Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
And it would have to be one of those shite flickery holograms anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rumor is theyre killing the Star Wars Stories films so congrats, Disney. May your acquisition of Fox be as smooth

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Sorry the found footage gimmick is dead and gone

Suits this franchise just fine then!

(I don’t think that -at all- but I figured it was a very SA sort of joke).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Infinity War 2 will be bigger, obviously. In fact, there are several movies in 2019 which I think will potentially be bigger than Episode IX. Captain Marvel, Toy Story 4, Frozen 2 and Lion King at least. In any event it will be difficult to bounce back from the one-two punch of TLJ disappointing and being divisive and Solo bombing like Sir Arthur Harris.

So Disney is going to own every top five film?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Soon Disney will own all of the films.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They already did that worldwide in 2016 (Civil War, Rogue One, Finding Dory, Zootopia and Jungle Book).

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Soon movie will be renamed "Disnies"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How reliable is that Mike Zeroh guy for fandom hearsay? His latest is that there are "rumours" that Disney could "intervene in Lucasfilm" and have Johnson's trilogy cancelled. :tinfoil:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

How reliable is that Mike Zeroh guy for fandom hearsay? His latest is that there are "rumours" that Disney could "intervene in Lucasfilm" and have Johnson's trilogy cancelled. :tinfoil:

In all my years of Star Wars rumors and news, and I'm talking about going back to Harry Knowles having spies on the set of Episode I...I've never heard of him.

His Twitter account sure seems like a bunch of reactionary click bait poo poo, though. "Disney Star Wars Making Huge Changes & More! New Details Revealed (Star Wars News)" (actual copy paste)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who remembers SuperShadow?

People used to get so angry about that guy.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
This is just sad. Some people are trying to raise money to remake The Last Jedi.
https://news.avclub.com/this-fan-remake-of-the-last-jedi-is-totally-real-defin-1827031473

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Barudak posted:

Rumor is theyre killing the Star Wars Stories films so congrats, Disney. May your acquisition of Fox be as smooth
I keep seeing this cited as coming from some super duper mega reliable fan site source but it still sounds like total horseshit to me. In Solo they were clearly building up to a series of connected Stories films and I have a hard time believing Disney/Lucasfilm would can some serious money-making projects because of a bunch of vocal MRAs and alt right fuckboys didn’t like TLJ for dumb reasons. Especially not to give even more control to Johnson when he’s so widely disliked.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

clown shoes posted:

This is just sad. Some people are trying to raise money to remake The Last Jedi.
https://news.avclub.com/this-fan-remake-of-the-last-jedi-is-totally-real-defin-1827031473
Yeah I feel like this has been linked ad infinitum.

Here is my new Star Wars watch order:
Episode 1
Solo
Rogue One
E5 (the best one)
E6
The Last Jedi

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Hazo posted:

I keep seeing this cited as coming from some super duper mega reliable fan site source but it still sounds like total horseshit to me. In Solo they were clearly building up to a series of connected Stories films and I have a hard time believing Disney/Lucasfilm would can some serious money-making projects because of a bunch of vocal MRAs and alt right fuckboys didn’t like TLJ for dumb reasons. Especially not to give even more control to Johnson when he’s so widely disliked.

We’re three years and four films into the relaunch of the franchise and the film laying the groundwork for those connected stories just bombed. They’re trying to set up a parallel MCU and managed to immediately stumble into a bigger setback than the MCU has had in a decade. With or without the reaction to TLJ, they have every reason to reconsider their plan with the Star Wars Storing branding, because it’s not resulting in the surefire hits that they almost certainly expected it to (Han Solo can’t even match Ant-man?) and consecutive failures would be even worse than this one rough spot.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think they care more about the han solo film losing money for them, rather than MRA posts. Not a movie expert though

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I mean the real problem (from a financial perspective) is Solo was a botched production---it ended up basically having to be shot twice, so the production cost was like twice what they expected. It's like one of the most expensive movies of all time, when there is no excuse for it costing more than say Elysium or All You Need is Kill: Live Die Repeat on The Edge of Tomorrow.

Like, poo poo happens----you don't tell Tom Brady to never throw a ball again because Amendola tripped and rebroke his arm one time.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Exactly. Solo didn’t “bomb” no matter how many times people try repeating it. It opened just as well as Rogue One. The problem comes from what an expensive clusterfuck the production was and how they released it in competition with other summer blockbusters.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hazo posted:

Exactly. Solo didn’t “bomb” no matter how many times people try repeating it. It opened just as well as Rogue One.

Rogue One's opening weekend was $155 million. Solo's was $103 million.

After four weeks, Rogue One had made $440 million. After four weeks, Solo has made ~$194 million.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Again not a movie expert, but cursory google suggests a pretty wide gap in how they opened

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think they care more about the han solo film losing money for them, rather than MRA posts. Not a movie expert though

One's an unspectacular movie, the other's an attack on the brand.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Hazo posted:

Exactly. Solo didn’t “bomb” no matter how many times people try repeating it.

