Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Turtlicious posted:

Whatever I handed him the letter my attorney wrote and my attorney said to stop posting here about this which blows because I want advice and help and to vent.

Your lawyer's advice is far more valuable than ours, sometimes you just can't post about poo poo :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My general rule is to give the amount of notice that you think they'll give you if they decide it's not working out. This number is generally zero.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I regret giving notice, it complicated everything.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

POST THE LETTER

don't

Post the e-mails. Trust me, we always need the e-mails.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if my attorney told me im going to be rich, and he's going to be rich, and he's going to name a boat after me, would that be something unsafe to post online?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

More to the point, can you sue him for breach of contract if he instead names the boat after his mistress?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bad Munki posted:

More to the point, can you sue him for breach of contract if he instead names the boat after his mistress?

that seems like a uniquely hosed up proposition, who would represent someone suing their previous attorney?!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you everyone who helped me and engaged w/ me, I'm gonna move forward with my attorney, but it sounds like everything is going to be alright :D

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Bad Munki posted:

The Stinky Bilge could really go either way.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s part of her charm.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The attorney said that the law says the inspector should have looked closer. Basically.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Nevvy Z posted:

The attorney said that the law says the inspector should have looked closer. Basically.
This is why inspectors are bonded and insured.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

This is why inspectors are bonded and insured.

I think the term for that is surety

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Hoshi posted:

I think the term for that is surety

Of course it is.

And don't call me Surety!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Thank you everyone who helped me and engaged w/ me, I'm gonna move forward with my attorney, but it sounds like everything is going to be alright :D

Lol this is actually worrying. Did your lawyer really promise you the moon? That is often a very bad sign.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Nevvy Z posted:

How do you have this many weird problems. Why does your wife have a separate apartment. What law school did you go to?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah I regret giving notice, it complicated everything.

Never give notice unless you have the cash to cover your life until your next job starts. Just leave. I wish you'd asked about giving notice in the other thread, because everyone would have advised you not to, given this dude's shenanigans to date.

We live, we learn.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

AlbieQuirky posted:

Never give notice unless you have the cash to cover your life until your next job starts. Just leave. I wish you'd asked about giving notice in the other thread, because everyone would have advised you not to, given this dude's shenanigans to date.

We live, we learn.

Post. That. Thread!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Maybe if you have a poo poo job working retail or something don't give notice but if you work a professional job in a particular industry/region, you shouldn't burn bridges like that. The world has a habit of being very, very small. E.G. I just changed jobs and gave a month notice (which was too much, 2 weeks would've been fine). As luck would have it the person interviewing me for my new job, used to work at a supplier I'd been to many times (which was ~1500 miles away) and we knew a lot of the same people. If I had just walked out, when he called them to ask about me they would've said, the rear end in a top hat just left, don't hire him. Instead I got an offer right away.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Professionals aren’t asking for advice here

But yes if you’re a professional you probably want to give like a month or 2 months notice

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Yeah know the size of your field

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Professionals aren’t asking for advice here

But yes if you’re a professional you probably want to give like a month or 2 months notice

Good advice if you're, like, a lawyer, a doctor, a project manager, or a C-level. Otherwise, you look at what's happened to other people who have put in their notice, and how they were treated. Most jobs aren't going to let you wait a month or two before you start, and two weeks is enough that anyone getting mad at you for only giving two weeks is being a loving rear end in a top hat.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Thanatosian posted:

Good advice if you're, like, a lawyer, a doctor, a project manager, or a C-level. Otherwise, you look at what's happened to other people who have put in their notice, and how they were treated. Most jobs aren't going to let you wait a month or two before you start, and two weeks is enough that anyone getting mad at you for only giving two weeks is being a loving rear end in a top hat.

If you're an engineer in a cube farm and give a month prepare for 30 continuous days for "HAY SHORT TIMER", "WHENS YOUR LAST DAY?". I got asked when my last day was no less than 500 times.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Last firm I left I gave 30 days to transition cases and I was basically done in 10. I hung around, came in late, took 2 hour lunches. On like the 21st day one of the managing partners said to me “Do you have any work to do? Your hours are low, did you need to stay 30 days?” And I said “I don’t know, I asked you how much time you wanted from me and you said 30 days but I can leave now if you want,” and he said no that’s okay. I don’t think I went back in again except to get my personal stuff and the files I was taking with me. They paid me through the 30 days lol.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

Maybe if you have a poo poo job working retail or something don't give notice

iPhone repair for a guy who paid him late and in cash. You tell me. Halfway down the page.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

AlbieQuirky posted:

iPhone repair for a guy who paid him late and in cash. You tell me. Halfway down the page.

