Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Nancy Pelosi also apparently voted against the Iraq War, which I didn't know and is kind of fascinating.

Nancy Pelosi, while not exactly good, is the one figure who frequently shows up in discussion about the Democrats who probably has worse of a reputation than she deserves. People frequently lump her together with people like Schumer or Feinstein, but she really isn't as bad as them. She's probably the best example of right-wing propaganda combined with misogyny influencing perceptions. That being said, I don't want to sound too defensive here, because she's still bad. It's just important to keep things in perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Ytlaya posted:

Nancy Pelosi, while not exactly good, is the one figure who frequently shows up in discussion about the Democrats who probably has worse of a reputation than she deserves. People frequently lump her together with people like Schumer or Feinstein, but she really isn't as bad as them. She's probably the best example of right-wing propaganda combined with misogyny influencing perceptions. That being said, I don't want to sound too defensive here, because she's still bad. It's just important to keep things in perspective.

She really is that bad, in the exact same vein as Schumer and Feinstein. Corporate controlled, more worried about fundraising and toeing the party line than actually trying to enact decent legislation that will help people. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if she wasn't Minority Leader/Speaker in waiting, but she is.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah I remember looking up her Iraq War vote a while back and I was pleasantly surprised to see she voted against it.

There's really no excuse for anyone that voted for it, loving Nancy Pelosi was able to see Bush was full of poo poo, what's everyone else's excuse.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Nancy Pelosi's main flaw is that she genuinely believes the part would die without her, and thus does everything she can to keep hold of her power, entrenching the corrupt old guard and blocking the new generation from a well deserved growing space.

Actually that's a rather big flaw, isn't it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

MANime in the sheets posted:

She really is that bad, in the exact same vein as Schumer and Feinstein. Corporate controlled, more worried about fundraising and toeing the party line than actually trying to enact decent legislation that will help people. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if she wasn't Minority Leader/Speaker in waiting, but she is.

I think you might be understating just how terrible Schumer is, to be honest.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's possible that Pelosi is just too set in her ways and super clueless about post-escalator world politics instead of an outright Schumer-esque ghoul, but that doesn't mean much in practical terms as they both still need to go.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Cerebral Bore posted:

post-escalator

sorry, can someone explain this? Seen it here a couple times

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's possible that Pelosi is just too set in her ways and super clueless about post-escalator world politics instead of an outright Schumer-esque ghoul, but that doesn't mean much in practical terms as they both still need to go.

https://youtu.be/MR65ZhO6LGA

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Barry Convex posted:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'll support replacing Pelosi when I hear a good plan for exactly who we're replacing her with.

It's fine to be lolrandom accellerationist burnitall or whatever but let's take a look at Steny Hoyer, her likely successor if removed

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1010280125961785344

oooooh ok yeah let's stick with Pelosi until you have a worthwhile replacement lined up

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Third in line is Crowley who's a N.Y. dem ghoul who I'm voting against on Tuesday on the primaries. It's poo poo allllll the way down.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I've felt some sympathy towards Pelosi, if only because it feels like she's stuck serving as a mouthpiece for whatever the party officials's stances are/testing the waters. Maybe she is clueless enough to say "we're capitalists", but that deffo feels like "someone backstage was hoping this would get applause".

She also catches flak for being the general face of congress dens. Ask random mooks before the latest elections which dem congresscritter controls the rest and I'd bet you'd hear more Pelosi's than Schumer's

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Matt Zerella posted:

Third in line is Crowley who's a N.Y. dem ghoul who I'm voting against on Tuesday on the primaries. It's poo poo allllll the way down.

serious post if anyone wants to canvas for ocasio-cortez this weekend pm me.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Neurolimal posted:

I've felt some sympathy towards Pelosi, if only because it feels like she's stuck serving as a mouthpiece for whatever the party officials's stances are/testing the waters. Maybe she is clueless enough to say "we're capitalists", but that deffo feels like "someone backstage was hoping this would get applause".

