Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
I threw in my two cents on the reddit thread and hope it helped. I'm AmyEldritch there. Jax really has been through an impressive amount of poo poo at the hands of these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ate all the Oreos posted:

It took me a while to realize we weren't talking about Electronic Arts.

...mostly because I don't doubt for a second that Electronic Arts is rampant with sexual harassment.

I had to reread the posts to figure out what they were talking about that wasn't Electronic Arts.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, a big thing for her seems to have been that she found herself becoming more and more like the ‘social justice warriors’ she’d been trained to hate, so she killed herself before she could ‘radicalise’ because she’d tied way too much of her identity into this specific community and this specific mindset and was horrified by the notion of what might exist outside it.

Christ, that’s dark. :stare:

Holy poo poo, that's way darker than I initially thought.

edit: https://twitter.com/RuffleJax/status/1009625312844550146 the thread continues.

stab stabby has a new favorite as of 07:40 on Jun 21, 2018

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

There's an incredibly grim comedy in Roko not even having a real name worth mentioning, just "Roko (Yes, the Basilisk guy.)"

Roko Mijic. You'll know its his Facebook when you find the one full of transhumanism, MRA memes and scientific racism.

I've spent a few years not giving his full name, but serial sexual assault that was actually too bad for even EA people to put up with, suddenly my concerns in this regard vanish like dew in the morning sun.

... Oh wow, I just saw his LinkedIn. He was at MIRI as a "Researcher" from Oct 2009 to Jun 2010 - just in time to come up with the Basilisk in July 2010. "Responsibilities included: compiling expert opinions to provide robust predictions of future technology trends, using these predictions to write a strategic plan for the organization."

He worked in cryogenics too, because of course.

The sneerclub thread is turning into the #metoo moment that the rationalist subculture has been richly in need of for some time.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I read that woman's suicide note.

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, a big thing for her seems to have been that she found herself becoming more and more like the ‘social justice warriors’ she’d been trained to hate, so she killed herself before she could ‘radicalise’ because she’d tied way too much of her identity into this specific community and this specific mindset and was horrified by the notion of what might exist outside it.

Christ, that’s dark. :stare:

It seems like she killed herself because the alternative, of not hanging out with a bunch of assholes, was simply unacceptable. gently caress the people who harassed her obviously.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

divabot posted:

Roko Mijic. You'll know its his Facebook when you find the one full of transhumanism, MRA memes and scientific racism.

I've spent a few years not giving his full name
wait wait wait

one of the Mister Big Smart Internet Dudes

goes by his real first name on the Internet?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

It seems like she killed herself because the alternative, of not hanging out with a bunch of assholes, was simply unacceptable. gently caress the people who harassed her obviously.

Also, gently caress the people who created that mindset in their abuse victims. Seriously, that poo poo’s a textbook control mechanism for cults.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Keep in mind that to a rationalist, anyone who isn't a rationalist is hopelessly ignorant at best, actively trying to destroy civilization at worst. For someone who spent years steeped in that culture, finding yourself starting to agree with non-rationalists (and not just that, but SJWs) would be like watching yourself turn into a werewolf in the mirror.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Reading SSC to someone as a form of torture? I believe it.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Goon Danton posted:

Keep in mind that to a rationalist, anyone who isn't a rationalist is hopelessly ignorant at best, actively trying to destroy civilization at worst. For someone who spent years steeped in that culture, finding yourself starting to agree with non-rationalists (and not just that, but SJWs) would be like watching yourself turn into a werewolf in the mirror.

Werewolves are extremely cool so rationalists must be extremely bad if they can’t appreciate that

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
My God that poor Twitter lady just kept charging through red flag after red flag

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Followed one of the links, my eyes started glazing over, I skip to the end and

quote:

The people working at the testing services and also the people collecting samples would have to show that their genes have a safer set of traits that makes them hard to bribe and threaten into lying.
Bam! Eugenics out of nowhere

e: do all of their writings eventually devolve into cultishness? Do these guys literally believe they're, like, the real life Encyclopedia Galactica Foundation?

