Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arctic Bunny
Aug 3, 2012

A PERFECT LOOKING NOSE
Can Easily Be Yours

chumbler posted:

The final case of AA7 is Athena v. Provinstate of Japanifornia to allow Nick to marry Edgeworth. I don't know how this would result from a murder case, but who cares about details?

That would be bigamy though, the reason for Gumshoe's absence is that he's Edgeworth's househusband and takes care of their doggies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

surf rock posted:

- I might be (and probably am) wrong about this, but it feels like the number of secondary characters in a given case has dropped over time. In any given case, it feels like I can say, "OK, our defendant is innocent, so one of the two witnesses did it. If one of them is a recurring character, it's the other person. If not, it's whoever gets less testimony initially." I feel like there's a dearth of minor characters and therefore possible red herrings. If you look at the whole cast, you've got a total of four people who are not main protagonists, main antagonists and/or criminals, clients, or victims: Bonny and her sister, Uendo, and Sarge. By comparison, case 1-3 alone had three in Cody, Penny, and Sal.

This is very noticeable in SoJ. Every case has two witnesses and one of them did it. I think it may be a consequence of the 3D shift: in the old days you could draw two sprites for the unimportant side character and be done with, but now you'll have to create the full model anyway so might as well make the best use of it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
How is Ema a bad investigator, exactly? She always correctly outlines the facts of the case and gives accurate testimony, and she’s capable of handling the usual Ace Attorney plot twist and following it through. The only exceptions are 4-3, where Klavier is actively dicking around and withholding evidence, and 6-6, which was written for Gumshoe. She may not be all that professional, but she was always the most competent of the detectives.

Also Godot was a good and unique prosecutor besides having a gimmick.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Detective Gumshoe also finished his arc; his salary went so negative it wrapped around

i know this is a joke but (AAI2) at the end of the game Edgeworth actually gives him a raise and that's the real ending of his arc.

Play AAI2 everyone

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

so you're saying, he's perpetually renting a gatewater suite with victor kudo where girls dressed like maids fan them and feed them grapes all day

also nick cmon man poo poo or get off the pot. propose to either maya or edgeworth already. actually at this rate iris will serve out her prison sentence

Capcom makes money off of Nick being a bachelor so this is unlikely to happen

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also the best way to resolve that would be to have a returning witness actually be the murderer

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's gonna be wild when Maya does commit a murder and Nick gets an innocent verdict before finding out.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
don't tell me you think wendy oldbag hasn't killed before

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

She killed my desire to keep playing at least

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Apollo still needs to be accused of a murder before he can join the family. Pearl too.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

surf rock posted:

- I think there's a lot of circumstantial evidence about Inga having a decent side and getting pushed around by Ga'ran, but it's super weird to me that the last case didn't really circle back to wrap up his story. Typically the series is really heavy-handed about stuff like that; I was sure that after the case we would have to present some kind of evidence to Rayfa to prove he loved her or something like that and it didn't happen.

another thing I thought was weird was people still assumed Inga was the one trying to steal the Founder's Orb for power even after Inga was discovered to have prosopagnosia. So clearly he wasn't trying to use it in a coup

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

mabels big day posted:

i know this is a joke but (AAI2) at the end of the game Edgeworth actually gives him a raise and that's the real ending of his arc.

Play AAI2 everyone

Speaking of AAI2 and SOJ y'all ever notice that Yamazaki has a thing for killer clowns?

Makes me wonder if it's a middle finger to Turnabout Big Top.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mabels big day posted:

Play AAI2 everyone

you are mistaken, this is the end of the Instant Noodles arc. Next is the Maggey Byrde Saga arc.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
AAI2 is set after AA3.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also the best way to resolve that would be to have a returning witness actually be the murderer

Darn right. if they're gonna try to make the most of their assets this seems like the best way.

Would be interesting to have more legal twists on the case like the original Steel Samurai one, where the murder is self-defense, or manslaughter in the orca case.

