Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I just love how anytime Dr O shows up his theme starts blaring so loud and during that moment you quote I was laughing way too hard for a few minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's great and I grin every time I hear that dramatic music.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

... What the hell is this thing made of? :crossarms:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
On Hank chat, we cannot forget when he whooped The Monarchs rear end as Wonder Boy!

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
WOOOONDER BOOOOOY!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Gotta give it to Kevin Conroy for being a sport voicing Captain Sunshine. I think in the commentary they were worried but Conroy was on board from the getgo.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It was a goddamn great episode. Plus Ghost Robot!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Shindragon posted:

Gotta give it to Kevin Conroy for being a sport voicing Captain Sunshine. I think in the commentary they were worried but Conroy was on board from the getgo.

I enjoyed how they said they had to get him to dial it down a bit too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Exactly, failure is one of the show's themes, but people miss that it isn't supposed to be just about people failing, it's about how people react to failure and try to move past it whether they succeed at that or not

There was a time when a lot of the setting and background was about the failures of the 1960’s promises for a bright, perfect future and contrasting the young Rusty as the hope of a golden tomorrow with grown Rusty as a damaged, bitter cynic.

But like Moral Orel, it seems like the show realized it was more interesting to care about the characters instead of poo poo on them, so now it’s just as much about the kids’ possibilities for good adult lives. There’s a statement about generational difference in there for someone who knows about that stuff: Jonas was a classic Silent who ended up with Rusty, who’s like early Gen X, and his kids are millennials I guess, mostly because they kept being reborn at 15.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"Oh poo poo, it's Chuck Scarsdale! Hide or we'll be on the news" is one of my all time favorite lines.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Shindragon posted:

I seriously wish there is a record of all the times Conroy went off-script during his VA work as Batman.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sash! posted:

I don't think I had actually seen it a second time until recently. I liked it way more the second time when I knew how to read it as something other than a child abuse joke.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

qirex posted:

"Oh poo poo, it's Chuck Scarsdale! Hide or we'll be on the news" is one of my all time favorite lines.

This is one of my favorites reading, right up there with "the lightning cannon sucks"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

And COPTER FIIIIVE because who among us didn't have a local TV station with an insane commercial for their helicopter.

https://youtu.be/yCaRnvaEEY4
Mine had SPACE SHUTTLE TECHNOLOGY

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sash! posted:

And COPTER FIIIIVE because who among us didn't have a local TV station with an insane commercial for their helicopter.

https://youtu.be/yCaRnvaEEY4
Mine had SPACE SHUTTLE TECHNOLOGY

it was a weird time when news stations in every major city across America had the budget for a helicopter.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Cojawfee posted:

it was a weird time when news stations in every major city across America had the budget for a helicopter.

back in the day it was the only reliable way to have traffic reports. now people can just look at their fuckin phone.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

feedmyleg posted:

I don't think I had actually seen it a second time until recently. I liked it way more the second time when I knew how to read it as something other than a child abuse joke.

Its ironic that MJ died like a month before the airing, but the epp was written and probably finished like a year before his death.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm kinda amused by the idea that whether or not he actually sexually abuses his sidekicks is almost academic because as is obvious from Self-Medication, being a superhero sidekick ends up almost as traumatising an experience anyway.

And the supervillain/hero/scientist community being both full of sex creeps and likened to the celebrity and show business community (and mingling with it) turned out to be depressively prophetic.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

But why did the original Captain Sunshine become his butler? That seems like a terrible job for an ex superhero.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alfred was the real villain.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
It could be kind of a reverse Bruce/Terry thing from Batman Beyond.

No one would believe Chuck Scarsdale would help out an old guy after a certain age. He just slides over and becomes a butler to keep on guiding.. or keep an eye on Cap Sunshine to make sure he doesn't go completely nutso.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sometimes you just wanna retire. Being a Butler in a giant mansion wouldn't be a bad way to go about it if you didn't want to step away from the superhero world entirely.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Too bad the same can’t be said for Manotaur. RIP

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I prefer the idea that he doesn't violate them, he's just weirdly obsessive, which makes it slightly less terrible. It still makes everyone who "knows" that he's molesting his wonder boys awful.

Probably he's doing it all because of whatever messed him up when he was Wonder Boy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The Monarch probably nailed it. Captain Sunshine likely *really wants to*, but won't, either because of moral reasons, or because he knows the moment he does, OSI agents are probably going to rappel out of hoverjets and jam him full of Nomolestol, and the original Captain Sunshine is likely going to strip him of his title and powers.

