Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Agrikk posted:

I got it running on a Frankenstein box with a drop in Jaz Jet SCSI adapter on Windows 98 (weeee!) and I found a drive with all my operating notes from 1994 and they are hilarious.

:siren: :justpost: :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Seriously. I can pretend to be normal for long enough to get through meetings, I can make myself presentable for Skype interviews. I’ll even wear pants.

I probably wouldn’t be qualified.
Re: Working in IT 3.0: I’ll even wear pants

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Am I the only weirdo that prefer working in the office?

But yes, yes I do hate the morning commute but I hate conference call bingo so much more...

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Tab8715 posted:

But yes, yes I do hate the morning commute but I hate conference call bingo so much more...

No

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Yes. Who conference calls? Zoom me.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

jaegerx posted:

Zoom me.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Tab8715 posted:

Blizzards don’t count?

Anyhow, I’d say Detroit is apart of the Rust Belt.

Michigan doesn’t even get blizzards as intensely as other northern states.

Detroit is the heart of the rust belt, imo, western pa/ny to milwaukee. Generally a subset of the Midwest but not as midwestern in the way Indiana, Iowa or Minnesota is.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

No, I love working in an office surrounded by people. I could never work from home, I'd go insane and get horribly depressed.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

jaegerx posted:

Yes. Who conference calls? Zoom me.

Who wastes time staring into a camera? Whenever someone sends me a Zoom meeting I just dial in with my phone. Then I can keep doing fifty tasks while the call does whatever it does and I chime in where necessary.

...also because while I COULD use my headset, which is actually a professional headset mic plugging into an XLR-USB audio interface (although technically I could use the Savi since it's also plugged into the computer), I'd rather just use the phone and not have voice going through my machine in case I need to restart or something weird. Also because I still think VOIP voice quality is better over our SIP trunk, though I have no actual data to back that up so basically I'm just being :cloud:

But also the real answer is avoid all meetings.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Wait I started a Detroit derail? I just picked it as a lovely city with a low cost of living and you can go visit Canada for weed.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'm ambivalent about either, but I'll usually go to the office just for the chat and to pretend that I understand anything about various sports.

Update on my own personal hell: I was informed that I will be having an exit interview next Tuesday along with the NA. Guess they'll run everything from corporate now or something.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have a family, wfh give me the flexibility to work on a project for a couple hours, hang out with my son, take a meeting, eat lunch, do some more work, whatever.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sometimes slack isn’t enough. Occasionally I gotta see your screen and face. I don’t mind it cause I still you know shower and put a shirt on in the mornings. I still wear pajama pants or sweat pants but they’re daytime pants. Not sleeping pants.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

jaegerx posted:

I don’t mind it cause I still you know shower and put a shirt on in the mornings. I still wear pajama pants or sweat pants but they’re daytime pants. Not sleeping pants.

Ah I found your problem.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I actually just got a hot tub installed on my patio. I throw some ice in it and let the jets run in cool while I have my laptop on the counter so I can still work.

This is my life now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

I actually just got a hot tub installed on my patio. I throw some ice in it and let the jets run in cool while I have my laptop on the counter so I can still work.

This is my life now.

send pics

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Make sure you’re naked in the hot tub in the pix.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

It’s
Coming
Home

I haven’t forgotten.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Last time I had to send pics to this thread it was the red hat tower bathrooms. They were glorious though.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

jaegerx posted:

Wait I started a Detroit derail? I just picked it as a lovely city with a low cost of living and you can go visit Canada for weed.

Detroit isn’t a lovely city though :(. Traffic sucks but things have been changing and there is growth. I know the Illitchs have been pouring money in to developments, google is opening offices there, Ford is redeveloping a major property, and a number of non-automotive businesses are located there including Little Caesar’s and Quicken Loans.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

You can also buy a house for literally $10,000 or less

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jaegerx posted:

Medical marijuana is legal in Michigan now so great weed is everywhere.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

CLAM DOWN posted:

No, I love working in an office surrounded by people. I could never work from home, I'd go insane and get horribly depressed.

:same:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Daylen Drazzi posted:

The last couple weeks have been mentally tough for me. Not a day hasn't gone by when I don't come home feeling demoralized and depressed. Had a hard time trying to process why I was feeling that way since apparently I'm doing really well. According to my friend (who's worked for this company for 25 years) I'm doing a fantastic job - I walked in the door and within just a few days I'm hammering project tasks into submission. A little over three months in and I've written a script to remediate Linux servers to over 96% compliance of DISA STIG requirements for machines in classified environments, and the script does it in 3-5 minutes. I'm also apparently the only person who knows how to even remediate servers. On my team I was responsible for writing a Kickstart to provision these servers, and I've solved a number of very difficult technical issues that threatened to derail a couple big projects. I've built an ACAS server. I've documented the poo poo out of processes and written up a number of project documentation papers that have been well-received by customers on the two projects I'm assigned.

