Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I was having a tough time getting into this game, but something clicked the other day and now I am having a hard time stopping. The Physician seems just pretty good, I had been exploring Painting as a profession and was having a lot of fun with it, even if it seems suboptimal. Balancing your Mystique, Notoriety, and funds is an interesting puzzle. I feel like I've finally made some progress. I have a high enough lore to start promoting believers and I've got all these crazy rites. I just don't know what to do with them! What should my next moves be? Just keep buying books and grinding out lore?

Also the thread title should be Don't Knock It 'Til You Try It.

Also also how the gently caress do you poison people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

1) Own poison.

2) Talk to the victim and put the poison in the topic slot. This gives me the mental image that you show up to the meeting and start explaining where you found the poison and how it works, until finally your victim catches on and frantically throws the teacup away before collapsing. Which is excellent villainy and makes you look way cooler than you did when you were in your Winter Lore phase.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

I was having a tough time getting into this game, but something clicked the other day and now I am having a hard time stopping. The Physician seems just pretty good, I had been exploring Painting as a profession and was having a lot of fun with it, even if it seems suboptimal. Balancing your Mystique, Notoriety, and funds is an interesting puzzle. I feel like I've finally made some progress. I have a high enough lore to start promoting believers and I've got all these crazy rites. I just don't know what to do with them! What should my next moves be? Just keep buying books and grinding out lore?

Also the thread title should be Don't Knock It 'Til You Try It.

The Mansus has many doors. You should seek to ascend.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

megane posted:

1) Own poison.

Okay, followup question.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

The Mansus has many doors. You should seek to ascend.

:mad: Why do all these eldritch secrets have to be so goddamn esoteric?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

yeah, the game really pulls a switcheroo on you halfway through when you ascend the third mark and dread stops being the problem and Fascination starts being the problem. Heh.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

megane posted:

1) Own poison.

2) Talk to the victim and put the poison in the topic slot. This gives me the mental image that you show up to the meeting and start explaining where you found the poison and how it works, until finally your victim catches on and frantically throws the teacup away before collapsing. Which is excellent villainy and makes you look way cooler than you did when you were in your Winter Lore phase.

If I remember poisoning doesn't even even generate notoriety, so you have to be pretty slick to do that. My headcanon is that all of your cultists that sit around 99% of the game doing absolutely nothing are actually out and about constantly, and that when you poison people Ysabet comes and does the things Ysabet does while you have a polite meeting with the investigator to explain why you're totally innocent and it's all a big misunderstanding.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

"I replaced your Splenda with Ricin."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

Okay, followup question.

By the look of your table, your most immediate thing to do is to gather more books.

And then... well, one can dream on many subjects.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

If I remember poisoning doesn't even even generate notoriety, so you have to be pretty slick to do that. My headcanon is that all of your cultists that sit around 99% of the game doing absolutely nothing are actually out and about constantly, and that when you poison people Ysabet comes and does the things Ysabet does while you have a polite meeting with the investigator to explain why you're totally innocent and it's all a big misunderstanding.

Poisoning does not generate notoriety. Unfortunately the thing that poisoning someone generates, that does tend to generate notoriety. Unless you can come up with other uses for it. I am told the Sun-In-Rags has much to offer in such matters.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Somberbrero posted:

I have a high enough lore to start promoting believers and I've got all these crazy rites. I just don't know what to do with them! What should my next moves be? Just keep buying books and grinding out lore?

You can dream on lots of things. Pick it up and see if dream glows, then slot it in.

Some things will need extras, in which case look at the extra slot and it will tell you what.

Some things you can dream on will start out normal and then ask for something else to slot in afterward; look at that extra slot for a hint.

Once you find a Way into the Mansus you can start dreaming on that directly. Make sure you look at its follow-on slot.

Exploring Secret Histories lore will let you find dungeons, which get farther away and more intricate as you keep going. They'll throw tests at you that you need various skill types to pass - this is invariant, you need 10 for a guaranteed pass every time - so you may want to throw temporary help in first, in case you fail and die.

Dreaming is an excellent way to find more Secret Histories - there's only so far a bookstore and Offline Ebay will get you. Every location in dreams has its own pool of rewards to draw on but I think they vary independently of each other.

Be advised, powerful influences tend to turn into something bad when they decay, so keep an eye on one.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Somberbrero posted:

Okay, followup question.

There's literal doors in literal dreams.

It's less esoteric than it sounds.

