Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Haifisch posted:

Apparently, I'm [25F] an evil witch because of the way I'm raising my daughter [8F]. It's putting a strain on a lot of relationships and I could use some help.

I was raised like that. My parents would play Intellevision games while holding me on their laps as an infant. When I got older I'd often "navigate" by being the one with the cheat book, or whatever. I don't think I've ever actually played a Resident Evil game myself, my dad would play while I'd navigate because I was terrified of zombies and hated the controls. My SNES was already open on Christmas morning, and the first switch palace done in Super Mario World because my parents had to "test" it. I have a Legend of Zelda tattoo, not just because I'm a gaming nerd, but because of all the great memories I have of having a shared hobby with my parents we all loved. The day my dad died, after being so sick for so long, I woke up to the sound of him playing one of his PTO-like games for the first time in 6 months. It was such a familiar sound. It's one of my last memories of him and I can't imagine wanting it to have been anything else.

But I guess since I got bullied because it was the 90s and not 2018 when everyone's grandma is playing Candy Crush and everyone has a console in their house. that those happy memories and bonding was all actually a horrible thing to put me through. I seriously think these people are just really, really jealous of the OP's relationship with her daughter and ex.

Edit: Jesus, I just saw the child's name, that's my birthname, even spelled the right way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

you might just be ugly too.

That's my problem.

i'm not ugly, i'm just fat

Play posted:

I can't stand when I have to act like a parent to my girlfriend because that's not what I signed up for. Even unfeigned dependency is lame and people need to get their poo poo together because I want a fun and competent fuckpartner; if I wanted a child to take care of I would've just had one

seriously. i don't want ACTUAL children, let alone manchildren

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Araenna posted:

Edit: Jesus, I just saw the child's name, that's my birthname, even spelled the right way.

The call is coming from inside the house to the Nintendo Power Tip Line

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Barudak posted:

my parents got divorced because my dad saw the phone bill and assumed it was a sex line my mom was calling.

ha ha jokes on me im actually just really bad at zombies ate my neighbors

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

Nonvalueadded User posted:

I find food in the north of Italy to be more subtle and tasty, and not as fatty, as food from the south, but regardless the best place in the world to eat amazing truffle-laden food is Florence. And I hate Florence in every other way.

TL;dr: My ushers formulate a plan where one goes high, the other goes low against an unwelcome guest at my wedding.

At the wedding to my current wife (second, and the one who is an amazing person instead of a controlling, emotionally abusive alcoholic psycho like #1), we had a small wedding party: Best Man & Maid of Honor, my daughter was flower bearer, and three of my friends were ushers. The ushers sat in a pew behind the other guests. Halfway through the wedding, a woman who was underdressed (for a wedding), looking a bit disheveled,, etc., comes in through one of the back doors and sits in a few pews behind the ushers.

One asks, “Is that [Nonvalueadded’s ex-wife’s name]?” (the ex-wife with BPD, the one whose threats meant I had to go to family court to get a court order to ensure my daughter would be able to attend my wedding, etc.) The other two ushers shrug their shoulders, but one says, “let me ask my wife, she has a great memory for this sort of thing.” He leans forward to the next pew, asks her the question, she looks and squints, and says, “I’m not sure.” So, in case this interloper is biding her time to make trouble at the a critical juncture, my ushers formulate a plan to literally physically intercept her, down to agreeing to tackle her if needed, and drag her out of the church. Fortunately, nothing happened, and this woman got up at the end and left with the rest; the panic was rekindled when they saw her on the steps of the church and one heard her say, “Hi, [my daughter’s name]”, to which my daughter stopped, smiled, and waved.

I found out about this during the group photos before heading to the reception. “We didn’t want to bother you during the ceremony, but...” and tell me the story. I’m really weirded out by this but the one usher’s wife had taken a photo of her. I looked at it and shook my head in embarrassment.

Quick poll, guys: On your honeymoon night, after the reception, how many of.you have had to make a phone call to a family friend’s business to leave a voicemail (instead of waking them up with a call at 2am) in order to apologize for her getting the paranoid stink-eye continuously laid on her by the ushers, and that in spite of going through trouble of shutting down her shop a little early that day so she could rush over and catch the important half of the wedding Mass before running off to a family engagement (and thus having to skip the reception where she could have received the apology in person from me and three embarrassed ushers)?

On the other hand, I am blessed to have friends ready to do violence in a House of God to save my wedding.

e: added TL;dr

I really regret reading this, The Most Boring Story Ever Told, and i still don’t know who the woman was.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
the username tried to warn u :shrug:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
in remote Australian research stations it's common for frogs to get into the toilet systems, cuz toilet bowls are GREAT acoustics. anyway using the toilet with more than 1 frog/toad in it? thats a illegal party toilet, australia rules.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Behold, the teenage psyche!

