Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

You probably already have tons of money in minerals and resources, not to mention cookable meal potential; I'd sell some of it and keep the rest for clothing upgrades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

jivjov posted:

I've finally started my new game of BotW on Switch...I'm imposing some rules on myself for this play through...I'm going to avoid most fast travel. If I mess up and fall off a cliff or something, I'll fast travel back up, but I'm not going to globetrot around the map like I did on Wii U. My exception will be the medallion.

I can understand this. I *think* I'm done with Gerudo desert now so this evening I went searching for Zora's domain. I went South East (whoops) thinking it was there and it wasn't until after activating a Sheikah tower I remembered I could just turn on the Find the Divine Beasts quest to get the markers on my map. I figured since I was in the South East I may as well open up some more of the map. I got lazy and began heading straight for towers as the crow flies and fast travelling back to a more central area to branch out. I kind of regret that because for the short time I was in each area I thought they looked like fun places to explore. I've unlocked Zora's Domain and spoken to the King. I think once I've got this area done (as far as I'm aware at the time) I'll be heading back for explorey fun in the south and south east regions before I go further north.

Question: Does the blood moon revive Guardians? I've been using them to practice my shield parry and hording ancient parts as they clearly will be important / of a value other than rupees later on in the game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zore posted:

There is a classic green tunic in the game... as a reward for beating all 120 shrines. Also its the original LoZ tunic so it looks goofy as hell.

If you want the OoT/TP/WW/SS outfit you need to use Amiibo.

The “Of The Wild” set isn’t the original Zelda 1 tunic. It’s a new one for this game. You can get the Zelda 1 outfit by scanning the 8bit Link amiibo.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Question: Does the blood moon revive Guardians? I've been using them to practice my shield parry and hording ancient parts as they clearly will be important / of a value other than rupees later on in the game.

Ya. It even revives the lil ones in combat shrines

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Bloodmoons reset everything, even stuff you are at. The only thing that might not reset is vendors with arrows if you have a ton.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

frodnonnag posted:

Bloodmoons reset everything, even stuff you are at. The only thing that might not reset is vendors with arrows if you have a ton.

They don't reset chests

They do reset weapons lying around in the open like the greatsword on top of the skull tower

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

This is definitely a thing you can do! When Blood Moons hit I would go on a bloody rampage, slaughtering Guardians for their shiny bits. :black101:

And yes your instinct is correct. Guardian bits are useful for things!

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Good about the blood moons! I've had several so far which all happened at the worst possible time but I'm looking forward to more Guardian hunting.

PureRok posted:

I took a break when I got to the bird people and needed to buy a whole outfit to go... somewhere, I don't remember. I just remember that it was a lot of money and I still haven't figured out how to make money easily in this game.

How do make money?

Also, is it true the only way to get a green tunic (besides dyeing something) is to use an amiibo? Because I've tried to avoid buying Nintendo peripherals, and I've been mostly successful since the NES Zapper.

1) When doing side quests I've taken meandering routes and made sure to pick up stuff on the way. Sparkly rocks in the terrain can be broken open with a sledge-hammer / drill weapon to obtain gem stones which are worth a decent amount of money and can be accumulated quickly. If you don't have the appropriate weapon, bomb power is a good substitute but be aware of a) bomb placement and b) surroundings as the explosion will project the loot away.

2) One of the green tunic sets can be obtained without digital beanie babies.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Fastest way to make money is to head to the tundra north of the SnowField Stable and hunt animals. Headshots with a bow work well but you can always just bomb them if you're quick. Then you just cook all the meat 5 at a time and sell the resulting food item.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

I don't exclusively make yellow heart meals and meals that use meat give tons of red hearts. Playing around with the cooking system is fun.

Also shout out to whoever mentioned a while back that you can use non bug ingredients in potions. I messed around with it a bit and it's perfect for making stuff that lasts a good while with a decent amount of kick to it without resorting to boring 30 minute meals and the grinding that involves. They also seem to double the time of non bug ingredients when you do it, I need to play around with it a bit more though.
Yeah that was me who mentioned that. I also love playing around with the cooking but I will never make meals which restore hearts as their only function. Being able to drop just a single hearty whatever into the pot for a full heal is too convenient for me to not use. And if i'm making something else I'll just stack that effect.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Trip report: Clive is resting in the stable. Brian is* our new noble steed. Brian is a loving idiot who managed to jump off a bridge in Faron onto an island two metres away and refused to jump back onto the bridge, which was at the same level as the mini island.

Brian is dead. Rodney has taken his place.

*was

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Trip report: Clive is resting in the stable. Brian is* our new noble steed. Brian is a loving idiot who managed to jump off a bridge in Faron onto an island two metres away and refused to jump back onto the bridge which was at the same level as the mini island.

Brian is now dead and Rodney has taken his place.