So it's been something that's depressed me even further trying to figure out why I felt this massive lack of confidence. And then last night while discussing things with my friend it hit me - it's because our PM is a loving technical demigod who makes all us mere mortals feel inadequate regardless of what we do. On top of that, the guy is a workaholic and probably puts in 60-70 hours of billable time a week, while once I hit 40 hours I am gone (I'm also not allowed to work more than 40). My co-worker is a 28 yr old with an incredible technical acumen and could probably do everything I did if he wasn't busy working on his own stuff. Next week he and the PM are going out to a customer's site for a couple days to install and configure a bunch of the stuff we've spent the last month scrambling to put together, but because I don't have a TS yet I can't go, nor can I know anything about the project we've been working on aside from some of the parts that I've worked on (which isn't all that much in the overall scheme of things). On top of that, he's taking the technical lead on the project while the PM sits in the background ready to provide assistance.

Next month the two of them are flying out west for most of a week to do a site survey and inventory which, again, I can't help with. I feel like a third wheel and I know it's directly affecting how I interact with the PM and my co-worker and making me appear standoffish and reserved. I finally decided to break down a little and mention my concerns to my co-worker and I think that helped a lot, especially after he laughed and told me that our PM makes everyone feel inadequate, including him. He echoed something my friend said - "You do you. As long as you do your job you're okay." Something that works in my favor is that from Day One when I stepped in the door I've mowed down obstacles left and right and kept projects moving. It didn't take me weeks or months to get up to speed, or as my friend put it, "You jumped up off the couch and immediately started sprinting in the ultra marathon, whereas most new hires are just getting their shoes on."

I feel a little better, but it's still tough to get out of my head that I'm just slowing things down rather than providing positive contributions.

Didn't really have a purpose to this long drawn out post aside from writing out my thoughts, so my apologies if it doesn't seem very focused. If anyone has some suggestions on how to get out of this particular mindset please let me know. I enjoy the work, the challenge, the people, and the company, and I'd really hate for my negative thoughts to start having an impact on my work.

And then I read threads like this and feel like I'm a schlub lol. But really, working for someone who's that awesome is really a great thing - just push yourself to learn from them. If you are getting nothing but amazing feedback, be happy.
At my job, I keep having feelings of "why am I even here" - my boss is a smart bastard. But, well, every now and then I realize that me being here lets him do more of his stuff, and I've implemented a lot of poo poo to help smooth everything out. Automated deployments, upgrading PC's, even just handling a lot of the special projects that come in so he can focus on core things.

Don't compare yourself to others, just make sure you are kicking the asses you can kick.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

That is not, in fact, what sick time is for. And if you are in some locales (California, Seattle), they are in fact legally required to let you use your sick time to care for a family member.

EDIT: I'm just assuming you're in America, because I can't imagine this happening in a civilized country.

I just kind of lumped "PTO" term together. I get sick time, and I get vacation / personal days. I used my sick time for being sick and going to doctors' appointments, and I used my vacation days to handle our home transactions and get us moved into our new place. The day my wife got flown away to children's hospital was the last sick day I had, and the following week and change I was up there with her, and the 5 days following our 1.5 lb daughter's birth, were all unpaid as a result. I was just kind of complaining. I work for a school system in New York State. I was mostly complaining that we have this "sick bank" garbage that's for like if you're hospitalized or something, but I can't use it because I wasn't the one checked in to the hospital. If I'd NOT enrolled in the "Sick Bank" I would have had enough sick time to cover all the days I took and get paid.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Defenestrategy posted:

Eh wasn't all that complicated, I didn't have to deal with making policies. Auditor just sent my boss a list of technical questions and boss passed it on to me, "Did you make sure your employees took our five minute bs cyber security test? Are all passwords at or beyond the standard in this manual? Do you have an offsite backup at this standard? Can you give us a list of mission critical devices and software on your network?" Stuff like that.

