Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
This game is loving cool. Captures the deathmatch frenzy better than anything since Q3 / UT99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish the maps were just a little bigger. That one that's made of a bunch of vertical metal hexagons(I think?) stacked on top of each other with the goop pools is awful. The rooms are teeny tiny and it's not much fun.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Nanomashoes posted:

I think I love this game except when I play against keel, who just starts with heavy armor despite being a medium sized model and the cooldown on his grenades is negligible so he always just has 5. Guess I should get good but I just cant stand him.

I struggle hard against him. Even when he is freshly spawned I feel like I get one shotted because I don’t see his nades coming my way.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
How about a Goonhouse™ Saturday night?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I honestly love the game but I'm just really salty that the devs STILL haven't thrown in an option to remove abilities and stat differences for dumb purists like me, or even just a mode that forces mirror-match characters.

There remains a significant chunk of my friends list that refuses to touch the game because it "reeks of overwatch nonsense."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The purist gamemode is still on the roadmap, is it not?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Isn’t it already an option in custom games?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
You can disable abilities in costum games.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the abilities really arent that bad. its like each character was designed to counter one specific noob shortcoming

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Did the 10 ranked placements in 2 vs 2 and ended up with in silver 3. :boehner:

apostasy.
Feb 15, 2012
the game is good. hard to believe after trying it a year ago but it's true

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ChickenHeart posted:

I honestly love the game but I'm just really salty that the devs STILL haven't thrown in an option to remove abilities and stat differences for dumb purists like me, or even just a mode that forces mirror-match characters.

There remains a significant chunk of my friends list that refuses to touch the game because it "reeks of overwatch nonsense."

You could tell them that the abilities don't have that much impact, and to just not be dumb and try the game because it's free to pick up?

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Did the 10 ranked placements in 2 vs 2 and ended up with in silver 3. :boehner:

I don’t think the tier list has any actual meaning at this point.... silver 3 doesn’t translate to a meaningful concept for me at least. What rating number are you?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

You could tell them that the abilities don't have that much impact, and to just not be dumb and try the game because it's free to pick up?

I can’t believe people still do the whole “gross it’s overwatch ripoff” thing. Nothing like overwatch at all.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
This game is as far away from Overwatch for a modern game with abilities as you can get.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

can't wait for a CTF mode

do we know if there are plans for larger games than 4v4?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Disabling abilities still leaves passives on so just have both people play quake guy and pretend it's still 1999.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nanomashoes posted:

Disabling abilities still leaves passives on so just have both people play quake guy and pretend it's still 1999.

You mean Sorlag

I love playing as ranger but sorlag has the real bunny jump.

lets burn
Nov 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Kitchener posted:

This game is as far away from Overwatch for a modern game with abilities as you can get.

I was so tired of Overwatch propellers...

Overwatch guns don't shoot straight.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

cougar cub posted:

I don’t think the tier list has any actual meaning at this point.... silver 3 doesn’t translate to a meaningful concept for me at least. What rating number are you?

1166 apparently, I don't think the ranked modes are doing a great job of putting people together yet though. My last few 2 vs 2's have been;

https://stats.quake.com/profile/rednecked%20crake/matches/4553c486-772d-11e8-87c6-0003ffb80003

20-0 with a team-mate going 30-8, enemy team would just try to run at you with machineguns sometimes.

https://stats.quake.com/profile/rednecked%20crake/matches/b7f77be0-772a-11e8-87c6-0003ffb80003

27-20 with a 12-31 duder against a team who seemed to know what they were doing.

https://stats.quake.com/profile/rednecked%20crake/matches/330cdb24-7637-11e8-87c5-0003ffb6d5b1

33-0 with a 17-11 duder against a team who apparently have never touched an FPS before (?).

Still, it's fun when matches are close.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Still, it's fun when matches are close.

actually went in to triple over time a few days ago, confirmed, its very fun

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Played against a 2 vs 2 team and their bottom fragger had a score of -4 kills / 33 deaths, felt bad for the other guy.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Played against a 2 vs 2 team and their bottom fragger had a score of -4 kills / 33 deaths, felt bad for the other guy.

was it a bot?

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

That's the main issue I see with newcomers... it's going to be so demoralizing they just won't keep playing.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I don’t know why the new people are so eager to jump into ranked games. Maybe there should be a level requirement to force them to play unranked longer.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

If you think ranked is like overwatch then it should technically put you with players around your skill level... good reason to jump into it right away.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

cougar cub posted:

If you think ranked is like overwatch then it should technically put you with players around your skill level... good reason to jump into it right away.

