Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
im the brainfart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I like the implication in Dave's initial shock, like yeah he know what Hijack had been doing and decided to get up close and personal with a guy whose shtick is possession and only lucked out because of the fine print on those powers.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zerilan posted:

I feel like at this point with yet another character and new concept added in this now 280 page chapter, I've realized that the pacing probably feels better at this point if I just pretend the chapter divisions don't even exist. (If this chapter lasts 26 more pages it will become longer than 1-4 combined)

This isn't new. We actually got foreshadowing for this a few times, with various Consortium people talking about the Cousinhood of Man thinking there are "corrupted humans", or "monsters", inside Mayview, that aren't ghost-related/possessed people, and the glimpses of the Cousinhood we've gotten have looked like stereotypical vampire hunters. Also, Dave did just say he "used to be" a spectral, implying that he's something else now.

So, yeah, vampires were foreshadowed fairly clearly, if not especially loudly; the only surprising thing here is that it turns out Dave is one, though given his appearance (pale, scraggly hair, weird eyes, skin clinging to his skeleton, etc.) it kind of fits. And him being overly dramatic, because vampires are into that, though I guess everyone in this comic is. Still, we even had people here (such as myself) speculating that he's dead already, though the "vampire" part of that wasn't guessed.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 22, 2018

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hahahahahaha of course. I always wondered for a concept like this how it would work. Like we had information on how these rules work and it’s glorious that of course a goddamn vampire would be able to see ghosts.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 22, 2018

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zerilan posted:

I feel like at this point with yet another character and new concept added in this now 280 page chapter, I've realized that the pacing probably feels better at this point if I just pretend the chapter divisions don't even exist. (If this chapter lasts 26 more pages it will become longer than 1-4 combined)

This has been the case since around the end of Hitball, to be honest. Remember Hitball? That was this chapter. The chapter breaks really don't mean anything more than "and then Max slept the night".

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I continue to think Zach has a ton of ideas but no editor to winnow them down and no patience to put off introducing them and giving the audience a chance to breathe. I feel like ultimately, there’s just too much going on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
In some ways, Paranatural feels like a traditional 16-pages-an-issue comic that's going into a trade paperback, in that it's clearly going to be most enjoyable in a single binge sitting rather than piecemeal like this.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I’ve said it before but this chapter is fine. He just needed to split it in two after hitball ended.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Everything leading up to hitball and hitball itself was cool. I was not feeling the part right after hitball and before Hijack reveal (and thats no small flaw, considering how many months it took to get through it), but the reveal of Hijack was great and imho retroactively made the part preceding it a lot better. Everything after Hijack reveal is good again.

So yeah, overall, the chapter had been fine. The main issue is glacial pace of updates, but there is nothing that can be done about that, so.... :shrug:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zerilan posted:

I've realized that the pacing probably feels better at this point if I just pretend the chapter divisions don't even exist.

Why would you care about them in the first place?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

Everything leading up to hitball and hitball itself was cool. I was not feeling the part right after hitball and before Hijack reveal (and thats no small flaw, considering how many months it took to get through it), but the reveal of Hijack was great and imho retroactively made the part preceding it a lot better. Everything after Hijack reveal is good again.

So yeah, overall, the chapter had been fine. The main issue is glacial pace of updates, but there is nothing that can be done about that, so.... :shrug:

literally everything involving the school store should have been cut

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Or done at a different point to trim down the number of parallel scenes going on for a lot of the chapter.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
hey so speaking of foreshadowing what do yall think is up with Boss Leader, the mysteriously powerful being who has a special interest in Max and whom we have no idea as to their actual status among the living. Consider; Boss Leader is wrapped up like a mummy. Double consider; she actually straight out refers to Max as son.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raposa posted:

hey so speaking of foreshadowing what do yall think is up with Boss Leader, the mysteriously powerful being who has a special interest in Max and whom we have no idea as to their actual status among the living. Consider; Boss Leader is wrapped up like a mummy. Double consider; she actually straight out refers to Max as son.

if that were to actually be the case id be really loving entertained

WALL of SCIENCE!
Feb 8, 2003

I'm good. You good?
I was juuuust reading through the archives a bit and saw this page which foreshadows a certain local business owner.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WALL of SCIENCE! posted:

I was juuuust reading through the archives a bit and saw this page which foreshadows a certain local business owner.

