Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ChronoReverse posted:

Watch Dabi pretend to be Endeavour's son to create a scandal but it turns out he's unrelated.

this would play into the narrative hints and be a good beat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Endeavor's missing son is the traitor.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

honestly I either want the traitor to literally not exist at this point, or be the most out of left field person like Tsuyu or someone

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

honestly I either want the traitor to literally not exist at this point, or be the most out of left field person like Tsuyu or someone

It's ochako. Think about it Toga said they're the same and that obviously means they're both villains.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Onmi posted:

I don't know, did you think the other brother was being kept a secret when we only met the sister when Todo first went to see his mother? Is Dabi Deku's dad because Deku's dad hasn't been shown, and why not show him while his son is competing in the sports festival?

Why didn't the other brother show up? Because surprisingly, Horikoshi is a good writer and understands the tenants of keeping a scene simplistic. The extra brother would just be there to be background or add more words. Why if him being missing is such a big deal, do none of the kids mention him when thinking poorly of Endeavor?

The brother not being there is weird because Endeavor being (nearly)killed on national TV is a huge event that effects the whole family. Like, even if he wasn't at the hospitable with his brother and sister, there still should have been some kind of reaction shot from him. The flashbacks have also gone out of their way to hide his face. Like, if he's not Dabi, then clearly something is going on with the brother.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

The traitor is Mina because that would upset me the most.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Roland Jones posted:

High End is way too smart to be Muscular. It might have his quirk, but I'm betting someone else is the "chassis", so to speak.

I'm still going with black mist, powered up by Muscular's quirk and others. We even see him transporting other Nomu through his body!

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I'm basically on the same page as this post, but I'm gonna quibble here because I can. Dabi's burns look very intentional and painful, so it either lands on torture or extreme self-harm.

I mean, they line up with all the parts of endeavor that are on fire all the time

And just in this chapter we learned that his fire power's weakness was raising his body temp too much when he overdoes it

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I'm still going with black mist, powered up by Muscular's quirk and others. We even see him transporting other Nomu through his body!

Either way he definitely has Muscular's quirk. And if that's the case, that means we might end up running into a nomu with Moonfish's quirk someday and oh god I don't want to see another tooth monster. :gonk:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

You do know Endeavour isn't your dad, right?

i, too, lack empathy

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I hope Endeavor is dead

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is probably dovetailed into the reveal from Vigilantes that apparently AFO or his non-Shimura toadies are genetically modifying people and can steal parts of quirk characteristics.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Wellwinds posted:

I mean, they line up with all the parts of endeavor that are on fire all the time

And just in this chapter we learned that his fire power's weakness was raising his body temp too much when he overdoes it

We've known about Endeavor's weakness ever since Icy Hot explained why he was Icy at the tournament. Fire raises his internal body temperature. Endeavor's weakness is basically self-inflicted heat stroke. We've only ever seen Dabi make fire out of his hands. You could say "Of course. His hands are fine. That's the only place that's safe for him to make fire." But I have trouble believing that Dabi's power is so unstable he could have brought out his fire like "Dad's" and overdid it in a completely different way.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 23, 2018

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dabi is Endeavor's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Holy poo poo, just saw this on reddit and I can't stop laughing.

On the Dabi topic, I figure he has something to do with Todoroki's family. He refused to give his name and had that weird narrative beat with Todoroki, so on the basis of the writing not just doing something for no reason I imagine something will come up. No idea what his actual connection is though - him being a son doesn't really fit Endeavor never thinking of him(unless the twist is that Dabi just hates Endeavor for the hardcore neglect that made him burn himself since nobody ever taught him to use his own quirk or something) but yeah, no idea. Just figure he'll have something to do with them.

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 23, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rhonne posted:

The brother not being there is weird because Endeavor being (nearly)killed on national TV is a huge event that effects the whole family. Like, even if he wasn't at the hospitable with his brother and sister, there still should have been some kind of reaction shot from him. The flashbacks have also gone out of their way to hide his face. Like, if he's not Dabi, then clearly something is going on with the brother.

The traitor is Mina because that would upset me the most.

And yet when Endeavor is going "The despair of it... drove me to..." He's not thinking of some shadowed child alongside Shoto and Rei. He can't be regretful and think he's a bastard regarding Shoto and his wife, and yet not a wayward son who's fallen to villainy? So even if we concede that Dabi is Endeavor's son... Clearly, Endeavor didn't do anything to him. Which means it's not relevant. The other kids make it clear that Endeavor barely gave a gently caress about them.

I'd more buy into Dabi having been a villain that Endeavor burned or defeated, or perhaps a fanboy who, upon realizing what a jerk he was, burned himself. Or just completely unrelated.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I mean, Dabi is one of the only other major characters we've seen with a fire generation quirk, he's got the same eye color as Endeavor and Shoto (which the anime draws attention to,) he's motivated by dissatisfaction with the behavior of modern heroes, he's one of the only villains we know of whose actual identity stays a mystery, and the narrative has, in multiple occasions, drawn attention to the fact that there's a member of the Todoroki family of the right age that we've never seen in the current time. Horikoshi would not put all of these details together unless we were supposed to draw an inference.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Honestly between Endeavor, Bakugo, Dabi, and Deku's father I think Horikoshi just likes fire-related powers.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Viridiant posted:

Honestly between Endeavor, Bakugo, Dabi, and Deku's father I think Horikoshi just likes fire-related powers.

