Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Also, can you even imagine how lovely life for the average person would be in Dark Sunxalted? Holy balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Antivehicular posted:

Also, can you even imagine how lovely life for the average person would be in Dark Sunxalted? Holy balls.
Everyone is different. No two people are not on fire. Awwwww.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I really feel like the 'everyone is miserable in Exalted' is kind of overstated.

Like, it's the Age of Sorrows, but it's not really worse than the real-world Bronze Age for your average human.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Zurui posted:

Yeah, what I'm going for is basically Voyage of the Dawn Treader meets Five Weeks in a Balloon. I don't want a grim hexcrawl, I want my players to undertake dangerous journeys to discover places and peoples previously unknown to them.

Strike! has rules and advice for journeys through wilderness in the Survival mini-expansion that work well for games where you travel through the wilderness, whether that wilderness is terrestrial, pelagic, or otherwise. So if you want to throw in some tactical combats with your voyaging, I've got you covered.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Hostile V posted:

In all honesty it could be a worthwhile idea but the notion of combining them makes me recoil in horror at the kind of mechanics you'd need to sustain it.

Hahah, I'm not actually too worried there. This whole idea came about because I was torn between trying to start up a playtest for my Badass Kung-Fu Demigods system or starting up a Dark Sun game...so obviously the solution is do both.

EDIT: If I wasn't so taken with Dark Sun's Bone Age aesthetic, I'd throw Mad Max into the mix too and have the wastelands filled with motorcycle bandits and S&M psychos with flamethrowers.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 21, 2018

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

I remember when the WotC Death Squads showed up to my door and demanded that I burn all my 3e books and then forced me to play 4e.

Same but I politely invited them over for dinner and a good 4e mini campaign, whereupon I gave them my 3e books.

Which was my distraction as my friends heisted their top secret 3e vault, and I now own all copies of 3e and sell them on the RPG black market for profit, split evenly between my friends and I.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

oriongates posted:

If I wasn't so taken with Dark Sun's Bone Age aesthetic, I'd throw Mad Max into the mix too and have the wastelands filled with motorcycle bandits and S&M psychos with flamethrowers.
I believe their original concept leaned in that direction, but like a lot of stuff with 2e they had a directive to not make it too different.

(It was also originally the vehicle for selling people the BATTLESYSTEM, which is itself almost forgotten.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Halloween Jack posted:

I believe their original concept leaned in that direction, but like a lot of stuff with 2e they had a directive to not make it too different.

(It was also originally the vehicle for selling people the BATTLESYSTEM, which is itself almost forgotten.)

Hahaha oh man, I owned a Dark Sun BATTLESYSTEM starter set. I think it was missing the instructions because I couldn't actually figure out how to play, and of course they sold miniatures separately so it wasn't really a game at all. I'd forgotten about it till just now, it was one of the hand-me-downs my uncle left to me when he switched editions.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 21, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I bought Gamma Knights, a Gamma World based wargame in a little boxed set, from a Toy Liquidators. It was full of references to Gamma World rules, so I couldn't really use it on its own.

The concept was pretty solid: sometimes people find still-functional suits of power armor, making them a one man army, and a complete nobody can become the center of a whole society this way. Gamma Knights tend to expand the base of people looking to them for protection until they come into conflict with each other.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Zurui posted:

Yeah, what I'm going for is basically Voyage of the Dawn Treader meets Five Weeks in a Balloon. I don't want a grim hexcrawl, I want my players to undertake dangerous journeys to discover places and peoples previously unknown to them.

Oh, yeah, I’m super excited for this idea. That’s what I wanted to do with my next campaign too. If I come up with anything I’ll tell you.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
http://cubicle7.co.uk/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-preview-characteristics/

Wew, this poo poo ain’t coming out in June. Also what’s with adding more dang characteristics

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

DalaranJ posted:

Oh, yeah, I’m super excited for this idea. That’s what I wanted to do with my next campaign too. If I come up with anything I’ll tell you.

I took a look at the rules for Ryuutama and I like...about half of it. The journey rules are great and the dragon stuff is cool but the character and combat rules are kind of an uninspired D&D-alike. You basically pick a Job which gives you noncombat bonuses and then a Class (Fighter/Rogue/Wizard).