Or hell, for once to have a non-murder trial that remains so through the entire game. I was kinda hoping the second-last case of Spirit of Justice would come down to a genuine legal conflict of the Fey Clan and Kingdom of Khu'Rain having a conflict over the ownership of what amounts to a holy relic.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Pretty sure the orca case was 100% an accident, which is why the culprit was able to get out of prison so quickly.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Pretty sure the orca case was 100% an accident, which is why the culprit was able to get out of prison so quickly.

...I think I'm gonna be in my 40s when we're kayfabeposting that case. Jesus Blackfishing Christ.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

mabels big day posted:

Play AAI2 everyone

this

its so good

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

VivaLa Eeveelution posted:

...I think I'm gonna be in my 40s when we're kayfabeposting that case. Jesus Blackfishing Christ.

My sister just finished Yakuza 6, which takes place in 2016, and learned about Project X Zone 2. We theorized (spoilers for both AA1 and Yakuza 6) Mia was working on getting Daigo, Majima, and Saejima out of prison when she was murdered in 1-2 and Phoenix picks up the case between 1-3 and 1-4, which is roughly mid-October to early December of 2016. The timeline in Yakuza 6 is more unclear beyond it appears to be Chinese New Year at the start of the game, but it could work.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

My sister just finished Yakuza 6, which takes place in 2016, and learned about Project X Zone 2. We theorized (spoilers for both AA1 and Yakuza 6) Mia was working on getting Daigo, Majima, and Saejima out of prison when she was murdered in 1-2 and Phoenix picks up the case between 1-3 and 1-4, which is roughly mid-October to early December of 2016. The timeline in Yakuza 6 is more unclear beyond it appears to be Chinese New Year at the start of the game, but it could work.

That's good enough for me!

Man, we still got ten years of kayfabe ahead of us. And who knows what the games to come add.

But seriously tho, that Mask De Masque guy on the news is pretty slick. Maybe it's because of P5, but a noble thief sounds good for the world right about now...

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm at the third case of SoJ and the pacing in this game is weird. Supposedly this and the final case are the only "full length" ones? The first is the tutorial (though it definitely felt longer than usual), case two was 1 trial and investigation, and from what I've read the fourth case is only a trial again. I'm not going to complain since the investigation bits in all the games tend to drag (especially in the filler cases) and things have gotten too long once they switched over to 5 cases since that's way too much padding for its own good.

Also, those seances are a really dull gameplay feature and half the things they introduce in these games that aren't the trial bits don't tend to work too well - Athena's magical psychoanalysis computer still feels underdeveloped one and a half games in, and Apollo's bracelet powers might as well not exist. I think a ton of the issues these games have could be fixed if they went back to having one main character, but after AJ's failure and how reactionary Capcom (and especially game companies in general) tend to be I doubt that'll happen. There's a ton of interesting character development for Apollo in DD/SOJ so far, but it's ruined by having to share screen time with Phoenix whose character arc already ended three games ago*. I don't mind Athena and think her case in DD was the highlight of the game, but she's also another character who should have her own game instead, which is even less likely considering she's a ~~female character~~ and, once again, this is Capcom we're talking about.

* It's also disappointing that the first case of DD (and his interactions with Apollo/Athena in their chapters) has him being competent and a good mix of his trilogy/AJ self then the writers slowly give up on it and by the end of the game - which has the weakest and dullest final case/antagonist in the series so far- he's fully reverted back to his original trilogy self and is an absolute moron to the point where even Edgeworth lampshades it. SoJ isn't being too good about this aspect either.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I share your objections and thought case 3 dragged on a bit, and I'll add that I hate how they insist that every game needs to have higher stakes than the last. 3 had my favorite ending since they wrapped up the high-stakes stuff halfway through and dedicated rest the trial to resolving Godot's character arc. Stick with the game, though. I think you'll like where it goes.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'm going to be so annoyed if the next Ace Attorney game just goes ahead and puts Phoenix at the center of everything again. Or, alternately, if they introduce another male attorney protagonist. I mean, there are problems with Athena, but they're easily resolvable by putting her in the foreground and giving her the chance to prove herself without serious back-up. Maybe have her first case be by herself with no co-counsel?
also I like her emotions thing much more than the Seance, or Apollo's bracelet. More could be done with it, and it was under-utilized in SoJ (as was Athena in general). Maybe I'd make a few tweaks, but I like the idea that confused emotions can distort people's memories of events. It's true to life! and this imagines a method by which those distortions could be cleared up, to get more accurate testimony out of a witness.
and even if DID was portrayed a bit weirdly (although honestly Uendo is closer to actual DID than 90% of DID pop culture portrayals), using it to throw the mechanic for a loop was clever.
I don't know how I'd improve it. Maybe have it so there's times where two emotional reactions in different bits of testimony contradict each other?