Is this like some kind of weird ARG? How does Disney inspire this bizarre blind loyalty?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
What I'm saying is yea Solo underperformed very badly----but there are several factors you can point to, like the May release and the reshoots---which might keep Disney (or whoever) from giving up on any more Star Wars Stories. Like seriously, they made Deadpool and Chappie for under $60 million. Can nobody can get a Boba Fett movie in the can for that much? loving give it to Robert Rodriguez, he'll shoot it on a handheld camera in the backyard of his ranch.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 23, 2018

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Timby posted:

Rogue One's opening weekend was $155 million. Solo's was $103 million.
That’s weird, I read it was around 150m worldwide. Thanks for the correction. I still think it’s ridiculous to say it bombed just because it hasn’t made back its insane budget, and I really don’t know if there’s any truth to the rumors that turbonerds were actually boycotting it, but if there was then that’s another factor to consider.

Milky Moor posted:

Is this like some kind of weird ARG? How does Disney inspire this bizarre blind loyalty?
...what?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Outside of a small pocket of the Internet, I don't think the majority of the moviegoing populace is aware of, or gives a flying gently caress about, the re-shoots. The reasons for Solo's failure are simple:

- Terrible release window
- Terrible marketing campaign (remember, we didn't see anything, not even a promo photo, until three months before release)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Harime Nui posted:

What I'm saying is yea Solo underperformed very badly----but there are several factors you can point to, like the May release and the reshoots---which might keep Disney (or whoever) from giving up on any more Star Wars Stories. Like seriously, they made Deadpool and Chappie for under $60 million. Can nobody can get a Boba Fett movie in the can for that much? loving give it to Robert Rodriguez, he'll shoot it on a handheld camera in the backyard of his ranch.

blomkamp star wars would be extremely my poo poo but i feel like there's no way in hell they'd give him enough creative control to get him to agree (outside of 'okay this story is set thousands of years before anything relevant, and DON'T TALK ABOUT DROID SLAVERY')

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Timby posted:

Outside of a small pocket of the Internet, I don't think the majority of the moviegoing populace is aware of, or gives a flying gently caress about, the re-shoots. The reasons for Solo's failure are simple:

- Terrible release window
- Terrible marketing campaign (remember, we didn't see anything, not even a promo photo, until three months before release)

Also it wasn't that good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also it wasn't that good.

Didn't stop Infinity War. :v:

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Hazo posted:

I still think it’s ridiculous to say it bombed just because it hasn’t made back its insane budget

What? That's what a bomb is. There are extenuating circumstances tied to every film that fails to land, but you don't get to simply wave them off because, well, that wasn't how it was supposed to go. That's nonsense.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

All the big sites are saying the spinoffs that were rumored are not cancelled (ie boba Fett obi) but that a movie based on the most eisley cantina was cancelled\halted. Which if true is hilarious.

Where's my tales from the mos eisley cantina movie Kathleen!!!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ungulateman posted:

blomkamp star wars would be extremely my poo poo but i feel like there's no way in hell they'd give him enough creative control to get him to agree (outside of 'okay this story is set thousands of years before anything relevant, and DON'T TALK ABOUT DROID SLAVERY')

Elysium is already Blomkamp Star Wars, just set thousands of years after Luke, in a different galaxy.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Hazo posted:

That’s weird, I read it was around 150m worldwide. Thanks for the correction. I still think it’s ridiculous to say it bombed just because it hasn’t made back its insane budget, and I really don’t know if there’s any truth to the rumors that turbonerds were actually boycotting it, but if there was then that’s another factor to consider.

...what?

Well, I mean, you just did it again: "The turbonerds boycotted Solo, that is why it failed!" In my experience, the turbonerds are the only one who went to see the film.

The weirdest thing beyond the weird brand loyalty is the belief that the turbonerds are simultaneously an irrelevant laughing stock, but also strong enough to single-handedly destroy the films. This, of course, explains why Disney fans believe that the First Order is the alt-right and that Snoke is Trump. It's the same system: they're an incompetent laughing stock, but they're also extremely scary.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Elysium is already Blomkamp Star Wars, just set thousands of years after Luke, in a different galaxy.

precisely

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

So if one train carriage worth of coaxium can blow up half a mountain, how big would the explosion be from a whole train's worth?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Milky Moor posted:

Well, I mean, you just did it again: "The turbonerds boycotted Solo, that is why it failed!" In my experience, the turbonerds are the only one who went to see the film.

The weirdest thing beyond the weird brand loyalty is the belief that the turbonerds are simultaneously an irrelevant laughing stock, but also strong enough to single-handedly destroy the films.
I pretty expressly said I don’t know if there’s any truth about the “turbonerds killed a star war” rumors. I only posted about because I see it popping up on social media and it sounds like bs. If I want actual news I check this thread. There are a lot of reasons Solo underperformed, but it wasn’t a bad movie.

Milky Moor posted:

This, of course, explains why Disney fans believe that the First Order is the alt-right and that Snoke is Trump. It's the same system: they're an incompetent laughing stock, but they're also extremely scary.
I’ve never heard this but it isn’t an inaccurate description.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight is my favorite Star Wars trilogy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Huge if true.

(Disclaimer: probably almost certainly not true)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Huge if true.

(Disclaimer: probably almost certainly not true)
Well he did say several words in TFA.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly, if they just say gently caress it and go all-in and have every Jedi ever showing up as a Force ghost and crowding into a room to give Rey bad advice / give Ren a hard time, fair enough, they should go for it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
If I obtained immortality as a spirit, I'd use that to gently caress with people. I'm ready for Trolbi-wan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Force Ghosts: A Star Wars Story
Starring: Frank Oz, Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christensen & Mark Hamill as themselves

The comics continue to be a goldmine of hilarious expressions
No, I'm not sorry

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 24, 2018