Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
If you're working 60 hours a week you should just quit anyway unless you're making absolutely insane amounts of cash. The economy is on fire right now, there is no better time to be looking for a job. Unemployment doesn't get this low without a shooting war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Murgos posted:

If mgmts plan is literally, “Eh, Ket will pick up the slack”, I would GTFO because anyplace that inept is going to have problems. Maybe there is a misunderstanding somewhere in the chain?

What I would do is take the expected work load and fit it to a schedule. Try and use previous work done to show as a basis for your estimates. Be as specific as you can, be sure to account for your other EE work as well.

It should be obvious how many hours are needed to complete that work. If it’s more than what you think is reasonable then take it to your boss and tell him/her that this appears to be a conflict and try and work it out.

Straight out of Compton? Nah.
Murgos straight out the DAU

I once was in this guys situation and said these are the tasks that will move right, these are the tasks on this list who will risk landing on the critical path.

That got me a loan in for like 6 months.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

If you're working 60 hours a week you should just quit anyway unless you're making absolutely insane amounts of cash. The economy is on fire right now, there is no better time to be looking for a job. Unemployment doesn't get this low without a shooting war.

I mean, I'm sitting at around 110k with OT (before taxes) in an area where median salaries are 30k. I feel like I'm doing ok.

Regarding getting additional personnel, it's just not going to happen. We're moving the factory to sustaining mode and are doing an attrition-based downsizing for all support functions until we hit our permanent manning levels.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Chillyrabbit posted:

My thoughts on work dress is I try to avoid wearing too casual clothes for work as when I'm at work, I'm working, and when I'm not working, I'm relaxing. It's hard to relax and hard to get into the work mindset if your casual clothes are your work clothes.

Ding ding ding! I think the psychological separation is important. Generally what I wear to work I’d feel comfortable wearing out to a bar, but there’s some shirts / pants in my closet I’ll never wear to work simply to create that barrier.

Kind of like when I do work at home, I don’t do any from my bedroom and try to keep it minimized on the couch.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Embedded Software Engineer, ~600 employees, stated company policy is business casual but managers can override it for their group. Most engineers wear jeans and tees since we're wearing ESD jackets in the lab anyway.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I like non-blue denim jeans because they more-or-less look like khakis but are still jeans.

But I don't wear blue jeans or tshirts in the office, even on casual days, for the aforementioned psychological reasons.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
My CEO (~$400m/yr 1600 employee company) wears jeans and a button down with a sport coat for customer/sponsor meetings so, good enough for him, good enough for me.

If I am doing a formal presentation (i.e. big proposal or CDR) to a room full of people I don't know I will generally go with a navy blazer and slacks for the first day of my presentation. I feel like I just want that extra layer of professionalism. If there is more than one day then I go back to jeans and a sport coat for the following days.

If I'm just in the office then it's polo or button down and jeans.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Okay good to know then that my experience is more typical than my colleagues. He’s the only one I know expected to wear a tie every day. To clarify tho he is participating in presentations and poo poo now so there is some reason to look professional I guess

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’m normally in a shirt and smart trousers. If I’ve got a meeting with external VIP’s then I’ll wear a tie and jacket.

But I’m not in manufacturing, I’m in Oil but pretty removed from the people actually drilling or producing the oil.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Oodles posted:

...smart trousers...

:suicide:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KetTarma posted:

I mean, I'm sitting at around 110k with OT (before taxes) in an area where median salaries are 30k. I feel like I'm doing ok.

Regarding getting additional personnel, it's just not going to happen. We're moving the factory to sustaining mode and are doing an attrition-based downsizing for all support functions until we hit our permanent manning levels.

110k as an engineer for 60 hours a week and more to come?? Pass.

People need to stop working more than 40 and as a result lining their bosses pockets... (I realize it will not happen, but when you all get to management try your best).

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’m in the U.K. I don’t know what else to call them. Dress trousers?

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

My manager is currently not wearing shoes.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Oodles posted:

I’m in the U.K. I don’t know what else to call them. Dress trousers?

Fair. We usually just call them slacks, dress pants, or suit pants. I just totally felt like some terrible trend was about to be coming, but it is already here. I was invited to something and the dress code was "smart casual", which is just awful.

Steve Jorbs posted:

My manager is currently not wearing shoes.

Why else do I have an office? :)

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Dress Pants would be odd in the UK.

Either it’s underwear that’s a dress and thus awkward to wear under clothes or it’s fancy underwear for wearing at formal occasions.

Although, I guess women do have formal underwear come to think of it.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

spwrozek posted:

110k as an engineer for 60 hours a week and more to come?? Pass.

People need to stop working more than 40 and as a result lining their bosses pockets... (I realize it will not happen, but when you all get to management try your best).

