Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Pierson posted:

Aaaah okay. Is there a different Necro build that isn't so feast-and-famine? I don't really care about pushing higher grifts, just completing the season journey.

Inarius is essentially wandering around like an undead lawnmower with a cyclone of bones around you, replentishing the cyclone periodically for a good burst of additional damage...

...and using Land of the Dead and CL/Brittle to get the bigger jobs done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Lazy Bones//Bonestorm is a great farming spec, but Trag Blood Mages is my personal favorite Necromancer build in terms of balancing active skills and pet shenanigans

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Pierson posted:

Aaaah okay. Is there a different Necro build that isn't so feast-and-famine?

https://www.diablofans.com/builds/94596-2-6-1-blight-spear-speedfarm-gr90

I found that to be much more satisfying to play than the "just run away until LotD is up" normal build. LotD CD is still a core thing, but you have other buttons to push in the meantime.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Tsed posted:

https://www.diablofans.com/builds/94596-2-6-1-blight-spear-speedfarm-gr90

I found that to be much more satisfying to play than the "just run away until LotD is up" normal build. LotD CD is still a core thing, but you have other buttons to push in the meantime.
I'll give this one a shot then before I abandon Pestilence entirely. I do love how when LotD is up and your groove is going you're basically a giant itano circus of bones.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 22, 2018

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

Cheers for the earlier advice guys.

Do cube effects stack with items of the same? Say I have a pair of bracers that give 350% damage on my seismic slam. If I cube one and wear the other, will I get the benefit of both and get a 700% increase for example?

And does weapon damage factor into power damage? I've got a lvl. 20ish flail that increases blessed hammer damage by 100%, if that quickly becomes underpowered compared to what's available is it better to cube it, keep the bonus that way, and use a stronger weapon to increase potential power damage also?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Marshal Plugnut posted:

Cheers for the earlier advice guys.

Do cube effects stack with items of the same? Say I have a pair of bracers that give 350% damage on my seismic slam. If I cube one and wear the other, will I get the benefit of both and get a 700% increase for example?

And does weapon damage factor into power damage? I've got a lvl. 20ish flail that increases blessed hammer damage by 100%, if that quickly becomes underpowered compared to what's available is it better to cube it, keep the bonus that way, and use a stronger weapon to increase potential power damage also?

Wearing and cubing the same item does nothing.

Weapon damage is extremely important - it's the base number that gets applied to all your various bonuses and skill damage levels. Sometimes though you need to consider the following:

Flail with 2000 damage and +50% Sweep Attack
Flail with 1900 damage and +125% Sweep Attack

Obviously you'd want the second one if you use sweep attack for all your actual damage

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

As a barb, is the Furious Charge build the one I should be trying to complete? Basically Raekor / Immortal King sets and a few other pieces?

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Wearing and cubing the same item does nothing.

Weapon damage is extremely important - it's the base number that gets applied to all your various bonuses and skill damage levels. Sometimes though you need to consider the following:

Flail with 2000 damage and +50% Sweep Attack
Flail with 1900 damage and +125% Sweep Attack

Obviously you'd want the second one if you use sweep attack for all your actual damage

Thanks. So cube the flail to keep the +100% bonus, and use a weapon appropriate to my level to boost damage further? I've had this flail for about 8 levels at least and loot I'm finding is far higher base damage

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If you can cube it, yeah go ahead and do it. You want that for its orange text and equip something more level appropriate.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Marshal Plugnut posted:

Thanks. So cube the flail to keep the +100% bonus, and use a weapon appropriate to my level to boost damage further? I've had this flail for about 8 levels at least and loot I'm finding is far higher base damage

Yeah, if your weapon is only level 20 it's best to cube it. If you get one of these, it's also very good:

https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/faithful-memory-P61_Unique_Sword_2H_012_x1

Bonus points if you can find one of these (and use the "2 handed weapon in one hand" perk if necessary so you can wield it)

https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/guard-of-johanna-Unique_Shield_103_x1

Khorne
May 1, 2002

5er posted:

(Zoltan Kulle should be Diablo 4's Deckard Cain, in every possible way.)
D4 should just have Cain and ignore that D3 ever happened. Give D3 the Link's Awakening treatment. "It was just a dream, who would really use the word nephalem?"