Did I ruin any chance of friendship with my ex by hating his new girlfriend?

quote:

I [F17] made a post last night about my ex of a year [M20] and wanting to reach out. I tried and he’s blocked me.

I can’t help but hate his new girlfriend. They got together soon after we broke up and ruined any chance of us getting back together. I did message her once telling her I thought they weren’t right for each other (maybe not the best move) and she was polite which bugged me more. She’s shady and I know that’s a front. She isn’t the nice, innocent girl she makes herself out to be.

I feel like I should reach out to her in the hopes of a friendship with my ex but I don’t know. I can’t get over him.

TL/DR : I miss my ex and went to reach out but he’s blocked me.

Choice OP replies from the comments:

quote:

-Thank you. I’ve never been so in love and it hasn’t changed and I hate them both

-They met when we were together but never really spoke and then when we broke up they started talking. Me and him had a bad break up and I reached out after a couple of weeks and she’d already weeded her way in. That was it at that point.

-But she was around when I was trying to work things out with him. They were calling all the time and she knew we were on a break.

-It’s been a year and they’re both happy and it fcks me off

-I can’t help it. I don’t want counselling

Scientific proof that a 16 year old getting dumped by a 19 year old causes irreversible brain damage. Were any of you guys that broke-brained in HS?

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Araenna posted:

How many different ways are there to spell Goku anyway

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
My Husband (M31) wants me (F27) to stop giving rides to co-workers.

quote:

So to get right down to it. I work at a retail store, part-time, closing shift to get out of the house from time to time and to get extra pocket money. I used to stay at home full-time with our son (M5) but I found that I was becoming a recluse and it made my social anxiety 10x worse. I have been working at the store I'm at for almost 2 years now.

There is this really nice kid there we'll call him Tim (M18) most people find him a bit annoying, because he talks a lot, makes lots of jokes constantly. But he's a nice kid who means well. His family is really poor. His upbringing was lovely. He lives with his Mom and younger (half) sister. (Dad has never been in the picture). He's also been struggling to save for a car because his mother needs quite a bit of financial help. I sympathize with this a lot. I grew up somewhat poor, and while my parents never asked me for money. They couldn't really help me either. I was able to do more because the kindness of others.

My husband is a very black and white person. Things should be one way, and has no qualms about addressing it. I have given rides home to other co workers once or twice and while he was weary of that, and I could tell he was annoyed that it took time out of our time together (maybe 30 minutes max) all he said was "Just don't become the store's personal Uber."

I take Tim home MAYBE 1 time a week, it's usually every other week. Most people don't have just closing shifts like me. Dropping him off takes me like maybe, and I'm not exaggerating, like 5 minutes max. His apartment complex is just off the road I take home anyway. I call my husband everytime I'm leaving from work so he can unlatch the door for me. (Our son learned how to unlock the deadbolt). And about the third time I called him, and told him I was taking Tim home, my husband sighed and I could tell he was upset.

When I got home later that night, we got into a fight because he said I was becoming an Uber service. I told him that it felt mean to say no when he asked me if I could give him a ride. Because I know that means a $10 dollar Uber, when it's really no trouble for me at all. And I know how much that $10 means for him and his family.

This is where I hosed up. I kept taking Tim home but I stopped telling my husband. It felt cruel to say no. And it would seem out of character and I hated the idea of saying, "Sorry but my husband wants me directly home."

Tim messaged me on Facebook last night saying "Thanks for the ride, I seriously appreciate it." And my husband asked me who that was when he heard the notification. So I told him, "Tim messaged me to say thank you for the ride home."

My husband blew up. I understood why. I lied by omission. I should have just told him from the start. But then he started talking about how I should know how paranoid he is about my male co-workers because of his ex-wife who left him for one of her co-workers. How is that fair? I understand what a defining time in his life that was. I physically hurt for him because of it. But how is that fair? I met him about a year after it happened. He talked about how he had the philosophy "I don't care who she kisses as long as she comes home to me tonight."

Why can't I get that same amount of trust? I don't want to sleep around, but I would also like the benefit of the doubt, that I'm not going to leave him to run away with this 18 year old CHILD. My husband told me "That's exactly what [ex] would have said, and I'm sure she really meant it to." I told him that I think it's pretty hosed up that his ex stole all of his trust in me away. He tells me that I have no idea how trusting of a person he was, but that had changed before he met me. That I "had never met that man."

I need to tell Tim next time that he asks for a ride "Sorry I have to get home to my family." and that while my husband understands what a lovely situation he's in that it's not my responsibility to fix it. And that he has to learn to make his own arrangements and save up for a car. I want to vomit thinking about saying that. I feel like to everyone at work that's out of character for me. I don't want to see him start scrambling and panicking because he has $.36 in his bank account and he can't afford an Uber. My husband is right about one thing, when Tim and I close together, he just kinda assumes (still asks but in a you can still give me a ride right? kinda way.)