My predecessor handled policies and my boss copied and pasted his answers to "What to do in case of data loss? Who and how to contact in case of data theft?" and apparently was good enough.

you really should stop underselling yourself

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kashuno posted:

you really should stop underselling yourself

Is there like a list out there of common tasks done by varying levels of IT dudes? I really have no idea what rates as complex in this field unless its something obvious like VDI creation work for large places or printer repair.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Defenestrategy posted:

Is there like a list out there of common tasks done by varying levels of IT dudes? I really have no idea what rates as complex in this field unless its something obvious like VDI creation work for large places or printer repair.

At 28k? Answering the door.

No skill helpdesk/customer support gig in buckhead paid 48k and we still had trouble finding people.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Printers! :argh:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

No, though for a different reason.

I have small children and it's loving impossible to do anything requiring concentration while they are home. If they weren't there, then I revert into an unhealthy proto-goon, existing in a hermitic fugue state only venturing out to empty the garbage or purchase supplies.

When I apply for jobs I will flat out tell people that I don't want to work more than 40% from home.

Though now I'm in manufacturing anyways so I get to go out to places more often and I prefer it that way. Feels like I actually did something real when my stuff makes a line go and physical things start moving. Helps make the whole work thing feel more fulfilling for some reason. Also I'd rather work with a cursing electrician over some desk driver/lawyer or whatever any day. Idk I'm weird I guess.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I find it easier to focus on work when I'm in the office. If I had a room available to be a home office maybe I would feel differently, but it's tough to sit on my couch and not just end up watching TV all day waiting for a ticket to come in.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I have small children and it's loving impossible to do anything requiring concentration while they are home. If they weren't there, then I revert into an unhealthy proto-goon, existing in a hermitic fugue state only venturing out to empty the garbage or purchase supplies.

This so much. My kids go to daycare 3 days a week, and my wife has them home the other 2. I flat out cannot work from home on days they're in the house too. I do have an office with a door, but it's not in a quiet or out-of-the-way area of the house so it doesn't really afford much concentration.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Historically my 2-year-old has respected my WFH time better than my wife has. But we recently sat down and had a discussion about, and it's been better for a few days now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tab8715 posted:

I barely have enough discipline to do actual work at work. If I were at home, I'd gently caress off constantly. Plus, I like to keep work, *at* work, not bring it home with me.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bullet journaling has helped me immensely at work in keeping focus on tasks. Sure there are distractions at the office but having a clear list of things I need to do for the day has helped so much for my productivity. I feel I get pulled every which way and then just break down eventually. One task at one time then move to the next.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

George H.W. oval office posted:

Bullet journaling has helped me immensely at work in keeping focus on tasks. Sure there are distractions at the office but having a clear list of things I need to do for the day has helped so much for my productivity. I feel I get pulled every which way and then just break down eventually. One task at one time then move to the next.

I just recently started doing this. I used to use Trello, but I'd find that I'd constantly forget to check it. Having a physical book on my desk has helped a lot.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

WFH isn't for everyone. I like it, but I'm used to being the remote guy anyway. Even when I was in the office I was the only IT guy for a thousand miles in any direction so it's not like I had that team camaraderie. Biggest thing is I get the time in my day back that I would have spent commuting. It's amazing what an extra 90 or 120 minutes of awake time gets you.

Dedicated space is a must for me though. When I'm in that space I'm at work. When I'm not, I'm at home. I don't often watch the kids either. They go to after school and summer care. The occasional school holiday is no big deal, but having them home all the time would be rough. My youngest asked me last week "Daddy, how do you make money just sitting there looking at stuff?"

Getting out of the house though, that can be rough. Some nights I just go walk around Walmart for an hour or two just to leave the house. I really need to start scheduling some breaks and just walking around the block or something. I've only put like 6,000 miles on my car in the last 18 months, but we tend to take my wife's car when we go out as a family.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Fool posted:

Historically my 2-year-old has respected my WFH time better than my wife has. But we recently sat down and had a discussion about, and it's been better for a few days now.

drat dog you were close to posting the situation on /r/relationships and then decided to open the relationship.

(seriously though, good for you)

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Is there anything better than finishing a project and closing down the 6000 browser tabs, 8 explorer windows, 12 notepad++ files, and 6000 more browser tabs in the window you forgot about?

So cathartic to annihilate those countless help articles because gently caress you i don't need help anymore bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

skipdogg posted:

Getting out of the house though, that can be rough. Some nights I just go walk around Walmart for an hour or two just to leave the house. I really need to start scheduling some breaks and just walking around the block or something. I've only put like 6,000 miles on my car in the last 18 months, but we tend to take my wife's car when we go out as a family.

May not be feasible every day, but whenever I work from home I always go out for lunch, gets me out of the house and feeling less like I just worked for 8 hours straight.