Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Lmao at people ITT joking about needing to explain KC to people in the inevitable anime thread, only for people to start explaining here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wish Diego Brando's stand was named after King Crimson's Dinosaur and not Scary Monsters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZASr6Chpey8

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think maybe seeing KC in motion might better illustrate its powers. I think it's kind of a confusing thing to portray in a comic.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Johnny Joestar posted:

maybe one day we'll be free of the dumb memes where people act like trying to comprehend it is akin to deciphering notes from the zodiac killer or some poo poo
it literally was tho. All the og Part 5 translations came with explanations from the bad translators trying to explain what King Crimson did, usually contradicting each other

Expect My Mom posted:

tbf, there are multiple posts of me itt asking how Bites the Dust works cause I really didn't get it until I saw the anime

thing freaking comes out of nowhere man
just remembered i had to read Duwang scans for the last two volumes of Part 4 so that probably explained why i didnt get it

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I just defer to this whenever I need an explanation about the time stands.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The problem with most KC explanations is they fail to also explain Epitaph, which is necessary for KC to work.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
lil angry head sees into the future

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
King Crimson's signature ability is to erase a given frame of time lasting up to 10 seconds,[5] starting from the instant the ability is activated.[6][4] "During" this period of time, other people will be unable to experience anything that happened[6] and will retain no memories of it either.[6][7] After the allotted time frame, they will suddenly find themselves in the situation they were supposed to be afterwards.[4][6] There is, however, one instance where a person was able to see their double before finding themselves in their future position.[6]

On the other hand, Diavolo remains fully conscious during the erased time and only he can re-adjust his actions.[7] Diavolo sees the erased time as a void filled with juxtapositions of what would have happened during this period in a fashion akin to Nude Descending a Staircase, allowing him to think out the next best action

e: lol i forgot that Epitaph's futures are displayed through Diavolo's bangs that he has to look through

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Epitaph seems to be something Araki added after realizing that King Crimson shouldn't be nearly as effective if Diavolo was just fast-forwarding blind.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Funky Valentine posted:

Epitaph seems to be something Araki added after realizing that King Crimson shouldn't be nearly as effective if Diavolo was just fast-forwarding blind.

iirc, diavolo gave doppio access to it for a short time once

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Condiv posted:

iirc, diavolo gave doppio access to it for a short time once

He also gave it to Bruno for some reason?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Expect My Mom posted:

King Crimson's signature ability is to erase a given frame of time lasting up to 10 seconds,[5] starting from the instant the ability is activated.[6][4] "During" this period of time, other people will be unable to experience anything that happened[6] and will retain no memories of it either.[6][7] After the allotted time frame, they will suddenly find themselves in the situation they were supposed to be afterwards.[4][6] There is, however, one instance where a person was able to see their double before finding themselves in their future position.[6]

On the other hand, Diavolo remains fully conscious during the erased time and only he can re-adjust his actions.[7] Diavolo sees the erased time as a void filled with juxtapositions of what would have happened during this period in a fashion akin to Nude Descending a Staircase, allowing him to think out the next best action

e: lol i forgot that Epitaph's futures are displayed through Diavolo's bangs that he has to look through

Buccelati was also hit during the skipped time when he also saw himself. That's the main reason King Crimson is so confusing, it contradicted itself a lot in its initial fight.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

The part that's unclear to me is the extent to which Diavolo interacts with things during the skipped time. Is he intangible during the skipped time?

Bruno seeing himself is also confusing, although there is at least a possible explanation that makes sense to me (Diavolo lending Bruno Epitaph to confuse him).

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Man I kinda wish KC was just the timeskip because it's dumb as poo poo with or without the superstrength. Then again we wouldn't have had that brutal as gently caress scene of him chopping through Bruc's shoulder and chest in a single blow.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I just love that had to invoke Nude Descending A Staircase to get the point across

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

You know, I was gonna start trying out my evil misleading KC explanations with a good ol' reference: "This is how King Crimson works: imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff"

But then I realized I just basically described the start of JoJolion

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The problem with most KC explanations is they fail to also explain Epitaph, which is necessary for KC to work.

If KC can skip ten seconds into the future then being able to see ten seconds into the future is a necessary sub-power. Epitaph is just that part of KC.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
KC is much more sensible if you forget about the first time it is used. Afterwards it is pretty consistent about doing basically 2 things: making Diavolo see a few seconds into the future, and erasing everyone's memory of the past few seconds except his own.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dragonwagon posted:

KC is much more sensible if you forget about the first time it is used. Afterwards it is pretty consistent about doing basically 2 things: making Diavolo see a few seconds into the future, and erasing everyone's memory of the past few seconds except his own.

Yeah, thinking of it as erasing other peoples memory is far more sensible (and is as consistent with how it's shown to work as the actual explanation).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Momomo posted:

Buccelati was also hit during the skipped time when he also saw himself. That's the main reason King Crimson is so confusing, it contradicted itself a lot in its initial fight.

