Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Final Fantasy XV: I'm In Love With My Car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

bentacos posted:

I'm going to replace stand by me with this.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Now that FF15 on pc is half off and they have mod support and all that I kind of feel like it’s time to buy it again (I played at launch on PS4)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Someone mod all the sidequest flavor text into something funny

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bentacos posted:

no waifu, no laifu

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

I'm going to replace stand by me with this.

I mean, any game would be improved by replacing the music with queen songs.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

bentacos posted:

I mean, any game would be improved by replacing the music with queen songs.

Ogre Battle proves this applies to replacing titles as well.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Barudak posted:

You got through whats probably the hardest Gestalt fight so congrats. The next few are much, much easier.

Bahamut and Hecatonceir are definitely harder than Odin imo. From me doing these very recently. The other couple are also harder if you do challenge runs with lower stats.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Small questionnaire

Has anyone experienced jittery movement when playing FFXII, specifically while turning your character right or left? As if Vaan has a small seizure.

I cant tell if its my stick or the game because Ive tried multiple other games but I cant see any problems with movement. MGSV for example feels as smooth as ever.

I dont feel like dropping 50 bucks to test this

Edit:

Did some research. Apparently FFXII is really sensitive to stick malfunction so if the game doesnt register the stick being pushed all the way it causes jittery movement

gently caress

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 23, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just started 15 tonight

Dino owns. Dinowns. Dino is walking heah

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Made it to Draklor Lab..almost..through..12. Switched to what I hope is braindead comp of knight/white, foe/white, and black/time. Kinda got hosed not realizing other party members get LP but not (or reduced) XP, so after grinding they're at lvl 34 and like 22/22. Crossing my fingers that'll still slide. Think I'm gonna get through it barely touching the gambit system cuz it sounds straight annoying to have to spend LP, gold, and time figuring out how to really set it all up to be both effective and efficient. Really just want to crank through so I can check out X-2 maybe crank through that and get on to 8 and 7 which are what I really wanna play! (I know if I had just started on those I'd prolly get through them and never get around to the rest instead of working my way backwards like I have been.)

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I also just started 15.

Hey, is there a reason that, after I cast a spell, I can't seem to cast another one? I mean besides the cooldown, this is even between battles.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I also just started 15.

Hey, is there a reason that, after I cast a spell, I can't seem to cast another one? I mean besides the cooldown, this is even between battles.

there are a couple possibilities:
1) it was your last spell grenade, craft a new one
2) the previous spell's aoe is still running

everyone who is just starting to do ff15, please do yourselves a favor and turn off all the UI elements completely. "but i'll get lost without a minimap!" no you won't. navigate like your ancestors.

the stars under the galaxy cluster that looks kind of like a milky way that make a diamond shape, are the constellation Zenogias. it indicates maybe a dozen degrees west off north, and doesn't move even though the rest of the night skybox will depending on your geographic position

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 24, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The White Dragon posted:

there are a couple possibilities:
1) it was your last spell grenade, craft a new one
2) the previous spell's aoe is still running

everyone who is just starting to do ff15, please do yourselves a favor and turn off all the UI elements completely. "but i'll get lost without a minimap!" no you won't. navigate like your ancestors.

the stars under the galaxy cluster that looks kind of like a milky way that make a diamond shape, are the constellation Zenogias. it indicates maybe a dozen degrees west off north, and doesn't move even though the rest of the night skybox will depending on your geographic position

On the other hand I got turned around just going from the garage to Galdin Quay at the start with the map on so gently caress you

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

On the other hand I got turned around just going from the garage to Galdin Quay at the start with the map on so gently caress you

it's not my fault that you have a negative wisdom modifier

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also navigate stars works, you know, at night, and not during the day

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it works during the day too but there's only one star

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Then again our ancenstors also did fishing without a HUD but gently caress that seriously

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally bought FFXII.

Is there anything I should know

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Most bosses have a desperation "attack" called a Paling that they use to make themselves invincible from certain types of damage (phys, mag, etc etc). You MUST watch the combat log for this, because there isn't any special animation for it, it just says <BOSS NAME> puts up a paling that nullifies <DAMAGE TYPE> in its tiny, barely-readable font, as you do, and it'll quickly be scrolled out by something like "basch hits boss for 0 damage."

If you don't, the boss will simply regen all its health, while staying in low HP desperation AI mode and ruining your day until the paling runs out. Then, it'll cast the paling again when it gets low and I hope you saw it this time because I sure as hell never did.

Sometimes, bosses will cast a paling that blocks both physical and magic damage! Why? Because gently caress you.