*was

Brian doesn’t have to stay dead if you have formed an attachment to him, you know.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Brian can get tae gently caress

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Quick tip on the aforementioned selling apples to the honeymoon wife in Rito for money: if you have Revali’s Gale you can use that to pick apples (or any tree fruit) easily by being under a fruit tree, squatting to start the gale for a second, then cancelling the gale by standing up again. The fruit will fall to the ground. This makes things quicker instead of climbing each tree and picking the fruits one by one. This is especially helpful at the apple orchard at Satori where iirc you can get around 200 apples.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

When i need to pick fruit i just chop the tree down

you can never have enough wood in this game, you need like 200 for tarrey town

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

Fastest way to make money is to Get yourself a Teensy 2.0 and run the automated bowling simulator.

Or just do it yourself. It isn't too difficult once you find your sweet spot to bowl :colbert:

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Quick tip on the aforementioned selling apples to the honeymoon wife in Rito for money: if you have Revali’s Gale you can use that to pick apples (or any tree fruit) easily by being under a fruit tree, squatting to start the gale for a second, then cancelling the gale by standing up again. The fruit will fall to the ground. This makes things quicker instead of climbing each tree and picking the fruits one by one. This is especially helpful at the apple orchard at Satori where iirc you can get around 200 apples.

I just use bombs and go to town there (plus the kids love it)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/tristanacooper/status/1009651363171782657?s=21
I knew about how a piece of Zelda 2 was supposed to represent Zelda 1 but never even thought about this.:eyepop:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I don't see it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

b_d posted:

I don't see it

You're blind. It's clearly a very similar layout.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

well, poo poo.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://twitter.com/tristanacooper/status/1009651363171782657?s=21
I knew about how a piece of Zelda 2 was supposed to represent Zelda 1 but never even thought about this.:eyepop:

drat, the Witch's 5,000 ft plot of land became overrun with several acres of forests and an enormous lake

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The rivers don't even slightly match and there's an entire lake with two big islands in it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's not to scale. Jeez.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

the river on the right is honestly the only similarity I see. also they both have a graveyard in different places on the left.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
i can tell by the pixels

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Eh, they're only somewhat similar, but even fairly major terrain features DO change over the course of a couple hundred years. Which, isn't that supposed to be roughly the time frame between these games? Hundreds of years?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Backhand posted:

Eh, they're only somewhat similar, but even fairly major terrain features DO change over the course of a couple hundred years. Which, isn't that supposed to be roughly the time frame between these games? Hundreds of years?

LTTP is supposed to be like 1000s of years before the original game.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

And yet, WW is only supposed to be 100 years after OoT/the battle right after it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I don’t think the topography is supposed to line up at all, it’s just to justify why LoZ takes place in a barren lovely wasteland

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The secret to understanding Zelda continuity is to think of each game as a liberal interpretation of the "true" canon, cavalierly changing any detail that might make it easier to understand and enjoy as a self-contained product.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I've always interpreted the Zelda games to be "re-tellings" of the same story, and the games that are connected to each other are explicitly connected, like ALBW and LttP.

Otherwise who loving cares, the games themselves sure don't.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Coughing Hobo posted:

I've always interpreted the Zelda games to be "re-tellings" of the same story, and the games that are connected to each other are explicitly connected, like ALBW and LttP.

Almost every game is explicitly linked to the others though. A recurring motif is about how they're carrying on a long-standing tradition of heroes past.

Pretending that most have nothing to do with each other always seemed really asinine to me tbh.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Coughing Hobo posted:

Bongo Bill posted:

The secret to understanding Zelda continuity is to think of each game as a liberal interpretation of the "true" canon, cavalierly changing any detail that might make it easier to understand and enjoy as a self-contained product.

That only works if you imagine each game being a story told by a group of senile old men sitting around a poker table.

“The great hero saved us all by obtaining the master sword in a forest! Then he traveled to the dark world, where Ganon's power reigns supreme!”
“No that’s not how it goes you old fart, the real tale is how the princess gave him a magic instrument! Then he locked himself in a temple for ten years! Or did he run off to another country? I forget...”
“No you’re all wrong! The country was flooded! Flooded I tell you! And there were talking birds!”

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Wrist Watch posted:

That only works if you imagine each game being a story told by a group of senile old men sitting around

you've described thousands of years of human oral history

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bonus points if you interpret it as propaganda designed to prop up a particular social order, which would later be supplanted by a different propaganda without regard for consistency.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Coughing Hobo posted:

2 is explicitly a sequel to 1, lttp is explicitly a prequel to those, and OoT is explicitly a prequel to lttp, and several games are explicitly sequels to oot.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like it when they do sequels that have you play as the same Link as a previous game like Link’s Awakening and Majora’s Mask.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I like Zelda Lore Chat because when it comes around there is always 50 pages of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like how angry people get about the timeline. Yes, it’s kinda lazy and wasn’t thought out ahead of time but it’s still fun to think about.