Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I should have mentioned that I haven't actually finished it yet because I burned out on Tales (I had just finished Xillia) so I don't know if that carries the whole way through or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

NISA is absolutely DEEN in that everyone hates them for a couple of high profile gently caress ups when most of their output is fine.

The thing is, their other stuff never really gets above "well that's competent, I guess", while their fuckups are legendary.

To go back to my last post (sort of) Ar tonelico 2 and Qoga are poo poo shows. AT2 having a screen you can see upwards of 50 times in a 100% run be untranslated, and then missing the glaring hardlock glitch in the third Raki fight because QA just max-level brute forced it? Dumb.

Qoga, despite a goon's best efforts in synthesis chats and the cosmospheres, is riddled with poor grammar and spelling, to nearly the same extent 2 is. Did I mention NISA promised to do better after 2? Because they did, then shat out Qoga. Much like they promised to fix Ys8, then shat out an ok PC version redo and then apparently forgot to put the new script in the Switch version.

It's more just people starting to realize NISA just kind of do middling work in general outside of NIS products like Disgaea. But even that's starting to change with the debacle that has been Dis5 PC.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I remember hearing a lot about fuckups when Disgaea 1 came out on PC, how'd they manage to screw up 5 again?

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Well, they released a "demo" that was literally the full game with all DLC with an absurdly-easy-to-get-past block beyond the end of the demo, then had to backpedal like mad to get said demo off the internet.

Then they delayed the release because ???.

Last I checked it's still due out this summer but who knows after Ys8.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the translation for the switch port will be fixed in the day 1 patch, I guess

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've heard the TL issues are only in a specific version of the game (the prelaunch download version I think) so yeah, but still not a great look.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Did Ni no Kuni 2 end up being any good?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Andrast posted:

It's good. A bit simple overall and the kingdom building doesn't have a ton of depth, but the game is EXCEEDINGLY cute and was a balm for my soul in lovely times. Don't try to 100% it, you'll lose your mind

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The biggest criticism I have of NNK2 is that it's extremely too easy.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
NNK2 also changed genres by ditching the monster collecting which was the only thing I really liked about the first so it was a hard pass for me

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
It's WAY too easy for the first couple chapters for sure. Once you get your kingdom the difficulty ramps up a bit, not ever to "really hard" but some of the optional stuff like side boss fights can get kinda spicy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i assume nnk2 is like most level 5 games in that it's decent enough for what it is but it doesn't really excel at anything and has some pretty predictable flaws dragging it down

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The Colonel posted:

i assume nnk2 is like most level 5 games in that it's decent enough for what it is but it doesn't really excel at anything and has some pretty predictable flaws dragging it down

Yep that's it. It's also pretty unfinished, the entire second continent of the game has a total of 1 unique location in it, but two places where they obviously cut something major out.
It's also for the best that the combat is easy because the mechanics are not well thought out or tested. Lotta really, REALLY awful hitboxes on some enemies too, and the party AI is often really bad.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 21, 2018

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It went from a monster collector with like 100 monsters in the game to a game with like 10 monsters. Castle building and skirmishes feels tacked on just to add some gimmick to the game but they're mostly ignorable anyway. Overall the game feels incomplete and rushed. So only play it if you want to experience the story with some button mashing combat and some occasional base management inbetween

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Andrast posted:

It's good for like the first 10 hours then you've seen everything in the game and the rest is just boring fetch quests and a mobile builder game for another 30.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Yeah I dropped NNK2 after I got the last party member since it didn't seem like there was much left to see and I had no investment in the story since it was so basic. the first 10-15 hours until you get to that point are fun though.

the character animation tech they used is gorgeous though, hope that makes it into a better game someday or at least one where you don't spend half your time in an overworld view that doesn't even use it.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It's good. A bit simple overall and the kingdom building doesn't have a ton of depth, but the game is EXCEEDINGLY cute and was a balm for my soul in lovely times. Don't try to 100% it, you'll lose your mind

I agree. Comfort-food gaming at it's best. The fact that there's obviously stuff missing is no big deal, given the charm of what is there. I fell easily into its rhythms and had a great time.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

How are the Sword Art Online games? And do you need to watch the anime to understand them?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

How are the Sword Art Online games? And do you need to watch the anime to understand them?

Mediocre. And no. They're pretty much a standalone parallel arc with the same characters.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Do you like fake MMO sort of things? Or, hell, real MMOs, because from what I've been told, the Hollow games play like PSO2 and apparently a couple other MMOs. If you're into that style of game, they're fun fake MMO games with a ton of content and a lot of character customization. Hollow Realization has some stuff from Hollow Fragment that you might miss but honestly the plot is just kinda whatever and you can safely ignore it to be honest. And I don't know anything about the show but I picked up on what was going on easy enough, so you can probably get by.

