Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

azurite posted:

If I remember correctly, one of the main reasons the machine was dangerous was because the hardware interlock had been removed. It was in a prior model with similar software, but they thought it was no longer necessary.rationalized themselves into thinking that software safeties alone are sufficient on a potentially lethal machine so they could save a few extra dollars on each machine.

Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:

Genderfluent posted:

Tbf if your hardware interlock is "blows a fuse" I would argue the interlock needs some more engineering
It's been a while since I read up on this, and I think they intentionally made it blow the fuse because it guaranteed that everything would come to a screeching halt, not matter what the operator did.
Few things say 'you done hosed up' like releasing the magic smoke.

I'm sure that somewhere, some technician replaced 'that drat fuse that keeps blowing for no reason' with a penny.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Also, on/off ramps are a sometimes food on that highway. Was lots of fun on the bus back the other direction, which had to occasionally stop at small villages that required getting off the highway and backtracking down a dirt road for 15 minutes.
Please do not eat ramps.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Splicer posted:

Please do not eat ramps.

Do toblerone or cheese wedges count?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Splicer posted:

Please do not eat ramps.

gently caress you ramps are delicious https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_tricoccum

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

Do toblerone or cheese wedges count?

Please do not eat concrete and rebar.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I love ramp.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have a guilty habit of not making way for people who don't pay attention to the fact that they're in a turn-only lane when they want to go straight

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
More degeneracy from the FB group for roofers I'm stalking for marketing reasons:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Fallom posted:

I have a guilty habit of not making way for people who don't pay attention to the fact that they're in a turn-only lane when they want to go straight

Also the opposite of this on on-ramps. I am not going to brake or speed up so you can merge when I am driving a dock truck loaded with like 12000 lbs of cargo. I also will not care when you honk at me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

More degeneracy from the FB group for roofers I'm stalking for marketing reasons:

It's okay, you can't get drunk on those.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

PostNouveau posted:

Staying hydrated.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Genderfluent posted:

Tbf if your hardware interlock is "blows a fuse" I would argue the interlock needs some more engineering

Blowing a fuse is actually a pretty good one though?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Relentless posted:

Staying hydrated.

Beer has electrolytes!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

It's okay, you can't get drunk on those.

work beer

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Beer has electrolytes!

Workers in the past historically drank low-alcohol beers throughout the day for energy and calories in addition to refreshment, so really he's just keeping up tradition.

I've actually gotten to drink Westvleteren and Westmalle Abbey's patersbiers (low-alcohol golden ales for the monks at mealtime) and they're honestly pretty great, Westvleteren Blonde especially. Like a more complex, heartier version of a lager.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

chitoryu12 posted:

Workers in the past historically drank low-alcohol beers throughout the day for energy and calories in addition to refreshment, so really he's just keeping up tradition.

I've actually gotten to drink Westvleteren and Westmalle Abbey's patersbiers (low-alcohol golden ales for the monks at mealtime) and they're honestly pretty great, Westvleteren Blonde especially. Like a more complex, heartier version of a lager.

I believe this is where the term "session beer" comes from.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

chitoryu12 posted:

Plus it was a whole lot safer than most sources of water.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Zil posted:

Using water to brew beer doesn't magically render it safe.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

GotLag posted:

Using water to brew beer doesn't magically render it safe.

You boil the wort pre-fermentation, which makes it safer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zil posted:

Apparently a bit of a myth? https://leslefts.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-great-medieval-water-myth.html?m=1

People were drunk like 24/7 in the 18th/19th centuries at least

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, I've heard the story used as an example in several different contexts as well, ranging from workplace safety to ergonomics to task procedures to software design to mechanical engineering.

1) the mechanical engineers should have designed the machine with a hardware interlock to prevent the electron beam from firing at full power unless the shield was in place
2) the software engineers/testing team should have detected and fixed the race condition before approving the code
3) the steps in the operating procedure should have been extremely clear and rigid (or even software-limited) to reduce the chance of the error occurring
4) in the case of an error, the user interface should have given comprehensible error messages and/or should require a full reset of the system to a known state before proceeding
5) once the problem was discovered, the AECL's fix should have been more robust than "put a piece of tape over the Back button so that you can't use it any more"

All the safety features in the world won't stop idiocy or workplace complacency. A long read, but the report below shows that some people just really want to be irradiated.

https://www-pub.iaea.org/books/iaeabooks/4712/The-Radiological-Accident-at-the-Irradiation-Facility-in-Nesvizh