If this sounds like some kind of powerful ability that only superbosses would be able to use, think again. All bosses, starting maybe about halfway through the game, do this. It really sucks.

This may have changed in the Zodiac Age version, but in the original, palings also blocked Quickenings (your limit breaks that can be chained for massive damage, but matsuno is the only person on the face of this earth who actually understands how to chain them), which are supposed to be almighty/untyped damage. So be careful of that too.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 24, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm confused by the design decision, what's the point of the total immunity? Get some free turns attacking me and forcing me on taking a defensive stance? See if I know some obscure mechanic to bypass it?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's supposed to make you switch strategies from Physical to Magic or vice versa, but in practice it just punishes you for not chaining Quickenings (or, not getting lucky enough for chaining them to even be an option) when you see a boss's health bar get to around 20%.

It starts out not so bad, I guess, but after a certain point, bosses have hundreds of thousands of HP, so it becomes increasingly difficult to do the damage with a Quickening chain because their HP goes up, but the base power of Quickening Chains doesn't really scale up that well so they'll do a burst of a massive 30-50k at the beginning of the game, but they'll do about the same damage at the end too.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 24, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Elentor posted:

I finally bought FFXII.

Is there anything I should know

The game is practically designed to be played with a guide if you want to do all the sidequests and get powerful endgame gear.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it one of those "you can figure everything out in-game" like chocobo breeding or "there's literally no hint if you don't have a guide in your first playthrough" like getting Excalibur II?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Elentor posted:

Is it one of those "you can figure everything out in-game" like chocobo breeding or "there's literally no hint if you don't have a guide in your first playthrough" like getting Excalibur II?

The latter. I mean sure, there are really vague hints about stuff but lots of it you have no way of knowing like specific recipes needed for ultimate gear or where to find a specific spell or piece equipment.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
FF7 did technically tell you how to get Gold Chocobos, but having to go to a far out NPC who would only give you a tiny bit of info after a certain amount of battles that's not told to the player is a level of obnoxious that goes beyond "it's available in the game", imo. It's an extra amount of obtuse tedium on an already obtuse and tedious part of the game that I would definitely count as needing a guide for. And I'm the kind of person who typically loves talking to the same NPCs over and over throughout the game for new dialogue (Trails in the Sky/Cold Steel are my jams).

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I'm not arguing that the whole method exists to sell magazines, I just wanted to know if it's the "it sells magazines but it's also explained poorly inside the game" or "it sells magazines and it's not mentioned at all".

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You should just play the game, you'll be fine

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will I'm just throwing words away while my lovely ISP ever so slowly downloads it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I don't think I've seen any boss that uses a paling AND heals. Only one I've seen where "kill it before it full-heals" is a thing is one where that's its entire gimmick (still an annoying one). General thoughts on FF12 (I assume Zodiac Age):
--Any character can be any job. They have some stat differences, but only on the level that minmaxers will care about, not "this person's only good as a caster". For whatever reason Balthier does attack 10% slower with guns and Fran 10% slower with bows, which they start with, and a couple of characters have slightly slower attack animations that add up if you give them a multiattack weapon, but still quite useable.
--All jobs are good, some are more good than others. You'll unlock a second set of jobs for each character, it's probably better to double down on strengths rather than make a party of all-rounders, but that's up to you.
--Different weapons have different damage formulae. Generally similar calculations, but for example maces use the character's magic and enemy's defense while poles use the character's strength and the enemy's magic-defense. Wear gear that buffs the stats your attacker is using.
--You're always given somewhere to go, but aside from one stretch in the beginning you're not really forced to go there. Want to run around the low areas and grind up a huge chain for the heck of it? Sure. Want to step into a side area that has guys 20 levels higher than you? Knock yourself out (probably literally). A corollary of this is that it's very easy to get in over your head, don't assume you need to kill anything you see. Even at-level areas often have one superenemy that's neutral but will kick your poo poo in if you piss it off.
--Every job has 4 quickening slots but can only get three of them. Check what's locked behind those before you buy them, the slots have different costs but the quickenings are all the same so it's just a matter of how early you get them and what else is behind them. Shikari in particular, all their ninja sword access is behind those, and ninja swords are good. You probably want access to the Yagyu Darkblade behind the last quickening slot. Same for espers later, check what everybody would get access to before deciding who takes it.
--Chests are weird in this game. Some have set loot, some are random. Some only spawn once (usually the ones with set loot), some will respawn if you go a couple of screens away. Zodiac got rid of most of the "here's a 10% chance to get early access to a good weapon" so don't worry about it too much. If you get good stuff, great, use it, but the game isn't built around you needing them. There's one accessory that changes the loot in chests, most of the time it changes it to "gold or small chance of a usable damage item (meteorite)" but in the Cerobi Steppe late in the game the chests are junk unless you wear it, in which case they pretty much all have a small chance to have endgame gear.
--There's no good stealing macro, but it's still something you want to make use of (generally with a "Foe HP=100% --> Steal" gambit, it's not perfect but it's the best we get). With chests being randomised that's going to be a great source of income either in bazaar loot or actual gear. Like with chests, Zodiac tweaked a lot of the really broken early steals, so don't drive yourself mad over it, but definitely something to leave running.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 25, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding FFXV voice acting, I don't have many comments except for the fact that the English voice acting for Ignis is very, very different from his JP voice acting. The JP voice acting makes him sound more...restrained, for lack of a better word, and I feel like the general impression he gives with it is significant different than with the English voice. The other party members' English voices are decent approximations of their JP ones, though.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dear Diary,