Actually, let me try to do the cryptic thing.... *clears throat*

Dream more, open door

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 22, 2018

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the game's chief fault is that once you actually understand all the mechanics involved it gets pretty easy. if you do not phrase your hints in the form of weird esoterica you're 1. sinning against The Flavor 2. taking half the fun out of the equation

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Thanks everyone, I made a lot of progress and finally started seeing some cool poo poo right before I lost track of my Dread and had to start over.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I finally bit the bullet and bought Sunless Sea. It's an interesting game and I am enjoying the story/atmosphere.

I'd ask questions in it's thread but I only see an archived one.
Few things that I am wondering about. I found the Pirate port and there's an option to receive payment for captured ships, but I've never got the option to capture one.
Also I saved up 1000 bought the almost twice as powerful engine for that and move an extra hairs length at the expense of fuel seems to go down much faster. Now I haven't money to stock up to hit up the unexplored areas and don't get enough from the nearby ports to really manage anything outside of a holding pattern trading and getting reports from nearby areas.

Any tips on how to progress and why the engines do gently caress all for ship speed?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
What effect does Idealist have for an investigator? How do I do something with that?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Feels to me that once you start getting ascension marks the game should get rid of the mundane management stuff like Dread and Fascination.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

What effect does Idealist have for an investigator? How do I do something with that?

They need to see the glory of the light... fascination, lanterns, that kind of thing.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Feels to me that once you start getting ascension marks the game should get rid of the mundane management stuff like Dread and Fascination.

yeah, but they should probably add something else. honestly the last 20% of this game is a bit of a drag, but im guessing thats what they're fixing up next

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

a QTE section whenever you enter the mansus.

"MASH X TO RETRIEVE FORBIDDEN EPIC"

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Marenghi posted:

I finally bit the bullet and bought Sunless Sea. It's an interesting game and I am enjoying the story/atmosphere.

I'd ask questions in it's thread but I only see an archived one.
Few things that I am wondering about. I found the Pirate port and there's an option to receive payment for captured ships, but I've never got the option to capture one.
Also I saved up 1000 bought the almost twice as powerful engine for that and move an extra hairs length at the expense of fuel seems to go down much faster. Now I haven't money to stock up to hit up the unexplored areas and don't get enough from the nearby ports to really manage anything outside of a holding pattern trading and getting reports from nearby areas.

Any tips on how to progress and why the engines do gently caress all for ship speed?

It's really hard in the vanilla game to capture ships because they have to take enough damage to kill their crew without sinking. In > 100 hours of play I never did it vanilla. This mod will replace the ship sinking event with the ship capturing one and give you the option to capture ships. Fair warning--it pays probably a game-breakingly large amount of money because the designers never had to balance the rewards (because no one ever got them).

Regarding progression--that's specifically why I said to screw it and take out fuel and supplies from the equation. It's not fun and it's the easiest way to get trapped in a holding pattern. Options for breaking out:

1) Mod the game. Here's a quick upload of just the portion of my personal mod that adjusts fuel, supplies, terror, and ship speed. Specifically it removes fuel costs for travel, supply costs for travel, terror gained by travel, and doubles ship speed. It doesn't affect events involving fuel, supplies, or terror, just while travelling. Put it in "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEGOESHERE\AppData\LocalLow\Failbetter Games\Sunless Sea\addon" so that the full path is C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEGOESHERE\AppData\LocalLow\Failbetter Games\Sunless Sea\addon\navigationconstants\constants\navigationconstants.json

2) Get strategic about where you are going and why: Plan your run ahead of time and aim for a specific goal and stops along the way. Getting the strategic information target from the Admiral is a good first option. Work on slowly expanding your map. Any run where you've broken even but explored a little further or picked up even one stat is a win. Make sure to get port reports everywhere and trade your resulting Admiralty's Favor for fuel and repairs when you need it. Follow the port-specific storylines to get rewards better than what you will get with trading and random events. Keep track of useful trade runs between ports--wine from London is usually a good starting buy and can be sold for a profit at Venderbright, Gaider's Morn, Port Carnelian, and Adam's Way. Like any traditional RPG, bit by bit things get easier.

3) Die: Every death will make your next captain a bit stronger. Every dead captain gets to choose to keep 50% of a stat plus some associated bonus for the next run, and if you complete the romance story in London and raise a child, you get to keep 50% of 2 stats and 2 bonuses for the next run. Every successful ending type comes with a stat bonus for future captains as well. It's expected that captains will die sometimes, and not all is lost.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 23, 2018

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i see people recommending modding sunless sea to be less boring and that makes a ton of sense, but why does everyone mod supply and fuel usage away? theres zero challenge to the game if you do that

Cantorsdust posted:

It's really hard in the vanilla game to capture ships because they have to take enough damage to kill their crew without sinking. In > 100 hours of play I never did it vanilla. This mod will replace the ship sinking event with the ship capturing one and give you the option to capture ships. Fair warning--it pays probably a game-breakingly large amount of money because the designers never had to balance the rewards (because no one ever got them).

i remember capturing ships in vanilla but i dont really recall how. i know the card game let you roll 50/50 against your crew just sailing off with the ship and it wasnt a worthwhile gamble, but i thought i'd done it in the new version as well

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Verviticus posted:

i see people recommending modding sunless sea to be less boring and that makes a ton of sense, but why does everyone mod supply and fuel usage away? theres zero challenge to the game if you do that.