I don't think he was. Diavolo just repositioned himself to murder him when the skip ended.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Having to refer to modern art in order to explain superpowers is what makea Jojo dope

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

the retranslation actually does a pretty decent job of explaining it and i'm sure the anime will make it clear enough with how it's depicted. maybe one day we'll be free of the dumb memes where people act like trying to comprehend it is akin to deciphering notes from the zodiac killer or some poo poo

ive noticed that people mostly shut the gently caress up about Stand with confusing powers until AFTER its Animated debut

Looking forward to nerds FINALLY shutting the gently caress up about King Crimson! :thumbsup:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

I will never understand why people who make these kindsa things always leave Abbacchio out, when Moody Blues is both a Time Stand and clearly based on the Record function because JJBA Earth is just a giant VCR.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Epitaph isn't necessary, just tremendously helpful. The combination of King Crimson's standard power and Epitaph are what make Diavolo so invincible, since Epitaph lets him know when to erase time in order to most effectively protect himself, but even without it his stand is still very powerful. (I still think it would have been cool if Epitaph had died with Doppio, which could have made it possible for the heroes to take him down without having to use the arrow, but eh.)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Silver2195 posted:

The part that's unclear to me is the extent to which Diavolo interacts with things during the skipped time. Is he intangible during the skipped time?

Bruno seeing himself is also confusing, although there is at least a possible explanation that makes sense to me (Diavolo lending Bruno Epitaph to confuse him).

Diavolo can't interact with anything during the erased time, because if he did, the interaction would be erased. So instead he just uses it to protect himself by erasing any harm done to him, and by repositioning himself to win instantly after the erased time (like the fight with Bruno, where he wins with a single strike).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just wanna know if they'll fix the plothole with gold experience getting stabbed by the arrow during the black sabbath fight

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Diavolo is the kid on the playground going "Nope I dodged it" when you're all play fighting and he keeps doing it until Giorno starts doing the same.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I just wanna know if they'll fix the plothole with gold experience getting stabbed by the arrow during the black sabbath fight

Considering they've spackled over other plotholes in the past, most assuredly.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Considering they've spackled over other plotholes in the past, most assuredly.

Which ones have they gone over?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't remember the conclusion of that, but I remember trying to work the situation out almost gave me a headache.

I tried very hard to figure it out using the final rules of D4C, and it would require several universes never seen and for the series to start / end in completely different universes or some poo poo.

How it actually works is that Araki changed how D4C works. Originally it took alternate universes and merged them together. That's the whole sponge thing, he could combine multiple universes together into a single thing. So he merged three universes together to cover up him shooting Johnny. My guess is that Araki realized that may not be super flexible, or maybe too powerful, so he simplified it to be dragging poo poo through universes.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Diavolo can't interact with anything during the erased time, because if he did, the interaction would be erased. So instead he just uses it to protect himself by erasing any harm done to him, and by repositioning himself to win instantly after the erased time (like the fight with Bruno, where he wins with a single strike).

Except sometimes he does interact with people during erased time like when he killed Narancia.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Which ones have they gone over?

The most notable one is adding the Joestar birthmark to Jonathan and Joseph in the first season. I think Dio's coffin was addressed too, but I don't remember how. Those are really the only major plotholes so far.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

They also had Jotaro getting a new uniform made after the Wheel of Fortune fight, and seeing off Anne. Those aren’t really plot holes but they add continuity. Oh yeah, they added the stand arrow on Dio’s Wall too, though again it wasn’t much of a plot hole. Other fun continuity additions would be replacing a random parrot on Dio’s Shoulder in an early flashback with Pet Shop, having Star Platinum use star finger again during the Anubis fight and some Battle Tendency references in Suzy Q’s room, like a magazine cover with an adult Smokey. Oh, and Joseph and Dio mentioning Erina during their brief fight.

In DiU they added Josuke biting his lip like in the Enigma fight earlier on, and I could be remembering wrong but I think they added a scene involving the rubber glove before Josuke eats it in the Angelo fight but I could be misremembering.

As for the plot hole with Black Sabbath stabbing Gold Experience with the arrow, that could easily be explained by saying the stand user has to be the one to pierce their stand with it.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 23, 2018

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Could also explain it away as its a thing that only happens once the user has reached a certain potential or is ready for it. Polnareff had his stand for years so when Chariot just barely touched it that first time it freaked out. Giorno only ever started directly fighting with his stand when he met Bruno so when he fought Black Sabbath it didn't do anything, but lets say by the time he finishes the Baby fight, he's learned and mastered his stand so much more.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

As for the plot hole with Black Sabbath stabbing Gold Experience with the arrow, that could easily be explained by saying the stand user has to be the one to pierce their stand with it.

Pretty much. Like a vampire feeding, you have to actively want to be looking for a requiem or "a way to win" to get a requiem, hand waved, plot hole explained.

It doesn't need explaining anyway. It's a plot hole, so be it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i pretty much always looked at it as that the user has to do it with intent and actually probably stab a part that matters and not just through the back of a hand

then again i don't even like requiem stands so it's a moot point as far as I'm concerned

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
It Just Works, except when it doesn't

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Guys... was the pompadour guy who saved Joe Sooky... Jaskay???

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
It was me, the Mom Helper of Morioh. No need to thank me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

WrightOfWay posted:

Except sometimes he does interact with people during erased time like when he killed Narancia.

Narancia wasn't killed in the erased time, Diavolo just killed him and then skipped forward to erase the group hearing and reacting to the killing. Thus they go from watching out for Diavolo to still watching out for Diavolo but now Narancia is dead