It's probably also the only thing that keeps his "news team" together. Hence the "aww, Cap...another one?"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
season 4 really went all-in on the child-molesting jokes

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

TBH the show relies a little too much on pedophile jokes. Its understandable, giving that its about child adventurers, but still.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Monarch probably nailed it. Captain Sunshine likely *really wants to*, but won't, either because of moral reasons, or because he knows the moment he does, OSI agents are probably going to rappel out of hoverjets and jam him full of Nomolestol, and the original Captain Sunshine is likely going to strip him of his title and powers.

It's probably also the only thing that keeps his "news team" together. Hence the "aww, Cap...another one?"

No. The joke was that Captain Sunshine is a ridiculously innocent/naive guy who can't see how creepy he's coming off. He's Adam West's Batman living in a modern, post-Jason Todd world. "Another one?" referred to another sidekick to potentially get murdered. He's a nonsexual character from a more innocent time where having a young male ward was possible, contrasted with a cynical world that assumes the worst. It's the audience who are the monsters.

It's Doc and Jackson actually commenting on their own overuse of pedo jokes.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

SlothfulCobra posted:

Probably he's doing it all because of whatever messed him up when he was Wonder Boy.

Monarch told us what he did. In his drunken tirade he murdered Wonder Boy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rs7VVjz5A8

Probably my favorite thing about this show is how they will mention a hilarious incident and do a callback. Monarch before arching Rusty, did a huge bluff and told Captain Sunshine he was invunerable. And then in this episode Sunshine just shoots a ray of sun at him, thinking he can't kick his rear end. :allears:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 24, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reminded of how the OSI treated Ghost Robot like a civilian. I suppose most of the super-spy types probably treat all superhero types as powerful idiots.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
An exchange that always makes me laugh despite how simple it is (I think I just like answers yelled from off-screen) is this one :

I thought for sure you were going to hit me with "Let's lock and load!".
The night is still young!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I mean, its the kind of simple thing dumb nerds will latch onto that makes them feel like they "got it". Even Doc and Jackson regret saying it so long ago.
I heard about that, do you remember where they said that?

Sash! posted:

Didn't they spent three minutes discussing how handsome he is too?

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 24, 2018

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
What episode is the clones death montage?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

deong posted:

What episode is the clones death montage?

Season 2 episode 1 I think.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I love the start of season2 so drat much. Brock hunting Doc through all those different settings while "Everybody's Free" plays :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0t76ktRwt0

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I love the start of season2 so drat much. Brock hunting Doc through all those different settings while "Everybody's Free" plays :allears:

this montage is one of my favorite parts of the entire show

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I only wish they didn't have to speed up the animation so much once they found out they'd be able to afford that song after all.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

My interest in the show had been piqued by episodes like "Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean," and it had grown with "Careers in Science" and "Escape to the House of Mummies Part II," but it was the Season 1 finale ("Return to Spider Skull Island") and the Season 2 opener ("Powerless in the Face of Death") that cemented my love of the show, making it go from "Hey, this show is cool" to "I can't ever miss an episode of this show."

I mean, the opening montage lets you catch up with all the main players, and you get to see something that, surprisingly, they never really show again: Doc having an honest-to-goodness breakdown. Turns out that the 14th time was the charm; the guy'd finally had enough, and he fell back on his boy adventurer skills to escape himself. But of course he Docs it up with the newfangled "feel-good candy" and has to get dragged back to reality by Brock.

Then the ending montage with all the deaths... hilarious. And in later seasons, you get callbacks to them.

I also loved Doc's reaction to being split into at least two parts (we'd later find out it was 3) by his brother's unfinished teleporter. He doesn't freak out. No, he basically rolls his eyes, gets annoyed at his brother, and takes it all in stride. (Bonus points for the stinger at the end with Monarch stumbling across Doc's shoulder and hand, which help him out of the pipe; I love that deadpan "What?" he says.)

Too bad Ronald Reagan bounced that check, huh?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And then the very next episode you get the Henchmen suiting back up singing Mars by Holst. If there's any single thing I love more than the "Everybody's Free" montage, it's that loving scene.

The one-two punch that began S2, holy hell, TV's never been better

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

And then the very next episode you get the Henchmen suiting back up singing Mars by Holst. If there's any single thing I love more than the "Everybody's Free" montage, it's that loving scene.

The one-two punch that began S2, holy hell, TV's never been better

I still remember the first time I watched that scene. Hilarious dialog, then Monarch calls, complaining about how his cocoon is blown up and sideways (even though he told them to do it), and he ends up falling into a door... which opens up after a beat, causing him to fall further. Then the mouthed sound effects as 21 gets his outfit out while pretending that his closet is a suit vault from a Batman movie. But the part that floored me was when he suddenly started singing along to what was until then just build-up background music. Then 24 drives up, singing the lower brass part... too funny.

(Jupiter from Planets makes an appearance at the end of the episode, too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The transition from the THE MIGHTY MONARCH card to him walking down a hall with a towel on his head singing All Around the World is perfect.