It can have Kulle too, because Kulle is a very diablo guy kinda. At the very least, he's an amusing character in a sea of total garbage.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Wait, everybody seems to be talking about D4 like it's confirmed and definitely going to happen. Do we actually know? Has there been an announcement?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

They announced they are working on a new Diablo project, which we assume is D4.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

DreadCthulhu posted:

Wait, everybody seems to be talking about D4 like it's confirmed and definitely going to happen. Do we actually know? Has there been an announcement?

I am talking like it's an inevitability of rain eventually, not that I know exactly when it's going to rain.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
From what little I can remember of the story, Diablo's soul is free at the end of RoS.
So just have D4 be a 'spiritual successor' to Diablo: one town, one really long dungeon for the plot (lol) plus a second dungeon for the post-story content.

And none of D3's low mob density. I want my character to feel like they're wading through gibs once I've cleared a room.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

kingturnip posted:

And none of D3's low mob density. I want my character to feel like they're wading through gibs once I've cleared a room.

:same:

it should be doubled or tripled for regular rifts and boosted by like 50% for grifts

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Heeheeeee, Energy Twister wizard is so good.

I'm wearing a yellow ring and a yellow amulet and my only legendary gem is a Bane of the Powerful

Just smashed through a GR70 in 6 minutes!!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

kingturnip posted:

From what little I can remember of the story, Diablo's soul is free at the end of RoS.
So just have D4 be a 'spiritual successor' to Diablo: one town, one really long dungeon for the plot (lol) plus a second dungeon for the post-story content.

The end cutscene of RoS also seems to be setting up a "oh no the Nephalem got too powerful and were corruptedTM and are now turning towards evil" kind of D2 all over again thing.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

DreadCthulhu posted:

I'm too lazy to type it all out, so just listen to Rhykker explain it.

Progress
Jun 18, 2004

this is it
After getting my wizard to ~600 paragon level, I was thinking of going with a zdps character next for easy high level grift grouping.

What classes have a zdps build? Do they all play pretty much the same or are there differences between them?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They are all very different based on the roll they do. Barb has thr most essential and can make or break a group. Monks are just as important, but a lot easier to do. There is also zdps wizard builds but way less common.

If you are doing rat runs, then there is a different zdps barb build that is easy to gear and play as well as a zdps necro build.

Your best bet is to go watch YouTube guides, especially if any of the people in the OP have produced a guide, and see which one interests you.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Check the leaderboards for 2 man, 3 man, and 4man Grifts and you'll see the various zDPS builds that are useful for each one.

They tend to have pretty good flexibility on skills and gems and gear, which is fun.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What does the DPS of a weapon really signify when attacks are often so completely divorced from the weapon being used? If I'm using a channeling skill, like the wizard's lasers, is it weapon damage or weapon DPS that's relevant? From the tool tip description I'd think just the weapon damage.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Rinkles posted:

What does the DPS of a weapon really signify when attacks are often so completely divorced from the weapon being used? If I'm using a channeling skill, like the wizard's lasers, is it weapon damage or weapon DPS that's relevant? From the tool tip description I'd think just the weapon damage.
DPS, mostly. Skill damage is based on the weapon's damage, but the speed at which you can use abilities (including the tick rate of channeled abilities) is based on the weapon's swing time. You'll notice this if you switch from a 1h to a 2h or vice versa: the 2h does more damage per hit but attacks are noticeably slower.

Realistically, every build is locked into either 1h or 2h, and most of them are locked into a specific weapon, so the weapon speed never really comes into play in endgame optimization.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Finished Guardian, dunno if I have the will to make another dude or play more this season. Topped out at GR 80. Good nuff.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

RCarr posted:

As a barb, is the Furious Charge build the one I should be trying to complete? Basically Raekor / Immortal King sets and a few other pieces?

Yeah if it's fun. Do what's fun all barb builds are different but decent enough for all but like edge gr pushing.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

RCarr posted:

They announced they are working on a new Diablo project, which we assume is D4.