But most of all, I don't want my co-workers to think my husband is an rear end in a top hat. I don't know what to do.

I'm sorry that I rambled so much, and got sidetracked to a whole bunch of other problems.

TL;DR Husband wants me to stop giving this kid I work with a ride home. I'm too empathetic to this kids issues and want to help. Husband has trust issues because I lied. Please help.

Your husband is bludgeoning you with stories of his ex so much you could probably have him arrested on battery charges. He's punishing your helping others based on the actions of a completely different person.

The_end
May 17, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

Behold, the teenage psyche!

Did I ruin any chance of friendship with my ex by hating his new girlfriend?

Choice OP replies from the comments:

Scientific proof that a 16 year old getting dumped by a 19 year old causes irreversible brain damage. Were any of you guys that broke-brained in HS?

She was probably broke in the first place.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dienes posted:

My husband is a very black and white person. Things should be one way, and has no qualms about addressing it.

:thunk:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Dienes posted:

Your husband is bludgeoning you with stories of his ex so much you could probably have him arrested on battery charges. He's punishing your helping others based on the actions of a completely different person.

Bang Tim, break your lovely husband’s brain even further.

But seriously, the husband sounds like a total controlling douche. Don’t date or marry someone that constantly brings up what their ex did to them as a reason for their attitude toward something.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm pretty sure I knew that talking about your ex all the time was a red-flag behavior when I was like 20, how has this guy not picked up on that at 31

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
he's a man, so his feelings about her are based in Reason and Strong Intellectual Concepts and are therefore fine and don't need to be addressed in any way, duh

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

he's a man, so his feelings about her are based in Reason and Strong Intellectual Concepts and are therefore fine and don't need to be addressed in any way, duh

Lol

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

It's cool how the 31 year old dude is some cartoon mustache twirling villain using LOGIC and CONTROL and MANIPULATION and not some dude that got cheated on and it left him hosed up afterward :shrug:

That dude sucks for sure but he just seems like some unhappy person trying to fix the previous problem in a futile way, to me

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dienes posted:

Your husband is an rear end in a top hat, so don't worry too much about people thinking it.

Seriously, she said the kid's apartment is literally on the way home and he can't afford to take an uber home. Tell him to eat poo poo or divorce you over it

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Dienes posted:

Your husband is a huge piece of poo poo and you need to get a divorce. :sever: and don't look back.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Always take the most drastic path out of your current predicament no matter how innocuous seeming.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Admiral Ray posted:

Your husband is a huge piece of poo poo and you need to get a divorce. :sever: and don't look back.

This is maaayyyybe a bit much. I would say have a serious talk with him and lay down the law, that you're not going to stop helping people in a harmless way due to his insecurities. He doesn't get to dictate things about that part of your life. If he can't accept that then sure :sever:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's cool how the 31 year old dude is some cartoon mustache twirling villain using LOGIC and CONTROL and MANIPULATION and not some dude that got cheated on and it left him hosed up afterward :shrug:

That dude sucks for sure but he just seems like some unhappy person trying to fix the previous problem in a futile way, to me

Part of being a mature adult in a relationship is recognizing your baggage for what it is and trying to change yourself to be healthy rather than blame or become possessive of who you're dating. It doesn't matter how tragic your past is. If you are hosed up from the past to the degree of this man, you're too hosed to be in a relationship and need either therapy or at least serious introspection. You can never "please" people like this because the problem comes from their own insecurity, not what their SO is actually doing, so the leash becomes tighter and tighter with no trust built up through the process.

The OP is still being controlled and manipulated hth

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

extra row of teeth posted:

Part of being a mature adult in a relationship is recognizing your baggage for what it is and trying to change yourself to be healthy rather than blame or become possessive of who you're dating. It doesn't matter how tragic your past is. If you are hosed up from the past to the degree of this man, you're too hosed to be in a relationship and need either therapy or at least serious introspection. You can never "please" people like this because the problem comes from their own insecurity, not what their SO is actually doing, so the leash becomes tighter and tighter with no trust built up through the process.

The OP is still being controlled and manipulated hth

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

Always take the most drastic path out of your current predicament no matter how innocuous seeming.

This is the Internet, 90% of what we do ITT is tell people to end their relationships based on one paragraph containing three data points

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

loquacius posted:

This is the Internet, 90% of what we do ITT is tell people to end their relationships based on one paragraph containing three data points

To be fair 90% of the time, that's exactly what the OP should do.