Dekudad isn't a major character and Bakugous powers aren't fire-powers in the way Endeavor, Shoto and Dabis are.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

There's even a pretty general resemblance between Dabi and Todoroki that isn't all that much of a stretch. The theory isn't like a 100% lock but to act like it's a flat-out stupid theory is just willfully refusing to spot details.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I don't think it's stupid. I also don't think it's likely.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Writers drop hints and poo poo all the time, that doesn't stop people from being weirdly dismissive of other people bringing attention to those hints.

The real question is, are the hints adding up to what people think they are or are they adding up to an anti-climactic gotcha?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Now the traitor stuff, that I just block out completely.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Xarbala posted:

No but see Kaminari is the traitor because he didnt' turn his head to look at Shoto like the rest, he was looking at the TV.

EDIT: To clarify I actually saw someone say this

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Patware posted:

There's even a pretty general resemblance between Dabi and Todoroki that isn't all that much of a stretch. The theory isn't like a 100% lock but to act like it's a flat-out stupid theory is just willfully refusing to spot details.

It's stupid because it requires everyone in the family to have unexplained amnesia that like I said would rival FF8's stupid amnesia.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Maybe Dabi is endeavor's nephew

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Xarbala posted:

There's been so little info on the traitor stuff that, at this point, if there is someone leaking info to the League, I don't think they're doing it intentionally or of their own free will.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Rhonne posted:

There's been so little info on the traitor stuff that, at this point, if there is someone leaking info to the League, I don't think they're doing it intentionally or of their own free will.

Social Media strikes again!

I'd actually kind of like that to be the resolution to that whole "plot", that enough people just casually slipped up that the villains pieced it together without much difficulty.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I'd actually kind of like that to be the resolution to that whole "plot", that enough people just casually slipped up that the villains pieced it together without much difficulty.

La Brava did show us that UA's cyber security is kind of poo poo.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Nuebot posted:

The issue with that is when we look at Camp. They were in the middle of a forest they had no way of knowing was the campsite because it's not what was advertised for them. Only someone at camp who could have communicated it could let them know, or a staff member who knew. That's a limited selection.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Kild posted:

It's stupid because it requires everyone in the family to have unexplained amnesia that like I said would rival FF8's stupid amnesia.

The only person from the Todoroki family to directly encounter Dabi so far, iirc, is Shoto, who is only 15. If Dabi really is the third Todoroki brother, he could have hosed off long enough ago that Shoto doesn't have clear enough memories to recognize him on sight, especially if Dabi wasn't as horrifically hosed looking back then.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

JahRoo posted:

Maybe Dabi is endeavor's nephew

Dabi is Endeavor. After all, we've never seen them in the same place...

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Dabi is Deku's father

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Dabi is the traitor

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The only person from the Todoroki family to directly encounter Dabi so far, iirc, is Shoto, who is only 15. If Dabi really is the third Todoroki brother, he could have hosed off long enough ago that Shoto doesn't have clear enough memories to recognize him on sight, especially if Dabi wasn't as horrifically hosed looking back then.

So no photos, no videos, no anything? No mention of his brother missing or loving off or being abused or having a slightly different quirk? No 'not again' when she see Endeavor abusing Todoroki? Endeavor also would have not had access or looked at any of the villain alliance memberlist the police had?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kild posted:

So no photos, no videos, no anything? No mention of his brother missing or loving off or being abused or having a slightly different quirk? No 'not again' when she see Endeavor abusing Todoroki? Endeavor also would have not had access or looked at any of the villain alliance memberlist the police had?

I mean a lot of this could be explained by whatever cause his appearance is something he did himself/something after he separated from the family. Also I don't think Dabi is his real name, it's like Spinner or Magnee. it's a villainous moniker. When the heroes raiding the alliance list off names do they give Dabi's out?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I mean a lot of this could be explained by whatever cause his appearance is something he did himself/something after he separated from the family. Also I don't think Dabi is his real name, it's like Spinner or Magnee. it's a villainous moniker. When the heroes raiding the alliance list off names do they give Dabi's out?

Dabi's not his real name. (It's japanese for Cremation apparently) He's the one of the two they don't have a real name for, Kurogiri being the other.

Kild fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 23, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nope.

Which is kind of a hint that, you know, his name is actually relevant.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Nope.

Which is kind of a hint that, you know, his name is actually relevant.

I don't doubt his name is relevant, I just... don't think it's a good revelation for him to be a failed Endeavor prodigy, It's not been properly hinted at, and if it was the case I'd be loving annoyed we had all these internal thoughts and not one thought like that.

You know, is what I say, but I don't doubt whatever Hori does I'll be going "And that's why you're the master."

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Onmi posted:

The issue with that is when we look at Camp. They were in the middle of a forest they had no way of knowing was the campsite because it's not what was advertised for them. Only someone at camp who could have communicated it could let them know, or a staff member who knew. That's a limited selection.

I'm gonna muddy the waters here a bit by noting that any of the kids could have whipped out their phone (or other communication device) during the run through the Forest of Magical Beasts and sent a "We're here" message with GPS coordinates. Since the bad guys didn't show up until night of the second day, they had plenty of time to prepare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Mirage posted:

I'm gonna muddy the waters here a bit by noting that any of the kids could have whipped out their phone (or other communication device) during the run through the Forest of Magical Beasts and sent a "We're here" message with GPS coordinates. Since the bad guys didn't show up until night of the second day, they had plenty of time to prepare.

But if we take the anime's added bit where Shigaraki says "The master found them" then everything just goes insane.