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 14:28 on Jun 22, 2018

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

hackbunny posted:

e: do all of their writings eventually devolve into cultishness? Do these guys literally believe they're, like, the real life Encyclopedia Galactica Foundation?

They believe that their work on friendly AI makes them the most important people in the history of the universe

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Please, use the appropriate terms.

It’s their “work” on friendly AI. They don’t do actual work, they just bloviate.

They’ve tried to draw in people who actually work in AI and failed miserably, whether by talking about their ideas or by using their PUA game.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
There's a discussion of this bombshell over on the SSC subreddit, which is... better than one might have expected, if you ignore the subthread about how "actually women like sexual violence more than men do". It seems the Bay Area rationalist community is known for being a hotbed of insular weirdos and creepers.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Aschlafly posted:

There's a discussion of this bombshell over on the SSC subreddit, which is... better than one might have expected, if you ignore the subthread about how "actually women like sexual violence more than men do". It seems the Bay Area rationalist community is known for being a hotbed of insular weirdos and creepers.

not that great, they cite Ozy's totally neutral assessment of G*m*rg*t* and why Z** Q**nn is an evil bitch as current data for 2018.

And also, it's de rigeur for one bit of the rationalist subculture to decry that other bit as uniquely terrible in ways that have nothing to do with us over here, when in practice they're as distinct as substrains of Nazi.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Qwertycoatl posted:

They believe that their work on friendly AI makes them the most important people in the history of the universe

It's just that I noticed a preoccupation with existential threats and how only they're the only people who can fight those, to the point that they have a shorthand for it (that they love to drop into unrelated discussions). Also if I read one more "Fermi estimator" bio I'm shooting myself in the face

e: hey look, another bizarre term, "suicide contagion". Total cult vibes

e:

quote:

I'm more concerned that she's being inappropriate by declaring she's "pretty gay" for her. This could be taken the wrong way and create various harm matrices in their social spheres. Maybe there's more going on there, i'm just seeing something potentially problematic. I hope it all works out.
:aaaaa:

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 21:40 on Jun 22, 2018

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

hackbunny posted:

e: hey look, another bizarre term, "suicide contagion". Total cult vibes

That's a real thing. People are more likely to kill themselves if there's been a high profile suicide in the news, or if someone in their social group does.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

hackbunny posted:

It's just that I noticed a preoccupation with existential threats and how only they're the only people who can fight those, to the point that they have a shorthand for it (that they love to drop into unrelated discussions).

Wait, what's this shorthand? Is it the paperclip thing?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://globalnews.ca/news/4287272/...medium=Facebook

Jordan Peterson sues for defamation over criticism that wasn't even made in public. A true crusader for freedom of expression. :rolleyes:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Aschlafly posted:

I do like this bit:

quote:

Lots of rationalists are just the autistic boring versions of Raskolnikov, where they think they have ascended past the standard mores of sexuality, into a new-post traditionalist utopia.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

hackbunny posted:

Followed one of the links, my eyes started glazing over, I skip to the end and
Bam! Eugenics out of nowhere

I really really hate this "there's a Gene for x" simplistic thinking that underlies all their eugenics too. We barely have a reliable assays for identifying if a variant genome is likely to be cancerous compared to host invariant, even though genes play a fairly direct role in that. And those assays cost billions with a b to develop.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

divabot posted:

not that great, they cite Ozy's totally neutral assessment of G*m*rg*t* and why Z** Q**nn is an evil bitch as current data for 2018.

And also, it's de rigeur for one bit of the rationalist subculture to decry that other bit as uniquely terrible in ways that have nothing to do with us over here, when in practice they're as distinct as substrains of Nazi.

Ozy is a member of the Bay Area rationalist community, for context. They were an extremely active member of the particular group I was involved with.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

divabot posted:

I'm always amazed to discover there are still people who have negative opinions about her other than "maybe don't date her if you are gung-ho about monogamy".

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Qwertycoatl posted:

That's a real thing. People are more likely to kill themselves if there's been a high profile suicide in the news, or if someone in their social group does.