Not in this particular case (I think a Come to Jesus talk from the OP and if needed, marriage counseling) could salvage it. But r/r is a parade of domestic abuse, dumb teens/college kids, and psychotic families.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Anyone remember that guy with the Twin Flame kid she was chasing romantically?

quote:

I messaged the Other Guy my wife was chasing and she found out (35m and 37f)

TL;DR for it (or if you just don’t want to be redirected to another thread first) is that my wife one day in September told me she developed a crush on a young guy and didn’t love me anymore and wanted to separate, and had been chasing this guy ever since. He has NO interest in her what so ever, but she was convinced that he was madly in love with her anyway because her crazy rear end sister told her to look up something called Twin Flames and she became a full on believer in it. I finally messaged the guy saying essentially “hey, this lady who keeps trying to befriend you is married with two small children and splitting up our family because she developed a crush on you and is convinced you love her too. You may be sending her signals without knowing it”. He was pretty decent and was like “I apologize for what’s happening in your family, there is nothing between us, I’ll avoid her and block her”. And then a few days later my wife snoops and finds the message I sent the dude, which SMASHED what small chances I felt I had at reconciling right then.

That was back in May. Since then, I’ve hardly given any updates, but a LOT has happened in that time. I’ve been able to snoop on her facebook because of her still being logged in on an older computer of mine. In just a couple days after that incident, she got over her supposed Twin Flame amazingly quickly. And then some random dude from Canada messaged her after seeing her post in one of those Twin Flame groups on Facebook and in under an hour she was convinced that the two of them were connected and that this guy was her true Twin Flame and that the other guy was just a false Twin Flame that acted as a catalyst for her real one.

I didn’t mention it after seeing that conversation (because duh, it’s snooping) but a few days later she volunteered over text that she found someone else and he’s paying for her to fly up to canada and visit him sometime in July.

Here is what scares me: I mentioned that we have two small children. The younger one is 2 years old and we both have custody of him, but the older one is 8 and I have no custody or guardianship or rights whatsoever with her because she was still a tiny 16 month old baby when I met both her and her mother. Her real father is an abusive rear end in a top hat up in Chicago and has had no contact with her so I’ve been her daddy ever since. But more important to me than who gets the kids is that they both stay together, because I feel they need each other more than needing one parent over the other, so if she decides to move to canada one day and take the kids with her I’ll be absolutely powerless to stop it. She’s always expressed openness to my adopting her but last time I brought it up she said something about the law requiring her to file for full custody. So right now I’m working on finding and talking to adoption lawyers who actually know what they’re talking about.

I’ve started going to a therapist. My wife steadfastly REFUSES to even consider the idea of going to one for herself, literally gets mad any time I even try to bring it up or suggest it at all now, even though she needs it way more. Besides just the insanity of the Twin Flames cult, she’s actually a victim of childhood trauma. She’s also been with several very abusive guys before she met me. I told my therapist all this about her and about everythig that’s happen since the separation, and she told me that what my wife is doing sound very typical of someone who’s suffered from childhood trauma (which is an area my therapist happens to specialize in). That it affects them later on in life in such a way that they can never stay in a relationship because they inevitably do something to sabotage them sooner or later, even the healthy ones.

But anyway, in the weeks since finding this new Twin Flame, she’s unfriended and re-friended this dude on facebook over a dozen times now, and actually told me (in her exact words) that “he wasn’t a good person”, and that he “wasn’t what I am looking for”. Then a few days later she just casually mentions that she’s flying to canada this summer to visit “a friend”. And then yesterday said that “this last guy drained my energy”. And then unfriended and re-friended him again.

So that’s where I stand right now. My therapist advised me on two things: 1. Lawyer up and present myself as being a source of stability, and 2. Find myself a support system. Because when she asked if I have one I told her about some close online friends I’ve been knowing a long time but never met in person and I’ve been sharing a lot with them (I’m kind of introverted), and she said that’s great but it can never do enough for me like a warm body coming to sit with me on my couch to talk to when it comes to a personal support system. I have no friends and I don’t feel close enough to any of my family members to unload all this on them and open up to them. My therapist is an amazing person and tried really hard to come up with ideas for who I could turn to, she hesitantly recommended finding a local church group (I could tell she was wary of being seen as pushing religion on anyone and was trying not to do that). I told her I’d look into it, but honestly I’m not very religious at all and can’t see myself doing that.

I guess I’m hosed. I don’t know what else to do except either to just find a way to deal with the pain on my own or else just hold it in like a poison.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dienes posted:

quote:

Why can't I get that same amount of trust? I don't want to sleep around, but I would also like the benefit of the doubt, that I'm not going to leave him to run away with this 18 year old CHILD. My husband told me "That's exactly what [ex] would have said, and I'm sure she really meant it to." I told him that I think it's pretty hosed up that his ex stole all of his trust in me away. He tells me that I have no idea how trusting of a person he was, but that had changed before he met me. That I "had never met that man."

Wow honey, I wish you knew me back when I was a reasonable person, too bad I'll never be that ever again. Ever.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

From legal advice but holy poo poo....
Pretend everything is bold.

