Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

babypolis posted:

yeah like that

haha mind blown

the first time i did a double-take with language like that a bunch of teenage girls in a club heard Journey play and screamed "los ochentaaaaas!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

etalian posted:

lmao look at the WSJ crying crocodile tears over AMLO winning

Bad Mean Trump is causing latin american countries to pick leader who are not "aligned" with US interests.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-mexico-problem-1528054201

Trump... Good?!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Plutonis posted:

Trump... Good?!

I remember reading a crying confessional from the former US ambassador to Panama whining because of Trump the US is having a harder time to control latin american countries or block leftists.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

how's this going

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Yandat posted:

how's this going

amldo died tragically op we are all very sad and now meados is president for life

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

but how is el perrito supergordito

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

but how is el perrito supergordito

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

lmao

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

but yeah amlo is definitely going to win with probably over 50%, the main concern is morena getting a majority in lege and amlo not moving to the center too much

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The candidate representing the governing party in Mexico's presidential race couldn't remember the title of his own upcoming book during a recent interview, inspiring mocking memes on social media.

Jose Antonio Meade, the candidate for the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI), was asked during an interview on the Televisa show Third Degree (Tercer Grado) why he hadn't written a book outlining his vision for the country like his opponent Andrés Manuel López Obrador or the current President Enrique Peña Nieto did ahead of the 2012 election.

Meade replied that he had a book coming out the following week, but he said he couldn't remember the title.

"But, you wrote it yourself, right?" asked one of the hosts.

"Yes, yes, yes. The only thing I didn't write myself is the title," Meade replied.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is the first pro-trump meme i've seen so far

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lmao rest in piss PRI y PAN

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

:yeshaha:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

im not sure everyone is aware how loving insane it is for a party in meico to get 60% of the vote

to put it in perspective pena nieto won in 2012 with 38% and that was considered a landslide victory

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

babypolis posted:

im not sure everyone is aware how loving insane it is for a party in meico to get 60% of the vote

to put it in perspective pena nieto won in 2012 with 38% and that was considered a landslide victory

yeah i’m not versed in mexican politics and had to check past election results to see how unprecedented this is/could be. if he’s elected in such landslide, what realisticly could/would/will he do? from a few not very informative articles i read in the ny times and new yorker it seems like his main focus is corruption, but can anyone share a link for a better and more complete article on his agenda?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

gonna be funny in a week when he wins overwhelmingly and all american media acts shocked and horrified at these totally unexpected turn of events and trump tweets about him after learning about his existence for the first time

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

yeah i’m not versed in mexican politics and had to check past election results to see how unprecedented this is/could be. if he’s elected in such landslide, what realisticly could/would/will he do? from a few not very informative articles i read in the ny times and new yorker it seems like his main focus is corruption, but can anyone share a link for a better and more complete article on his agenda?

if he and morena get near 60% of the vote theyre going to have a dominant majority in the legislature and will be able to do basically whatever the gently caress they want. really it entirely depends on how actually to the left AMLO and his party want to go.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there's going to be a cia coup in mexico in a couple of years lol

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

there's going to be a cia coup in mexico in a couple of years lol

surprised there havent been any attempts on amlo yet tbh

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the reptilians have already replaced most of his close associates and will soon be wearing obrador as a skin suit

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

gonna be funny in a week when he wins overwhelmingly and all american media acts shocked and horrified at these totally unexpected turn of events and trump tweets about him after learning about his existence for the first time

Imagine all the pearl clutching from media outlets like the WSJ

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

etalian posted:

i know tons of people who literally think mobs are going to show up the night of the elections demanding to take your house and rape your daughters lol. their tears on election will be delicious

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

etalian posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...1eaf_story.html

quote:

Analysts and intellectuals say his lack of respect for Mexican government institutions could usher in a period of quasi-autocracy ... López Obrador has already promoted several institutional changes on the campaign trail. He will hold a referendum on his presidency after three years, stepping down if he loses, rather than fulfill the six-year term enshrined in Mexico’s constitution. Other pledges have been more theatrical: He won’t live in the presidential palace, or fly on the presidential plane (which he says he’ll sell to President Trump).

Those promises don’t flout Mexico’s democratic values, but a leader willing to depart from institutional norms could try to consolidate power, some say, much as the late president Hugo Chávez did in Venezuela.

refusing to waste money on a presidential plane and holding referendums in a purely legal manner is quasi-autocracy.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Yandat posted:

how's this going
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvvTWB7SHuw

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

GoluboiOgon posted:

refusing to waste money on a presidential plane and holding referendums in a purely legal manner is quasi-autocracy.

hahahaha

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GoluboiOgon posted:

This is disrupting "institutional norms" and decreasing the amount of decorum in mexican politics.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the funniest thing about it is that lopez obrador has generally refrained from personal attacks and has already said that he has no plans to prosecute the epn administration. meanwhile anaya wants to put pena nieto in jail and meade literally said obrador was responsible for all kinds of violence and civil unrest

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

GoluboiOgon posted:

warnings on electing a demagogue from the Wall Street Journal

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/EsDeMamador/status/1010556317038071808

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

GoluboiOgon posted:

lmao the well-known autocratic move of holding a referendum on whether he should step down or not

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

surprised there havent been any attempts on amlo yet tbh

Too busy chasing deep state crisis actors

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anyways I'm extremely for all the hot take after almo breaks the "rising populist right wing" narrative

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

The candidate representing the governing party in Mexico's presidential race couldn't remember the title of his own upcoming book during a recent interview, inspiring mocking memes on social media.

Jose Antonio Meade, the candidate for the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI), was asked during an interview on the Televisa show Third Degree (Tercer Grado) why he hadn't written a book outlining his vision for the country like his opponent Andrés Manuel López Obrador or the current President Enrique Peña Nieto did ahead of the 2012 election.

Meade replied that he had a book coming out the following week, but he said he couldn't remember the title.

"But, you wrote it yourself, right?" asked one of the hosts.

"Yes, yes, yes. The only thing I didn't write myself is the title," Meade replied.

Wow he really is like Jeb!

gaydad
Mar 23, 2015
https://www.economist.com/leaders/2018/06/23/amlo-mexicos-answer-to-donald-trump

lmao gently caress these nerds

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Time and again he has shown contempt for the law. He has urged people not to pay their electricity bills.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

this is my fav part

" Mr Trump is constrained by Congress, an independent judiciary, a free press and a bureaucracy with a long tradition of following the law. "

yeah theyve done such a good job of constraining him lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

babypolis posted:

this is my fav part

" Mr Trump is constrained by Congress, an independent judiciary, a free press and a bureaucracy with a long tradition of following the law. "

yeah theyve done such a good job of constraining him lol

Also that it would be good for AMLO to stand up to trump on trade but it would be a mistake to hurt NAFTA