Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Theres some serious size illusion going on because that 65 inch tv still looks like a 42 inch tv.

You have a big wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Have you considered buying digital frames so they all can cycle through tons of pictures to make your wall even busier?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Solice Kirsk posted:

Have you considered buying digital frames so they all can cycle through tons of pictures to make your wall even busier?

Its a big wall, when it was blank it looked kinda weird

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fair enough, but you could have used that giant wall as the perfect excuse to buy a 200" tv.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Coredump posted:

You must go bigger. We have the technology.

0.7mm pitch LED...how big is the wall? :circlefap:

You would have to buy speakers though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

beanieson posted:

Its a big wall, when it was blank it looked kinda weird

You can get a sound bar for a big improvement in sound while being minimalist.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Has sound bar technology really gotten to the point where it will approximate a surround system? I dont want to deal with running wires and poo poo, lots of effort for not really my thing, but I keep seeing these sound bars advertised as the next best thing.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

beanieson posted:

A while back I posted a shot of the new frames I bought and hung on my wall. Goons made fun of the small looking tv, which was actually a 50 tv that looked pretty small on the biggish wall.

Today I bought a bigger tv.

I suggest knocking the wall out and installing a ceiling mount theater screen with projector lift

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

beanieson posted:

Has sound bar technology really gotten to the point where it will approximate a surround system? I dont want to deal with running wires and poo poo, lots of effort for not really my thing, but I keep seeing these sound bars advertised as the next best thing.

No. It's a neat gimmick but it doesn't sound as good as surround sound. I just like them because I don't want wires all over the room and it still sounds way better than the TV speakers.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Blue On Blue posted:

I suggest knocking the wall out and installing a ceiling mount theater screen with projector lift

Movie theaters have started to replace projection screens with fine pitch LED :colbert:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

No. It's a neat gimmick but it doesn't sound as good as surround sound. I just like them because I don't want wires all over the room and it still sounds way better than the TV speakers.

I may do that at some point. I was surprised by how cheap huge screens have gotten. There was a 75 for like $900 but the picture wasnt as nice. This was the biggest tv I could do without having to move around my frames lol

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

beanieson posted:

Sound bars aren't as good as a proper 5.1 or 7.1 setup but still sound a metric fuckload better than the speakers built into your TV. Big flatscreens with thin bezels almost universally have tiny, terrible speakers that don't even point towards the listener.

Even a cheap soundbar with no sub or satellites is going to make things sound so much better and clearer. There are also lots of soundbar options (including some cheap ones like Vizio) with wireless sub and/or rear satellite speakers. Again, not as good as a proper wired setup but night and day better than tv speakers.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Lawen posted:

Sound bars aren't as good as a proper 5.1 or 7.1 setup but still sound a metric fuckload better than the speakers built into your TV. Big flatscreens with thin bezels almost universally have tiny, terrible speakers that don't even point towards the listener.

Even a cheap soundbar with no sub or satellites is going to make things sound so much better and clearer. There are also lots of soundbar options (including some cheap ones like Vizio) with wireless sub and/or rear satellite speakers. Again, not as good as a proper wired setup but night and day better than tv speakers.

Yup. I got a free one from a friend who upgraded to a 5.1 system, and even though it's trash-tier (almost ten years old, Radio Shack branded) it's still so much better than the built-in speakers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

We have a TCL 6 series which is basically the best non-OLED TV you can buy. The speakers are okay but frequency response and volume are very limited.

We bought a Samsung MH-360 2.1 soundbar which isnt super fancy and worth much closer to the $80 we paid than the $200 MSRP, but its a huge improvement in audio quality. Id say if you can get a a $250-300 soundbar for half off, do it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They make some good soundbar systems now with wireless subs and satellites. The soundbar is your center and front two speakers and the satellites and sub get you the rest of the way. Compares favorably to true surround, like 90% of the way there for most people.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

They make some good soundbar systems now with wireless subs and satellites. The soundbar is your center and front two speakers and the satellites and sub get you the rest of the way. Compares favorably to true surround, like 90% of the way there for most people.

This is what I do and for a non audiophile it is good enough

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a wireless Vizio soundbar setup I really like. Just having a sub makes a big difference. My only complaint is the volume adjustment isn't granular enough, so when watching at night it's either too quiet to hear some dialog, or oh poo poo my neighbors are gonna call the landlord on me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Soundbars are awesome. Im a big music/instrument/sound nerd and dont give a poo poo if Im not getting Top Tier Audiophile Quality. Ill trade some audio quality for convenience + less wires any day. A Soundbar + Sub will get you extremely far into a much better audio experience. Mine is an okay if very buggy Sony one and I still love it. I do want to upgrade to one with satellite speakers eventually though so I can get the full surround experience.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Wu Wear

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
The problem is all the new TVs are flat screen so those lovely speakers arent even facing you. At least the old ones in the 90s were in the front, as poo poo as they were.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

To Battle posted:

The problem is all the new TVs are flat screen so those lovely speakers aren’t even facing you. At least the old ones in the 90s were in the front, as poo poo as they were.