My now EX fiancée makes a lot more money than me and comes from a good amount of family money. I'm 23, hes 29 and his parents wanted me to sign a prenup before our wedding in 3 months. His parents have bought us a house, car and are offering to pay off all my student loans once we are married so it doesn't weigh on their son. I have had lawyers look over the prenup and they basically said that its not the most fair thing ever but its fine. Basically it says that in the event of a divorce initiated by my fiancée he gets whatever he made, I get whatever money I made and I get spousal support from him in the amount of 25% of my salary at the time (great ). However, in a divorce initiated by me NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCE (ex my fiancée could cheat etc and I could divorce him but id be at fault in the prenup) I do not get spousal support and I do not get custody AT ALL of the child we are adopting through a surrogate. normally prenups cant cover future kids BUT since we have started the process and are waiting just on the childs birth, my lawyers say its fair game.

He is completely controlled by his parents. I forgot to add that I asked them to take the custody out and they said theyre willing to take the custody portion out if they can add the following instead: if I initiate divorce I ALSO OWE HIS PARENTS FOR HALF OF EVRYTHING THEYVE BOUGHT US, that means I owe them 2-3 million dollars. WTF. if I don't sign, I basically enter a legal battle for the kids custody with my fiancé and his parents which I cant win as they have more money and the parents run a legal firm. I feel stuck, in the past hour since ive posted my fiancé has made clear he will not marry me without the prenup. so my options are to sign, not sign and fight for custody or literally just give up.

I FORGOT TO MENTION THE CHILD IS BIOLOGICALLY HIS. we agreed the first kid would use his sperm and the second would use mine.

So this is my situation. I refused the prenup in its current form. his parents cancelled our wedding. they are currently taking me to family court to take me off the childs custody papers claiming that the kid is his (true biologically). I was petitioning to adopt the child as I cant do that before birth, he is due to be born in the next 3 months and I don't know what to do. My lawyers are telling me we can fight this but is there a point? They have more money and we don't have anything in writing other than me petitioning to adopt the child that is his.

I'm from Canada. Moved to NYC to live with my fiancé. I have a work visa and am a Canadian citizen.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
Disappear lady, just ghost that guy.

e: may be a dude.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

extra row of teeth posted:

To be fair 90% of the time, that's exactly what the OP should do.

Not in this particular case (I think a Come to Jesus talk from the OP and if needed, marriage counseling) could salvage it. But r/r is a parade of domestic abuse, dumb teens/college kids, and psychotic families.

I honestly think this is an individual-counseling thing. The therapist basically needs to get him to draw a distinction between her and his ex and IANAT but I don't think she really needs to be there to go "yeah, that's right, I'm not her" to make that concept click

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I like these two posts together, like Galen's theory of opposites. One man hosed too much, one man fucks too little.

Me [26 F] with my Husband [28M] 2 years (together 6): He's been with literally every woman we know.

quote:

tl;dr: My husband was a huge player, and his friends mostly started dating the girls he got with and left. I met him through my own friends, and even they had slept with him! Now, basically our entire friendship circle is made up of his ex-partners. Some of them were at our wedding, we're now going to their weddings. I want to throw up.
Before I met my husband, I dated some, but never had sex--I had a serious fear of pregnancy and never want kids. I only had one other serious relationship. He had a lot. A lot a lot. I was really scared he'd have an STD, and asked him to get tested before we had sex--but he is 100% clean. He's very, very successful, quite good with money, and really attractive. He treats me well and we are happy.

He apparently had a 'thing' for virgins, for whatever reason, and was actually OK with dating me for quite a while without having sex. He didn't much care for kids either, and a year into our relationship decided to have a vasectomy. Needless to say, as soon as he was able, we started having sex after that--I think all my insecurities were about pregnancy risks. Our relationship has been wonderful and in that time we have bought a house, gotten married, and adopted dogs. He's totally devoted to me and I have never doubted his dedication. And we have an awesome life. He can take me places I could never go myself. I don't think I could bear to be with anyone else, ever.

But the baggage is really, really hard to bear. When he was in college, he met many of my friends--I met him through them--most of whom went to his university. Three of them slept with him. When we were talking about guys, I am realizing some of the stories I was hearing were about him. It makes me sick to my stomach. Most of his friends met their girlfriends because he slept with them, too. I am able to be nice and they are all super sweet to me but the whole time I am just feeling gross talking with these women.

I'm pretty vanilla in the bedroom and he's always suggesting we try this or that thing which I like in my head but definitely don't want with my body...he's experienced all of that and I worry that I'm not enough for him. His libido is way higher than mine, too, so there's that pressure.

I've recently lost a good bit of weight because I know he likes me skinnier, and he's been doting on me harder as a result. Which should make me happy but just makes me wonder if he wants to get back with these girls--some of them are way prettier than I am. I know it's totally illogical as they're with his friends.

I've brought it up with him in the past and he understands the problem, but isn't about to stop being close with his friends. I definitely am happier when we go out with couples we both met, and it's really obvious.