I'm thinking well get some form of D2 HD first, which I'd still be hype as gently caress for.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Can't wait for my free to play e-sports diablo

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Pierson posted:

I'll give this one a shot then before I abandon Pestilence entirely. I do love how when LotD is up and your groove is going you're basically a giant itano circus of bones.

There's a rune on Blood Rush that causes it to leave a corpse behind. If LotD isn't up you can often use that to corpse lance some weaker enemies to get you rolling again. Kind of a fun little mini game in between your LotD murder sprees.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Diablo battle royale card moba crafting survival with touch controls, daily energy that you can buy more of, and looooootboooooxes!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

funkmeister posted:

Diablo battle royale card moba crafting survival with touch controls, daily energy that you can buy more of, and looooootboooooxes!

Zynga wants to hire you.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Seriously after how badly they hosed up D3 I'm going to be pissed when D4 is mobile-friendly

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I wonder if they'll build on D3, go back to D2 as a guiding template, or try a whole new direction. Either way, they're bound to disappoint a large amount of people, and not just whiners.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
I guess I'm not really sure what "going back to D2 as a guiding template" means. Less invasive plot?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Different approach to skill trees, to difficulty scaling, resource management, the importance of gear sets, runewords, the end game

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

pyromance posted:

I guess I'm not really sure what "going back to D2 as a guiding template" means. Less invasive plot?

At this point in time, it means to copy Path of Exile or something.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Different approach to skill trees, to difficulty scaling, resource management, the importance of gear sets, runewords, the end game

Most of these are done better by D3 than D2, though?

The skill tree (before respecs were added) existed to make normal difficulty annoying for a lot of builds if you had weak synergies before 18/24. Running a hammerdin was a prime example of feeling like garbage until you got to A4. Now that respecs exist, is the D2 skill tree significantly different in practice to the rune system in D3? Was that a bad change, in your opinion?

Difficulty scaling in D2 is nonexistent compared to D3. Either you had the build/gear to do hell or you didn't, and the next plateau was if you had the build/gear to do ubers.

Resource management is a lot more complicated in D3 than D2 with cooldowns and the lack of mana steal/full instant heal rejuves. I mean, generally speaking, you don't think about your non-cooldown resources in either game by the endgame, and cooldowns aren't a concern for most builds in D2. I can see the appeal of not having super long cooldowns like land of the dead, but it also adds some more depth to gearing options for builds, and D3 desperately needed any kind of depth it could grab onto for gear.

Gear sets/rune words were handled better in D2 just because D3 progression just boils down to numbers, and you can't really get big ones without a set and a specific batch of legendaries. D2s runewords opened up a lot of new builds, but were, for the most part, not accessible without duping/botting before drop rate changes.

If your endgame in D2 was pvp, then yeah you're going to think D2 had better endgame. For most people, it was farming a lot (bot or not), trading, and running literally the same places over and over. I think the edge goes to D3 for non-pvp endgame, and both of them are way behind something like PoEs maps/atlas system.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can someone explain to me what I’m doing wrong with my barb? I have all the best in slot gear, but only one ancient, and they aren’t all great rolls. I copied the furious barb guide as far as skills/paragon/etc and I still feel super weak.

Is my approach basically: Spam furious charge, use ancient spear when at full fury, and keep battle rage and sprint activated nonstop? Call of the ancients are up nonstop, and I use wrath of the berserker when fighting elites/etc.

I feel like I should have no problem doing a GR70 but I barely do any damage to anything.

Am I doing anything wrong?

I still haven’t leveled up bane of the trapped/stricken at all but my esoteric gem is level 55 or so.

Edit:

534 paragon
7351 strength
Crit hit chance 43%
Crit hit damage 317%
Area damage 106%
Cooldown reduction 16.3%
Call of the ancients damage 51%
Furious charge damage 15%
Ancient spear damage 14%
Damage reduction 81%
Resists range from 750-10060

RCarr fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 23, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

pyromance posted:

Most of these are done better by D3 than D2, though?

The skill tree (before respecs were added) existed to make normal difficulty annoying for a lot of builds if you had weak synergies before 18/24. Running a hammerdin was a prime example of feeling like garbage until you got to A4. Now that respecs exist, is the D2 skill tree significantly different in practice to the rune system in D3? Was that a bad change, in your opinion?

