Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
On the subject of LPs of Pokemon games, I'm considering testing the waters about a Pokemon Stadium LP, especially an informative one that showcases just how crazy busted a lot of Gen 1 is. (I'm even considering going for 100%ing the game with only rentals, which was intended to be impossible.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Showcase LPs are always pretty cool, give it a go! The busted nature of Gen 1 gives it an unintentionally interesting depth.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
1. Why are you doing this to yourself

It was quite the surprise to see one of my posts in the previous Reborn LP thread put up there discussing what I found to be legit wrong with the game as someone who has never played it and immediately insulted. Considering that the first gym leader has multiple counters to bringing a ground type into the gym anyways (alongside everything else), I don't see what the problem would be with just letting someone catch a Geodude or the like before the gym to at least blunt *some* of the absurdity of the fight. Especially since that post and previous LP were back before Gen 7 mons were added into Reborn and thus the gym leader fight became even worse.

Between that and the suicide, I actually have decided to play this (as opposed to my previous opinion of it not being worth my time) but cheat like no tomorrow out of sheer spite. I say this as someone who beat Pokemon Clover fair and square, so my tolerance for stupid edgy crap is absurdly high to begin with. You're going to complain about me wanting access to literally any ground type at allto make your ridiculously overtuned terrible exploding bomb gym leader slightly less terrible to deal with? Fine, I'll bring Primal Groudon at your level 20 cap and watch it still go down because of how overtuned your fights are anyways. Most of the Uber tier stuff has poo poo for low level movepools anyways, so it wouldn't even be that much better anyways.

3. I know the opening post specifically said not to mention spoilers, but are spoilers related to a mod of Pokemon Reborn allowed?

Yes there's a mod of Pokemon Reborn, Pokemon Reborn Hardcore (a hard mode mod of Pokemon Reborn because it needed one somehow). And it somehow takes what just happened wrt the suicide a step further in an optional sidequest exclusive to the mod.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 22, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I feel like spite playing a game like this isn't going to make anyone happy.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Cheating would at least fix the issues regarding difficulty and lack of availability of anything even halfway remotely decent, plus it would be...interesting to see at what point the fights become so unfair that trying to brute force my way through with the most overpowered things in the franchise ceases to work.

You are right in that it wouldn't fix every other problem Pokemon Reborn has, so odds are I would just drive myself nuts anyways.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

On the subject of LPs of Pokemon games, I'm considering testing the waters about a Pokemon Stadium LP, especially an informative one that showcases just how crazy busted a lot of Gen 1 is. (I'm even considering going for 100%ing the game with only rentals, which was intended to be impossible.)

i am all for informative lps, especially ones breaking down the nonsense that is gen 1

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

I'd be so up for this, but you must show the minigames. It isn't Stadium without the minigames.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

I'd welcome this. I did a glitch exhibition a while back but I barely touched upon how weird the battle system is (though many of those bugs were fixed for Stadium).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'd be so up for this, but you must show the minigames. It isn't Stadium without the minigames.
And there'd better be an entire update dedicated to Sushi-Go-Round alone. :colbert:

(I'd be down for this too, mostly because it'd be interested to see Stadium done by someone who's not a 10 year old flinging poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks.)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

PMush Perfect posted:

:yeah:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

the Orb of Zot posted:

3. I know the opening post specifically said not to mention spoilers, but are spoilers related to a mod of Pokemon Reborn allowed?

Yes there's a mod of Pokemon Reborn, Pokemon Reborn Hardcore (a hard mode mod of Pokemon Reborn because it needed one somehow). And it somehow takes what just happened wrt the suicide a step further in an optional sidequest exclusive to the mod.

I am aware of the hard mode mod that, beyond being hard mode, includes its own story elements for some reason.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I am aware of the hard mode mod that, beyond being hard mode, includes its own story elements for some reason.

They wanted to make the story harder to endure.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

PMush Perfect posted:

Wasn't its battle system also basically built without the programmers having access to any of the code from Red/Blue? I remember being really frustrated that some things didn't work like they did on my gameboy

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

EclecticTastes posted:

They wanted to make the story harder to endure.

It's already this much normally, how do you make it worse? How can it be harder to endure than the suicide that gave us pages upon pages of goon disgust?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I wonder how the forum there is reacting to the universal disgust from people who are only slightly less broken than them, but I try to abide by a don't touch the poop rule.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, poo poo, that's a very positive response. Expect a Sandcastle post in the next few days.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's already this much normally, how do you make it worse? How can it be harder to endure than the suicide that gave us pages upon pages of goon disgust?

Well, they took the suicide to another level in a new sidequest exclusive to it.
Yes, it's somehow treated even worse than it already was. I'm not posting anything past that unless it's explicitly allowed by OFS, because it's just :magical:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Well, poo poo, that's a very positive response. Expect a Sandcastle post in the next few days.

:justpost:

Let's have LPs of all the Pokemon games!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Crosspeice posted:

You're only encouraging this so you won't have to do it :v:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

the Orb of Zot posted:

Well, they took the suicide to another level in a new sidequest exclusive to it.
Yes, it's somehow treated even worse than it already was. I'm not posting anything past that unless it's explicitly allowed by OFS, because it's just :magical:

I don't know why you want to talk about Corey's Haunter becoming a spirit of vengeance that blames the player character for his's death, but you can if you want.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't know why you want to talk about Corey's Haunter becoming a spirit of vengeance that blames the player character for his's death, but you can if you want.
Oh, wow. That's... uh...