Yeah that’s a hard pass. I don’t care how low your CoL is, KetTarma, you’re getting way underpaid and way overworked.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Murgos posted:

Although, I guess women do have formal underwear come to think of it.

Ive got dress pants if I think I’m going to get lucky.

They’ve got penguins on them.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I'm expecting an offer for an 'intermediate' consulting engineering position, and am trying to find information on what I should be expecting salary wise. I'm going from a small town to a larger city within Ontario, Canada, and I really don't have a good reference - outside the feeling that I'm underpaid at my current position given the responsibilities involved (Lead engineer on custom system manufacturing projects - averaging >10 Mil / year in project value out the door, at a salary in the $60-70k range, with at minimum 35% of the sell price being direct profit after all expenses including building upkeep my salary etc. and working hours that frequently hit 50-60 hours per week.) Anyone know where I should be looking for general salary info?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

TrueChaos posted:

I'm expecting an offer for an 'intermediate' consulting engineering position, and am trying to find information on what I should be expecting salary wise. I'm going from a small town to a larger city within Ontario, Canada, and I really don't have a good reference - outside the feeling that I'm underpaid at my current position given the responsibilities involved (Lead engineer on custom system manufacturing projects - averaging >10 Mil / year in project value out the door, at a salary in the $60-70k range, with at minimum 35% of the sell price being direct profit after all expenses including building upkeep my salary etc. and working hours that frequently hit 50-60 hours per week.) Anyone know where I should be looking for general salary info?

Instant reaction to me regardless of living location is it (salary) is too low for the level of responsibility.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

movax posted:

Instant reaction to me regardless of living location is it (salary) is too low for the level of responsibility.

Even more so because it is Canadian Dollar. Go get more money.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

APEGA and APEGBC both have a huge salary survey pdf each year for market rate salary, but apparently the ontario equivalent needs you to pay for it? (Here) Maybe the summary has some info, but even still you can just look at Alberta's/BC's salaries and extrapolate from there?? (Here's Alberta's for example)

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Jyrraeth posted:

APEGA and APEGBC both have a huge salary survey pdf each year for market rate salary, but apparently the ontario equivalent needs you to pay for it? (Here) Maybe the summary has some info, but even still you can just look at Alberta's/BC's salaries and extrapolate from there?? (Here's Alberta's for example)

APEGA releases just a summary, you have to pay or participate in the study to get the detailed breakdowns. If he is registered in OPSE he can download their summary though.

Gut response from the APEGA summary is that he is making experienced EIT level money or new assistant/junior engineer money. Their salary's are around 50-70k

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Chillyrabbit posted:

APEGA releases just a summary, you have to pay or participate in the study to get the detailed breakdowns. If he is registered in OPSE he can download their summary though.

Gut response from the APEGA summary is that he is making experienced EIT level money or new assistant/junior engineer money. Their salary's are around 50-70k

That sucks for money. New grads are generally in the 55-70K range in the US (so like 70-90K Can right now).

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Thanks for the info guys. I'm still with the first company out of school (7 years!) and I've moved up into my current position through the ranks, but without the salary increases I'd expect (despite asking for them). Two interviews for a new job, and they've checked with my references which from what I know is the last step before an offer, and now I'll have info to negotiate with.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I was laid off from my first out of college engineering job, and the raise i got from my new job vs previous was more than all of my “merit” pay increases combined and compounded. Changing employers is a huge transaction cost, and your (everyones) company knows this.

Also, you should definitely negotiate whatever they offer you, even if its just a few thousand more and youd accept it. You can do it in a way that doesnt come off as “greedy”, check out the negotiation thread.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Yeah, I did get an offer and am in the process of negotiating it now. I did read through the negotiation thread, and based on my research countered at ~12% more than their offer. Will be happy and take any counter above 6% immediately, given the bump over my current position.

I should hear back today, so we'll see how it goes. My current employer (also where all my references are!) found out I was looking and offered a promotion and a raise, so I've got that to consider (and use as a negotiating chip) as well.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

TrueChaos posted:

Yeah, I did get an offer and am in the process of negotiating it now. I did read through the negotiation thread, and based on my research countered at ~12% more than their offer. Will be happy and take any counter above 6% immediately, given the bump over my current position.

I should hear back today, so we'll see how it goes. My current employer (also where all my references are!) found out I was looking and offered a promotion and a raise, so I've got that to consider (and use as a negotiating chip) as well.

Good luck! Just remember, you didnt magically become an a better engineer by putting in a job application, so how come only now your current firm is making it rain?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Anyone got advice on how be better at preempting decisions or outcomes? I’ve come from 8 years in operations, which is so reactionary. Now I need to be more “strategic” in my planning, and I need to try and condition myself to change my thinking?