Bottom or back facing speakers are a fairly recent phenomenon from the past three years or so, when edge to edge screens with minimal or no bezel became the normal design. I have a 48" Vizio from around 2010 that has front facing speakers which are decent by flat panel standards, but still get outclassed by a soundbar.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Geoj posted:

Bottom or back facing speakers are a fairly recent phenomenon from the past three years or so, when edge to edge screens with minimal or no bezel became the normal design. I have a 48" Vizio from around 2010 that has front facing speakers which are decent by flat panel standards, but still get outclassed by a soundbar.

Back facing at least allows for reflective amplification.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rolo posted:

Theres some serious size illusion going on because that 65 inch tv still looks like a 42 inch tv.

You have a big wall.

I had the opposite effect recently thanks to a realtor who was into camera trickery. Presenting my 10 foot wide tv

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord

The Sexual Shiite posted:

How much, from where, and does it feel like it’s going to last a couple of years?

It's this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003BYQ1K0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529785077

I fully expect it to last for several years- the reasons I got rid of the one it's replacing (same brand, different model) have nothing to do with the quality or structure of the thing itself. It had lasted for three or four years and if it hadn't been unfairly murdered by outside factors almost certainly would have kept on truckin' for several more.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I had the opposite effect recently thanks to a realtor who was into camera trickery. Presenting my 10 foot wide tv

This must be what it looks like inside the Enterprise when it goes to warp.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

So, they take the photo and then shop it to make the room look bigger? So you end up with a TV as wide as a large couch?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
That's just an obnoxiously wide angle lens. Without it, interior shots can look more claustrophobic than the room actually is, but they can also distort a lot.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

So, like a 28mm?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

colas posted:

So, like a 28mm?

No, like <20mm on a full frame. 14 -24 is the go to for interiors but that photographer is bad and put elements of the rom near the lens leading to more exaggerated effects.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

An excellent day at a car boot sale.

A Praktica MTL5 with a bunch of lenses and a Minolta AFZ point and shoot for $10 and $1 respectively:

And 2 pairs of 8x30 binoculars, one from Soviet Russia with the original carry case. $3 and $10.

Been on the lookout for good binoculars for my wife and I to go birding with, so I'm very happy!

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Treated myself to a new shirt from Online Ceramics

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I'm assuming that is some kind of ironic hipster brand because it looks like something you'd pick up from goodwill for $1.00 plus tax to wear while painting to protect your real clothes from paint splatter.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hipster brand. I looked at the website and the only physical locations to buy them are one store in Los Angeles and one in Tokyo.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have a wireless Vizio soundbar setup I really like. Just having a sub makes a big difference. My only complaint is the volume adjustment isn't granular enough, so when watching at night it's either too quiet to hear some dialog, or oh poo poo my neighbors are gonna call the landlord on me.

You fuckers talked me into getting a 5.1 Vizio sound bar from Costco :argh:

After setting it up it's honestly not significantly better than the vintage wooden speakers from Goodwill + Yamaha amplifier I had :negative:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Glottis posted:

That's just an obnoxiously wide angle lens. Without it, interior shots can look more claustrophobic than the room actually is, but they can also distort a lot.

This. Also that's a half a million dollar condo in this godforsaken city so you need to make it look less tiny.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

OSU_Matthew posted:

After setting it up it's honestly not significantly better than the vintage wooden speakers from Goodwill + Yamaha amplifier I had :negative:

That's normal. Sound bars are designed to compete against the TV speakers and not real bookshelf ones.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Magic Underwear posted:

I'm assuming that is some kind of ironic hipster brand because it looks like something you'd pick up from goodwill for $1.00 plus tax to wear while painting to protect your real clothes from paint splatter.

They are absolutely not "ironic", whatever that might mean to you. The creators are huge fans of The Grateful Dead and are sincerely inspired by those vibes. Also if you can find shirts like that at your local Goodwill then please link me the address because I would seriously drive many miles to buy them!! I don't think you can though.

I also bought a Sticker Hat. Really excited.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

friendly 2 da void posted:

Treated myself to a new shirt from Online Ceramics

Jesus dude take it off the wire hanger unless you want to gently caress the shoulders up with pulls

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

OSU_Matthew posted:

For forever i would buy computer speaker sets and hook them up to my TV and that's ok, but more recently started getting into powered studio monitors and have no clue why people waste money on anything else, not even expensive and sound divine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

For forever i would buy computer speaker sets and hook them up to my TV and that's ok, but more recently started getting into powered studio monitors and have no clue why people waste money on anything else, not even expensive and sound divine.
Which computer sets did you have and what monitors do you have now?