She also catches flak for being the general face of congress dens. Ask random mooks before the latest elections which dem congresscritter controls the rest and I'd bet you'd hear more Pelosi's than Schumer's

Well, that's a really fundamental problem, not something to be sympathetic towards. If not even the loving minority leader can stand up to the proposed message and call it out for the garbage it is, then who can?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Neurolimal posted:

I've felt some sympathy towards Pelosi, if only because it feels like she's stuck serving as a mouthpiece for whatever the party donor stances are/testing the waters. Maybe she is clueless enough to say "we're capitalists", but that deffo feels like she knows who keeps her there.

Ftfy. I'm really not trying to shitpost here. I'm phone posting and it was just easier to edit.

Also I'll agree the Schumer is a million times worse than Pelosi. But I still hate them both.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

oooooh ok yeah let's stick with Pelosi until you have a worthwhile replacement lined up

Chelsea Manning

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Barry Convex posted:

Shorthand for the age of Trump, where the old political received wisdom is dead.

I'll support replacing Pelosi when I hear a good plan for exactly who we're replacing her with.

It's fine to be lolrandom accellerationist burnitall or whatever but let's take a look at Steny Hoyer, her likely successor if removed

Those fuckers need to go as well, buddo.

E: Also it's a pretty good sign of not having learned anything to still be scaremongering about changing something that obviously isn't loving working.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Ytlaya posted:

Steny Hoyer admitted to rigging elections for centrists and when the tape came out Nancy Pelosi said, and I quote: "of course we loving do that, you idiots".

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I'll hand this to Pelosi though: at least she panders to conservative Republicans that actually loving exist. Can't say the same for Schumer.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cerebral Bore posted:

Shorthand for the age of Trump, where the old political received wisdom is dead.

Those fuckers need to go as well, buddo.

I didn't say they didn't, I said I wanted to hear the plan. Like, name names. Who are the candidates you want to replace her with. Are they in congress already? Are they running in specific races?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hoyer aint great, but he's way, way, way better than Pelosi.

CrimsonWolf
Aug 4, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

That might be the single wrongest thing I have ever read.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

On what merits, exactly? He seems pretty trash to me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MANime in the sheets posted:

I think it might help if you interpret what I said more as "folks like Schumer or Feinstein are even worse" rather than complimenting Pelosi. Pelosi is very "normal Democrat" bad, which is still very bad, while Schumer is bad even by normal Democrat standards (to the extent that many of the people who normally defend Democrats on this forum won't even defend him).

Like, if I were specifically wanting to name people who represent the worst of the Democratic Party, I wouldn't include her in the list. But she is very indicative of the deep problems that apply to most of the party (like the aforementioned thing about her just confirming what Hoyer said about attempting to rig primaries).

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Well yeah, assuming the caucus revolts and doesn't elect Pelosi, they sure aren't going to vote for Steny loving Hoyer.

This is a just meaningless talk, since we know it will be her if the Dems take back the house.

The primary meddling pisses me off more than the policy positions of those in charge because it means the whole 'change the party in the primaries' is largely impossible. Bernie certainly isn't having much luck supporting challengers.

I would suggest Keith Ellison, but he's leaving the House to run for MN AG, so....

If the Dems do win the House, selecting a speaker will be interesting. It's going to be a small majority, and they may not be able to get 218 votes inside the party. And the way the GOP is running against her, she may not be able to pick up many votes on the other side of the aisle to make up the difference.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fun fact I just learned, since companies are shady as poo poo and don't tell the public anything...the army is gonna start carting like 120k tons of radioactive dirt from Ohio to our local dump! It's less than half a mile from my home.

Here's the thing that makes me doubt these fuckers word, they say it can go anywhere, but if that's the case why can't it stay in an Ohio dump? Because Wayne county needs the money?

https://twitter.com/angry_mulatto/status/1010507331774316549?s=19

gently caress the Army. gently caress Snyder. gently caress this loving poo poo hole state. I don't know why I'm even trying to make this place better it's just going to poison me literally and figuratively.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
It's because Wayne Disposal is the closest facility to that town that's experienced in handling actual hazardous waste (which this isn't, legally.) Don't stress over some literal dirt, Detroit already has plenty of beryllium and lead waste, plus plenty of exotic nasties from fuckin car manufacturers to poison us. :argh:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Koalas March posted:

Fun fact I just learned, since companies are shady as poo poo and don't tell the public anything...the army is gonna start carting like 120k tons of radioactive dirt from Ohio to our local dump! It's less than half a mile from my home.