My feeling about SoJ is that it isn't as coherent as DD, but it has a more satisfying final case and better endgame villain. Also the first part of the 5th case is one of my favorite trials in the series, for numerous reasons, but at least 50% SARGE. :3:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I wonder if since Takumi is done with vs Layton and DaiGyaku, if he's going to be brought back to the main series in 7. Not that I don't like what the new writing crew is doing, it's just dude's gotta do SOMETHING.

E: Ghost Trick 2! Make me Ghost Trick 2!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tbh I wouldn't be that upset if Takumi never came back, considering the weaknesses that Apollo Justice and Layton Vs. had.

I played all of Ghost Trick and can remember almost nothing about it, so I'm gonna consider that a huge mark against the game and therefore Takumi as well.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Tbh I wouldn't be that upset if Takumi never came back, considering the weaknesses that Apollo Justice and Layton Vs. had.

I played all of Ghost Trick and can remember almost nothing about it, so I'm gonna consider that a huge mark against the game and therefore Takumi as well.

Actually it's a huge mark against you.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah for real, I tend to forget cases here and there with AA. Ghost Trick however has burned itself into my brain because I was so into it

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I feel like making a sequel to Ghost Trick would be a bad idea. Even though I really don't like how it ended, it was still a very nice contained story, and I think Takumi is better off doing more of those.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sudden Javelin posted:

Yeah for real, I tend to forget cases here and there with AA. Ghost Trick however has burned itself into my brain because I was so into it
Its basically the opposite for me. I can remember most AA cases pretty well, and even the bad cases usually are memorable in some fashion.

Ghost Trick left me with basically nothing despite the unique premise.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I’m honestly not a fan of Athena and would much rather see more Apollo if we’re moving forward with one of the main attorneys, but I will grant that she has far more room to grow. I would love to see a post-time skip Franziska or a more established and grown up version of Athena though. I’m not sure what my objection is, because I loved rookie Mia but hated the Dahlia cases.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sudden Javelin posted:

the only thing ghost trick burned into my brain was how awful the puzzles in the park were

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I loved rookie Mia but hated the Dahlia cases.

spoken like a true believer in edgewright otp

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The White Dragon posted:

spoken like a true believer in edgewright otp

I don’t see how that follows from what I said?

I mean, not that you’re wrong. Edgeworth is clearly hella gay for Nick, even if the reverse is more ambivalent.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don’t see how that follows from what I said?

because all the dahlia cases involve nick getting lovey dovey with iris instead of miles edgeworth

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, that’s fair.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
not having Franzy back yet is a missed opportunity. Though I get why it would've been hard to do for either DD or SoJ. but the way AAI 1&2 use her is very, very cool, and bringing her back as a badass globetrotting crime-syndicate fighting prosecutor would be neat.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Franzy is cool and if they do any more spin-off things she should definitely show up, but the mainline games need way less returning characters not more.

I guess it'd be alright if instead of the one case Edgeworth appearance she showed up instead though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If she comes back, she should be a supporting character to the new prosecutor, who is her protege. I just decided this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

If she comes back, she should be a supporting character to the new prosecutor, who is her protege. I just decided this.

Kameleon von Karma

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

The new prosecutor......

is Adrian Andrews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

i've been replaying AA6, and I think my favorite part of the game is the point where Phoenix and Apollo start a political revolution within a few days of getting there

also, Apollo's powerful final finger point is really good