Lost Song is terrible and I wish I looked into it more before getting it because I thought it would just be like Hollow Fragment. Instead it's a really shallow action RPG thing.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaasAKyyeXk

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dxICJHd518&t=8s

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Realization is okay enough, I think. Fragment is preeeeetty bad.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Grinnblade posted:

Well, they released a "demo" that was literally the full game with all DLC with an absurdly-easy-to-get-past block beyond the end of the demo, then had to backpedal like mad to get said demo off the internet.

Then they delayed the release because ???.

Last I checked it's still due out this summer but who knows after Ys8.

Anyone who buys Disgaea games for the PC should feel zero shame in cheating like a madman after they finish the game and the non-Land of Carnage post game stuff. As for Land of Carnage? Cheat away, because even in Disgaea 5 it takes a goddamn eternity to get anywhere close to maxxed out.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Anyone who buys Disgaea games for the PC should feel zero shame in cheating like a madman after they finish the game and the non-Land of Carnage post game stuff. As for Land of Carnage? Cheat away, because even in Disgaea 5 it takes a goddamn eternity to get anywhere close to maxxed out.

you should check out a speedrun of it. i watched someone beat baal in under 3 hours on a fresh file the other week.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tales of Woe posted:

Yeah I dropped NNK2 after I got the last party member since it didn't seem like there was much left to see and I had no investment in the story since it was so basic. the first 10-15 hours until you get to that point are fun though.

the character animation tech they used is gorgeous though, hope that makes it into a better game someday or at least one where you don't spend half your time in an overworld view that doesn't even use it.

it came out at the same time as the new Atelier and even Gust managed to make a game which felt less cheap than nnk2

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

GrandpaPants posted:

I enjoyed Hollow Realization for a while but kept getting mad at it because they kept talking about really fun things like cooking and crafting and finding secrets and exploring but you don't actually get to do any of those things, only read about doing them. It made me want to switch to Black Desert Online instead. If you're just looking for an action RPG though it's not bad

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is Ys 7 good?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zereth posted:

Is Ys 7 good?

It's the first 'three person party' Ys game so it's a bit rough around the edges but I enjoyed it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
NISA said Ys8 switch is fine guys, they have a rollout plan!!

quote:

Patch v1.01 (June 26)

Short Description: Fixes include adjustment to Nintendo Switch auto-sleep function, incorrect icons displaying, and text refinements.
Current Status: Ready for Launch

Patch v1.02 (Launch Week)

Short Description: Addressing crash issues, some aesthetic issues, and text refinements.
Current Status: Testing Round 2

Patch v1.03 (Week After Launch)

Short Description: Text refinements.
Current Status: Testing Round 1

Patch v1.04 (Mid-July)

Short Description: Japanese Voice Implementation and aesthetic refinements during cutscenes.
Current Status: Testing Round 1

Japanese VO, a thing they already have on other versions, is somehow taking another month to add in

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tae posted:

Japanese VO, a thing they already have on other versions, is somehow taking another month to add in

Probably the team is crashing an nop'ing out after a crazy unsuccessful rush to meet the deadline.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I enjoyed Hollow Realization for a while but kept getting mad at it because they kept talking about really fun things like cooking and crafting and finding secrets and exploring but you don't actually get to do any of those things, only read about doing them. It made me want to switch to Black Desert Online instead. If you're just looking for an action RPG though it's not bad

Yeah that was real annoying to me too. Why can't I find secret rooms with Asuna then cook her a nice dinner?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tae posted:

Imagine being this NISA

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
im listening to the etrian odyssey 3 ost because of gamaetal and it's pretty rockin, but also sounds like it was made on the genesis

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Relin posted:

im listening to the etrian odyssey 3 ost because of gamaetal and it's pretty rockin, but also sounds like it was made on the genesis

Primarily the PC-88 actually, EO was a throwback to the dungeon crawling games like Wizardry which were super popular in Japan back in the day, so the composer chose it for a more authentic and nostalgic old-school sound.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tae posted:

The biggest criticism I have of NNK2 is that it's extremely too easy.

I wish it were available at launch but fortunately they have put out an update with harder difficulty options. Better late than never I suppose!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Primarily the PC-88 actually, EO was a throwback to the dungeon crawling games like Wizardry which were super popular in Japan back in the day, so the composer chose it for a more authentic and nostalgic old-school sound.
I always liked that Etrian Odyssey's "thing" was having FM Synthesis OSTs straight out of the 8/90s. Later on it became an optional toggle and by 5 it's become a post launch DLC purchase but I'm glad it's still around in some forn because it's still pretty awesome stuff.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Tae posted:

I love how the game is launching with crash issues. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mill Village posted:

I love how the game is launching with crash issues. :allears:

It's a multi-platform title on what should be a standardized engine across all platforms. They have to actively try to gently caress that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Trails of Cold Steel: Do bonding points carry over to the next free day or should I just use all of them up? I just started and on my first free day but don't really feel like using it on the characters available, unless they go away once the day progresses.