This has been an ongoing problem for me for pretty much our entire relationship. He has always been reticent to talk about his past, but I pushed. I wish I hadn't. He's done everything right, but none of it helps. How do I cope?

Wrongly accused husband of infidelity. Turns out he was hiding his erectile dysfunction instead. FML. (36M 33F 12 years)

quote:

Pretty much what the title says. We've been together for 12 years and married for 8. I noticed that my husband's sex drive has been non-existent for the past few months, which was very bothersome considering we went from sex multiple times a week to no sex at all within a week. He also put a password on his phone and began guarding both his phone and his computer a lot more. He would be type and click furiously while the screen was pointed away from me but the second I'd walk up next to him, he'd switch to Netflix or something like that. I also noticed that he became much less physically affectionate with me. To me, everything pointed to infidelity. I've never been cheated on before (to my knowledge) so I could have been overparanoid but I don't think it was illogical to assume that something shady was going on behind my back?

So this morning I saw him crouched over his laptop on the sofa doing more of his furious typing and clicking so I reached over and grabbed his laptop to see what he was doing. He panicked and knocked the Laptop out of my hands onto the floor. I was just shocked and disgusted. At that point, I was so sure he was having an affair. I told him that I could not believe he would betray my trust like that and I told him to get out of our house. We got into a huge argument that primarily consisted of me cutting off his explanation attempts with nasty insults.

Once he calmed me down and explained everything. He showed me his 5 page google doc with all of his links detailing methods to deal with erectile dysfunction and he showed me all of the text messages he sent to his brother about this. He's very upset that I think he's capable of cheating and he did end up leaving the house to stay with a friend because he wanted time alone to clear his head. I made an awfully big mess for myself and I don't know how to repair things.

tl;dr: Husband was being secretive about erectile dysfunction but I accused him of infidelity

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

tater_salad posted:

From legal advice but holy poo poo....
Pretend everything is bold.

My now EX fiancée makes a lot more money than me and comes from a good amount of family money. I'm 23, hes 29 and his parents wanted me to sign a prenup before our wedding in 3 months. His parents have bought us a house, car and are offering to pay off all my student loans once we are married so it doesn't weigh on their son. I have had lawyers look over the prenup and they basically said that its not the most fair thing ever but its fine. Basically it says that in the event of a divorce initiated by my fiancée he gets whatever he made, I get whatever money I made and I get spousal support from him in the amount of 25% of my salary at the time (great ). However, in a divorce initiated by me NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCE (ex my fiancée could cheat etc and I could divorce him but id be at fault in the prenup) I do not get spousal support and I do not get custody AT ALL of the child we are adopting through a surrogate. normally prenups cant cover future kids BUT since we have started the process and are waiting just on the childs birth, my lawyers say its fair game.

He is completely controlled by his parents. I forgot to add that I asked them to take the custody out and they said theyre willing to take the custody portion out if they can add the following instead: if I initiate divorce I ALSO OWE HIS PARENTS FOR HALF OF EVRYTHING THEYVE BOUGHT US, that means I owe them 2-3 million dollars. WTF. if I don't sign, I basically enter a legal battle for the kids custody with my fiancé and his parents which I cant win as they have more money and the parents run a legal firm. I feel stuck, in the past hour since ive posted my fiancé has made clear he will not marry me without the prenup. so my options are to sign, not sign and fight for custody or literally just give up.

I FORGOT TO MENTION THE CHILD IS BIOLOGICALLY HIS. we agreed the first kid would use his sperm and the second would use mine.

So this is my situation. I refused the prenup in its current form. his parents cancelled our wedding. they are currently taking me to family court to take me off the childs custody papers claiming that the kid is his (true biologically). I was petitioning to adopt the child as I cant do that before birth, he is due to be born in the next 3 months and I don't know what to do. My lawyers are telling me we can fight this but is there a point? They have more money and we don't have anything in writing other than me petitioning to adopt the child that is his.

I'm from Canada. Moved to NYC to live with my fiancé. I have a work visa and am a Canadian citizen.

Don't get involved with rich people, they are all generally broke brained in some awful way.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Dienes posted:

Me [26 F] with my Husband [28M] 2 years (together 6): He's been with literally every woman we know.

He has a "thing" for virgins? Gross leave him on that point alone. Also I think there's something to her insecure feeling that he'll leave if she stops measuring up looks- and sex-wise. It's impossible to tell from this information alone whether those insecurities are real but when it comes to men being shitheads I'll always err on the side of "yes he's a shithead"

Dienes posted:

Wrongly accused husband of infidelity. Turns out he was hiding his erectile dysfunction instead. FML. (36M 33F 12 years)

What do? durrrrrr. Pretty drat obvious, apologize for jumping to conclusions. If he's not an rear end in a top hat he'll understand that his suspicious behavior is what caused this misunderstanding. He was the one trying to hide something from his partner and while that's understandable it's also reasonable to think his behavior might indicate something worse

Or she could just :sever: because lol he dick don't work

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dienes posted:

I like these two posts together, like Galen's theory of opposites. One man hosed too much, one man fucks too little.

