What I'm wondering is since chaos and to a lesser extent Norsca and dwarves and stuff are all AP heavy should I swap out my back line guard/anvil for savage orcs instead of black ones? The latter really eat my upkeep

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Make some rogers and mash some orks!

Frog Act posted:

I absolutely love taking down chaos invasions with hordes of goblins. Two full stacks of mostly fanatics and a few creatures with their waaghs got attacked by the first two armies of the chaos invasion and despite their units being 2x stronger than even sorta buffed goblins I managed to take them down in an epic Pyrrhic victory.

I can't want to take on archaon with my main armies, all composed of black orks, top experience Goblin units wit banners, and giants/arachnaroks and led the greenskin LLs.

What I'm wondering is since chaos and to a lesser extent Norsca and dwarves and stuff are all AP heavy should I swap out my back line guard/anvil for savage orcs instead of black ones? The latter really eat my upkeep

I have never felt like I needed black orks as skarsnik or wurrzag. There's a million ways to get AP in greenskins. That said, I still make em because I'm a child who thinks they're cool as heck.

feller fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 22, 2018

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Hungry posted:

The only essential DLC for Total Hams 2 is Blood for the Blood God (gore effects), although if you don't have it Hams 1 is 75% off and is effectively essential DLC, providing the Mortal Empires map and five new races.

The DLC factions (Norsca, Tomb Kings, Beastmen, Wood Elves, and Chaos) are all solid if you like those races but I wouldn't recommend them for starting players as they all do weird things to the economy. I've put them in the order I'd recommend if you get 1 as well as 2.

The DLC expansions (The Grim and the Grave, the King and the Warlord, and the Queen and the Crone) are only if you actually like one of those factions. Queen and the Crone is the only one designed for Warhammer and it's almost certainly the best.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Frog Act posted:

It still amazes me how many goblin streamers I have seen not press the launch fanatics button

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Frog Act posted:

Archaon is boring garbage. The best and most appropriate way to take him down is with a thousand cackling little green bastards stabbing him in the crotch with dull, rusty knives.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Scandalous posted:

Thank you. That’s how my Vortex campaign started - a second reinforcement of slaves led by a Grey Seer - but it seemed like I had way more breathing room than in ME.

AD090 - you'd recommend the Stormvermin path over Clanrats in Queek’s unique tree? I went the former in Vortex but occasionally felt I should have chosen the latter

Edit: to clarify, I wondered if the bonuses to armour and faction-wide upkeep in addition to experience were better than equivalent experience for Stormvermin, but I see now that it also reduces SV recruitment time all provinces so yeah gently caress it we’re stormin’

Yeah, lean into Queek's gimmick and get tons of Stormvermin. For other lords, they probably aren't worth bringing too many compared to clanrats, but Queek should be all SV, all the time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I really recommend Khatep for Tomb Kings. A huge difference TK get over other races is that Lords that start with a hero also start with +1 capacity and you can recruit them anywhere.

So with Khatep you check out the current lord. If you don't care for the lore he starts with, dismiss him and recruit the one you want. And while you're at it, try to get 'Wise' on all your heroes, because it gives +1 veterancy to recruited units and +2 jars a turn.

Hoard up jars till you have enough to expand Liche priest capacity, then look for another Liche priest that also has Wise. This gets you recruiting very high veterancy units early on, which really starts paying dividends when you get into stronger infantry and constructs.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
okay morathi's start got harder haha. i had barely taken a second city when alith anar came wandering in with a doomstack. i'm gonna have to rethink my early game a lot here. any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Krazyface posted:

It's definitely screwy but I found that the most foolproof way to get it working is to add one of the free DLC things, boot up the launcher, let the game recognise that the free DLC is in, then close the launcher and do the next free DLC. That seemed to work - it's the sort of thing you barely notice if you're just adding one piece of free DLC at a time as it's released, but if you're trying to add them all at once it's a real pain.