Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

feelix posted:

The entire Heide's Tower of Flame direction is one of the more difficult possible early paths, but it's perfectly possible to go that way. More problematic is the fact that you are on a very short dead-end branch of that path that is not intended to be tackled until much later and doesn't give you anything you'd want in the early game.

It kinda feels like at one point in designing the world they intended for you to go through Heides first. The weirdest thing about my first playthrough was getting to Bastille from Forest and finding every enemy turned the other way. There's even a puzzle that I didn't know of until way later that allowed you to get past a blocked door using a firebomb. You could then get a key from the other side (around where you come in from forest) that let you skip past the sentinels and pursuer entirely. Before I discovered that I thought that you had to go down both heides and forest to skip sentinels.

Going through heides first and skipping all that feels like a secret, but the way the enemies are all facing and their triggers make you feel like you're doing it the right way! Especially with the pyromancer kicking the exploding barrel down at you. Why does he even kick it when you approach from behind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Rubellavator posted:

It kinda feels like at one point in designing the world they intended for you to go through Heides first. The weirdest thing about my first playthrough was getting to Bastille from Forest and finding every enemy turned the other way. There's even a puzzle that I didn't know of until way later that allowed you to get past a blocked door using a firebomb. You could then get a key from the other side (around where you come in from forest) that let you skip past the sentinels and pursuer entirely. Before I discovered that I thought that you had to go down both heides and forest to skip sentinels.

Going through heides first and skipping all that feels like a secret, but the way the enemies are all facing and their triggers make you feel like you're doing it the right way! Especially with the pyromancer kicking the exploding barrel down at you. Why does he even kick it when you approach from behind?

My first playthrough was the same, that's why I said "more difficult" as opposed to "not intended". I agree that Forest is easier but I see no reason to believe that one way was any more "intended" than the other

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

feelix posted:

My first playthrough was the same, that's why I said "more difficult" as opposed to "not intended". I agree that Forest is easier but I see no reason to believe that one way was any more "intended" than the other

Forest opens up basic services in Majula and is by far the least rewarding area in the game otherwise.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Forest is a pretty difficult area until you get a decent weapon, just because there are numerous areas (in fact almost every encounter that I can think of) where you're liable to get swarmed by hollows if you're not pulling them carefully, and as soon as you take one hit you're basically stunlocked to death if you're fighting more than one. Plus the hollows in DS2 can sprint towards you and do charging stab attack with no wind-up. It's definitely my least favourite area in the game. There are others that are irritating but usually by then you at least have the capability to use decent weapons and armor.

The shortcut into the Cardinal Tower bonfire room is also stupidly non-obvious and I've had to refresh a couple of times just because the exploding barrels get destroyed by the surrounding hollows, and that's when I'm trying to make it blow up. I don't think I discovered that shortcut on my first playthrough at all.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rubellavator posted:

It kinda feels like at one point in designing the world they intended for you to go through Heides first.

FoFG was definitely intended to be the "starting" area. It's clear that they spent the most time on polishing it and establishing a good difficulty curve, and it's where you get most of your big "firsts" (access to Melentia and Lifegems, lots of free Titanite shards, etc.). My guess is that they assumed most new players would either not find the door to the Pursuer or they'd get their rear end kicked repeatedly by him and decide to go off elsewhere for a while, which would eventually lead them to the proper entrance to Lost Bastille. It's easy to forget that Pursuer is legitimately a huge stone wall to someone who's brand new to the series; I think I have more attempts on him than any other boss in the entire trilogy, including O&S and Friede.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Volte posted:

Forest is a pretty difficult area until you get a decent weapon, just because there are numerous areas (in fact almost every encounter that I can think of) where you're liable to get swarmed by hollows if you're not pulling them carefully, and as soon as you take one hit you're basically stunlocked to death if you're fighting more than one. Plus the hollows in DS2 can sprint towards you and do charging stab attack with no wind-up. It's definitely my least favourite area in the game. There are others that are irritating but usually by then you at least have the capability to use decent weapons and armor.

I've beaten SOTFS maybe 10-15 times and FOTFG doesn't even rate in my top 5 worst/least favorite areas in the game. Black Gulch was literally made by Satan.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You run through it with a few poison mosses in your hotbar and it's over, it's easy. The only trouble is when you need to go and get the Chasm and the giants.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

BattleTech posted:

I've beaten SOTFS maybe 10-15 times and FOTFG doesn't even rate in my top 5 worst/least favorite areas in the game. Black Gulch was literally made by Satan.

It's so short though. It's literally one room. Doesn't hold a candle to the bullshit of like a Shrine of Amana or Undead Crypt (the fact that turning on the lights makes things way harder is such a massive troll).