So uh did she just find out about this or what? I'm unclear w/r/t the exact timing of the revelation here

(lol at "he's doting on me more since I lost weight but that just makes me worry he's going to leave me for our married friends")

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

Oh god I called that too many times.

gently caress Your Website posted:

How many different ways are there to spell Goku anyway

孫 悟空

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My close friend (25F) confessed to me (30F) and threaten self harm if I am romantically involved with another guy.

quote:

Ok so one of my closest friend is in this sticky situation right now. I offered to help post her story in /r/Relationship as she does not reddit. Because I know /r/Relationships can offer her so much more than myself. Anyway for the sake of convenience, I will post from a first party perspective.

I met her in my dance studio around 2 years ago. A brief history about her. We will call her Jane. Jane is 25 years old this year, married and has a boy (7yo). As a result of accidental pregnancy, she got married at a really young age at 17. Marriage did not went well for her. Her husband was caught cheating once and was always abusing her. Long story short, she fell out of love but was kinda forced to remain in the marriage. Reasons being forced in the marriage are 1. her financial means come from the husband family. They are rich and powerful in the town. 2. She decided to stick through the marriage for the child. 3. She doesn't know what to do in her life without much education having just completed only high school.

So in a state of despair, all she does is party by drowning her sorrows through alcohol. She thinks that she has nowhere to go in life anymore. Basically she's a pessimist. When I met her, I felt bad looking at how she was treating herself. The late night party and alcohol took a toll on her health and emotions. We got really close together as I was trying to steer her into the right direction. I also advised her to give another shot at her marriage and to play a role a mother would to her son. All these while I treated her as if she was my younger sister and I thought she looked up at me as a elder sister too.

Until a few months ago, she confessed to me that she might have developed feelings for me which totally caught me off guard. I told her that she was confused with her own feelings and she was heavily relying on me to escape her own problems. During that time, I myself entered into a relationship. That relationship did not end up well but that's another story by itself. The thing is when I was in another relationship, Jane emotions went haywire. She was constantly bombarding me with messages telling how she cannot bear seeing me with another guy and that it was killing her slowly. She tried cutting all contact with me one week and the following week she was trying all means to get to see me every chance possible. I kept telling how it was wrong for her to think this way towards me but she was having none of it. She treated me very well from time to time. She buys food for me when I was tied up with work, runs errands for me, make sure I have enough rest and supplements as I am working in the fitness industry. She would have been a perfect boyfriend material except the fact she's not a boy. I guess my biggest mistake was to allow all this slid through thinking things were harmless and that she would come to realise she was wrong about her feelings.

Bear in mind that I'm living in an Asian city so LGBT is still a huge taboo here. I have to handle her occasional tantrums tactfully to not exposing her out to other mutual friends. The final straw came last week when I went out with my ex (then bf) to a road trip with some friends. She did not take it well and went on alcohol abuse. What totally blew my lid off is that she took drugs for the first time because she told me what I did have hurt her too much. She threaten self harm if I ever do this to her again.She told me she cannot stand the thought of another guy with me. This totally blew my lid off. I told her that whatever she does with her life has nothing to do with me anymore. This was the first time I have shown my anger to her.

The next few days after ignoring her, she came up to my class and gave me a gift. It was a new mobile phone that I casually mentioned I like it. Of course I told her I could not accept it and she actually wanted to throw the phone away. Not wanting to create a scene, I took the phone but did not use it. She told me she wants to go back to the older days when we were close and asked me if I could pretend nothing of these had ever happened.

I'm so lost at this point. I truly cared about her but I felt that she misinterpret my care towards her. I thought her it's impossible for us to be together and that thought has never crossed my mind. I would not want this to be an issue when I enter another relationship (which I hope I do but thought of her inflicting self harm to herself if I do is crazy!). I'm afraid by being too tough on her will seriously drive her to do things to herself. She's the kind that would really do it.

So seriously, what do I do with her?

tldr: was close with a friend whom I treated like a younger sister. she confessed and now she's going crazy on me threatening me by harming herself if I am romantically involved with another guy.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Ew the amount of people in the thread about the wife giving a kid rides saying it's her fault for lying and making him even more paranoid, or that because of his abandonment issues that he is just setting reasonable boundaries to keep himself from getting hurt again is loving disgusting.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Araenna posted:

Ew the amount of people in the thread about the wife giving a kid rides saying it's her fault for lying and making him even more paranoid, or that because of his abandonment issues that he is just setting reasonable boundaries to keep himself from getting hurt again is loving disgusting.

This one comment was super dumb:

quote:

As far as I can tell the only demand the dude made was that she stop giving Tim a ride.