Hand instead of hook though, even if the outfit is the exact same. Unless he wears a fake hand sometimes. But if he was the school president, why wouldn't the student council know him as anything other than a local business owner?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
lol he said "defanged" just a page or two ago, what a card

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Podima posted:

Hand instead of hook though, even if the outfit is the exact same. Unless he wears a fake hand sometimes. But if he was the school president, why wouldn't the student council know him as anything other than a local business owner?

Outfit isn't the same, the president's tie is red while Davy's is black.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Who What Now posted:

Outfit isn't the same, the president's tie is red while Davy's is black.

I'm willing to put that down to 'three actual years have passed'

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

....I completely forgot about it, so I guess you have a point.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Keep the school store, just move it to loving tomorrow.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

....I completely forgot about it, so I guess you have a point.

when your own characters are repeatedly screaming at each other to stop talking and get on with things, you've probably made a misstep somewhere

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeeeah that part was alot of leading to nowhere. Like it was nice to see how they interact without school but the whole alien kid thing while hilarious was not needed.

Granted Zack does have this particular thing where they go through some outrageous thing that it ends up being true buuut at the same time, not sure where they are gonna go with the school.

LIke techincally it's only been maybe less than a week since Max showed up?

In terms of the glacial pacing, after seeing how they do their work it's like yeaaaaah that would do a murder on my hands. They draw the comic on paper, then ink it digitally.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 24, 2018

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Oxxidation posted:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The guy's literally destroying his hands to make this, I think nerds can cut him a bit of slack for the time between free comics.

I can get pacing complaints, but I don't get the people who complain about update schedules.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Podima posted:

I am convinced this dude has two hands and simply holds his hook inside whatever the hemisphere at the base of the hook is called

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
zack goes by they now

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I can get pacing complaints, but I don't get the people who complain about update schedules.
We're not complaining about the schedule, we're saying they need an editor. Someone to help them pare down their ridiculous oversized pile of cool ideas into a narrative that hasn't spent three years on one afternoon because new things just keep happening.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 24, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I am convinced this dude has two hands and simply holds his hook inside whatever the hemisphere at the base of the hook is called
He's Future Zack's self insert after one of their hands falls off in protest.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Tollymain posted:

zack goes by they now

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

poo poo, my bad.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Isn't that Mr president like, the student council president or something

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I actually did not see this coming at all.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Does literally every child in this school have some sorta powers, or is aware of the supernatural.

Yes, everyone but Suzy

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

The Student Store serves a lot of orange juice, and Suzy isn't allowed in. That's probably why :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I wonder if the "Witch" is the vice-principal. After all, we've seen her puppeteer a bit during Hitball.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm gonna guess she's whoever the Doorman and Forge serve.

Somehow it seems fitting Cody is the son of a vampire. There's an air of Twilight about him.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao

well, at least we know how dadcula gets distracted long enough for hijack to not croak

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Well that was a page dense with happenings :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I mean, the whole greater plot arc about Mayview is that nobody's quite sure WHAT'S been going on in there for a rather long stretch of time- the Cousinhood thinks it's become a monster safe haven (and with recent revelations, they might not be wrong) and the Consortium is trying to keep everything from spilling out while trying to find out exactly what is trying to spill out, and then there's Spender's personal agenda and whatever's going on with The Lady/Doorman/Forge and the Circle of Jerks and their pixeldogthings. And we already know several members of the student body are at least in the know about the spirit world at some level (at bare minimum Dimitri, Lisa, possibly Violet and now definitely Cody with Johnny's gang now getting dragged in too.) I wouldn't be surprised if the big gimmick of Mayview is that just about everybody thinks that they're in on the sleepy little town's secret, without knowing that most of the town is in on some of a giant clusterfuck of secrets...

Except for Suzy. Never ever secrets for Suzy.