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Thanks for the advice goons, went ahead and bought Scholar of the First Sin so looking forward to cracking this open when I'm done with RE7.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

BattleTech posted:

I was dreading The Gutter and Black Gulch on this playthrough but I did them last night and The Gutter was actually fun and Black Gulch took 5 minutes of being careful, hugging the walls, destroying the statues, and shooting fire arrows at the tar pits. There's not even really anything that can hurt you (other than the Giants down below) if you're playing carefully. I still say that FotFG with starting weapons and stats is the part of the game I look forward to getting out of the way the most.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Gutter is a fine level, just ugly/bland. Like Blighttown it’s very satisfying map to get a good feel for and completely clean out.

Black Gulch has a cool look but it’s a nothing level. Like Sinner’s Rise it’s basically just a DeS style x-3 map where you get a simple, atmospheric run up to the big boss. The poison everywhere gimmick is more stupid than funny though. It wouldn’t be so bad if the statue spit didn’t stagger you.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Volte posted:

I was dreading The Gutter and Black Gulch on this playthrough but I did them last night and The Gutter was actually fun and Black Gulch took 5 minutes of being careful, hugging the walls, destroying the statues, and shooting fire arrows at the tar pits. There's not even really anything that can hurt you (other than the Giants down below) if you're playing carefully. I still say that FotFG with starting weapons and stats is the part of the game I look forward to getting out of the way the most.

I feel like a big part of anti-forest sentiment has less to do with the level in itself and more with the insanely bad stat spread and gear you start with, regardless of which class you pick. the devs went overboard on making you feel miserable at the very beginning of the game, imo.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Who cares man you run through it in 10 minutes, warp back and get your shard and +3 a weapon, kill pursuer on the roof and you're done.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I am so bad at fighting more than one enemy lol. It took me six tries to get through the start of the Burnt Ivory King fight.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

When I first played SotFS (it was my first time with Dark Souls 2) I went Deprived and promptly broke all my weapons before getting past the first FoFG bonfire. I think I was punching people with my bare hands by the time I finally got to the second bonfire and could buy a single weapon.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I'm really bad at this game.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Elderbean posted:

I'm really bad at this game.

you'll hit your stride soon enough if you stick with it, and then you'll look back and wonder how enemy X could ever have given you any trouble. I believe in you.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I decided to finally upgrade to Scholar. My previous completions were big boi with big weapon, twinblade wielder, and faith user, so I think I'm going to go with magic user with 2h enchanted weapon this time. Since the OP is sparse, any particular pointers about going through SotFS compared to the base game?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Pyrolocutus posted:

I decided to finally upgrade to Scholar. My previous completions were big boi with big weapon, twinblade wielder, and faith user, so I think I'm going to go with magic user with 2h enchanted weapon this time. Since the OP is sparse, any particular pointers about going through SotFS compared to the base game?
Do go by Percy to the Bastille because you'll get the Infusion Ember waaaay earlier than in Vanilla this way. Can't rely on just repairing sacrifice rings anymore, the cost has been bumped way up. Some item locations have been changed, for you the most important one is probably that you'll find the best Sorcery staff in Tseldora. A LOT of enemy placements have been changed, just...have fun with that!

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Hi Dark Souls II thread. I'm just dropping by to say that I've just finished every game in my Steam backlog except this one, which I've been saving for the end to really enjoy. I've played Demons and Dark Souls I, but know nothing about the sequel and am really looking forward to dying a lot!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Oooh, so this is the area in the DLC everyone says is the worst in the series lol

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Whats some good infusions to do that don't have many resistances? Also does the elemental infusions scale off faith/int? I am almost done with my first run just wondering for the next character.

E; Also I freaking cheesed Blue Smelter Demon with poison arrows. Got tired of his retarded tracking overhead attacking.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Ulio posted:

Whats some good infusions to do that don't have many resistances? Also does the elemental infusions scale off faith/int? I am almost done with my first run just wondering for the next character.

E; Also I freaking cheesed Blue Smelter Demon with poison arrows. Got tired of his retarded tracking overhead attacking.

As good as the system is, it's not a very hard and fast ruleset. Generally weapons with awful scaling should be turned Raw or Mundane depending on your stats, weapons with inherent non-phys damage should be further infused that way, and Blue Flames should become magic because it's cool as hell. Infusions will scale off their stats, yeah.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Ulio posted:

As good as the system is, it's not a very hard and fast ruleset. Generally weapons with awful scaling should be turned Raw or Mundane depending on your stats, weapons with inherent non-phys damage should be further infused that way, and Blue Flames should become magic because it's cool as hell. Infusions will scale off their stats, yeah.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What's a good place to grab some lifegems?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Elderbean posted:

What's a good place to grab some lifegems?