Freedom of action doesn't provide you freedom from consequences. OP is of course free to behave however she pleases. If her actions were to cause someone a great deal of emotional distress then she must deal with that (and is free to choose how to do so). Because she has made a commitment to her husband for whom she clearly holds a great deal of love, when her actions cause him emotional distress she holds some responsibility.

Being in a loving committed relationship creates an obligation to restrict ones behavior to avoid unduly distressing your partner, hence the practice of monogamy. She chose a husband with an emotional disability stemming from trauma with his ex and accepted him with the knowledge of those flaws. It's clear that she is frustrated by his lack of trust and the implications for her behavior, but those are the consequences of her choice to be with this man.

The fact of his traumatic-ex-experience creates the need for them to establish boundaries that might be more restrictive than what is "normal." But thats not because this man is abusive or controlling but because he's a little bit broken. I gt the sense that this is what the man was trying to do but doing it rear end-backward (but it seems like his ex walked all over him so I doubt it's ever been a strong suit). If the conditions are too restrictive she has recourse to address that with her husband to figure out a compromise but to stay in the relationship is to take on responsibility to not cause undue distress to your partner, even if it means Tim has to find his own ride.

Of course this goes both ways, so if hubby wants to stay in it he needs to build trust so that he is not unduly stressing OP. It just seems to me that one must logically precede the other.

I guess I'm just surprised at the general lack of sympathy for the husband. OP seems like a great gal with a lot of compassion, whose stuck between a rock and a hard place both of which are people who need her help but whose interests compete.

‘Quit dropping off your financially struggling co-worker, think about your husband! How dare you cause him emotional distress!’

I’m wondering if the husband knows about Tim’s financial situation or if he’s ever met him? Nah, who am I kidding, he’d probably double-down even harder.

One of my summer gigs in college, I’d drive the hostess home if we both worked dinner shift. Her parents were a little concerned because she was out a little later than she usually got home and kept getting out of a car. I went and introduced myself one time to prove yes, I’m a co-worker, she’s running a little later because she sticks around while I finish scrubbing down the kitchen equipment. I just thought it wasn’t safe for a fifteen year old to walk home alone at night.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Now this is the kind of trolling I like to see.

Subtle, nuanced. Draws you in to a 2-3 post back and forth.

Solid work Ham!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (23M) girlfriend (22F) claims she knows Edward Norton and is extremely upset.

Wow, I can't believe I'm actually finally having to post here! Woohoo! I'll get straight to it: I have been with my girlfriend 'Jennifer' for a year. She is my best friend and we get on unbelievably well, and the relationship is healthier and happier than any either of us have had in our lives so far. She's so chilled out and funny, and I've never seen her angry or unreasonably upset. But the strangest thing happened last night that has left me really confused and I'm hoping to gain some insight/objectivity through this sub.

It's going to sound really bizarre because, well, it is. But basically my best friend 'Fred' had some friends over at his house: me, our other best friend and his girlfriend, our friend and Jennifer. It's the usual group we hang out with, and my girlfriend gets on with my friends well. Basically, we were all sitting in the kitchen at the table drinking and smoking, and we get to the topic of actors. We're just talking about actors we like and dislike and laughing; it's light, harmless conversation. Then Fred starts talking about the actor Edward Norton, and says that he heard that he was a dick. Jennifer sits up straight and frowns intensely, then starts angrily interrogating Fred, saying "you don't even know him? I just don't understand why you would make such a stupid assumption like that about someone you don't even loving know?" to which Fred laughs uncomfortably. All of us were holding our breath sort of waiting for her to break 'character' and say she was just joking around, but she looks seriously fuming. Our other friend changes the subject to something else in an attempt to break the tension, and Jennifer storms out.

I follow her out and she's putting her jacket on, her eyes filled with tears. I ask her what the hell is going on and she looks at me and says–and this is verbatim (etched in my mind forever)–"maybe consider that Edward Norton is closer to you than you think". She told me to leave her alone and went home.

We live in New Zealand. Which is a bit far from Los Angeles. She has no connections to LA or anywhere outside NZ to my knowledge. I don't understand how she could possibly know Edward Norton. I know objectively it looks like she's absolutely insane, but she has shown no signs of irrational thinking and no odd behaviour for the whole time I've known her. I've met her friends and family and know a lot about her past, and this is extremely out of character. Since last night I've tried to text and call her; I texted her straight up saying "how the hell do you know Edward Norton?" and she replied with "lol", but nothing since then. I'm friends with her brother and called him to ask about it, and he was seriously confused as well and frankly sounded kind of disturbed.

Can anybody hazard a guess as to what is going on? What can I do? She's completely shutting me out and I don't know what's going on.

tl;dr Girlfriend of one year freaked out about my friend making a comment about Edward Norton and is ignoring me after claiming to know him