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

Apparently a bit of a myth? https://leslefts.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-great-medieval-water-myth.html?m=1

People were drunk like 24/7 in the 18th/19th centuries at least

It's a myth. Water was mentioned constantly in historical texts, just not with any sort of reverence because it was a plain and boring beverage that didn't even get you wasted. The only time you'd have to worry about water pollution is if you were in an area with seriously polluted water, like an urban area where people are dumping literal poo poo in the river. Even then, the ancient peoples weren't idiots. They could tell when water was bad and knew that boiling it purified it.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Beer/wine and tea, mother nature's way of tricking us into sanitizing water via addictive substances.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Beer/wine and tea, mother nature's way of tricking us into sanitizing water via addictive substances.

Tea is addictive?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Locator posted:

Tea is addictive?

Caffeine is, no?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Dump truck driver dies after being electrocuted at construction site in south Lexington

quote:

Fayette County Coroner Gary Ginn told WKYT that the man who died had been using the dump truck to move debris into a pit at the site near Squires Road and Easthills Drive. When he raised the dump truck up, it came in contact with power lines and caught fire, the coroner said.

Lexington Fire Department Battalion Chief Chris Ward said the man was electrocuted when he tried to get out of the truck.

WKYT reported that the man's brother-in-law was shocked while trying to help him, but Ward said no one was taken to the hospital by ambulance.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wonder who decided this parking garage didn't need an actual barrier around each floor.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I wonder what kind of force the car had, was it someone who just didn't hit the brakes right or was it someone who gunned it in an attempt to launch? I'm guessing the latter would be from the top floor though

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zil posted:

this is a bit of a myth - it wasn't until more intense urbanization in the later middle ages/beginning of the early modern period that you started having water problems, which peaked during the industrial era. groundwater is mostly decent to drink so long as you dont have too many humans dipping into it

like most stories about how medieval people were filthy and stupid, these were stories told by industrial age people to excuse how they were all choking on smog and dying of cholera

e: remember that the romans built great big aqueducts to ship water around, pouring it out of fountains for public collection and consumption, and this was a super big deal in terms of civil infrastructure and basically allowed romans to build cities wherever they liked instead of directly near a source of fresh water

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 23, 2018

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

boner confessor posted:

e: remember that the romans built great big aqueducts to ship water around, pouring it out of fountains for public collection and consumption, and this was a super big deal in terms of civil infrastructure and basically allowed romans to build cities wherever they liked instead of directly near a source of fresh water

They also pioneered septic systems

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

PainterofCrap posted:

They also pioneered septic systems

Yeah stabbing people with a dirty sword is a good way to make them develop sepsis.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
For this thread I'm assuming it's daycare sans eye protection (yoinked from the gif thread):

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Sentient Data posted:

I wonder what kind of force the car had, was it someone who just didn't hit the brakes right or was it someone who gunned it in an attempt to launch? I'm guessing the latter would be from the top floor though

I could see being parked in front of the wires, throwing the car into gear instead of reverse, then in a panic hitting the gas instead of the brakes.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
How horrible is xylene in regards to skin contact out of curiosity? I've noticed people use it a lot at work to clean their hands. Most of the time just with a rag but I've literally seen a guy pour the poo poo out on his hands and wash them. Seems like a dumb thing to regularly do, although I'm sure a little bit getting on you probably isn't the end of the world.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Otteration posted:

For this thread I'm assuming it's daycare sans eye protection (yoinked from the gif thread):

The gently caress even are those?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

How horrible is xylene in regards to skin contact out of curiosity? I've noticed people use it a lot at work to clean their hands. Most of the time just with a rag but I've literally seen a guy pour the poo poo out on his hands and wash them. Seems like a dumb thing to regularly do, although I'm sure a little bit getting on you probably isn't the end of the world.

The fumes make you puke yellow bile I know that much

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

The gently caress even are those?

popsicle sticks carefully braided together so that they're bent slightly and launch themselves when there's nothing holding them anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

boner confessor posted:

this is a bit of a myth - it wasn't until more intense urbanization in the later middle ages/beginning of the early modern period that you started having water problems, which peaked during the industrial era. groundwater is mostly decent to drink so long as you dont have too many humans dipping into it

like most stories about how medieval people were filthy and stupid, these were stories told by industrial age people to excuse how they were all choking on smog and dying of cholera

i wish to learn more about this because it sounds extremely cool and Meaningful, where can I learn more?