Melentia, the bottom of the Gutter, Sinner's Rise.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
yo mothergently caress Armorer Dennis

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Now's a good time to read the spoiler from the last time I posted about your adventures :D

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

I beat him for the first time in a while at the Soldier's Rest area the other day, but only with Ruined Alfis providing support. He's just got too good gear and spells for when you fight him.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Simply Simon posted:

Now's a good time to read the spoiler from the last time I posted about your adventures :D

Now it is a good time to become proficient, Thunderbeast. :colbert:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I finally just beat sotfs this means I'm good at Video James now right?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Simply Simon posted:

:darksouls: :arghfist::catstare:

man From really leaned into the whole "Dark souls is hard lol" thing in this one didn't they

Bogart posted:

I beat him for the first time in a while at the Soldier's Rest area the other day, but only with Ruined Alfis providing support. He's just got too good gear and spells for when you fight him.
I tried that! I even went and cleared the entire area first before running back to summon Alfis for the fight against Dennis. Had Alfis tank while I got in backstabs with a halberd (that only did like 1/4-1/3 of his health apiece), but as soon as Dennis turned his eye on me, it was over.

OutofSight posted:

Now it is a good time to become proficient, Thunderbeast. :colbert:
:arghfist::catstare:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

:darksouls: :arghfist::catstare:

man From really leaned into the whole "Dark souls is hard lol" thing in this one didn't they

I tried that! I even went and cleared the entire area first before running back to summon Alfis for the fight against Dennis. Had Alfis tank while I got in backstabs with a halberd (that only did like 1/4-1/3 of his health apiece), but as soon as Dennis turned his eye on me, it was over.

:arghfist::catstare:

Wait until you get to the Iron Keep front door, that area is hysterical.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Day One check in:

1 - I’ve made it through the Forest, the Tower of Flame and the Cathedral of Blue. I’m now massacring undead pirates in No Man’s Wharf.

2 - Tearing your own arm off to use as a club is metal as gently caress. RIP Ugly Spaghettio-Faced Giant.

3 - Echoing the above post, gently caress Armorer Dennis. I was dumb and didn’t realize it was an NPC until a few invasions because he’s so hard relative to the other enemies in the area. Then I read the dead end post and left forever (but not really, I’ll be back for your rear end, DENNIS!!! :argh:

4 - I somehow managed to use the ballista on Pursuer and it was awesome.

5 - I immediately lost all those souls when a) the archer in the first room of the Lost Bastille fell off the ledge, then attacked an explosive barrel killing himself, three dogs, and our hapless warrior hero and b) I followed that up by immediately missing the easy as hell jump and falling to my death. :darksouls:

6 - Pursuer 2: Dark Magic Boogaloo made me peace the gently caress out. I’ll be back for you too, METAL DENNIS!!!!

7 - I was real smug about how easy the Dragonrider was til all those drat knights woke up, forever.

8 - I cheesed the dragon before the Cathedral because I’m a big fat slow rolling wussy.

9 - lol at killing the Old Dragonslayer and realizing that whole area was optional too

I love these games.

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 24, 2018

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

There's actually a good renewable resource right around where you find Armorer Dennis and I found myself going back there a bunch. If you're really slippery, you can grab the resource and use it to help deal with Dennis.

I don't recall how much it explains the method by which it renews, but there's about a 25% chance for it to renew every time you get invaded, whether online or NPC invasion.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Last night I had an itch to see what the old DS2 was like and kicked up Vanilla without DLC. Also I didn't get half of the achievements and thought it might amuse me for a short while before I give up and move on.

There's some weirdness with Vanilla despite it having some of the SotFS changes. So only what I noticed so far:

-Tesladora Spiders give no fucks about your torch and will still attack you. A few of them will try to walk away, but they'll just turn right back around and start attacking you.
-The Alonne Knights proudly use ladders to make up for there being less of them
-Enemy leash length seems fairly longer, and more aggressive, but...
-The AI seems somewhat stupider and way more likely to walk off a ledge to their own death. Or just stand still and swing their weapon a bit, but not really want to move.

Oh, and all of the locations are lit up orange as I run around and level. The multiplayer is still active for some crazy reason.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Andrigaar posted:

-Tesladora Spiders give no fucks about your torch and will still attack you. A few of them will try to walk away, but they'll just turn right back around and start attacking you.
-The Alonne Knights proudly use ladders to make up for there being less of them
-Enemy leash length seems fairly longer, and more aggressive, but...
-The AI seems somewhat stupider and way more likely to walk off a ledge to their own death. Or just stand still and swing their weapon a bit, but not really want to move.

Oh that's why people were not using torches in the youtube videos I was watching...The leash in DS2 sotfs is also really long so I wonder how extreme it was in vanilla. The most annoying thing is most enemy mobs leashing all together instead of individually regardless of their distance to you.

Also about people complaining about armorer dennis. He isn't that bad. Wait until you meet that fucker jester from the dlc. I just cheesed that dude because there is no bonfire near him so can't risk fighting him fairly.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Y'all just go get a murakumo and 2h r2 any annoying invaders if you can't do fight good on them.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
Armorer Dennis was an utter bastard to me, and when I came back for him with bloody vengeance on my mind, he promptly back-dodged right into the crevasse by where he spawns on my first attempt. It was kind of anticlimactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
"Hey Dennis, remember ME? Let's da- oh...okay...well, bye."