Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Internet Explorer posted:

I like smoking meat.

I don't. And you're all wrong about everything.

I made pork ribs last weekend. They were delicious.

I should find some beef ribs and do a Korean marinade and rub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I made pork ribs in the Instant Pot last weekend. They were good.

https://iwashyoudry.com/instant-pot-baby-back-pork-ribs/ (I used apple juice / apple cider instead of water)

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Anyone here have or use a Oklahoma Joe Highland before?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Internet Explorer posted:

Wow. That's a pretty ballsy thing to admit in this thread. Props. :cheeky:

Yeah, that is part of why I love my beef ribs. The only "too rich" part about them is their seeming inability to get much wine flavor from braising.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

atothesquiz posted:

I totally get it. I love me some nicely done beef ribs and brisket but I've definitely over done it in the past and wish I ate a bit less. As for prices, beef ribs aren't exactly cheap considering you're paying for the weight of the bone too, I pay about $5-$6 for prime plate short ribs at the butcher.

That's crazy. At the SLC costco they are(were last I bought them) like $3.50/lb for a 30 pound pack of dinosaur sized ribs. I never ever buy those stubby little "short" ribs. Only reason I no longer keep a bunch frozen is the untimely death of our 2nd freezer 8(

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

These are what I have available in western NY. They're about 10" or 12" square before the smoke. Finding a decent brisket is even harder. Our costco doesn't carry packers either.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's hard to find brisket in FL too. At least pork belly is showing up more commonly now.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I just checked and a half rack of beef ribs cooked is 40 here and 16 for pork. I don't think I've ever seen raw beef ribs on sale. Pork is about 1.80 lb

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

For those with less money, there is an alternative, at least in Detroit...
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/06/20/serial-killer-kelly-cochran-bbq-michigan/716988002/

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

atothesquiz posted:

These are what I have available in western NY. They're about 10" or 12" square before the smoke. Finding a decent brisket is even harder. Our costco doesn't carry packers either.

What percentage of fat do you look for on these? Is it even possible to specify?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

atothesquiz posted:

Seems to me that you could just order a standing rib roast. I live in expensive as gently caress boston and I can get choice usually for ~$13/lb bone in. Cut it yourself into ribs and rib-eyes.

A 4 rib joint is around 6-8 lbs which would easily make 6 thick rib-eyes and you can leave as much meat on the bone as you want.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ribs go on sale here frequently. Pick up full racks for $4 each sometimes. Corned beef for st. Patties goes down to $2/lb. Regular brisket? Never on sale for any reason and is $8/lb.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

atothesquiz posted:

Sup wny buddy.. where's you get those ribs?
Pretty sure tops has packers in the back but they are like 6.99 a pound though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Picked up 2 pork tenderloins, a small pork shoulder, and 4 bones of beef ribs that appear to have most of a roast still attached to them. Looking forward to a few days of smoking!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
So, I spied a grill at our church's annual garage sale yesterday (was dropping stuff off, sale starts tomorrow). I think it's a Chargriller, and it's gas. I don't plan to buy it, but I am helping with loading the trucks to haul stuff away. If it's still there, then I'll just load it in mine.

Thing is, what I saw of it (tank tray bit) was rusty, so the rest of it might not be worth bothering with. On the other hand... what's parts availability like / would it be worth it? I've already got a charcoal grill and a small smoker. On the other hand, free grill maybe...

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

tater_salad posted:

Sup wny buddy.. where's you get those ribs?
Pretty sure tops has packers in the back but they are like 6.99 a pound though.

Rubinos in Irondequoit, north of Rochester is a good source for prime beef ribs, which is where I got those. Walmart is usually the most reliable source for packers at 3ish a pound around Rochester. I've never seen packers at Tops though, do you happen to know the quality?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have a chargriller offset smoker and I would not recommend it to someone else. I can’t speak for the propane grill, but the offset is not well constructed in my opinion.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I also can't speak to the gas grill, but I have this item from Char Griller:

http://a.co/fIx81dN

and it is freaking fantastic. Obviously it's not going to compete with a $900 egg but I think I could make it get pretty darn close. Rides 250 like a steady champ for hours on hours, but I can't really seem to get it much lower.

I also paid just $175 for it on clearance at Target two years ago.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

atothesquiz posted:

Rubinos in Irondequoit, north of Rochester is a good source for prime beef ribs, which is where I got those. Walmart is usually the most reliable source for packers at 3ish a pound around Rochester. I've never seen packers at Tops though, do you happen to know the quality?

No I don't usually need a full 10ish lb brisket because it's 2 of us usually. So I rarely need that much brisket it's 2 of us. I usually grab from Wegmans since they have smaller cuts.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

arisu posted:

and it is freaking fantastic. Obviously it's not going to compete with a $900 egg but I think I could make it get pretty darn close. Rides 250 like a steady champ for hours on hours, but I can't really seem to get it much lower.

That sounds like a pretty great machine. I run at 225F (want to try 200 for fish), but 250F honestly is probably not much different. My large BGE was a gift from my real estate agent; I’m not sure I would have bought one myself vs some other grill-smoker setup. I like it, but $$$.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

arisu posted:

Yep, it's happy to cruise at 250-275.