I didn't see the point either, but in the end the game parts of Sunless Sea aren't very impressive.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So I found a mirror the Peacock Gate liked, but it cracks every time. I'm assuming everything this gate accepts is damaged. Any other items that work?

At least the stuff the gate gives out is kind of amazing. I found at least one language book for something no mortal even speaks, looks like it also gives out top-tier Influences, which I'll need for ascension.

Sadly, loving Weary Detective got me. I even had a Favor From Authority and even that wasn't enough. They wanted TWO. Jesus. I'll get you next time, gadget.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 23, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Speedball posted:

So I found a mirror the Peacock Gate liked, but it cracks every time. I'm assuming everything this gate accepts is damaged. Any other items that work?

At least the stuff the gate gives out is kind of amazing. I found at least one language book for something no mortal even speaks, looks like it also gives out top-tier Influences, which I'll need for ascension.

Sadly, loving Weary Detective got me. I even had a Favor From Authority and even that wasn't enough. They wanted TWO. Jesus. I'll get you next time, gadget.

There’s a special tool that doesn’t break when it gets you into the Peacock Gate, yeah. I think it’s the Knock 12 tool.

There’s more than one mirror that works for that gate, by the way.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I used multiple mirrors for that. You can have a forge follower repair it each time, but it takes spirita to repair.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

do gold spintria have a value beyond silver other than selling?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Theoretically a gold should also be useful for repairing something unique, not sure what.

I like to speculate on what other ascension paths would be like. If we kept to the pattern of needing to eat something to get third through sixth marks, we could have an ascension path that eats mysticism (but not notoriety), another that feasts only on demons you've summoned, maybe a Winter ascension that feeds on silence (in other words, you can't have any influences on the board at all when it's chow time)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gripes: you really should be able to cancel tasks.
"poo poo, I got in a conversation with the wrong person and we've nothing to talk abouit! Uhm, lets just stare at each other then?"

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

This is not ideal at all.

Wait - is this an Enlightenment victory, or did you discover some sort of secret relating to the Triscupid door?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Wolpertinger posted:

Wait - is this an Enlightenment victory, or did you discover some sort of secret relating to the Triscupid door?

Standard Enlightenment victory.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
The Watchman holds a piece of Glory. The merest shard, but the skin of the world and the skin of men are glass before its radiance. A terrible, merciless light which shows us the Way...

No, nothing happens if you max out your victory. Boo.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Weary Detective observes your blasphemous rites with stoic disapproval.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

megane posted:

Weary Detective observes your blasphemous rites with stoic disapproval.

leaving him alive to one day carry on notes about your work. rookie mistake.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

the weary detective is my friend, do not disrespect him

i like that if i as a detective talk to the enemy once i immediately start getting investigated by my own co-workers but if i the bad guy talk to a detective i immediately give him a precursor to evidence

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I was all ready to ascend into a powerful furnace guy with my Level 14 Lore and ANGRY KING FROM BEYOND, then spent about five hours exploring more or less every possible location in the game for a Forge instrument because I didn't realise all the powerful Forge stuff was behind the Spider Door, and never bothered to go through it because I assumed all the Peacock stuff was just better. I am bad at reading the many bits of text that would have explained this to me.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i feel like i had a full inventory of tools and junk just from exploring, did you never get anything from your raids?

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
He wasn't looking for just any Forge implement, he was looking for the 12 strength one. It's not unusual that he was ready to ascend without having found it. Yes, it's unique (only one available) even though it doesn't have Aspect: Unique.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Got an enlightenment victory, took me about 29 recorded hours to figure it all out. Great little game! Probably too grindy to want to do again once you know all the systems, but was a super fun puzzle box while it lasted.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There was a point that I made things too hard for myself by completely forgetting that I could subvert lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

TheBlandName posted:

He wasn't looking for just any Forge implement, he was looking for the 12 strength one. It's not unusual that he was ready to ascend without having found it. Yes, it's unique (only one available) even though it doesn't have Aspect: Unique.

I actually did fail to find literally any forge implements in any raids; I was supremely unlucky/held by jealous Hours