Today I ventured for the first time into the realms of Final Fantasy, the Twelfth.

OPENING

Two baby-faced CGI characters are marrying and kissing each other. The colors and designs make me think of A Phantom Menace.

This opening confuses me a lot. There's a free-form mix of medieval combat, armor, high fantasy magic, and literal futuristic spaceships shooting laser at each other. Some parts of the music remind me of John Williams. Is this Star Wars, I wonder.

This opening is long and bores me where's the stuff that's short and to the point. Eh, I'm just rambling. It's fine. As I watch this bizarre mash of ideas and hate it for not being Vagrant Story I also appreciate it for being somewhat different. There's a badass bearded guy.

The baby-faced married guy dies. I cannot say I care.

TUTORIAL

I don't like that there's a tutorial but the badass bearded guy tells me which buttons to press. I giggle.

The combat reminds me of Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story. I like traditional turn-based combats but I'm more than pleased with this iteration so far.

I kill a boss and for some unexplainable reason I hear the voice com of the ship pilot and his plight. This is some Austin Powers level of red-shirt guy characterization. His boss says he did good and tells him to retreat. I feel genuinely attached to the poor guy and want to know more about him. I imagine him coming home and crying, having an emotional breakdown saying he almost died, his ship caught fire. His family says it will be alright.

Why can't I move the menu with the analog stick, what the gently caress.

Wait, badass bearded guy killed the King? You crazy psychotic gently caress. He killed baby-faced main character. That explains why he looked at him so sad when he realized he was about to kill a 17 years old dude. gently caress you. I have a younger brother to take care of.

THE FEDERATIVE REPUBLIC OF BRAZIL, JUNE THE 25TH, 2018 ANNO DOMINI

Elentor fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 25, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Can you please LP the entirety of ff12 in this style? No pictures, videos, or audio. They would just ruin the magic.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Quicker you ignore FFXIIs story and just focus on getting mad loots and exploring the better.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Elentor posted:

Is this Star Wars, I wonder.

Someone's going to pop in and scream about hero's journey soon

Elentor posted:

Why can't I move the menu with the analog stick, what the gently caress.

Why would you want to, you heathen?

Elentor posted:

This opening is long and bores me where's the stuff that's short and to the point.

You're going to love FF12...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
“I am well aware of the fact that we announced [FF7R] too early,” Nomura said.

:thunk:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I mean, it's not Nomura's fault. He didn't even know he was on the project when it was announced.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Attitude Indicator posted:

Why would you want to, you heathen?

I'd like not have to switch my thumb from the stick to the pad every time I enter combat since the game doesn't let me use the pad to control the character. It's no big deal, I can just play with the KB and the issue is solved.

Attitude Indicator posted:

You're going to love FF12...

I'm having a lot of fun thus far. Game feels like a proto-FFXIV and the amount of superfluous, boring, shutupalready political dialogue in FFXIV is so huge that it got me numb to the stuff going on in FFXII.

WaltherFeng posted:

Quicker you ignore FFXIIs story and just focus on getting mad loots and exploring the better.

I'm not playing a FF to ignore the story so even if it's bad I'll give it my full attention. Game so far seems enjoyable for exploratory purposes and that's good because I enjoy exploring.

lobster22221 posted:

Can you please LP the entirety of ff12 in this style? No pictures, videos, or audio. They would just ruin the magic.

Uhh, maybe. I'm just playing casually for now. I'll see if there's enough content to turn it into a LP.

I enjoy every time Square admits a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Why people even care? Like he said, it was going to leak anyway and why does it matter when it is announced? So fanboys dont have to obsess over a game project for 5 years? Just play other (really good) games in the mean time

Sorry I just dont see why it matters