If this was any other game but Reborn, I'd say you were obviously joking, but hey, Reborn. Apparently somebody decided this game needed more "dark and edgy".

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Good lord. If this is true, the subtext (intentional or not) would imply blame directed at all those who challenged and defeated the real-world Corey for his suicide, since the player character presumably represents the many assorted people that challenged the RP league. Granted, it's now two steps removed from the original context, but it just keeps getting worse.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I used to believe Major/Minor would be the worst writing I'd ever see in a video game, but now I don't know what to believe

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Commander Keene posted:

Oh, wow. That's... uh...

If this was any other game but Reborn, I'd say you were obviously joking, but hey, Reborn. Apparently somebody decided this game needed more "dark and edgy".

This is specifically about the Hardcore mod, which is like Reborn fanfiction.

It's not us, because

Corey doesn't have a Haunter in vanilla Reborn.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

This is specifically about the Hardcore mod, which is like Reborn fanfiction.
Yeah, I should have made it more clear in my post that I was talking about the mod.

It's not us, because

Corey doesn't have a Haunter in vanilla Reborn.
I wouldn't put it past the slipshod dev team to forget which Pokemon they gave a Gym Leader.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

inthesto posted:

I used to believe Major/Minor would be the worst writing I'd ever see in a video game, but now I don't know what to believe

I'd still give the edge to Major/Minor because I couldn't even make it through the first update of that toxic waste dump.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

inthesto posted:

Reborn's characters have, for better or worse, more distinct and consistent character voices, even without relying on gimmicks like Florinia's robot talk. The characters also aren't constantly swerving and double-crossing and deceiving for no reason other than the writer thought of a plot twist.

Reborn is bad across multiple axes, a multi-faceted offensive of bad writing, bad encounter design, bad mapmaking, etc. while M\M is a single, colossal, monumental failure at making a narrative.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, thought you meant Corey's ghost turned into a Haunter for a second, but that seems more like a Yamask thing. That's a point. There any edgy Yamasks in this game?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:wtc:

Crosspeice posted:

Sandcastle post is up!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yay! With Crosspeice on the mainline games and a couple spinoffs, Orange Fluffy Sheep suffering through horrible edgy fangames, and now PMush Perfect on Stadium, we have so much Pokemon at once. This is very good.

Unlike Reborn.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

McDragon posted:

Ha, thought you meant Corey's ghost turned into a Haunter for a second, but that seems more like a Yamask thing. That's a point. There any edgy Yamasks in this game?

Believe it or not, no, Yamask is just a boring-rear end random encounter.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yay! With Crosspeice on the mainline games and a couple spinoffs, Orange Fluffy Sheep suffering through horrible edgy fangames, and now PMush Perfect on Stadium, we have so much Pokemon at once. This is very good.

Now it's even harder for me to decide what to LP, Duelist of the Roses or the Pokemon TCG GB game?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I wanted to do a TCG GB L.P. a while back, but never got around to it after abandoning my Monster Hunter Battle Card L.P. due to getting hit by a lot of stress and sadbrains at the time.

So my vote goes to DotR if only because Pokemon is on my "one of these days" list, but if you do that one comprehensively, I can play out my tradition of only ever finishing challenge run LPs.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

I wanted to do a TCG GB L.P. a while back, but never got around to it after abandoning my Monster Hunter Battle Card L.P. due to getting hit by a lot of stress and sadbrains at the time.

So my vote goes to DotR if only because Pokemon is on my "one of these days" list, but if you do that one comprehensively, I can play out my tradition of only ever finishing challenge run LPs.

You could probably still do the first TCG game, I was thinking of playing only the sequel since I feel it's pretty much "The same, but better".

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hmm, this could work. If we each did one of the Ranger games then that would ease up a lot of workload.

Who's doing PMD: Gates to Infinity?

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Crosspeice posted:

Hmm, this could work. If we each did one of the Ranger games then that would ease up a lot of workload.

Who's doing PMD: Gates to Infinity?

Who would do The Worst PMD Game when they can do the far superior first two?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I love Pokemon Mystery Dungeon!

EDIT: I got one of the pokemon ranger games as a teenager but had to quit because I literally could not get past this one salamence. :(

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Epicmissingno posted:

Who would do The Worst PMD Game when they can do the far superior first two?

Or the immediate next. Honestly, playing any MD other than Sky and Super is something I wouldn't do now, simply because those two are so good in different ways.

Also I'd totally do Ranger, I love that series, but I can't imagine how you'd record it. Touchscreen controls in an emulator are hell. I guess a modded DS would work?

And I'd follow either Duelist of the Roses or TCG. The former is a game I started but quit, the latter is a game I played the first and was always interested in the second, so hey, either would be neat.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Or the immediate next. Honestly, playing any MD other than Sky and Super is something I wouldn't do now, simply because those two are so good in different ways.

Also I'd totally do Ranger, I love that series, but I can't imagine how you'd record it. Touchscreen controls in an emulator are hell. I guess a modded DS would work?

And I'd follow either Duelist of the Roses or TCG. The former is a game I started but quit, the latter is a game I played the first and was always interested in the second, so hey, either would be neat.

I think all 3 ranger games are on wii u's virtual console!

just not their special events

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
If anyone does a SMD LP, it needs to include every way you can break it over your knee with emeras & multi-hit moves. It's the most easily cheesed PMD since the Rescue Team games(where you could be basically invincible if you picked a starter that learned Smokescreen).