Difficulty scaling in D2 is nonexistent compared to D3. Either you had the build/gear to do hell or you didn't, and the next plateau was if you had the build/gear to do ubers.

Resource management is a lot more complicated in D3 than D2 with cooldowns and the lack of mana steal/full instant heal rejuves. I mean, generally speaking, you don't think about your non-cooldown resources in either game by the endgame, and cooldowns aren't a concern for most builds in D2. I can see the appeal of not having super long cooldowns like land of the dead, but it also adds some more depth to gearing options for builds, and D3 desperately needed any kind of depth it could grab onto for gear.

Gear sets/rune words were handled better in D2 just because D3 progression just boils down to numbers, and you can't really get big ones without a set and a specific batch of legendaries. D2s runewords opened up a lot of new builds, but were, for the most part, not accessible without duping/botting before drop rate changes.

If your endgame in D2 was pvp, then yeah you're going to think D2 had better endgame. For most people, it was farming a lot (bot or not), trading, and running literally the same places over and over. I think the edge goes to D3 for non-pvp endgame, and both of them are way behind something like PoEs maps/atlas system.

First, thanks for taking the time to write that out.

A lot of changes are straight up improvements (not having to worry about perfecting your build right out of the gate because of nonexistent/limited respecs), but some are a question of preference or difference in design ethos.

Regarding skillpoint systems. There's depth in simple point allocation. On top of selecting what skills to use, you also have to weigh how to distribute points between them. You could argue this results in mostly minor differences (since min maxing the build critical skills is usually given), but you're still going to end up with a lot of diversity. Personally, I think it also makes (pre-end game) leveling more interesting, because you're building towards something instead of choosing between mostly interchangeable skills.

I'm not saying this system is superior or deeper to D3's (at all!), especially since one thing I appreciate about D3's way of doing things is that it eliminates much of arcane minutiae of optimization. There's still plenty of numbers that require a cabal of nerds to comprehensively decode, but the important broad strokes stuff is very accessible. But I wouldn't categorically call it better, when there's stuff I appreciate in the alternative.

Regarding difficulty scaling, again maybe a personal thing, but I like being tested against a curated benchmark. I don't want to have to think about whether this is too easy or too difficult, that's something I want to adjust to (rather than adjusting it myself). That requires a level of trust in the designers, and its definitely a hard thing to get right with how varied the skills/characters/items and the actual players are. In a way, D3's answer is the easy way out (you don't have to worry about disparate power levels that much if you just have an infinitely scaling difficulty level), but that's not to say it's not a smart solution (but it also has consequences I don't like).

Regarding gear, I don't like the uniformity that sets impose BUT they definitely do interesting things with them, and there's still space for some customization, and I loved the feeling of power when I first completed one.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

RCarr posted:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can someone explain to me what I’m doing wrong with my barb? I have all the best in slot gear, but only one ancient, and they aren’t all great rolls. I copied the furious barb guide as far as skills/paragon/etc and I still feel super weak.

Is my approach basically: Spam furious charge, use ancient spear when at full fury, and keep battle rage and sprint activated nonstop? Call of the ancients are up nonstop, and I use wrath of the berserker when fighting elites/etc.

I feel like I should have no problem doing a GR70 but I barely do any damage to anything.

Am I doing anything wrong?

I still haven’t leveled up bane of the trapped/stricken at all but my esoteric gem is level 55 or so.

Edit:

534 paragon
7351 strength
Crit hit chance 43%
Crit hit damage 317%
Area damage 106%
Cooldown reduction 16.3%
Call of the ancients damage 51%
Furious charge damage 15%
Ancient spear damage 14%
Damage reduction 81%
Resists range from 750-10060

Wrath of the berserker should be up 100% of the time because ancient spear resets the cooldown (4 piece IK bonus). If you're using 5 piece IK then it's a huge bonus. Not as big if you're using 5 piece Raekor but it's still big. Trapped/stricken are also pretty important.

RoRG (act 1 cache) is ESSENTIAL to the build so make sure it's in your cube.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 23, 2018