Killing yourself because someone else killed themselves and it made you depressed is pretty irrational, but one of the defining features of the New Rationalist crowd is a complete denial of their own human fallibility. Like "I am rational and correct" is their version of "I'm not ___ist, but..." and it leaves them totally defenseless against their own humanity. Phobias, hormones, existential fear, social anxieties, tribalism, superstition... they can't see it coming and it hits them full force. That's probably why they seem so prone to religious and cultish behavior, they just arrive at the same place from a different direction. The name LessWrong always makes me think of someone completely missing the point of Socrates "I know nothing" quote while basing there entire lives around it. "People are unaware of the depths of their own ignorance? But I'm aware of that, so I am now less ignorant than those fools. I feel smarter already!"

When they finally pull a mass suicide it will be shocking but not surprising. I can imagine them uploading their minds to the singularity like Heavens Gate except more slowly, and one at a time, with lots of EEGs and hard drives and liquid nitrogen and "Well actually it's not dying, it's just preparing our meatshells to be downloaded by RoboGod, which is the opposite of suicide and therefore extremely rational".

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

Syd Midnight posted:

Killing yourself because someone else killed themselves and it made you depressed is pretty irrational, but one of the defining features of the New Rationalist crowd is a complete denial of their own human fallibility. Like "I am rational and correct" is their version of "I'm not ___ist, but..." and it leaves them totally defenseless against their own humanity. Phobias, hormones, existential fear, social anxieties, tribalism, superstition... they can't see it coming and it hits them full force. That's probably why they seem so prone to religious and cultish behavior, they just arrive at the same place from a different direction. The name LessWrong always makes me think of someone completely missing the point of Socrates "I know nothing" quote while basing there entire lives around it. "People are unaware of the depths of their own ignorance? But I'm aware of that, so I am now less ignorant than those fools. I feel smarter already!"

When they finally pull a mass suicide it will be shocking but not surprising. I can imagine them uploading their minds to the singularity like Heavens Gate except more slowly, and one at a time, with lots of EEGs and hard drives and liquid nitrogen and "Well actually it's not dying, it's just preparing our meatshells to be downloaded by RoboGod, which is the opposite of suicide and therefore extremely rational".

I once interacted with a rationalist who was 100% convinced he wasn't going to die, because "cryogenics, or we're going to have rejuvenation therapy, or invent the ability to digitize brains soon".

Edit: He fully, wholeheartedly believed this, and kept challenging me on my assumption that death is inevitable - "well you only think that death is inevitable because we haven't defeated death yet"

stab stabby has a new favorite as of 19:25 on Jun 23, 2018

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Syd Midnight posted:

but one of the defining features of the New Rationalist crowd is a complete denial of their own human fallibility. Like "I am rational and correct" is their version of "I'm not ___ist, but..." and it leaves them totally defenseless against their own humanity.

This is the number one defining thing about those who claim to be rationalists. In denying their own failings and the human tendency to be irrational, they are in fact less rational than the average person. At least some angry jackass who wants to punch you in the face is aware he's angry and knows he's acting on it. Rationalists act on their emotions while denying they're doing it. Not only is it dumb, it cripples their ability to look back on their actions and improve themselves. The angry jackass might look back on his actions and realize his anger is a problem. A rationalist will just deny they were angry and act as though what they did was a rational course of action. They also fail to realize that emotions are pretty rational when you don't take them to the extreme. Fear gets you away from danger. Anger gets you to neutralize danger. Without emotions we dumb monkeys would have died long ago because our ancestors were too dumb to run away from lions.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ikanreed posted:

I really really hate this "there's a Gene for x" simplistic thinking that underlies all their eugenics too. We barely have a reliable assays for identifying if a variant genome is likely to be cancerous compared to host invariant, even though genes play a fairly direct role in that. And those assays cost billions with a b to develop.