Here's the thing that makes me doubt these fuckers word, they say it can go anywhere, but if that's the case why can't it stay in an Ohio dump? Because Wayne county needs the money?

https://twitter.com/angry_mulatto/status/1010507331774316549?s=19

gently caress the Army. gently caress Snyder. gently caress this loving poo poo hole state. I don't know why I'm even trying to make this place better it's just going to poison me literally and figuratively.

I still don't understand how Snyder ducked any official responsibility for a policy that directly led to poisoning an entire city's water supply.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Car Hater posted:

It's because Wayne Disposal is the closest facility to that town that's experienced in handling actual hazardous waste (which this isn't, legally.) Don't stress over some literal dirt, Detroit already has plenty of beryllium and lead waste, plus plenty of exotic nasties from fuckin car manufacturers to poison us. :argh:

It shows how effectively the well has been poisoned with respect to nuclear technology that some dirt with NORM levels below a hazardous classification triggers a NIMBY response.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

eat the dirt, become a dirt-themed superhero

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

flashman posted:

It shows how effectively the well has been poisoned with respect to nuclear technology that some dirt with NORM levels below a hazardous classification triggers a NIMBY response.

On the other hand, people ought to be wary when the government decides it wants to ship suspicious sounding waste to predominantly POC communities, even if scientifically speaking the waste is nominally safe.

Especially in Michigan, given Flint.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Koalas March posted:

I know why.

You’re not doing it for yourself, because you’re a tremendously selfless person, and you want to help future generations. Also because you know that doing good things triggers the fascists and makes them shriek with rage.

Just don’t try to do it all on your own. Even T’Challa needs his team.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

On the other hand, people ought to be wary when the government decides it wants to ship suspicious sounding waste to predominantly POC communities, even if scientifically speaking the waste is nominally safe.

:agreed:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

In general this is why I consider it dumb to apply the standard disdain for NIMBY-ism to poor and/or POC communities, especially as it relates to environmental and health issues - there's typically an extremely good loving reason behind it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://twitter.com/laurie_garrett/status/1010205853985792000?s=21

A thread.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/olympiajoe/status/1010318153342021632?s=21

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

I can see the appeal of some of that from a small-government-pro-business-gently caress-the-poor-pro-job-creators-audit-the-fed-bootstraps-baby! angle, but what the gently caress is wrong with the FAA? I thought having standards to keep planes in good repair and not crashing into each other was a good thing.

I guess the airlines will figure it out and do it cheaper on their own because ~red tape~ and taxes? Why not shut down the DoD and put Raytheon in charge of defense, since they're sooooooo good at keeping costs down?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
You know the instant they created "The Department of Welfare" there would be a push to eliminate that department entirely, which would not be difficult politically because it's called "The Department of Welfare".

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Lightning Knight posted:

Being generally suspicious of the government is definitely correct strategy. Specifically being suspicious of known to be safe stuff is conspiracy theory land. Flint is bad because we know lead is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

I can see the appeal of some of that from a small-government-pro-business-gently caress-the-poor-pro-job-creators-audit-the-fed-bootstraps-baby! angle, but what the gently caress is wrong with the FAA? I thought having standards to keep planes in good repair and not crashing into each other was a good thing.

NavCanada, which provides air traffic services in Canadian airspace, is a private not-for-profit and by all accounts it's far better than the FAA at it, according to both controllers and pilots, so privatization is not be awful if done correctly. We still have laws and regulations set by the government, but just like pilots, the controllers are not in the direct employment of the government despite having to do their jobs according to those laws and regulations.

That being said, I have 0% faith in the Trump administration or the Republicans in general doing it correctly, so I fully expect it would be a complete shitshow if attempted in the USA.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 23, 2018

• Locked thread