But for the price, it ranks up there as best smoker cheap money can buy.

And boy can it get hot.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I posted about my Char-Griller combo propane/charcoal grill a while back. The charcoal side is decent for grilling but you could never smoke on it, it's leaky as gently caress. The gas side on the other hand is a bitch. With just one burner on low it gets up to 400F and with all 3 burners going on low it's around 550-600, all 3 on high and it's 700+. There is no low setting for the gas side, it's Chargrilling constantly. I make due by either leaving the lid open or being super fastidious about turning my hotdogs so they dont burn in a minute.

I only use the gas side for fast cooking poo poo like hotdogs and carne asada.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I wanted to smoke some ribs today but it's pissing rain out. gently caress to this

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VERTiG0 posted:

I wanted to smoke some ribs today but it's pissing rain out. gently caress to this

I just beat the rain to put some beef ribs on. Let's see if it lets up before I have to take them off.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

VERTiG0 posted:

I live in a pretty janky apartment but it has a covered porch and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
To my surprise, costco ribs have 3 racks per package. These definitely do not fit flat on one grate of this wsm but I'm making it happen anyways.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

gwrtheyrn posted:

To my surprise, costco ribs have 3 racks per package. These definitely do not fit flat on one grate of this wsm but I'm making it happen anyways.

It really depends on the pack you get. Sometimes I can get all three on even the lower rack, sometimes I struggle to fit three on the top rack.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

ROJO posted:

It really depends on the pack you get. Sometimes I can get all three on even the lower rack, sometimes I struggle to fit three on the top rack.

Two of the racks are slightly overlapping and I have almost the entire top rack covered. The meat is probably too close to the air temp probe but whatever, it's pork ribs/shoulder what could go wrong

Edit: Barf, I think it's time to replace this maverick with a smoke or something. The probe I'm using for air temp is reading 50 degrees low in the smoker and was already 4 degrees off at room temp. I have a thermaq+probes but there's no remote for it and it's like $200 to get one with wifi/bluetooth

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 23, 2018

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Just dropped a 6 lb pork butt that I SV'd for 24 hours on the way to the smoker. It exploded all over the concrete. :(

Picked up and cleaned off what I could god damit I'm not wasting this. Also don't tell my guest.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Fire cleanses all

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

:rip:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

Edit: Barf, I think it's time to replace this maverick with a smoke or something. The probe I'm using for air temp is reading 50 degrees low in the smoker and was already 4 degrees off at room temp. I have a thermaq+probes but there's no remote for it and it's like $200 to get one with wifi/bluetooth

I have the first gen of this: https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7204-i...d4BL&ref=plSrch

It’s fine. Maybe a second or two slower than my thermapen but plenty accurate.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It took my 3-bone beef ribs like 13 hours to get to 200 yesterday, with a pit temp of 225 (250 for the last 45 mins). How can that possibly be?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Murgos posted:

I have the first gen of this: https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7204-i...d4BL&ref=plSrch

It’s fine. Maybe a second or two slower than my thermapen but plenty accurate.

Just got an older one of these the other day for like 30bux from meh... My old one is missing after a move.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Murgos posted:

Maybe a second or two slower than my thermapen but plenty accurate.

How are you checking accuracy? Just boiling and ice water?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Accuracy as checked by spot checking with the thermapen.

Every time I’ve calibrated the thermapen it’s +/- 1 degree at 32 and 212.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, yeah. Mine too. Thanks!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Doing a single rack of spare ribs today. https://imgur.com/a/jjG5irJ

Going to try to fuss with this mediocre smoker less. Currently riding at ~250*F, let’s see how long it will stay above 225 for. I usually go through 8 pounds of charcoal for an extended cook, but i just added gasket tape to a few more leaky spots so maybe things will be improved today. I’ve also started using a water pan and a couple foil wrapped bricks in the cooking chamber.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'm new to smoking/low and slow and am doing it on a Weber kettle (with no slow and sear). Been using it basically every weekend or more since I got it last month.

Every time I set up for a low temp cook I go "ok, today I'm not going to light too much charcoal and then have to wait for an hour till I can get this grill under 300" and then I go do exactly that again.

Also I managed to bend one of the metal blades on the on the bottom vent control at some point using it to sweep ash/bits of whatever into the ash catcher, so I don't think I'm really getting a proper seal from it anymore. Dunno if that's effecting things but I tried playing with it and couldn't figure out how to bend it back unless I take the whole thing apart which I don't really want to do.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CRISPYBABY posted:

Every time I set up for a low temp cook I go "ok, today I'm not going to light too much charcoal and then have to wait for an hour till I can get this grill under 300" and then I go do exactly that again.

I put a pile of unlit coals in the little bins my Weber came with and filled those with unlit coals. The bins were arraigned with the long ends congruent.

Then I lit 12 coals and the when they were ready I put them on top of the unlit coals. The temp stayed low and the coals burned for well over 5 hours.

I’m considering getting a slow and sear just for ease of use and repeatability but it works fine without it.