I want my characters to be competent professionals, not farmers with a sword.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

SunAndSpring posted:

http://cubicle7.co.uk/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-preview-characteristics/

Wew, this poo poo ain’t coming out in June. Also what’s with adding more dang characteristics

It's literally verisimilitude. For you see, dwarves are not speedy creatures yet they craft such intricate things, so you can't just use dexterity and agility interchangeably for them - no, they have high Dexterity for crafting things, but low Agility for they are not the fastest race in the Old World!

Similarly, speed of mind and speed of body are two completely different things - to assume they're one and the same is simply heresy. so Agility can represent that speed of body but you see, only Initiative can reflect one's speed of mind.

...It's poo poo like this that makes one want to go DtAS.

The WHFRPG 2e system (and its successors, the 40k systems) already has an issue with ability score dilution/skill bloat as well as optimal ability scores/skills, but this doesn't do anything to address those issues (and of course, makes them worse).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The fact that characteristics explicitly have no upper bound also does not fill me with confidence in their system.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
I'm mentally trying to slot these into various categories based on other role-playing games I'm familiar with.

For example, World of Darkness's physical/mental/social split where they have a total of 9 attributes separated into 3 categories.

Physical: Weapon Skill, Ballistic Skill, Strength, Agility, Dexterity, Toughness
Mental: Initiative, Intelligence, Willpower
Social: Fellowship

It's not a very good fit. But it does make me think "jesus, there are a lot of physical stats, and two or three of them are dex". I get wanting to avoid making Dexterity a god-stat, as that's a pretty common occurrence (early WoD was particularly bad about this, if I recall correctly), but maybe the solution is getting fewer rolls to depend on it, rather than exploding it into a bunch of different components.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Shadow of the Demon Lord has four, and I'm iffy about having that many.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I don't post in this thread basically ever but I need to tell y'all

https://twitter.com/akerimcelik/status/1010172453098807296

the sequel to King of Dragon Pass just came out

it's here

it's alive

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Only on iOS unfortunately :(

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I can't find it anywhere!

I am in the UK and I can't get it! Ahhhhh!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It's not actually out. It's available for pre-order (should be out on Thursday 6/28).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Emy posted:

I'm mentally trying to slot these into various categories based on other role-playing games I'm familiar with.

For example, World of Darkness's physical/mental/social split where they have a total of 9 attributes separated into 3 categories.

Physical: Weapon Skill, Ballistic Skill, Strength, Agility, Dexterity, Toughness
Mental: Initiative, Intelligence, Willpower
Social: Fellowship

It's not a very good fit. But it does make me think "jesus, there are a lot of physical stats, and two or three of them are dex". I get wanting to avoid making Dexterity a god-stat, as that's a pretty common occurrence (early WoD was particularly bad about this, if I recall correctly), but maybe the solution is getting fewer rolls to depend on it, rather than exploding it into a bunch of different components.
D&D 5e's design philosophy is contagious.

Oh who am I kidding, this and 5e are just the industry returning to form.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

I don't post in this thread basically ever but I need to tell y'all

https://twitter.com/akerimcelik/status/1010172453098807296

the sequel to King of Dragon Pass just came out

it's here

it's alive

Goddammit, why am I seriously considering getting a goddamn ipad just for one stupid game.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Haystack posted:

Goddammit, why am I seriously considering getting a goddamn ipad just for one stupid game.

It should be coming out on Steam sometime in December IIRC.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Helical Nightmares posted:

It should be coming out on Steam sometime in December IIRC.

Android when?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Jimbozig posted:

Android when?

I think this is the most information we've got on release dates so far:

quote:

Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind comes to the iOS App Store on 28 June, with preorders starting 21 June. It will sell for US$ 9.99.

We’re currently developing the game for other platforms, and expect to release them next year.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So what's, like, happening in the TTRPG world? What kinds of things are being developed, what's the new hotness, and what's on the horizon? Last I checked, PbtA games were the big thing, but apparently that's a few years old already and people have been moving on from it. What now?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

So what's, like, happening in the TTRPG world? What kinds of things are being developed, what's the new hotness, and what's on the horizon? Last I checked, PbtA games were the big thing, but apparently that's a few years old already and people have been moving on from it. What now?