Those kiosk owners have deep pockets, he’s definitely gonna buy a boat for that lawyer

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm guessing our phone boy isn't very savvy, since he didn't realize he can "just quit." I'm also guessing the lawyer has told him he'll win big, but it's gonna end up sad.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

He's really young. He'll learn.

My guess is that he'll probably be able to get unemployment, though, because it's California and you can get unemployment if you quit because of your employer's fuckery.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
If I went to probate court over 5 years ago when processing my deceased mother's will/estate, does the court keep a copy of that probated will as some sort of record that I could access? I no longer have all of that paperwork as it was a very distressing time in my life, but I've discovered that my state (TX) has "unclaimed property" in my mother's name from her old cell phone account. In order to claim it I have to provide the probated will OR file some affidavit of heirship if there never was a probated will (but there was).

Do I have any sort of course of action here or will that $45 just sit in the unclaimed property account forever because no one else can claim it?

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 25, 2018

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Doesn't hurt to call and ask, different states keep probate records for different periods of time. If something sits in unclaimed property long enough it escheats to the state.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

drat Bananas posted:

If I went to probate court over 5 years ago when processing my deceased mother's will/estate, does the court keep a copy of that probated will as some sort of record that I could access? I no longer have all of that paperwork as it was a very distressing time in my life, but I've discovered that my state (TX) has "unclaimed property" in my mother's name from her old cell phone account. In order to claim it I have to provide the probated will OR file some affidavit of heirship if there never was a probated will (but there was).

Do I have any sort of course of action here or will that $45 just sit in the unclaimed property account forever because no one else can claim it?

See if the county court in that county has records online by googling.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Thanks. The only thing I could find by google was a "Register of Actions" for the case but no will. I'll call up.

Update: I was able to get everything via phone/email (I don't live in the area), at the cost of $1 per page. Am very relieved it was so easy!

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 28, 2018

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i'm mad as heck iPhone repair guy won't tell us the details

when i was 15 i got a job at McDonald's. i worked there hntil i was 19, and when i put in my two weeks notice they just said 'wow we don't need that but thanks'. they offered me my scheduled shifts but i left that day totally amicably.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
When I was like 20 I was desperate and got a job at McDonald's. I went in for two hours of doing interactive training videos that would insult a fourth grader's intelligence, then broke my hand in an accident at home that night and by the time it healed I'd found a better job. Well that's the story of my two hour McDonald's career. I didn't even go in to pick up my $13.87 paycheck.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

drat Bananas posted:

Yes. In Texas probate documents are held by the county clerk. Call the county clerk of the county where you probated the will. If you have the cause number (it will be on the top front page of any court document you still have) it will be easier. Otherwise, the county clerk can look it up by the name of the decedent.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Oooh ooh I have a question for the thread rather than just reading and posting (badly) in it!

I did a degree through my previous employer's (Big Company) tuition reimbursement program. This degree program was portrayed by Big Company as a great thing for Big Company employees. Many execs at Big Company had the exact degree they were pushing. I did it and Big Company paid out $30k over 3 years for it but I left Big Company. The terms of repayment are repay in full 18 months from the start date of the class until the leave date. $15k of the $30k were within that time frame. When I gave notice, they sent me an email to my corporate email account demanding $17k. I replied via email that I am disputing the amount and demanded an accounting of that total and signatures proving I owed that much. The did not reply prior to me leaving the company. Two months after leaving they sent me the same letter (not certified mail) they emailed before demanding $17k within 30 days.

Thoughts on what to do? I am thinking a few things such as reply offering to pay a prorated amount, disputing, etc. Any options I'm not considering?

Bonus info:
Currently my role in this market is in very high demand and my new employer offers referral bonuses. I could easily collect >$17k in referral bonuses if I put some effort into it as I am very well connected with Big Company's employees still. Is saying in my offer to settle for a prorated amount how I didn't do this because I still like Big Company and wont do it if they agree to a lower amount going to haunt me?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
So you owe them 15k but they are claiming 17k?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

xxEightxx posted:

So you owe them 15k but they are claiming 17k?

Yep. I'd like to pay less than that though, and it'd prob be best for everyone if I do.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
You don’t want legal advice, you want don’t-be-a-douche advice. So here it is: don’t be a douche. Pay your debts. Don’t threaten people that put you through school with poaching all their employees so you can collect a referral bonus to pay your debts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

xxEightxx posted:

You don’t want legal advice, you want don’t-be-a-douche advice. So here it is: don’t be a douche. Pay your debts. Don’t threaten people that put you through school with poaching all their employees so you can collect a referral bonus to pay your debts.

Thanks but I don't actually want dont-be-a-douche advice. I'd like legal information or thoughts on the matter. I could make a decent case about Big Company being douches but I won't.

EDIT: And I definitely don't want to pay them more than I estimate they could claim that I owe.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 29, 2018