It's important to remember that these people are all dumb as poo poo and treat science like it's a tech tree in a video game

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Driving someone to suicide. Gah, that makes me so angry. All the other mess just makes it even worse. Why are people who claim to be the pinnacle of humanity such assholes to fellow humans. It makes me sick.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's important to remember that these people are all dumb as poo poo and treat science like it's a tech tree in a video game

And intelligence like it's a stat you dump points into. Which they obviously did, unlike those idiots who put them into strength or charisma. The fact that they believe all this poo poo just shows how smart it must be!

And the AI god will obviously put all its points into intelligence and it'll use those points to make itself smarter until it has infinity billion intelligence points like Pun-Pun at which point it will solve all of our problems and make us all immortal, please give money to our large sad kung-fu leader.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Scott Alexander has weighed in at last. His response will fail to surprise you in any manner!

tumblr post, text posted to the sneerclub thread.

tl;dr he blackens her name as hard as he can, while admitting that he can't actually claim her accusations - which btw are multiply attested - are false as such.

This actually lowered my opinion of Scott, which I can assure you took some doing.

I don't want to write about these people any more. Unfortunately, I probably have to at least assist the victims finding someone who can write up the horrible poo poo and do it justice.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The fun part is that, by writing that, he essentially admits that the smarter than thou crowd let at least one clearly toxic person poo poo up their community for years, whenever they are the actual victim or the actual perpetrator, and that it had no counter-measure to the presence of lovely people in its midst.

E: Well someone pointed it out in the reddit thread already, and in comprehensible, too.

SIGSEGV has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Jun 24, 2018

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Somfin posted:

And intelligence like it's a stat you dump points into. Which they obviously did, unlike those idiots who put them into strength or charisma. The fact that they believe all this poo poo just shows how smart it must be!

And the AI god will obviously put all its points into intelligence and it'll use those points to make itself smarter until it has infinity billion intelligence points like Pun-Pun at which point it will solve all of our problems and make us all immortal, please give money to our large sad kung-fu leader.

It works in Morrowind, so it must work in real life! (I seriously think this is where a non-negligible portion of them got it from.)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
or tl;dr on Scott's post:

"bitch be cray, ignore the crazy lady"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

It works in Morrowind, so it must work in real life! (I seriously think this is where a non-negligible portion of them got it from.)

Combine that with not understanding IQ and bingo. Remember that the median self-reported IQ for LW is something like 140.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

stab stabby posted:

Edit: He fully, wholeheartedly believed this, and kept challenging me on my assumption that death is inevitable - "well you only think that death is inevitable because we haven't defeated death yet"

The anti-deathist faction of these guys is so weird, like this obnoxious "Fable of the Dragon Tyrant". This stupid thing made me almost anti-allegory. I think, as a general rule, if you have to reduce human society to babby fairy tale idiot mode to explain your concept, you also might demonstrate that you are only thinking of human society in babby fairy tale idiot terms.

SIGSEGV posted:

The fun part is that, by writing that, he essentially admits that the smarter than thou crowd let at least one clearly toxic person poo poo up their community for years

Ah but you see, the population-level studies will always show that high-IQ people do these things better, so they can never be disproven by any individual level events. Nevermind that the high-IQ people in the population studies are enmeshed in normal society, not high-IQ cults, so they might not apply at all, shhhh no, here, look here's two overlapping bell curves; I win the argument.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Aschlafly posted:

I'm always amazed to discover there are still people who have negative opinions about her other than "maybe don't date her if you are gung-ho about monogamy".

Much like with George Soros, when shitheads find a villain they'll obsess over them.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

divabot posted:

or tl;dr on Scott's post:

"bitch be cray, ignore the crazy lady"

tumblr tried to make me log on to see that stuff. I think it was so terrible he took his blog private. Anyone have a cp?

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

tumblr tried to make me log on to see that stuff. I think it was so terrible he took his blog private. Anyone have a cp?

https://pastebin.com/raw/YTCmWD5s (edit: it is copied into a comment in the reddit post linked above tho)

It's about what you'd expect from a guy who thinks society is too squeamish about medications with fatal side effects. He's probably one of those psychos that thinks a speck of dust in everyone's eye is worse than torturing one person to death over 40 years.

Sax Solo has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
he’s of a kind with the Yudkowsky cult which definitely believes that