Have you heard of dungeons and dragons fifth edition??

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Also

https://sixages.com/blog/

quote:

Our plan is that Ride Like the Wind is the first in a series of six related games. You’ll be able to play them in any order, but the idea is that you can continue the story of a clan through the ages.

:neckbeard:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Pollyanna posted:

I don't really know if there's like a big trend or anything that's popped up lately. D&D is doing D&D things, Onyx Path is doing more stuff with the rebranded Chronicles of Darkness and I think the new edition of Scion is getting closer to release, there's been a bunch of Kickstarted games that are close to coming out or have recently been released (Unity, Legacy 2E, The Spire), LANCER is still in development but the creators are working on the next revision, etc.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Have you checked the recent game MyFarog? It's by a famous celebrity!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm slowly working my way through all the various 4E retroclones and derivatives I'm interested in playing.

I actually promised ages ago that I'd playtest Let Thrones Beware when I got a chance and I... well, at any rate, I haven't forgotten yet. :v:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
OSR as a movement is still chugging along despite various highs and lows

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

PbtA is still more or less the current indie big name. People haven't been moving on from it because all the Blades in the Dark hacks are still in development, and it's going to be a few more years until we get to see whether it catches on like PbtA did or if it's just something championed by a few people that won't get any traction past the Kickstarter campaign stretch goals.

Meanwhile, Wizards and White Wolf are busy dragging the hobby kicking and screaming back into its dark ages.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
GenCon looks to be chugging ahead with a lot of perfectly respectable supplements and expansions for existing games. Pathfinder 2e beta, Vampire 5e, and Invisible Sun seem like the high-profile launches, but I admit there could be something for a license or company I don't pay much attention to.

It's hard to predict the new indie hotness until it hits.

Oh, and in a vaguely related bit of schadenfreude, the Robotech license has been picked up already by Strange Machine Games for a variety of games: a board game, card game, and a... social... deduction game? (Really.) Oh, and a role-playing game in the further future. I got a flip-through of a rough draft of the RPG, and it feels very much like "publisher's first rpg", with a really average system and a too-clever-than-it-needs-to-be dice mechanic. You're rolling Xd6 and counting successes, where 1-3=0 successes, 4=0.5 successes, 5=1 success, and 6=2 successes. (Yes, rolling 4 is worthless unless you roll double 4s.)

Apparently the board game has been in dev for two ears, they were only recently able to obtain the license, but I was curious given there's barely been a month or two between Palladium losing the license and seeing demonstration-ready versions of most of these games. I can only presume they were poking Harmony Gold prior to that?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Harmony Gold cooperated with someone? Did they figure they can't copyright troll for a property they've rendered completely radioactive?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Harmony Gold is pretty cooperative with their licensees, I only heard largely positive things from one of the Palladium Robotech writers in working with them. That is, of course, completely divorced from issues like spurious lawsuits, copyright trolling, and alleged money laundering, but they seemingly aren't that hard to work with if you're handing them money.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The thing I'm half way through making a thread about because it should be big and no one's talking about it is the Sentinels of the Multiverse RPG. Kickstarter now scheduled for next month (the quickstart has been out for months) and it's basically Marvel Heroic Roleplaying 2e.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Something I don't quite get is why FATE point style narrative points don't seem to be seeing much traction outside explicitly FATE derived stuff. Especially as a balancing factor between exotics and mundanes in D&D-alikes and superhero games.

neonchameleon posted:

The thing I'm half way through making a thread about because it should be big and no one's talking about it is the Sentinels of the Multiverse RPG. Kickstarter now scheduled for next month (the quickstart has been out for months) and it's basically Marvel Heroic Roleplaying 2e.

Splicer posted:

Sentinels of the Multiverse is fun times, and they recently released an RPG set in their, uh, multiverse. No idea about the system or anything though.
:colbert:

Excited to hear more about it, please link when done!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Are they using the art from the cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

neonchameleon posted:

Haven't basically all their Kickstarters failed?