I’ve spent a lifetime of dealing with the crocodiles closet to the boat, now I need to deal with the further away ones.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Oodles posted:

Anyone got advice on how be better at preempting decisions or outcomes? I’ve come from 8 years in operations, which is so reactionary. Now I need to be more “strategic” in my planning, and I need to try and condition myself to change my thinking?

I’ve spent a lifetime of dealing with the crocodiles closet to the boat, now I need to deal with the further away ones.

Plan to make operations really easy. DevOps is this applied to software. What industry are you in?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

Plan to make operations really easy. DevOps is this applied to software. What industry are you in?

Oil and Gas. I’ve moved out of ops and into a more projects/corporate role.

I’m struggling with the forward planning, I.e more than just a 1 week look ahead, more like 1 month/6 month what decisions need to be made now, so we don’t get in bad situations then.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Make whoever approves CapEx your new BFF

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Oodles posted:

Oil and Gas. I’ve moved out of ops and into a more projects/corporate role.

I’m struggling with the forward planning, I.e more than just a 1 week look ahead, more like 1 month/6 month what decisions need to be made now, so we don’t get in bad situations then.
I just made the opposite move because I struggle with multi-year timelines too. Definitely a different skill set.

Figuring out how things are approved/funded is the most important part. Getting ops on board that your project is actually good for them is the second most important. Hopefully your experience and relationships with ops will make that part easier.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Tnuctip posted:

Good luck! Just remember, you didnt magically become an a better engineer by putting in a job application, so how come only now your current firm is making it rain?

The offer came back at 11% over their initial, so I start there in 3 weeks!

spf3million posted:

Figuring out how things are approved/funded is the most important part. Getting ops on board that your project is actually good for them is the second most important. Hopefully your experience and relationships with ops will make that part easier.

One of the biggest things I learned doing system design is that if the operator is happy the system will run well. You can have the most fantastic system in the world, but if the operators aren't happy it's going to run like poo poo. I have changed chemical dosing controls from direct PID control based on measured values (i.e. sodium bisulfite dosing into an RO system to knock out chlorine, based on ORP measurements) back to simple flow pacing with operations setting the dosing rate on a per gallon basis, because the operators didn't like that the dosing wasn't directly proportional to flow at whatever they wanted to set it at.

We discussed the increase in associated chemical costs with the customer, but they were also fine with paying more in chemicals to keep operations happy. :v:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
You could design the best system in the world but if the operators either don't understand it or refuse to use it right because they don't like it, misoperation can nerf your benefit calculation with one incident that disrupts production.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

spf3million posted:

You could design the best system in the world but if the operators either don't understand it or refuse to use it right because they don't like it, misoperation can nerf your benefit calculation with one incident that disrupts production.

"Refuse to use it right because they don't like it"? Isn't this something you could, you know, fire someone for?

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
Is there any civil eng rail bois in here? Is it worth getting a minor in rail? I didn't really expect my degree going in that direction, but it sorta worked out where I can grab it if I want.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Shipon posted:

"Refuse to use it right because they don't like it"? Isn't this something you could, you know, fire someone for?

It's not really refusal, just wilful ignorance on the part of the operator. If it is difficult then they "forget" to use it properly, and you end up getting calls at 2am because "I know the display says I should abort but I don't want to recreate the recipe".
Short of ruining equipment because of it, I haven't seen an operator fired for wilful ignorance.

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vaporware posted:

It's not really refusal, just wilful ignorance on the part of the operator. If it is difficult then they "forget" to use it properly, and you end up getting calls at 2am because "I know the display says I should abort but I don't want to recreate the recipe".
Short of ruining equipment because of it, I haven't seen an operator fired for wilful ignorance.

This person speaks the truth. I’ve made the mistake of coming up with many interesting solutions. Interesting doesn’t mean much if an operator on his 3rd straight week of OT work from a different area can’t figure things out for less effort than a phone call.

I keep it bulletproof simple these days and expend most of my inventiveness on failure recovery. People are going to find ways to gently caress poo poo up anyways, but if you can restart something and it recovers gracefully it just becomes a note for shift change not an emergency.

PS: Not dragging on OPs, those people work long hours, rotating shifts, for junk pay and can really know the process. A good operator advocate on each shift can make or break adoption.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

VanguardFelix posted:

A good operator advocate on each shift can make or break adoption.

This is good advice regardless of if youre making some software tool or a physical thing. And you can get that advocate by making an operator feel important by asking for their input before you build/finish the thing. Note: If you work in a machine shop you will hear about how "engineers dont know ___." (Very possibly true) After that they will help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Working with machinists is how I learn the most as a designer. It helps with designing things that can actually be made and they have seen plenty of failures, so they have the experience to tell you if something will work.

I've had to do some assembly work this year and I apologize to everyone who had to implement my hose routings over the years.

Edit: also, bring donuts.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 26, 2018