That makes sense. What do you think about the unranked modes having the hidden mmr though? Should we keep that or drop it?

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

If there is a hidden MMR there aren’t enough players for it to matter *shrug*

cougar cub fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 25, 2018

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Social Animal posted:

That makes sense. What do you think about the unranked modes having the hidden mmr though? Should we keep that or drop it?

An argument for keeping it is that you won't run into wild stomps on either side with such a mixed bag, even though that's pretty much how oldschool FFA was done forever, it can be a turnoff for people expecting even matches. Removing it could be problematic for the casual class of players if there's a full group of really good players who just want to stomp people and play easy games. While this was only marginally harder to do in a time when groups weren't a thing (you just gave your friends the server name or IP), it would be easier now since getting into a game with a group is very streamlined.

An argument for removing hidden mmr from unranked modes is that it's more of a mixed, varied bag, and while it can potentially be a landslide either way, I personally feel far more engaged if I don't keep running into the same people in unranked games. Hidden MMR is basically just secret matchmaking in most games today, and I personally hate its existence and given the choice between the two, I feel just as much pressure as ranked, so I'd rather play that if unranked had hidden MMR too. It also makes playing with friends a lot harder than if you just jump into a game with people dogpiling in, and I always hate the knowledge that I'm dragging my friends into a game that's guaranteed to be incredibly hard for them.

While personally I hate hidden mmr, I feel I wouldn't be doing my duty as an old guard competitive veteran if I didn't play devil's advocate. I won't pretend to know the best choice for everyone, but I will share my views for and against.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'm of the mind that people don't get better not playing against people better than them. Look at Fortnite. It has no MMR system and people have gotten vastly better as the game has gone on and stuck to it. COD fans hate any MMR system. Battlefield is the same. I'd says all MMR does is make sure to bore your player base and make games are unfun grinds like LOL, Overwatch, and Dota 2.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The idea behind a system like that though is to make it so you are pitted against better players, but with a slower more wobbly curve so that they're not too much better while also still being demonstrably so.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Man the solo ranked mode where you have to pick 3 champions is bad and dumb. Only thing about this I don't like.

Guess I'll stick to FFA unranked and ranked 2v2 then

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Personally I like the whole "best of 5" format as opposed to the old "10 minutes, most frags wins" format. I'd be okay if they changed it so you only had one character throughout all of it, though.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

RBX posted:

I'm of the mind that people don't get better not playing against people better than them. Look at Fortnite. It has no MMR system and people have gotten vastly better as the game has gone on and stuck to it. COD fans hate any MMR system. Battlefield is the same. I'd says all MMR does is make sure to bore your player base and make games are unfun grinds like LOL, Overwatch, and Dota 2.

Constantly getting shitstomped by old head quakers made Reflex exhausting and I found that game way more fun on a base gameplay level than QC. I know QC isn't quite as niche as that game but I don't think it's really comparable to something like COD either, which has an incredibly massive playerbase (= more baddies for other baddies to play) and doesn't let better players leverage their skill difference nearly as well as Quake. From what I've heard the level of play within given mmr brackets has risen a ton over the lifetime of dota 2, though I don't personally play.
I honestly don't care that much about improving at this point in my gaming life though tbh I just wanna have a fun time jumping around shooting at other bads and not getting 0-50'd on aerowalk.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Also I'm not gonna argue about the quality of gameplay in games like Overwatch and Dota but I don't think matching pros against people who've played 5 games would suddenly make them more fun for anyone involved.

e; maybe the best solution to this is to just have an invisible mmr matchmaker and community servers for people that want that experience (i'd certainly like the option) instead of trying to have unranked matching replace that experience.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I've always been in favor of having the option of an old school server browser. Battlefield has both.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

A good COD player can shut a room down just as hard as a good quake player. I'd love for dedicated servers to become the norm again.

If you're going 0-50 in any game I don't think any amount of hand holding will help unless you get better.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The problem of the game is easy: the skill ceiling is super high. That means it needs a good amount of players so each type of player can play with a group of other players of similar skill.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

The problem of the game is easy: the skill ceiling is super high. That means it needs a good amount of players so each type of player can play with a group of other players of similar skill.

Correct.

Also having a high skill ceiling is important for competitive games.

What Quake Champions needs is to get popular with streamers so people can watch people play and realize what they're not doing right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Just finished the 1v1 Duel ranked calibration thing. Got the "Silver Tier 3" thing. (edit-- 1165)

I'm playing in that horrible purgatory where the only people I can win against are the new people and the second they learn how item timings work I get destroyed. in other words i am bad

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 25, 2018